Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yeah, believe it or not we're a country of laws. There is absolutely no way a council or any other body is going to go outside procedure for this (contentious) event if it were even possible. Why would they?

The picnic was never going to happen once the initial license was rejected. You simply cannot organise an event of this magnitude in a month. In a normal year, construction on the picnic site would've started weeks ago.

You don't need the dail to sit to change the numbers at outdoor events. Those changes are done by SI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Stillill42

No need for the condescending tone, buddy. I don't think the notion of Irish politics at a local or national level deviating from established protocol to facilitate somebody's agenda is a controversial one. And I certainly wasn't suggesting it should for the picnic. It's not an echo chamber in here, by all means disagree with me but no need for the attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm not being condescending to anyone, pal. Aside from corrupt officials, statutory procedures are not deviated from since any deviation will almost certainly end up in court. So yeah, your idea is a controversial one, since it would be highly irregular.

The idea that the picnic was going to happen after the initial license was reflected was nothing other than wishful and the promoters knew this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

In your opinion...

Probably not the best thread to have that attitude, suggest maybe elsewhere with that charming tone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Things getting a little heated here, folk need to chill. I have a back up anyway if its gonna be 2022, my friend Aaron helps run AVA in Belfast which happens to be same dates as our 'supposed' Picnic, so I might go down and do that, have never worked a city event before but should be a change.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Not my pic, but one I used somewhere for one of my blog reviews.

Declare Independence, Don't let them do that to you (Bjork 2007 EP)

Steam Train from John Reynolds EP era 2012.

Squarepusher doing his bass solo finale EP 2012.

Lee 'Scratch' Perry doing a chilled Sunday afternoon. 2012.

And the first time I took a video clip of Salty Dog with The Mighty Stef. 2012

the Cubeatron (Coachella 2008) this also made an appearance at EP 2008, situated near where the cubes from Algorhthym stage sat at the main stage entrance.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Latitude was organised, built and proceeded with four weeks notice. EP can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I see this morning Leo entering the Fray, seemingly he's going to push for a cabinet decision on EP being permitted to proceed. Hard not to be cynical when it comes to Leo's sudden interventions, perhaps he's inside info that Kylie Minogue is secretly lined up to perform.

Without getting into the merits of any decision, this really has all the ingredients of trouble ahead. Is Leo seeking attention, publicity, his he suggesting government circumvent a local authorities decision (wether it be right or wrong), is he clutching at straw's. I get peoples genuine disspointment, surely is it just not wise to accept the decision and make EP 2022 really something to look forward too.

I know some will disagree but local sentiment about the event proceeding is clear, the Indo"s own poll within the attached article speaks for itself and I do believe MCD and now Leo playing media games.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Its a little bit farcical now. Instead of all this effort to give EP the go ahead, id rather gov break their balls getting the industry open so that artists can earn a living straight away and work every week from now on, and not just concentrate on one big weekend

Absolutely agree, EP becoming a political football now, amazing how all these suddenly interested politicians showing concerns about EP and little of no concern (with perhaps the exception of the minister responsible) for the sector as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Absolutely no reason why these two goals are mutually exclusive.

As I've said multiple times, the pre- conditions for attending seem to me to be as good as they can be. Couple that with the percentage of adults vaccinated - it will be a safe event and to your point, a catalyst for other events starting back up.

I'm delighted the government are now being played at their own game. As far as the arts are concerned, they're beginning to learn the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Actually, I think there might be a movie on this.... A feel-good roller-coaster that only comes good at the very end.

It's seems Leo has asked the AG to rescue the event, last time the AG was asked to intervene, it didn't end well for Leo.

I fear this is more Kite flying by Leo.

If the AG does get involved and it's a big if, he will look at this from a purely legal perspective, Planning, Local Authority autonomy etc. Laois County Council have made their position clear, even if Government magically alter existing guidelines. Of course all this a possibility albeit official government policy states the decision is for the local authorities to make.

There are other considerations, the original application can not be reviewed or appealed, a new application would have to materially different, even if a new application considered the local authority have stated there is not enough time to meet dates pencilled in by MCD and at a minimum numbers will be reduced leaving alot of people even more annoyed.

This all aside from local objections (some feel this irrelevant, I'm afraid it is with rural politics)

Who knows but it just seems entirely pointless at this stage and Leo in particular joining the party a little late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Absolutely, I have tickets but have made other arrangements- (weekend away) would be seriously pissed if it was going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

is it really now?

are there direct flights there from anywhere in ireland by any chance......?

And this is another consideration for many who've held on hoping EP would be saved, you'd have to think at this stage most ticket holder's have made alternative arrangements, this latest intervention is just adding farce to confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

FFG trying to save face by making it appear they are doing everything to get EP to go ahead.

When the reality is they have done very little and that Holohan / NPHET hasnt changed his mind because he was never against it in the first place but they used “public health advice” as it being the issue.

It must actually be potentially dangerous to have something this big organized at such short notice. The logistics could be prone to shortcuts and thats not right either.

The young people of this country have once again been let down by the “leaders” of this country and i hope its made abundantly clear the next time people are asked what they think.

