Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Klaz you criticise me for nitpicking. Then have a go at trying to nit pick at me personally.

Can you tone down the ad hominems there.

Off topic too but in reply Charlie is dead and Bertie is hardly a political heavy weight in this country any longer.

But sure you will probably throw another ad hominem my way rather than actually address anything in my posts as is your way.

Well maybe you want to explain why we should judge people from multiple countries who happen to share a religion based on the belief of a particular group who account for 0.00011111111% of total number of said religion.

Would it make sense to judge a whole 1.8 billion people on the beliefs you assume are held by a group totaling just 0.00011111111% of that number?

Robbie, where have I said anything directed at you personally? Personally would suggest that I was saying something about you. As a person. Not the manner of your posts, or the style used while responding to my posts. (unless this is the "you do have a habit of"... which seems a rather weak thing to get bothered over)

And which ad hominem's would they be? You did pluck something minor from a post directed at someone else, you did make a claim about my posting without any evidence of it, and you have sought to argue over a definition.

As for Charlie and Bertie, I made reference to them as examples... which you know very well. You've simply decided to sidestep the point. Again.

As for addressing your post... what points have you made? What is this position that I'm supposed to be addressing? That politicians should be called by the Irish term, or as TDs? Or... what? cause I honestly don't see a position for me to discuss...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, we shouldn't judge the good people, but we absolutely need to judge the religion and the ideology. At least treat it like we treat the far right ideologies, because this is what it is. And we should be very concerned about its growth in Europe, because it brings nothing good.

What are those numbers you are talking about? I think judgment of some groups can come from, for example surveys indicating that "Half of all British Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal". This is so out of lockstep with the rest of the UK that it's quite startling.

Or 23% who want Sharia law in the UK. That's a sizeable chunk of the population. We're not talking about fringe groups here.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

• Advertisement

Judge the idealogy of 1.8 billion people on what exactly Cordell?

Do you really think most of the poor Muslim parents trying to do the best for their families and their children all around the world are all actually secretly plotting to decapitate you?

Well first off that's five years old and second off there is a huge difference between wanting something and being willing to do anything to enact it.

I notice how you ignore how few of them supported terrorism in the same article and how they predominantly felt part of British society. So you took the few negatives and ignored the positive aspects of how they view life in Britain.

Okay. So, let me get this straight. You pluck out something very minor from my post, disregard the rest of the post, and I can't call that nitpicking? Especially when you go on to do the exact same thing again a few posts later? And commenting on someone's style of posting is not an attack.. although I do find this very ironic since you do it quite often about others posting. Guess it's fine when you're the one in the driving seat.

Gotta get back in the habit of ignoring you, Robbie. Thanks for reminding me.

There is that ignoring the actual points again.

Are Bertie and Charlie controlling multiculturalism or what was the purpose of naming them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Multiculturalism has far more positives than negatives. Great to see Ireland becoming truly multicultural. Cead Mile Failte to all the new Irish.

• Advertisement

It's incredibly obvious why they were named. As I said why in the OP... as examples of the political elite (in response to your own questions), and while they're no longer relevant (although we're still experiencing their legacy somewhat), they're incredibly good examples of what politicians can get away with that the rest of Irish people wouldn't.

Still.. you've shown, once again, why I don't want to engage with you. I haven't ignored any of your "points", and have in fact responded to everything directly, except the last series of questions which were intended as a way to derail the thread. So.. no.. not ignoring any points. Now, I'm just going to return to ignoring you. Simple enough.

Well... a few pages back, Wibbs asked for all these benefits/positives of multiculturalism, and there was a gaping silence.

Well actually that's not true is it klaz. Wibbs caveated his question by excluding arts food and sports etc.

So in response I asked about the positives of Irish society with the same caveats and guess what we got there?

Guinnes farts and nothing else positive about Irish society.

But you know why that was klaz because its a stupid question.

It is incredibly obvious because you are trying to link multiculturalism to the corruption of Charlie and Bertie.

Its similar in reason to why you called the elected government of Ireland "political elites" because you are trying to make it seem like the decisions they make do not have popular support of the majority. That some elite unelected body is foisting multiculturalism on the people of Ireland against their will.

That is disingenuous at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Didn't see the latest request for this but I know all suggestions in the past were dismissed as being inconsequential.

At least some of the ones I've either mentioned, or seen mentioned include;

Exposure to shared music, fashion, cuisine, sport etc are some of the obvious ones which most people experience every day or several times a week. These are ones about each of which a book or several books could, or have been written, about how much joy people get from experiencing these things or creating new versions with overlap from their original components.

