Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toastmasters?

Options
  • 02-01-2014 9:20pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever done this before? Tempted to give it a go. I actually quite enjoy public speaking but I'm sure there is loads more to learn. I'm just wondering what the format is like and how it all works from a newcomers perspective?

I hear there is one in Bewleys Leopardstown and the Stillorgan Park hotel - has anyone been?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

A friend of mine goes to the Dun Laoghaire branch. I asked her if she could write about Toastmasters for you. Here you go! PM me if you have any further questions.
    I too, was curious about Toastmasters and was eventually invited to the Dun Laoghaire branch which is in the Royal Marine Hotel. At first I thought it was a bit formal but by the end of the evening I was completely sold on it and have been a member for nearly four years now. It's great fun. We have members of all ages, we have experience members and others who have only just joined the club. To spice things up there are three different competitions held during the year apart from the usual challenges. You could try the club in Bewley's Hotel, Leopardstown (details online). There isn't a club in the Stillorgan Park Hotel. But you'd be more than welcome to come and visit us in Dun Laoghaire anytime (we meet every second Monday: Jan 13th and 27th 2014). If you're interested, I'd be delighted to fill you in on the ins and outs, and yes, there's definitely loads to learn.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Wow thanks! OM on the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ByfocalPhoto

Zascar wrote: »
    Wow thanks! OM on the way...

So how did you get on ?
    I am a member of Greystones Club it's one of the best things I have ever done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Just came across this thread and it interested me. I've been dithering over going to TM. A friend asked me to go with her but then she went with someone else because I was too nervous. She said it is all quite formal with everyone having titles!? As if speaking publicly isn't scary enough, I'd have to remember titles?? Why? When would you need to use titles for a speech?

Hi Jellybaby

Toastmasters has a formal structure in terms of meeting agendas and committee titles. We get to have a lot of fun within that structure and the formality adds a layer of professionalism.

Visitors aren't asked to speak so I would encourage you to visit and get a feel for what happens. Tell me which general area you live in and I will recommend a club for you to try. Please don't disregard the whole concept on hearsay.

Once you have visited, if you still think it's not for you then you have made an informed decision. There are all sorts of people in toastmasters definitely not just hoity toity professionals in case you are worried.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

....Tell me which general area you live in and I will recommend a club for you to try. Please don't disregard the whole concept on hearsay.

Erm......nope! :D

I have the list of clubs and there are a few I can get to, but still dithering. One day maybe.....one day.

Cheers Jellybean,

I said "general area" as I am not after your address :-)

However if you have the full list of clubs there is nothing more I need add. Just make the leap.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Cheers Jellybean,

I said "general area" as I am not after your address :-)

However if you have the full list of clubs there is nothing more I need add. Just make the leap.

Good luck.

Hi Byfocal,

Would you know anywhere around the Kilmainham area?

David900 wrote: »
    Hi Byfocal,

Would you know anywhere around the Kilmainham area?

I will look into it David, I know there is a cluster of clubs in the city centre which would be a LUAS ride away but leave it with me.

David,

Nothing around Kilmainham but the Temple Bar club would be handy
    www dot ie-toastmasters dot ie

I can't post links yet.

Good luck,

Colin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Allow me.....

Temple Bar: http://www.ie-toastmasters.ie/

Dublin (Buswells): http://www.dublintoastmasters.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Sorry for the thread hijack :) Am interested in joining a club also, preferably in the D15 area - I think there is a Castleknock club that meet in Myos which would be convenient for me. I do a bit of public speaking already but looking to improve and I suppose network a bit... any feedback from other people who have tried it?

Castlenock is a top club. I know some of them well. The latest meeting info is online and just a Google away.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Gangu

Hi, I am in Clontarf and would like to join a TM group? Which would people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If you like golf too there's an online club toastmasters4golf. There should be a Facebook page for them.

Most clubs are still online but moving back to physical meetings from November. Different clubs suit different people, so attend a couple as a guest and see which suits you best

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Gangu

No I’m not a golf fan

Advertisement