Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Oops - I meant not quite yielding the results that were hoped....Yes cases would be way more if not vaccinated...

• Registered Users Posts: 86,189 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There have been 2,051 new cases of Covid-19 confirmed by the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) this evening.

There have been more than 40,000 cases confirmed this month to date, latest HSE figures show.

As of 8am today, there are 323 Covid-19 patients hospitalised, of which 56 are in ICU. The number of people hospitalised with the virus has risen by 16 since yesterday and is now at the highest level since March 29, when there were 331 patients. The number of patients in ICU has been steadily increasing and has doubled in the last 20 days from 28 on August 5 to 56 today.

There have been 18 deaths associated with Covid-19 reported in the past week, as the total number of deaths has increased from 5,074 last Wednesday to 5,092 today. This is the most deaths recorded in a seven-day period since June 17.

So the NPHET letter doesn’t want a wider easing of restrictions on our freedoms until 6 weeks in October when 85-90% of 16+ year olds are vaxxed. (This seems like a moving of the goalposts).

Ive a feeling of dread that the issue will then move to “the vulnerable need a booster” in October. Unfortunately you just can’t trust them any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What are people prevented from doing at the moment, as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Yes I am amazed people can't see this is a neverending circle, even if they reached 100% vaccination then it would be 70+ need a booster, then it would be 50-70 need a booster etc .... we can't at one stage have 100% of the population protected, therefore I see a neverending cycle of restrictions - unless we can learn to live with it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Christ not this again.

Any semblance of nightlife - not allowed

Live events - not allowed

Offices - closed

Public transport - restricted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Another thing that is coming is lockdown due to flu /virus in general, the lockdown has meant less illness so less natural immunity, the usual virus will do a lot more harm than two years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@AdamD wrote

Public transport - restricted

It's at 75% capacity now and returning to 100% next week. So you can avail of those frotting opportunities you've sorely missed the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Its evident some peoples social and work lives have never been effected and that's great

However some people worked at and enjoyed many many things that's no longer legal to partake in

Some people like to dance at a wedding or even dance at all, cant be done

Some people like to meet strangers in a pub (cant be done following the rules)

Can't do anything (indoors, and they're recommended outdoors in crowded areas too) without covering your face, can't have a cup of tea in a café without showing your papers (and can't do it all if unvaccinated), can't walk whichever way you want in a supermarket (have to follow the arrows), no concerts, no theatre performances, can't travel in comfort (mask, forms, tests etc), can't use fitting rooms to try on clothes, can't spontaneously pop into a pub, café or restaurant if unvaccinated, forced to stand outside at times because of restrictions on numbers in shops, can't turn on the telly without being bombarded with non-stop talk about cases and staying safe, can't go to a football match in peace.

• Advertisement

You've been slaughtered for this comment and rightly so.

As well as all the things mentioned above, talk to any woman who was left alone at an appointment while getting told her baby had no heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Well these are just things that are currently affecting me and partner.

Can only have 8 people at my wedding ceremony including me and partner due to covid restrictions. Can't have normal wedding party as no music, dancing or mixing of people allowed.

Can't get a driver test as only for 'essential' workers. Such a back log created now it's nearly impossible to even get the lessons needed before the test.

Can't go to a pub restaurant with a few friends as some who are young and healthy have decided not to get vaccinated. (I think they should be that's their decision and don't think they should be locked out from doing things in the only discriminatory vaccine pass system in Europe)

Can't go to my local GAA match at the weekend as only 500 allowed and it's sold out.

Can't go to the local pub after the match like I'd usual do and roam around chatting everyone. Firstly I probably won't get in due to reduced capacity and secondly not allowed sit at bar or roam around like we used to be allowed do.

Can't go to my local tennis table club that I used to go to sporadically as its closed.

My partner can't play volleyball with her club as its cancelled for now.

Having been in the office for 18 months, recently joined a new team and haven't seen them in person.

Can't go to the Ireland soccer match next week as won't be able get a ticket due to reduced capacity.

Can't go to Park runs that I used to most Saturday mornings.

Thats not mentioning nightclubs, concerts etc that doesn't really effect me but effects loads of people and businesses working at significantly reduced capacity who are struggling to make a living. I'm sure I'm forgetting a load of other things, that's just off the top of my head.

Post edited by Klonker on

It was a question - I've given up trying to keep track of all the changes - I had googled and found this https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/public_health_measures_for_covid19.html#l19f6b , which didn't really appear to align with how restricted people seem to feel, so I was wondering what else there was.

Cheers for detailed response Klonker. How come you can only have 8 at your wedding if 100 are allowed according to aforementioned link? (No need to answer if it's too personal a reason).

I can't get my driving licence sorted either. Hopefully the backlog will have cleared somewhat in the near future... have lessons to get in.

The local tennis club here (Salthill, Galway) appears to still be open - was yours a fully indoor club or are the guys here flouting some restrictions?

Well the live events sector are basically prevented from working, from earning a living. Sure that’s nothing. If people cannot go to their place of work or earn a living, they are being restricted. It’s a black and white issue.

Partners are being restricted from seeing their spouse and child in hospital

(Actually, people have answered above me in more detail. A retort like that is just looking for attention, if you’re enjoying your heavily restricted life, that’s fine, but don’t be sad enough to deny others stuff that you don’t like or partake in. Not a nice trait to have denying others their lives).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,677 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not all of what you are saying is accurate though. Other countries have the same thing in place with having to show vaccination to access indoor dining and pubs. France and Italy definitely. Not in anyway unique to Ireland in EU.

No apology needed - I am consistently less anti-restrictions than some other posters, so can understand why you would have read it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Other countries with "vaccine passes" also allow for proof of a negative test, as a condition to entry.

Ireland is unique to allow only vaccinated or recovered - might explain why we have such a high case numbers

Ah ok I thought Ireland was bringing that in as well. No worries.

Well I suppose the easiest thing might be to just get a jab.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Someone will be along to tell you that you and your new wife can dance in your room together, so dancing is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Only if you're prepared to get you 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th+ booster jabs

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Which bit is inaccurate in that post? OP listed a number of examples of how restrictions are impacting his life. There was no comparison made to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You can have 100 people at a wedding not 8 for a start ,.

Maybe if the event industry was as embedded in every parish as much as the gaa is they might have got something earlier instead of now their constant bitching about a half full croker last Sunday.event industry get up of your collective arses and shout louder.

The number at weddings?

Get the jab and access to pubs restaurants sorted.

If they really want tickets with restricted numbers...it's kind of on them to get them as well.

Nothing has been confirmed for anything like that though has it?

Maybe the very vulnerable might need them.

I get a flu shot once a year....it's not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

There are a load of offices open. Sure, some still aren't but to say 'offices are closed' isn't really true!

Yeah but you don't need to show proof of that flu shot if you want to go for a meal.

I wonder when fully vaccinated people will be refused entry to a restaurant as their cert will be one day out of date...

• Advertisement

AFAIK Denmark are planning to get rid of checking for vaccine certs completely in the autumn, what are Ireland's plans ?

Are they still going to be checking for covid vaccine certs in 10 years time ?

Advertisement