Cultural insights in to targeting new markets due to having people from that country/culture within the company to aid with product design, strategic planning, marketing etc etc is a significant one for business. That's not to mention the practical advantage of having a native speaker to be a point of contact with representatives from elsewhere.

A very significant premise of the act of tourism could be said to be based on multiculturalism and the eagerness people have to experience things outside their norm. And how much industry, jobs, money, memories etc are created and enjoyed as a consequence of this shared experience?

Shared collaboration in fields of technology, science, medicine are more likely to happen when people have casual/social interactions through which friendships can form which will help strengthen professional communication. That's not to mention the skills which have originated and been passed down largely within a specific culture and which are best shared through tacit communication of people working together rather than just via a webpage.

Fulfilling a moral obligation in helping those in need is something which some countries such as Ireland benefitted from in the past and benefit from doing likewise now that we are in a position to do so. That's not to mention the obligations other countries have in supporting people displaced as a consequence of the actions of many countries either recently or in the not too distant past of some of the countries in which people such as your good selves are vehemently arguing should not have to put up with immigrants from the lands they helped disturb.

And a big one in the world which is the 21st century is that the more interaction there is between people, and the more there are collective groups within different countries then the more likely such countries are to realise that people are very similar and ultimately want the same thing (peace and a reasonable shot at a positive outlook in life) and a mutually beneficial approach to disagreements/negotiations is better for all involved. People talk about the rising dangers as a consequence of multiculturalism in Europe, Europe has seen is most peaceful period since the foundation of the EU (whatever it was originally called) when the integration of people of different cultures (yes different cultures existed and still do within Europe) showed how not everything had to be resolved through threats/barriers/conflict.

So, why don't you, or anyone else talk about what are the negatives of multiculturalism but before you do, let me point out that religious fanatics or fanatics of other persuasions exist within the boundaries of every country. We also see people complain, vehemently, about social welfare dependent societies in other countries as well so again, this already exists. Are immigrants responsible for rising house prices in Ireland or increased education or medical costs in the US? It was those of an imperialist/nativist nature in the UK who sought to economically hamstring that country through seeking to move towards isolation rather than continued integration with Europe. If 1000 people a year are killed in the US through terrorism carried out by immigrants (a vastly inflated number), should efforts to stop this massively outweigh the efforts to stem gun violence in that country which kills 30 or 40 times the number of people every year? We've seen groups of sexual predators find likeminded people within the catholic church, within police forces, within the boy scouts, within sporting organisations etc, etc in western countries so don't pretend that such crimes would not exist if all people from the middle east are kept out of western countries or whatever. I'm not pretending, nor have I ever, that every person from every culture will dance hand in hand with each other without a problem but I am saying that where we are at as a species now, the engagement and interaction of people of different cultures is likely to be more beneficial than to be problematic on the whole. And I say that as someone proud of Irelands cultural heritage and I have no desire to supplant that overnight but I don't think that that is going to happen.

One final point I would make is that even the fact that you, or whoever is asking the question specifically about the benefits of multiculturalism, undermines the points that were being made on this thread this morning where it was said people had no problem with immigrants, it was just those who overstay their visas or try to enter a country illegally is the problem. Asking that question, and implying that there was gaping silence (and as I've said it's been answered here before) is making it clear that some people do not think there are benefits to the interaction of people of different cultures. This is not just about legal pathways or or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

A lot of waffle from Tell Me How there, his main benefits are:

*Exposure to shared music, fashion, cuisine, sport etc-Pretty sure we can get these benefits by going to the Ethnic food section in the shop/Spotify

*Cultural insights in to targeting new markets-Yes, so allow in high skilled migrants with the correct qualifications perhaps and not every Tom, Dick and Mohammed?

*Tourism-Not really multiculturism though, is it? I have no problem with people staying in Ireland for a holiday.

*Shared collaboration in fields of technology, science, medicine- Again, this is great, we should only alow in high skilled migrants with the correct qualifications

*Fulfilling a moral obligation in helping those in need-moral obligation? Surely a tiny country on the edge of Europe with a vastly different society to where these people originate are one of the last countries to have any obligation? i.e Saudi, Bahrain, Qutar, UAE, Turkey would have a much bigger obligation to take in Afghanis/Syrians.

*Will help realise that people are very similar and ultimately want the same thing-Hippy shite, thats the problem, many of those from outside the EU coming here are so blinded by Religion that they believe their version of society should be superimposed on the hosts society. If anything, multiculturism is more divisive for society....

-Anyway, Surely we can get all these supposed great benefits but still only allow immigration from within the EU? (where there is quite a lot of unemployment)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

^^^ Why doesn't this surprise me, previous poster was complaining when there was 'gaping silence' to a question, when a detailed response is given, it's waved off as being 'a lot of waffle'.

