Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

shhhhh... that doesn't suit the narrative that anyone who wants zero tolerance to illegal immigration is a dirty far-right racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Health Service - Nothing to do with "multiculturalism". These people are hired on contracts to work here. We have visa's for the extent of their stay. This, as stated multiple times on the thread is fine. We also have quite a sizeable amount of Irish HCA's, Nurses, Doctors and Consultants.

Multi-nationals and tax revenues - We have the entire EU for that. And generally, multinationals want college educated graduates with EU languages.

Apple, https://jobs.apple.com/en-ie/search?location=ireland-IRL&page=1, all non-English speaking jobs are looking for European or Nordic languages.

Amazon, https://www.amazon.jobs/en/search?offset=0&result_limit=10&sort=relevant&distanceType=Mi&radius=24km&latitude=53.34807&longitude=-6.24827&loc_group_id=&loc_query=Ireland&base_query=&city=&country=IRL&region=&county=&query_options=& , all non-English speaking jobs are looking for European with 4 vacancies for Turkish speakers.

Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/careers/jobs/?offices[0]=Dublin%2C%20Ireland&is_leadership=0&page=1&is_in_page=0 , 15 out of 174 non EU language vacancies.

Google, https://careers.google.com/jobs/results/?company=Google&company=Google%20Fiber&company=YouTube&employment_type=FULL_TIME&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrcGlucXO8gIV0N_tCh3b_wwzEAAYASAAEgJ1OfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&hl=en_US&jlo=en_US&location=Dublin,%20Ireland&q=&sort_by=relevance&src=Online%2FHouse%20Ads%2FBKWS_Cloud_EMEA , seeking EU and Nordic languages.

Food - Laughable. Did we starve in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s when we had very little immigration?? Strangely no, food still made it to our table. Obesity levels were also a lot lower.

Some immigrants add value, they are the ones who are skilled, educated and over here on working visa's. Others are here for the free houses, free medical care, free dental care, free money, free education, free, free, free. The land of milk and honey.

Again!

foreign born does not mean that they're not irish. No matter how often you try to say it does.

there are plenty of Irish people that were born in a different country.

So you embrace multiculturalism then?

How many legal migrants live here with no skills, no English or no desire to integrate, do we know?

• Advertisement

If they can't afford to provide for their family then they should be deported. Why would you move somewhere you cannot afford? Shows that the staff member is wreckless, unable to forward plan and not the smartest at making decisions. If I move to Foxrock and pay my months rent and deposit and then can't afford any more, should the state prop me up for making an ill-informed move??

Edit: That goes for EU citizens too. It is actually legal to repatriate an EU citizen from your country if they cannot support themselves. Won't see that happening in soft touch Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah yes the old reliable - the food, the different clothes and now it seems the music.

FFS what a crock of shyte.

And here we have another one of the old gotos thrown in - the mention of immigrants.

Lets make sure we say immigrants so that we can lump in the Poles, Americans, Brazilians, British, etc who usually integrate very well and have come here due to free travel areas or on valid visas with those with no visas, little education, questionable backgrounds and most often an unwillingness to integrate.

Why not add in the numbers linked to ISIS, al-qaeda, Boko Haram, Ansar al-Sharia, Hamas, Al-Shabaab ?

Ah but sure they are only less than maybe half a million fighters.

But then add in all the supporters because after all these guys don't operate in a vacuum.

Remember how much support terrorists got in Molenbeek.

Here is interesting fact for you.

Belgian police have found 51 organisations with links to terrorism links in Moleenbeek.

And the 102 organisations with links to crime.

Why don't you remind the Belgians of the pluses of multiculturalism.

Even if you discount the hardcore islamists as a few million, most of the islamic world has values and outlooks incompatible to modern western secular societies.

Anytime anyone asks about secular democracies in the muslim world the usual refrain is what about Turkey, Malaysia and Indonesia with their massive muslim the massive populations.

But of course those chirping in with those countries don't bother mentioning about the rise of fundamentalism and conservative islam in those countries never mind the fact that in some areas of those countries outside of the large urban westernised centres there has always been more conservative islam in operation.

