Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Availability of new bikes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

The Nuroad Race looks interesting, same price point, slightly higher spec components than the Grail 6.

The only thing is the weight difference. I'm no weight weeny, but my current bike is nominally 12.2kg, which is on the heavy side. With my next bike I'd like to shed some of that

The Grail is 9.5kg, but the Nuroad is almost a kg heavier, at 10.3kg.

Anyone care to weigh in (pun intended) on the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭rolling boh

the cube attain i got a few years ago came with rubbish tyres and real entry level wheels got a couple of thousand km on them but true you have to bear that in mind when you buy them good bike overall though . The spokes became loose on the wheels so had to upgrade a bit ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

There is nothing really wrong with stock wheels but it's the easiest place for a manufacturer to save on costs so they usually fit cheaper wheels. This is generally the case up to the 2000 price point but not always.

Most cheap wheels are just heavier but still solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

It's that they usually put cheap wheels on . Nothing wrong with them just not what you might choose.

Exactly this.

The wheels that came with a Cube attain I bought a few years ago were comically bad. Overly tensioned and the nipples kept coming off and the spokes breaking. The tyres were also impossible to remove and replace and I had constant punctures to deal with. Gave up after a few months and spent 650e on new Mavics so a huge consideration if getting an entry level Cube.

• Advertisement

How are you planning on getting the Grail under the bike to work scheme I thought it had a hard limit of €1250 for a non ebike.

I'm also looking at getting a bike under the bike to work scheme and something I can stick on the trainer when the weather is bad.

The hard limit is on the amount of money you get tax relief on. You can add more money yourself to the cost of the bike, but you just pay that straight up. So it'd be an extra €300 out of my pocket.

Multiple posts in the Bike to Work Scheme thread suggest that Canyon are happy to split the bill, sending the initial invoice for the €1250 to my employer, and the remainder to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yeah indeed, and there's no need to split the bill like that either I don't think. The bike can be ten grand's worth, it's just the initial 1250 that you get the relief on. It won't be Canyon's first Irish BTW scheme transaction, that's fo dang sho! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Ah my Cube Attain carbon came with mavic askiums. For all 105s at €1500 it's about the wheels i'd expect.

thank you I was having a hard time understanding how the scheme worked I didn't realise you could add money yourself although I'm still not sure because I thought in some circumstances you had to send an invoice to your workplace and get them to buy the bike.

Maybe I'll have to start looking into getting a gravel bike.

• Advertisement

If your company won't allow you to do this, it's down to limitations put in place by the company, rather than the scheme itself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, the bike shop will draw up an invoice for your employer, for the €1250 say, and then you would personally pay the balance of €300 on a €1550 bike. the vast majority of bike shops are happy to split the payment like this.

Passed my LBS yesterday and they had the sign back up to say no bike to work sales. Supply an issue for them again from the looks of it. No idea what they were stocking as it's been so long since I was in with them , I thought Trek and Cannondale and various smaller Italian and complete no name brand bicycle shaped objects like "Ignite"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,030 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Seems like a very poor decision by the bike shop? Even if supply is low, why would they discriminate against those customers who need a bike for work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't some of the BTW middlemen take a cut? so if they have to discriminate between customers, why not discriminate in favour of those from whom they'll be getting the full purchase price?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Also with reduced stock, it's starting to become a first come first served basis too. The BTW can be a bit of a drawn out process with getting an invoice, filing it with the company, waiting for vouchers etc.

Whereas a cash buyer means the stock is gone straight away with no messing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

yes they sometimes do. ive heard of shops adding an extra €100 or something to a ctw sale. my company uses https://www.biketowork.ie/ as the middle man for the revenue/government scheme Cycle to Work (confusing!) and we got a €1500 one4all voucher that could only be used in that bike shop, so its essentially giving me 1500 credit to use up. Ive still got some money left in the shop since last year to use but any specific lights or helmet or mudguards i want seem to be sold out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

Hope this is ok on this thread. A related problem with supply of bikes is trying to get bikes serviced. Very long waiting list. The lbs I use can’t fit me in until the end of September! Cork based as with some posters here. I really need to start doing my own servicing, but sometimes following these threads is like trying to read Swahili in Braille. Very technical, which is fair enough, but I’m lost😄. Any recommendations re good course, online or otherwise, for a complete novice? Again, if not ok on this thread, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

Park Tools videos either access through their website or on YouTube.

There are a multitude of other people giving advise also.

Park Tools vids are good because they are succinct. I like Oz Cycles on YouTube for same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

One of my clubmates works in my LBS and was telling me how many of the bike shops are starting to boycot the main BTW middlemen given their 10% gouging. They apparently are planning on only working with one middleman who charges 3%. I don't know any more than that.

Beware of One4All's practice of taking money from you each month after 12 months...

How long is my One4all Gift Card valid for?

One4all Gift Cards can be spent free of charges for 12 months following the purchase date. After this time, a monthly charge of €1.45 will be deducted from funds remaining on the card, until the card balance reaches zero. We are aware that some of our customers were inconvenienced by the reduced range of places where they could spend their One4all Gift Cards due to Covid-19 restrictions. As a result, One4all is providing a full refund of the monthly charges applied during these periods to anyone who advises us that they were unable to use their One4all Gift Card as expected due to Covid-19 restrictions.

https://www.one4all.ie/help#other

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Passed Donnybrook Bike Shop today and they had a stack of new bikes outside https://www.donnybrookbikes.ie/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Humphries got some giant contends in this week. Decent entry level stuff.

Anyway, dived deeper into the matter with lbs and he said that there's stuff slowly being shipped but basically no Shimano seemingly being produced anywhere or if it is very slowly. Sram are doing loads of OEM bikes now,or a lot more than they used to.

There is also containers of stock but they're not being released as they cost to release them has gone up 5 fold and distributors are then having to add approx 100 per bike to (circa 200 bikes per container I'm told) which is 200 extra on retail.

Apparently there's also loads and loads of pre-orders for next year, so shops might find themselves with too much stock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

More Sram builds is great news but it's probably only the higher end axs stuff is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I think there is going to be steady flow of hardly used, quality second hand bikes that people bought with great intentions and I'd say there will be some bargains to be had which might represent better value than BTW. That's what I'm banking on, anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Don't think so, but it's all disc which you wouldn't be a fan. Axs has trickled down to rival now though

Advertisement