Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Faral, ya mad thing! you just opened up a can of worms on here :)

BTW, your name just auto-corrected to fatal for me… just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

There is at least another 20/25% in that cohort that are currently waiting for their second doses. They've been able to get it only since a couple of weeks in the best case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,763 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Delta virus seems to be a lot more prevalent here compared to many European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

Apparently the current high number are due to proximity to NI and wider UK where rates are higher than here and there is a significant amount of travel between us and them; a population in Ireland that has a higher percentage of young people than in other countries and younger people have not yet reached the point where they are fully vaccinated (2 doses + 7 or 14 days); the fact that a high proportion of workers in Ireland were not born here and there is a lot of international travel because of that. Also, Ireland is a small country so a large outbreak in Border regions or in Dublin will spread quickly round the country in a way that would not happen elsewhere- a large outbreak in Paris would not necessarily spread to Bordeaux.

That's what I can remember from what was said today at NPHET briefing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Ok I'll bite due to curiosity. What do you find "suspicious" about the vaccine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

you're assuming only 10% will get covid if unvaccinated, and using that as justification?

I see a rather large hole in your theory

This covid makes no sense.

Has pfzier vaccines waned too much in Israel?

• Advertisement

Also Palestine's surge only really took off about two weeks ago.

Give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I got the one shot J&J so I'd take a second shot all day long if I could.....don't think I'll ever have that option though as it'll be Pfizer or Moderna only going forward.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/25/health/johnson-vaccine-booster-data/index.html

Can anyone explain to me how Albert Bourla is saying that a vaccine resistant strain is likely to emerge (Pfizer CEO says vaccine-resistant strain of COVID is 'likely' to emerge | Daily Mail Online) while at the same time Jasnah Kholin, an RNA virologist, appears to be suggesting that that's impossible (Jasnah Kholin - 8964 - ACAB - 💉💉 on Twitter: "anyone trying to throw the words "vaccine escape" around has to explain to me how a non-integrating virus incapable of nuclear latency is supposed to escape a polyclonal *ADAPTIVE* immune response or shut the **** up." / Twitter)

Yes, Dr Bourla is the CEO of a vaccine company, but is Jasnah Kholin right in what he says, or is Albert Bourla right?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's all opinion. For the CEO of a pharmaceutical company, talking up the skill of his company and their products is part and parcel of his job. "We don't think one will emerge so we're not paying any attention to it", doesn't sound as good as, "We think one will emerge and we'll be able to annihilate it quickly".

The actual research experts have no real skin in the game, and by a far larger proportion seem to believe that a completely resistant variant is an impossibility.

It's most likely that Bourla is referring to their ability to respond to a variant that is slightly more resistant than Delta, not one that is fully resistant. Kholin is talking about the claim a variant could bring us back to square one by being able to completely evade the immune system. The former is a possibility. The latter is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Studies showing natural immunity to have a lower initial antibody level, but much less of a decline in antibody titers relative to vaccine-induced antibodies over the same timeframe. Those who suffer severe infection have higher antibody levels initially, including older (>60), hypertension, obesity, renal failure, etc. The severity of infection has a direct relation to the antibody response induced (makes sense).

Remarkably, after BNT162b2 mRNA vaccination, we observed higher SARS-CoV-2 antibody titers in the convalescent individuals aged ≥ 60 years, while in the vaccinated population higher SARS-CoV-2 antibody titers were seen in younger patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some news from J&J on a second shot "booster". One shot reckoned to be good for 8 months. 230,603 doses have been delivered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yep. As a recipient of the one shot J&J, I'd be all over getting a booster if I could to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think this is expected and part of the high efficacy values in the first few months, the antibody count produced by the mRNA vaccines is very high, and even after waning, is still relatively high, but the waning is expected and a natural part of the immune system. If we could vaccinate everyone in the same 2-3 months, we'd see the virus die out quickly, as it is, those vulnerable may need yearly boosters for the next few years, healthcare workers as well (particuarly those who work in nursing homes). For the average person, the initial vaccination may be all that's ever needed.

It's not a time to work in healthcare and not take your vaccines.

If the decay in vaccine-induced antibodies continues past the end point of the study, then it will mean boosters may be required for those vaccinated - but natural immunity may last much, much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ISTR from studies done on reinfection rates that infection-induced immunity wanes after around six months. This is complicated by the involvement of variants, as I've also read informed speculation that vaccine-induced immunity is broader/less specific, so that recovered people are more at risk from new variants.

I can dig out the sources if you're interested in reading them, but since you haven't provided any for you claim that "natural immunity may last much, much longer" I'm not bothered at this point.

From a purely anecodotal perspective I know one person who got covid, recovered, got vaccinated (with AZ), then got covid again. Make of that what you will.

The study showing antibody titers for convalescent vs vaccinated patients was posted above. The idea that natural immunity persists longer is simply based on extrapolating those trendlines for antibody decay.

There are new studies coming out that show risk of reinfection is higher for naive vaccinated individuals compared with convalescent only also:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.24.21262415v1

Results: SARS-CoV-2-naive vaccinees had a 13.06-fold (95% CI, 8.08 to 21.11) increased risk for breakthrough infection with the Delta variant compared to those previously infected, when the first event (infection or vaccination) occurred during January and February of 2021. The increased risk was significant (P<0.001) for symptomatic disease as well. When allowing the infection to occur at any time before vaccination (from March 2020 to February 2021), evidence of waning natural immunity was demonstrated, though SARS-CoV-2 naive vaccinees had a 5.96-fold (95% CI, 4.85 to 7.33) increased risk for breakthrough infection and a 7.13-fold (95% CI, 5.51 to 9.21) increased risk for symptomatic disease. SARS-CoV-2-naive vaccinees were also at a greater risk for COVID-19-related-hospitalizations compared to those that were previously infected. Conclusions: This study demonstrated that natural immunity confers longer lasting and stronger protection against infection, symptomatic disease and hospitalization caused by the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2, compared to the BNT162b2 two-dose vaccine-induced immunity. Individuals who were both previously infected with SARS-CoV-2 and given a single dose of the vaccine gained additional protection against the Delta variant.