Interesting how you ignored the part of my post where I asked for someone to specifically state the problems they have with multiculturalism.

You didn't answer that, but you're blase comments about Spotify, discounting tourism as not being multiculturalism when it shows a specific desire to experience, interact and learn about about other cultures and how you are ok with people of different cultures coming to Ireland as long as they are educated and from the EU does paint a picture of why you have an issue with anything beyond that.

Maybe you might answer my question in your next post.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Despite the temptation of a few extra spicy dishes in the chipper, bottom line is nobody wants to live in a country with parallel societies because that's what happens and has happened everywhere where people have flooded in from different cultures all across Europe. In a scenario like that there will be people who will adapt and integrate with our values, but the majority won't - just like in France, Belgium, Germany and wherever it might be. Who'd be stupid enough to think it would be any different here? Polls show the majority of Europeans are against it.

I'm not against anyone immigrating from any country to this one once they're willing to work and integrate.

Disingenuous? The pot calling the kettle black.

Just as you're jumping to conclusions again about what I'm supposedly trying to say... even though, I haven't even come close to saying it. Which is funny, since I'm usually articulate enough to express something as basic as that.

No, Robbie, I'll ignore you because I have no desire to be baited into being banned.

If you are articulate enough just say it then. Don't run away from discussion.

Why not have a go at giving me the positives for Irish society with all Wibbs caveats in place seeing as you were bringing that ridiculous question back up again.

I mean you could deal with my points or you can throw ad hominems as usual.

• Advertisement

Hmm... first I insinuated that there was a gaping silence to the benefits, and then, I also complained? When in fact, I made a direct statement in response to another posters own statement. And the statement I made was accurate. Wibbs did repeatedly request the benefits of multiculturalism, pointing out the superficial responses that had been received so far... which you have decided to repeat once more. All of the things you mention, could be (and were acquired/accessed) without the numbers of immigrants encouraged under the agenda of multiculturalism.

As for your detailed response, you provide a number of answers. Grand... but the majority of your answer is not related to the benefits of multiculturalism, along with a nice little piece about a moral obligation to do whatever.. and as for the negatives, they've been discussed to death on this thread many times already.. which you were previously a part of. So, no, I'm not in a rush to answer you, because I suspect that they'll be ignored again, just as you did before.

My statement about a gaping silence was for a new poster to the thread, and I was curious as to what they would say.

Here we go again. An attempt to reduce all immigrants to being nothing more than at best a chip shop owner.

Look around the country and you will see immigrants as owners and staff of all kinds of business's but you want you want to demean and belittle their positives.

Then you make a wild nonsense claim that the majority of immigrants in Belgium, France and Germany don't integrate.

The vast majority of immigrants do integrate into their host country. The overwhelming majority of imigrants to Ireland do integrate.

In any study I have seen the majority of Irish people have found the recent immigration to be a positive thing but I take it you know better.

haha... Complaining of ad hominems, while throwing out your own ad hominems.

Nah. There's no point, because there is no genuine discussion with you.

You are dragging the discussion off topic now but what exactly was an ad hominem in my post?

Back on topic. Any chance you could give me one of those positives for Irish culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Healthier cuisine pallet. I rarely eat over salted Bacon and cabbage these days.

The typical irish diet is not healthy

https://www.tcd.ie/news_events/articles/new-studies-show-irish-diet-is-unsustainable-nutritionally-financially-and-ethically/

And cuisine being used as a positive was one of the caveated topics by wibbs in his original question.

As another aside I don't think bacon and cabbage is a great dish its bland and salty boiled crap. Bluegh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

There aren't 1.8bn muslims in Europe, where all of the attacks Wojtek brought up. You go into micro detail on other peoples posts, then expect people to look at macro detail on yours. A very dishonest way to debate.

Are Muslim immigrants to Ireland predominantly coming from Europe or africa/Asia.

I never once stated there was 1.8 billion Muslims in Europe. And when I used the 1.8 billion figure I was comparing to the taliban reference. Unless I am mistaken the taliban is not based in Europe either so usage of global Muslims is a valid figure.

Then you throw an ad hominem at me and accuse me of debating dishonestly. Shame on you.

Edit: in fact in the post you quoted i pointed out Muslim immigrants come from multiple countries and there is not one mention of Europe.

Honestly focus on the content of my post and stop trying to attack me personally.

I don't think they are all secretly plotting to decapitate non-muslims. But they certainly harbour hostility, and look down upon non-muslims. Some of it manifests itself violently, through the truck attacks, concert bombings of little girls etc. But there is also a low-level, day to day resentment that doesn't necessarily show itself up on crime statistics or deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Lets have a list of positives? No one has been able to provide one so far, except foreign food.

Advertisement