This is also a terrible decision for the wider community. If vaccinated people which cant return to normal in the company of other vaccinated people then we need to admit now the massive failings of the vaccination program because people will turn their back to it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Yeah the idea the site couldnt be built in a month is a little silly. It would require more work but defo doable. Its paint by numbers at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭traco

Leo is just playing sounbite politis, a retort to Sinn Feins mouthing a few months back to open up pups and entertainment and thus be the young persons champion. All political BS. FR and MCD are as bad at this stage, just call it and be done with it, focus on next years line up and make it the best ever. I shold have the van loaded and be loading up with ice and cool beers and hitting the road today for the weekend. Forecast is good and it would have been a great weekend. Sunshine and cool nights - fantastic. I was in the garden around 9:30pm last night tidying up and it was cool with a heavy dew falling. Another few weeks will be nowhere near as pleasant.

The industry would be better served by getting gigs back up and running inside with controls and monitoring as for the next 8 months thats where its at. Summer is over, winter is coming and I'd really like to see some proper stuff lining up now that we could look forward to. As mentioned EP is only one weekend but the regular venues are ongoing and sustainable and worth a lot more to the industry as ahole the FR and their golden goose EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

Guaranteed they would be able to throw something together at short notice. There are people chomping at the bit to get back to work immediately. Logistical stuff like pink moon might be hard to organize at this stage seen as they have already refunded people I think?

• Advertisement

oh yeah probably the real issue will be contractors and vendors.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

regular bars and restaurants are having fierce trouble getting staff to man normal opening hours, due to the PUP.

i certainly wouldn't be taking it as a given that theres "people chomping at the bit to get back to work immediately" when it comes to the service industry.

if cash is king, then certainly, but there will be very very few takers that would be delighted to sign off PUP to work EP hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

At the same time, vendors will be mad to make up for lost business though. It hasn't gotten the the Garth Brooks level of farcical just yet, we just need the Mexican ambassador to offer to intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Another headache for the organisers work be who would actually turn up.

Let's say there was originally 70k tickets. Between last year and now, there might have been 10k refunds. So, now there could be 60k 'active' tickets. Some of these will be excluded by not having a vaccine and some will have made alternate plans or not feel comfortable attending.

I'm not sure if there will want to force anyone to make a choice between a refund or simply lose out if they don't attend, so anyone who does not attend will surely be given to option to carry over to next year.

So what do they do? Surely it can't be left to opening the gates and see who turns up. Depending on weather, line up, alternate plans, Covid numbers etc, people could literally decide on the Friday morning whether to go or simply carry the ticket over until next year.

Then there could (in theory) be the situation where they build a festival for 60,000 people that is attended by only a fraction of that.

And then there will be less ticket sales for next year for them to rely on to get back on their feet.

Financially speaking, it could make a bad situation worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

It will start winding down on 7 Sept anyway so people might start to feel it's better to get back into something by then.

Absolute nonsense, perhaps you might check the stats re the actual amount of remaining PUP recepients associated with hospitality sector, even the small amount left never worked in a pub in their lives.

EP and entertainment industry get all the attention, bowling alleys, Nightclubs, children's play centres etc still FULLY closed.

Why bring PUP bashing into this discussion is beyond me, god only knows what your thoughts are on over 350,000 Still in receipt of wage subsidy schemes 🙄 at a cost far higher than PUP ever was FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭The Davestator

If it goes ahead and a person cant go or decides not to go there is no need whatsoever to facilitate them - they simply miss out or sell their ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

And they could also sell additional tickets to people who havent had anything to spend their money on for 18 months are are mad for something to do…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I disagree with you, my friend runs a restaurant, his regular part time staff who previously worked 10-15 hours per week (getting €160 odd) won't come back to him as they're getting €350 PUP. It's too loose, they can repeatedly say there a close contact and isolating etc.

He's really struggling to keep open, working every hour of the day himself.

A family member has a pub, he's in the same boat, he's actually resorted to paying cash simply to get staff to come in, so they're getting paid and PUP.

While I know PUP number's are declining, there are a number of sectors that aren't allowed to open or opening under restrictions that still need to have the PUP in place. You can't remove this yet for a night club for example.

EP build will have the absolute same issue, in fact people in that sector may have moved off into completely different sectors.

• Advertisement

We can agree to disagree and have no wish to go off topic but the facts and stats from the department speak for themselves.

I spent 30 years in hospitality and know exactly what the problem is.

Firstly the €350 you refer to is a myth, as of 7th September 2020 (yes 2020), pup rates fell dramatically, it is reckoned not more than 12% retain the highest rate, given the fact hospitality pay is generally low, its highly likely anyone that was in hospitality has had their PUP rate cuts months ago. There's currently 4 rates. In essence your PUP rate was based on previous earnings.

Secondly, unlike most industries, hospitality was the lowest in uptake of wage subsidy schemes, we're they could have retained staff, instead they dropped staff like bad habits and crying wolf now, a little rich.

Thirdly, not only have a lot of pubs restaurants not even reopened, those that have are deliberately operating on reduced staffing levels and have infact reduced services, limited menus etc.

In essence, the sector only has itself to blame, the shortage of staffing is more about the staff flecking off entirely or changing careers and who would blame them.

So a little objectivity can go a long way.

I'm not blaming hospitality sector for this mess, just pointing out they could have handled it better by at the very least making an effort to retain staff.

No quality establishment I know is struggling to get staff, one wonders why 🤔

Advertisement