Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I say marts problem is firstly the amount of time it takes to get sales completed. If a lad is in the box he says yea or nay on the spot. Auctioneer has a chance to get them into a price he is happy with to complete the sale. A few weeks ago I had two out of three lots thrown up as seller was unhappy, I got to bring home 3 cattle instead of 10. I stopped bidding with 20 lots to go.

Finally lads that keep pushing cattle to the limit will be withdrawing up 50 + of there sales.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Did you not try neogitate with the seller trough the mart or was it like the seller was a hundred or more short ,most lads selling will make a deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

That’s why there’s no problem with the home bidder. Only doing what he’d have the auctioneer doing if he was beside him, tell him what he had to get to let them off and push as far as he dare with with phantom bids.

It’s up to the buyer to stop Bass! And if the seller is the highest bidder then that’s that at least you know where you stand and don’t have to wait for phone calls.

That’s a balls of a racket. You shouldn’t have to buy them twice!

A friend of mine, stood in the box and gave the thumbs up for sale for his cattle, turned around and was walking away happy when the auctioneer says “hey sure these are yours as well”. My friend then put on his glasses,(he’s blind as a bat) and realised he’d sold another mans cattle for him before his own come in!

• Advertisement

I was in the office when he was rang. He was pulling two more lots as well that made a nice bit more per Kg than mine. I was dropping out on one lot as it was as there was a runtish bullock in the lot. I have gone another 20 on the other bunch but it was immaterial when he pulled the four lots.

What I was p!ssed off over was the I could have bought a lot or two between than and the end of the mart

Slava Ukrainii

sure there plenty to choose from again this week again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭morphy87

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Nearly all Charolais. I find them as easybas the LM calved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Sold 6 bullocks Monday.Weighed them saturday before and all weighed from 610kg to 695kg.All weighed average 55kg lighter on mart scales.Home scales is checked with 25kg bags and works perfect.50kg at 2.50/2.60euro/kg is a big loss per animal.

I expected 25 or 30kg weight loss but does over 50kg seem excessive?

No it's 8-9% of body weight. A litre of water weights a kg. Have a look inside a trailer sometime 8-10 miles down the road. The steam rising is something else. What size is the slurry tank on a cattle truck is it a cubic meter, that is a ton of liquid. There could be another 2-300lires of sh!t and p!SS on the floor. That is 90%+water.

Most lads do not understand the difference between fresh and mart weight. The factory difference between hot and cold weight of a carcasse is 2% and that is just steam.

As a matter using 28kg bag's how much weight did you put on it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

So the bullock weighing 695 on Saturday made only 640 on Monday ? How long between loading on trailer / truck and mart scales ? Weight loss does seem excessive

I have heard of lads weighing cattle before going to mart and they weighed heavier in a certain mart figure that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭morphy87

Hard to beat the charolais, by your photos your producing top quality stock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’m preaching on here for a long time that lads should be weighing their stock regularly. The weight loss you’ve witnessed is about normal depending on the time frame from loading to sale.

And that weight loss is the reason lads think they’re making factory prices in the mart when they are not. If they were U grade stock I’d expect them to be killing about 55% of their fresh weight in your yard so a 650kg animal would kill about 360kgs. When that animal stands on the scales in the mart weighing 600kgs he will still kill the same 360kgs. So his kill out is now 60% of his mart weight.

That’s the figures the factory men buying heavy stock in the mart work off of but the farmer selling is still working off 55% so he’s missing out on 30kgs of meat and thinks he got a good deal when the reality is the factory man buying him is giving less than the factory value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭amacca

interesting.....is there a way to reduce the weight loss? bar the obvious sell close to you and deliver near the sale time (which isn't always possible)

like would a feed of nuts or a bit hay before they goo be a good idea, does hay take a bit longer to pass through the digestive system.......

Two 25kg bags.Maybe i should use more.Also my own weight is the same as the calibrated scales at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

How long was it between when they stopped eating at urs and stood on the scales in the mart

They were weighed sarurday morning.Got 2kg meal each sat eve and sun eve.Loaded 7am monday morning but weren't sold til 3.30 in afternoon.

• Advertisement

AFAIK a lot of scales weight in 2kg increments. It a common mistake in checking scales accuracy. You would want to put on 150-200kgs in weight to check it accuracy.

A 2% weight difference is 14kgs at 700kgs. Put the bags up one by one and check the weight after every bag. Generally you will see no inaccuracies until 100kgs or more. If you do see inaccuracies at 50kgs usually your scales is well out

Your own weight would be more accurate but you need the exact same clothing and shoes on. However your own bathroom scales may be inaccurate.

Slava Ukrainii

Not really. Very hard to get cattle to eat hay or straw when on grass this time if year. Even if you fed them 4-5kgs of nuts at best it would help retain its own weight in liquid so 10kgs total. But the ration will generally reduce there consumption of other feedstuff and that is if they retain it. You also get dehydration especially in the truck

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zetor 4911

Brought a heifer to the mart 2 weeks ago weighed her at 8.45am before leaving and she was 604Kgs went into the ring at 11.20am and she weighed 580Kgs a loss of 24Kgs. Thought it was a lot to loose in a short time period.

As Bass said above have a look in the trailer when she’s getting out and see what’s on the floor. If you were to gather all that and weigh it how much would it be? And what you see on the floor of the trailer is solids, the urine had to come out as well. An animal that size would let out a few litres of urine every time they go. Each litre weighs 1kg. When they’re standing in the pens they’ll be at the same thing as well.

Allow a bit of weight loss due to stress, sweating etc. and 24kgs on that size of animal isn’t excessive.

It’s all about understanding that and allowing for it when calculating the price you think your animals are worth based on mart weight.

There’s nothing really you can do, it’s just something you have to accept at a day in the mart.

I’ve seen lads pumping cattle full of meal before going to the mart and I smile when I see it. Talk about wasting money! Even if the animal was to retain every ounce the eat, which they won’t, it still wouldn’t pay. Most animals are selling from €2 - €2.50/kg at the minute. Meal is anything from €3 - €3.50/kg, you wouldn’t even get the price of the meal back again.

One trick I’ve seen dealers use at weanling sales in particular is to leave the weanlings with no water since maybe the night before. When they get to the mart then they’ll turn them over to a pen with a drinker and the animal will fill itself with water so they get paid for the water. Obviously I haven’t seen them being weighed before and after drinking so I don’t know if it works but it’s something some of them do.

That is the equivalent of 24litres of water. I would think it is very little. Most lads have no idea of the difference between fresh weight and mart weight. Did you ever watch the amount of liquid that comes out of a slurry tank in a truck. Most of the weight is lost in the truck spin. Especially if it's s distance.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭893bet

3.5 euro per kg of meal…… it would want to be gold laced!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

A lot of the dealers I know would put the cattle in the night before and give them their fill of hay / haylage as its would be dryer and and the cattle would drink more. It probably helps them retain a few kgs but overall it wouldn't be that much. Once you move cattle at all in a trailer they will loose a few kgs (would guess 20 kgs handy enough) plus there can be a difference of circa 20 kgs between the scales in some marts. I know of 1 mart cattle always seem to weigh a bit heavier when they come from it than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Jayus imagine the furore of keeping a suckler cow if meal cost €3.50 a kg.......

a ton 1,000kg costs say circa €300 is 30cent a kg.

Advertisement