In northeast Malay Peninsula you have the conservative Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS) whilst over in Indonesia hard-line groups like the Islamic Defenders Front have been active for twenty years, often carrying out vigilante violence in many parts of the country against people and groups they accused of doing immoral activities.

Yes in these countries hardline groups haven't attained national power but they do wield power and influence in certain parts of these countries.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Come on now the thread is about Ireland and multiculturalism and even if it wasn't no one has yet presented a single data point to suggest that the vast majority of immigrants do not integrate into their host society. So all your pleas to look at specific examples do not take away from what I said that the vast majority of immigrants to Germany France and Belgium do integrate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

Can you then explain why you think I should not talk about all immigrants to Ireland when discussing Multiculturalism in this country?

Are you suggesting that only Muslims contribute to multiculturalism in Ireland and all other immigrants are not part of Irish Multicultural society. What are they then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

I also recall before the referendum in 2004 there was plenty of Africans coming here in the final stages of pregnancy so the nipper could get an Irish passport and the folks could stay on here. Anchor babies I believe the term was. Anyway paddy got sick of getting scammed and put an end to it in the referendum!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Overall the ‘new’ Irish add value to the country and far more value than many ‘old’ Irish who have a sense of entitlement to public services.

Outside of East Asians of the non EU migrant groups their rate of unemployment and social services expenses are significantly higher than the native Irish. As Enricoh pointed out with [trigger warning] facts, just over one third of our entire rent allowance payments alone go to non EU nationals. In some quarters we've essentially imported more of an underclass to add to the existing one, with the added "race" element. Joy of joys. That always goes well... So your contention is a nonsense. Fandymo has blown holes in your multinational languages argument and with [trigger warning] actual real world examples. The migrant workers in the food industry are in the vast majority of cases from the EU and many are seasonal. And as Fandymo also pointed out long before we got a sniff of this "multiculturalism" Ireland's tables were not lacking on food. Indeed we were the most food safe nation in Europe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

which has what to do with Irish citizens being born overseas exactly?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I seem to recall it was actually a Chinese woman's case that kicked that off, but your point remains. If we hadn't had that birthright loophole, one that no other country in Europe had, our current multicultural Ireland would look quite different. That it was put to a referendum was a little surprising, but I'd bet the farm the Irish electorate won't be given a similar choice again. It was one of the most clear cut outcomes of any Irish referendum and that was during the "ah sure it's grand" Celtic tiger.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Someone on boards once said; "Aye. Never ascribe conspiracy to something when incompetence is by far the more likely."

The legislation that created that loophole was an oversight by the cabinet of the day in agreeing the wording of the constitutional amendment. And was overlooked by the population when voting despite being highlighted as a risk in the referendum pamphlet published prior to the vote.

"The new Article 2 will give a constitutional right of citizenship to anyone born in Ireland. This will make it very difficult to change the laws on citizenship and it may prevent the enactment of necessary laws to regulate immigration."

Who mentioned conspiracy? You did, nobody else. And again point --- country mile --- you. You have quite an amazing capacity to read into posts what you want to read and then think it passes muster as reasoned debate. The point was when it was put to them on the back of pregnancy passport seekers taking the piss the Irish electorate overwhelmingly voted to remove the Jus soli loophole in our constitution as a consequence of the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yet more personalised insults. You have no idea what I'm thinking so address my post not what you think is in my head. Disgraceful you are let away this time after time.

So you agree that original amendment was a cabinet and electoral mistake not some drive towards multicultural politic right?

I embrace multiculturalism IN SMALL NUMBERS. I think having 20% of the population born abroad is enough multiculturalism to get a flavour of the cultures of the world. Once you get to 30/40/50% then I believe you erode the cohesion of a society and end up with an amorphous blob of a society. This is not science, just my own opinion.

People who have no limit to multiculturalism, I don't understand their view - what if the whole world mixes with each other and we end up with no distinct cultures. Is that a good thing? Is that "progressive"?

20% born abroad, do you presume they are not Irish?

the world will mix together, but people need to feel part of something, so pretty sure that people will always have different cultures.

So why is the magic number of 20% is ok? You believe 30% and above is a problem, because you just think that!

