Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

The rate of myocarditis is 6 times higher with Covid than the vaccine.

So f*ck off with using individual tragedies to provoke fear based in misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

So no "studies" then, as I thought.

I answered why I will vaccinate, because the risk from the virus is greater than that from the vaccine.

As far as liability is concerned, the State has indemnified the vaccine makers and will probably offer a compensation scheme, as they have done previously.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/government-to-establish-vaccination-injury-compensation-scheme-1.4645797

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

So they're exchanging social distancing for face masks? I see the logic as long as everybody wears a mask properly

Could also pave the way for other industries that rely on having no social distancing to return fully

Don't be so sure

She said she could not understand why PCR and antigen testing were not being adopted, as they offered proper and effective tools. Yet they were being kicked down the road.

In fairness I can understand why they don't want testing, although I don't agree with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Read the last bit of the article:

Data from the US shows the risk of myocarditis (heart-related inflammation) after receiving an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) is 1 in 16,000 for boys aged 12 to 17 years.

Most cases resolve with rest and some treatment, a HSE briefing heard on Thursday. The risk of severe Covid-19 illness for children is low, with a hospitalisation rate in Ireland for those with no underlying conditions of less than 1 in 100,000, the HSE said.

• Advertisement

Not a study.

Here's an article linking to a study (not peer reviewed, mind) supporting my opinion that the risk is higher from the virus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/29/covid-poses-higher-risk-of-myocarditis-than-vaccine-in-male-teens-us-study

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I know someone in from Canada and their proof of vaccine was fine, they’ve gone indoor dining etc

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

What is this fixation you have of Professor Nolan not believing vaccine will totally eradicate the virus ? He is hardly unique in that regard as again it was never said by anyone it would.

And where has anyone, let alone Professor Nolan, actually stated that mask-wearing in Ireland will last forever and a day ? He aid that as far as he was concerned mask-wearing on public transport was no more than good manners. Is it not being overly picky after all we have been through with this virus to be now winging about mask9wearing on public transport. I don`t know what you get up to on public transport where wearing one will greatly diminish your enjoyment, but for myself wearing one has neither added too or diminished the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

We have 10,000 odd Tryone fans coming down this weekend (fair play to them, hope they enjoy the day)

Why are arts events not allowed happen but they are allowed go to Croke Park?

If an outbreak of covid happened, they won't have a clue who they are (not that they knew last weekend either)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Because when the virus is endemic, the risk from the vaccine is an order of magnitude lower than the virus, so by vaccinating, you're choosing the least risky path.

All restrictions being dropped is not based on eliminating the virus, but living alongside it, people still don't get that it's a choice of vaccine or virus, a few school outbreaks may hammer this home to people.

You wrote, specifically to me:

have you any studies to back up your “view”

I provided one. What is your response?

I can no doubt add it to your greatest hits of antivax bullsh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

From a U.K. study involving 1.2 million, Pfizer`s vaccine efficacy is still 74% after 6 months and Astra Zeneca`s 67% after 5. That is a hell of a lot lot higher than your level of protection unvaccinated, and considering this is for a mutant variant they were not manufactured to combat, are still pretty impressive imo.

Your 12 months being like never having the shots is at best just idle speculation. Nobody has yet been vaccinated for 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You want arts events to happen but are worried about an outbreak of Covid at Croke Park?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

So provoking fear in the population for a virus that has 99.9% survival rate is ok, but instead mentioning that vaccinating your child could be fatal is CT and misinformation. No problem guys go and get your children vaccinated anyway they are "discussing" to recommend an ex-gratia scheme from the government, while the pharma companies still won't take any responsibilities

A wise man thinks before spewing sh*te.

All your “points” have been addressed 100 times already

I am sure you have evidence that the efficacy drops sharply after 6 months and that after 12 months it’s like you never had shots? I am sure it can’t just be some more unsourced sh*te?

Less fatal than the virus, which they will get at some point. All the vaccine does is give a far lower risk route to the building of antibodies that, in spite of some peoples baseless believe, will remain to the extent that a reduction in severity at a minimum will be sustained for the bulk of the population.

