Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

hmmm wrote: »
    It kindof wasn't, certainly not in comparison to other parts of Europe. Some places you weren't allowed leave your home.

So there's some other reason for the drop. Disappointing tweet in my view.

It was longer than any other in Europe though, Italy had most of the country opened and we could only go 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Is it time to bring this topic back from the dead?

I think if cases picked up over winter and other countries blink then we'll follow as we have done since the start.

The problem is, there is no solution available if everyone is vaccinated and we still need lockdown. At that point, you'd have to announce that restrictions could be permanent.

I don't think it will happen. But we are already seeing articles pop up about vaccine efficacy waning.

Its important to remember that a lot of people don't want to let go of the pandemic too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I can't be arsed reading 28 pages but I don't think another lockdown is on the cards as things currently stand. Anyway lockdowns don't seem to work particularly well against this variant if you look at Aus and NZ. Lockdowns here are triggered by predictions indicating that health service capacity will be surpassed. I don't know if that's really possible with the level of vaccination we have now. If the vaccines effectiveness wanes with time booster shots or new vaccines will be the solution not lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭brickster69

No one knows how things will go for sure in the next 6 weeks or so but it looks to me, that Ireland's main problem is going to be if things get bad enough that it's health service won't be able to cope more than anything else. If it does then you can imagine restrictions added but not a full lock down hopefully.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Across the pond the delta variation is forcing school districts that just opened days ago to close. Especially in the Deep South states where scientific caution was thrown away and substituted by nonsense politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Fookin hell! You’d be fed up even talking about it at this stage. When I look back at March 2020, the panic shopping and the loo roll nonsense, that honestly feels like 20 years ago. Now we have Vaccines (and very appreciative that we have them) but sometimes i feel like we don’t even have them as far as Covid is still a dark cloud hanging over us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

There are still millions of Americans who refuse to get vaccinated, even though there is a surplus of vaccines and medical providers to dose them quickly and for free. Even after FDA official approval this week, it is anticipated that millions will continue to refuse. This is a public health crises on a USA national scale that allows a large enough population pool to increase the likelihood of evolving COVID variations.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

I'd guess if we start approaching 800 - 1,000 in hospital, the lockdown talk will start coming back from our great leaders.

We had 248 in hospital this day last week, 323 in hospital today, 500 in hospital won't be long coming round at that rate

All rising from the lowest point of the year of 42 in hospital 7 weeks ago at beginning of July

A 75 increase from 18/08/21 - 25/08/21, if that keeps up we are looking at 800 - 1,000 in about 8 -10 weeks which is late October/early November

Which is exactly the time we hade our lockdown 2.0 last year.

This year's trend looks very similar to last year, only alot more aggresive

I really hope they don't intoduce that 5km bollox again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

So-called "lockdowns" never worked against any variant (or the original). They are a crime against humanity, and those responsible need to be punished in the most severe (and brutal) way imaginable. It is totalitarianism, pure and simple, and these are unquestionably Acts of Treason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I don't see a return to lockdown. Delta should burn its way through in the coming weeks that plus the almost full vaccination of our population should bring it well under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 suspiciousMind

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Username2017

Probably. So shocked Irish people are allowing this insanity.

what are you shocked about? is it the social distancing or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Has that happened in any country yet?

Vaccine bringing things under control?

The bs of having to produce a medical document in order to sit in costa and have a coffee.

Jaysus, i didnt think you would need to show that for a bleedin coffee !!.. thats a bit much alright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭touts

Not going to happen. Vaccines may not be as effective as we hoped but they will still do enough to keep it from exploding again. Long term I imagine we will see things like mask wearing being lifted and reimposed as we cycle through the variants. You may see venues in certain areas being told to cut capacity by 50% but not close completely. Working from home will be encouraged but mainly for the other benefits (climate change, rural regeneration, personal lives etc). Beyond that sort of thing we are not going back to the lockdowns again in the next 20 years for anything short of a asteroid hitting earth.

At 2000 cases a day,with 20% total population unvaxxinated.....would take 500 days surely,if it was only infecting unvaxinated people?

I dont think there a lockdown etc coming and feel once everyone who wants a vaxxine (incl folks who want kids done),it would be wrong to lockdown and present restrictions impossible to maintain....but suggestions it to burn through etc in mere weeks,seem mathimatically impossible

You have to assume the 2000 aren’t all the cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

we are probably still in level 2 insane seems vaccines dont work but many still want restrictions because its not effecting them

The Common Cold

First year since i can remember i've not had one in 18 months i'd say

I'd credit it to mask wearing in shops etc. is there a possibility of my immune system getting a bit lax, chillin out maybe !! i personally dont think it's a great thing, i think your immune system needs to keep fighting the little bugs and colds to stay strong. what yis reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If they have another lockdown, any distance restrictions will be completely ignored by almost everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

Was it asked why the gov/ NPHET followed China's approach?

The present figures are 70% of cases are unvacinated

If your vaxinated and close contact etc,you dont need a test,nor restrict movements, (uk is stricter than here)which i was suprised to find out

Now i do accept a large % of unvax are bit mad and think its a fake/hoax etc etc (work with more than one),and unlikely to go for a test.

But noone seems to be willing to put a guestimate on what the figures are......even if its as high as 4K a day all unvax with 50% not testìng...your still talking 250 days or 8 months like....the suggestion of mere weeks seems wildly optimistic and unrealistic unfortunately (still dont think a lockdown etc will come again either,but as a waterford hurling supporter will tell you,blind optimism will get you nowhere neither)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Delat is infecting the vaccinated too but there are usually mild illness, in fact it may well act as a booster! Delta hasn't accelerated as you would expect because of the vaccine in fact it is bouncing around the 1,500 - 2000 level for a while. Anyway time will tell if I am right soon.

They definitely worked Richard. Popular too. No uprising expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

NPHET said yesterday they expect the peak of this wave to be in September with anywhere between 2000 and 4000 cases per day - by then anyone who wants to be vaccinated will be as fully protected as they can be (with 2 doses and the waiting period for effectiveness) . BUT even with this kind of numbers they were talking about opening up rather than locking down. They were also talking about getting rid of the covid cert requirements other than for foreign travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

They absolutely did not work. You can't control a virus - it is profoundly arrogant to pretend that you can. It is also completely and entirely unethical. I am my own property - not the property of the State. They have no business telling me how to live my life and they need to be punished in the most severe way imaginable for these crimes against humanity. They are pondlife.

Beware of the risen people who shall take what ye would not give.

Advertisement