I don't see any issue with 30/40/50 % of the population being different nationalities. I don't care what nationality people are. I only care that people contribute something and don't just take.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

In any case I don’t think the world would end up a homogeneous blob, but rather I take a different view to your argument that we would end up with no distinct cultures.

Irish culture and traditions and values, just to take one example, has endured in spite of centuries of immigration, emigration, and so on. The thing is, if you or I were asked to define what is meant by Irish culture, we’d likely come up with two different collections of ideas. Different blends if you will…*

That’s really the objective so to speak of my supporting multicultural societies. Not because it condemns immigrants to live in shìt, plenty of Irish people living in shìt already, but because different perspectives can often inspire unique perspectives, only of course if they aren’t holed up in DP centres and what have you, but rather given a real opportunity to contribute to society, instead of being written off as only coming into the country to take advantage of our ever so generous welfare system.

*That train of thought while it has always been something I’ve argued, it may be being influenced today by a whiskey I was made aware of it’s existence this morning (still arguing with myself as to whether I should order a bottle 😂) -

The gas thing is that we already have exposure to multiculturalism from the numbers of foreign students who come here to study, or the people who come here to work under limited visas, staying for a few years, and then moving on to another country.

But that's not enough. Nope. There is a need for us to decrease the overall percentage of the population that is white. That's the goal here. There's little consideration given to the largest portion of migrants, being Eastern Europeans, but there should be more from non-white nations. As has been mentioned before, there's little desire for multiculturalism to be established in non-western nations. No movement to expect these other countries to reduce their own immigration policies, to allow westerners to live there easily, and be supported to the same extent as migrants get from moving here.

I sometimes wonder if the people who advocate multiculturalism so much, have some kind of contempt for predominately white nations and/or culture that comes from traditionally white nations.

• Advertisement

So how would you react if people come here, contribute nothing, and only take from the system via government money? Don't be so naive to think there's not at least a few of these people knocking around the place

An "Irish" whiskey, made by Diageo, a multinational corporation with its HQ in London, who hoovers up brands and forces a monopoly on Irish pubs, in some cases paying them to only stock Diageo brands, snuffing out competition from native Irish brewers. Yay for multiculturalism if this is the best example you could come up with.

Oh I know there is, but I don't see them as different to our own that do the same.

that type of lifestyle should be discouraged, no matter what nationality

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

Didn't he do enough for this country? What else do we expect them to do beside enriching it, show some gratitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t need a best example? In any case I’m already aware that no example would satisfy you and yours, so I don’t waste my time. You’re not actually responsible for immigration, integration, multiculturalism or social policies, so I don’t know why you imagine I should have to convince you personally of anything or come up with even a good example of what I was referring to and what I mean by multiculturalism.

It’s obviously not the same as what you’re suggesting should be regarded as multiculturalism while only being focused on the negative consequences of ill-conceived social policies, and calling that multiculturalism as though it’s an example anyone wants to aspire to. That’s just bad faith argument and you know it.

See I see them as worse than our own. At least our own native spongers have nowhere else to go. The newcomers had the wherewithal and get up and go to make it to this country, then switch it off once they get handouts from the State. That to me is worse than our native spongers. If you come here and don't want to work, then in my opinion you are not welcome.

Laughable.

Failed multiculturalism is now being blamed on the white man because of his "ill concieved social policies"?? We must be a hive mind, because it's failed in every country it has been forced upon. Maybe there's a white mans "ill concieved social polities" manual that we all use in Europe 🤣🤣🤣🤣

It couldn't be that millennia of tribalism for survival etc., can't be overcome with a few slogans and firing people of differing politics, ethics, standards and religions together and hoping for the best. No definitely the white man. Sure Africa is as multicultural as it comes, isn't it. 🤣🤣🤣 Middle East is a multicultural hotbed. 🤣🤣🤣 It's only the white man and his "ill concieved social policies" that's stopping the EU from being a multicultural nirvana.

Strange, also, that these "ill concieved social policies" don't seem to effect incoming EU immigrants, or most Asians, and certain other ethnicities, but hugely effects others. It's almost as if your point is bullshit.

Why do posters think multiculturalism has.failed in every country?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

Because the only success stories are countries like USA and Canada and Australia where the native population was wiped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

America doesnt look much like a sucess story now that its actually multicultural 🤣

Advertisement