With Myocarditis being all the rage now as to not take the vaccine... It'll be interesting to see if there will be an increase of cases in recreational cocaine users when they get Covid and/or vaccine...

Looking at the numbers with my morning fag packet morning maths skills, you have more chance of getting myocarditis from a coke binge than having a vaccine/covid combo....

@timmyntc that's very interesting (and new!). I wonder whether there's some survivor bias in there, because the recovered cohort excludes those who will die from their first infection.

Regardless, it obviously makes no sense to acquire protection from infection by getting infected (by avoiding vaccination or seeking infection), but if herd immunity doesn't happen then eventually everyone will end up infected unless they die from something else beforehand, or lead an incredibly careful existence.

So from an individual perspective, whether you've been previously infected or not, the question is whether you're better protected by being vaccinated or not at your next exposure. The answer is fairly obviously that you're better protected with a vaccine.

It does strengthen the case for adding recovered people to the discriminatory indoor access regulations though. This is AFAIK planned anyway and I've no idea why it hasn't been introduced already.

Yes, very new - will wait and see what comes out of peer review but yes the survivor bias is 1 such factor that needs accounted for.

If at risk at any way - of course vaccination is a safer way to build antibodies - but there may be merit in letting young healthy people decide for themselves to catch it - if they do and recover they should be on par with vaccinated people from a restrictions point of view.

If natural immunity has a lower % of reinfection, then the path to "herd immunity" if thats still a goal, could be to expose those who arent at significant risk, to the virus. Unethical maybe, but if you give the choice and let them make informed consent - a possible path out of the pandemic.

@timmyntc wrote

If natural immunity has a lower % of reinfection, then the path to "herd immunity" if thats still a goal, could be to expose those who arent at significant risk, to the virus. Unethical maybe, but if you give the choice and let them make informed consent - a possible path out of the pandemic.

I'm not sure that makes sense. I think you (or others) have posted that the post-infection immunity appears to be proportionate to severity of disease. If that's true, a lower disease burden from either post-vaccine infection or reinfection could be the same or less efficacious (and less safe) than a booster. I don't know. We'd need a study that evaluates that.

(I understand the argument that boosters are unethical in a vaccine-short world, but that's a mostly separate issue from efficacy in a world where there is no herd immunity anywhere.)

Yes, the first study re: antibody levels made that point that younger healthier people had lower antibody levels- possibly from a stronger Th1 immune response used to fight off infection instead. But antibody levels alone cant really predict protection - they are a marker for sure, but the human immune system has multiple response mechanisms.

The only real way to know is to observe the rates of infection & severity of same in vaccinated vs recovered patients. Same thing with boosters too. Will take a while before that can be observed, 6 months+ before we see any studies of 3rd shot vs natural immunity.

It's important to note that the antibody levels after the vaccine are still at a higher level than those who were infected and survived (i.e. most people), the fact that the vaccines start off with such a high antibody count makes the fact that the antibodies wane faster kind of expected (and would only be an issue if that velocity continued, which even within 6 months it doesn't and starts levelling off to a steadier decline).

The question then is what the eventual antibody count is after a longer period of time and if the T-Cell memory to be able to produce antibodies is sufficient at this stage even if antibody counts reduce to zero (which hasn't been seen yet).

I also wonder now how many diseases older people and immuno-compromised people are dying of (besides COVID) that they assumed they were immune to, but age reduced their lifelong immunity making them vulnerable.

There's a good read here from various experts, ranging from "this is expected and protection against severe disease is what matters" to "We need new vaccines for each mutant, it will be like the flu".

expert reaction to press release from the ZOE app on vaccine effectiveness over time | Science Media Centre

edit:

There is also no study or expectation that "naturally derived antibodies from the virus" are lasting longer than vaccine antibodies, luckily we have numerous studies last year, pre-vaccine to compare to, that show the 6 month drop off in antibodies for those who recovered from SARS-COV2.

T-cells do not produce antibodies - B-cells do.

Also the adaptive immune system has 2 main responses - Th1 and Th2. Th2 is the antibody mediated response, which is induced by vaccination. When we measure antibody titers we are examining Th2 response. But antibody levels are not the only measure of immunity.

The reason people with more severe infection produce more antibodies - is 1) due to length of infection, and 2) because the Th1 response is initially not strong enough in said individual. Th1 (inflammatory response mechanism) is stronger in younger groups, is believed to lead to mild/no symptoms from the disease due to a fast strong immune response. So in these individuals with an initially strong Th1 response to the virus, you would expect to not see as large a Th2 (antibody) level as someone suffering from a prolonged infection.

What does all this mean? Well, it means that you cannot judge immunity based on serum antibody levels alone. The only way to judge effectively is studies to examine infection and severe disease rates in vaccinated vs infected-recovered patients (such as that prelim study I linked earlier). That preliminary data suggests natural immunity is stronger versus reinfection than vaccine induced immunity - how it fares in the long run will depend on further study.

• Advertisement

You are correct on the B-Cells creating the antibodies. Your conclusion essentially marks the antibody count reports as useless and waiting on real world data, however, the reason the antibody counts are being studied so much is that it is a good indicator of what the real world results will be. It will be interesting to see what the final outcome of the study will be and what the vaccine then infection long term protection looks like.

Advertisement