Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭bmc58

snipey wrote: »
    Believe it or not they actually do pay for their skips but for some reason they don't use them, they would rather dump their rubbish out on the road, I can't understand why, just their breeding, just look at the rubbish all the way up the road.

I know.I go up that hill regulary to bring/collect my brother from Abbot.Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

I don't know any of "them" personally, nor do I often have reason to go up that way so I'm not familiar with the area but I'm guessing there's children living on that site and basic facilities are the very least they deserve. There's a world of studies been done to show how children have better outcomes as adults the better standard of living they have so the development of better facilities for Travellers can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

julyjane wrote: »
    I don't know any of "them" personally, nor do I often have reason to go up that way so I'm not familiar with the area but I'm guessing there's children living on that site and basic facilities are the very least they deserve. There's a world of studies been done to show how children have better outcomes as adults the better standard of living they have so the development of better facilities for Travellers can only be a good thing.

the children are the main problem, with the things they are doing to the neighbouring estates, with the theft of bicycle's and children's toy's etc , throwing stone's at passing cars, the list is endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Believe it or not they actually do pay for their skips but for some reason they don't use them, they would rather dump their rubbish out on the road, I can't understand why, just their breeding, just look at the rubbish all the way up the road.

I would guess and am only guessing that the skips only have to be paid for when they are emptied. So if you don't fill them they don't have to be emptied and therefore no cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,726 ✭✭✭✭dahat

julyjane wrote: »

World of studies is great but common decency & respect to the area doesn’t need better facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

they are refurbing the whole halting site , new kitchens and toilets etc, they are appointing an out side contractor to try and keep it clean and tidy, I'd say best of luck with that one

Any official sources for this? Thinking of buying a house nearby

pooch90 wrote: »
    Any official sources for this? Thinking of buying a house nearby

You have the scoop right here.No need to go further.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

Sad to read of the sudden passing of former Mayor Martin Lonergan. RIP. Only met him a couple of times but he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. He got utterly shafted by Mattie McGrath who dropped him from the "Mattie Team" in the last local election in favour of Mattie's daughter who needed a job after school and wanted Martin's seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nadroir

anyone know number of the local Mr Whippy Ice Cream van ? hoping to hire it for party

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Thought I heard Martin on Tipp Fm saying this was not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

Random question.

Is there anywhere in Clonmel that has cans of Applemans cider?

Seems to be on the missing list for the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

I see Lidl have submitted a formal planning application for a new store on the old Chadwicks site in Queen Street.

Dunnes Stores,Railway off licence have more than enough for you I'd say.

Hope it gets the go ahead.More jobs for people,more competition,good for the customers.All pluses in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Triboro

Anyone know if the walkway around powerstown racecourse is open to the public in the evenings or is it closed off?

Entrance gate to the course and parking is always closed.But people still pop over the gate to do their thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

Do you not think the location will be poor from a traffic point of view?

That stretch of Queen St is already jammed with cars most of the day. A Lidl there is going to make things much worse.

There is a purpose built supermarket with 2 carparks around it slowing rotting away in the Marketplace.

The Ormond Centre, in the Mary St. Car park, has precious little in it.

I realize Lidl and Aldi like to build their stores to a particular spec, but this is a bit daft going out of the immediate town centre again, like the Showgrounds development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

I hadn't thought about it like that but you're right. It will be hard to refuse Lidl on the chadwicks site on traffic grounds when Aldi and Dunnes are a few hundred metres in either direction though.

Such a shame that marketplace is being left to rot but the lack of free parking would probably deter Lidl. Hard to believe there was ever a time that the town centre had 2 supermarkets, Superquinn and Tesco. It's hard to know what will become of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

The access to the old Superquinn site was appalling for HGV's, I don't know how they got stuff in and out.

On other developments, I think JYSK may be about to build a shop on the bypass near Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Anyone know anything about the area around Ard Aoibhinn? Or have lived there/family or friends lived there? Specifically around no.75? Going to go to a viewing over the coming days and wanted to know before going into it. I know there’s a halting site there alright and there’s been works in upgrading it recently (https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/178847/1/0), but it doesn’t seem to come near the house or extend their site.

You make some reasonable points regarding the traffic on Queen Street.But it's not "jammed" most of the day.At times yes,but most of Clonmel is "jammed" at times.If the Market Place was such a prime site,then I wonder why Lidl didn't go there?Did you not wonder why Lidl not go to such a Prime Site?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭klose

That house (smashing one, saw it on daft) is on the entrance/road into the estate, as such it's facing the road that the travellers go up and down some times. The halting site is further up the road and can look an absolute state but it looks like with the recent works going on there should be some improvement a in that regards.

Have chatted to one or two people who said they don't get any hassle from them really, at worst some kids might be in on their bikes or the likes.

Good point, I assume the cost of knocking and rebuilding and the logistics of doing so turnes them off the old superquinn site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Thanks for the info! Was mostly looking to see if there’s any hassle or not, especially since it’s the first house at the entrance..I’ve noticed too over the last two months there’s about 4-5 houses there listed/sold.

I heard on the local news that Clonmel has a very high rate of covid 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Yup... 10 days previous that case number was 37.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Yes, I also heard that we have a Covid spike - not surprising really as social distancing and hand sanitiser is not being adhered to as well as it could. I think we are all getting Covid weary but we need to keep vigilant to protect the vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

It's because Delta is rife in the community. Hearing of multiple cases now from people around the town, thankfully the majority are vaccinated but not all. Schools opening immanently, workers returning to the work place, Hospitals under increasing pressure to to the rise in cases on wards and ICU etc and NEPHET disbanding in October.. We're not there yet.

• Advertisement

Haven't paid much attention to numbers in months but when I used to clonmel alwaysused do quite well, suppose it was always a matter of time before we got a bad dose here.

Advertisement