Anyone, at any stage, could develop a condition that leaves them more vulnerable, not to mention that the extremely low incidence of adverse effects with the vaccine also occur with the virus, but at far higher incidence rates with the virus. A safe vaccine now massively reduces risk. It really is a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

They are moving from the 3G model (Getestet, Geimpften, Genesenen) to the 2G model (Geimpften, Genesenen) here in Hamburg from this weekend. Business's have the option to stay at 3G or move to 2G. If they move 2G they can fully open with no spacing or numbers restrictions, but masks will still be required. Employees will also have to be vaccinated for 2G. Will be interesting to see how many business's move to 2G and what the reaction is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,527 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

2 young people reacting to a vaccine is enough "evidence" to mean someone shouldn't get vaccinated.

Numerous unvaccinated young people dying from the virus gets hand-waved away as an unusual tragedy.

Thread is as gas as ever.

• Advertisement

I never said anything about Nolan saying the vaccine would eradicate the virus. I'm saying that by his saying that mask wearing and social distancing will have to maintained (Ongoing rise in cases could impact hospital procedures (rte.ie) "He also said that "we have to prepare a plan to remove remaining formal restrictions over time", while retaining the key measures of mask wearing and social distancing.") that suggests that the vaccines aren't enough in his eyes. Why else would he say that social distancing and mask wearing need to be maintained?

The question is really very simple: if vaccination of almost the entire population (it will probably be around 95% of the population) isn't enough for social distancing and mask wearing to not be 'maintained', then how do they ever go? Unless of course he means voluntary social distancing (is there such a thing?) and choosing to wear masks on public transport etc.

And I would argue that it's all we have been through with the reaction to the virus. The loss of freedoms and the potential for lockdowns to be used for other things in the future is what I'm worried about. But that's a separate discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Just on the pregnant teacher issue, I know two teachers who were back at work last year for months, pregnant with no vaccine available. The way this is being played out by the media is shameful&done to encourage more teacher bashing, it’s a very small number of teachers actually affected by this issue. Why can’t the Union & Department sit down + work out a simple procedure.

Perhaps the Government are leaking it to media as they’re desperately looking for a villain to divert attention for their failure to Govern for the pandemic & letting Dr Holohan become the Master + Commander of Ireland. After all the boss did speak during the week at the press conference saying Electric Picnic festival could go ahead, I’m sure he failed previously to communicate this clearly to Government but that doesn’t matter. He’s the boss & the media are wondering why our middle men ( Elected TD’s & Government ) aren’t snapping to & hastily throwing together the festival as the Boss has now allowed. (And I don’t mean Bruce Springsteen)

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

Numerous unvaccinated young people dying - you say?

Numerous

adjective

great in number; many.

you mean , zero under 25 dying with from covid ever.

you want to claim 44 is still young...no probs

when we include 25-44 age group it is 44 people dying with covid out of over 3 million people in Ireland under 44.

numbers as as 30th april (latest available) - but few deaths since then.

they are deaths "with covid" not necessarily cos of covid and we have no idea of the health of such people prior to death.

The vaccine isn't needed for younger people. They should take it if they feel they need it but shouldn't if they don't

your claims are wild.

Can your pass be read by the Irish app? I'm hearing a lot of non-EU QR codes can be read by our systems and vice-versa. You can check here (open on your phone) https://app.digitalcovidcertchecker.gov.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,527 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Zero under 25 dying from Covid ever"

Threads wilder than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Will the GAA up the numbers for ladies final Dublin/Meath, 24,000 were allowed attend the Dublin/Mayo semis so shirley 40000 could attend the finals,,,

The ladies football is run by the LGFA, they are different to the GAA so it depends on what they applied for under the pilot event scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Down the line there could be a need for vaccines that give ‘sterilising immunity’ (so there would be no transmission from vaccinated people). Think Smallpox vaccine as an example. The uneven distribution of vaccines worldwide could potentially backfire on those countries that have vaccines rolled out.

Other thing to remember is that humans haven’t been wiped out by a virus yet. No epidemic or pandemic has ever lasted forever. They burn out by either mutating or running out of hosts. This looks like it will be endemic so we could all end up getting it a few times in our lives. It’s not all doom and gloom. Humans are resilient and eventually we will all just get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Why would you relax restrictions - add more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Apologies if already covered.

Now that the FDA has moved from 'emergency use' authorisation of Pfizer to full authorisation of it, this provides cover for employers to mandate vaccine coverage for employees. I see for the example the US Department of Defence (1.4 million employees) is doing this.

My question is (without debating whether it is a good idea or not), could an Irish employer now do the same? i.e. make provision of a vaccine cert by the employee a term of employment. Anyone know what the legal position is if an employer did take this stance?

Advertisement