Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Neither FF or FG can afford prolonged coalitions together.

If they present themselves next time around as the same old same old, I'd expect to see their numbers tumble as they did last time out.

Big dilemma for them especially FF.

They won' get away with lie 'we'll never go in with FG'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

And do you think if they said they will go in with SF that will boost their numbers.

Yes, I never believed the bullshit that grassroots FF have any particular hate for SF. They would hate FG far more.

I think the key thing at the next election will be getting the power swap to tell the truth about what they intend to do after the election. Two new leaders of FF and FG too almost bankable.

Just to add (and anyone who knows my posting would know this) Micheal Martin warped the outcome last time. Anyone else leading FF and we would now be in a FF/SF coalition government.

It was Martin zealousness to be Taoiseach that led us to where we are now. He opened the door when he thought he had 50 seats approx on the night of the GE...when it turned out he was on a par with ML and he might have to forego first dibs as Taoiseach he shut the door again.

• Advertisement

As I said let's see what happens in 2025 it's a while away yet.

I will be amazed if they go full term and hope they do. A sickening of a FF/FG coalition will finish the powerswap for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Who says they would? Are you saying the supporters of FF and FG are predicting some sort of perpetual power grab?

Coalition governments have been the name of the game since 1977.

If/when SF get their hands on the big job, they too will need to cosey up to other parties and dish out the top jobs to keep them happy.

Such is the way in a democracy. This isn't China, it's Ireland.

I mentioned before if/when SF assumes power, we will either have Utopia (according to their loyal and vocal online followers) or we will see the true nature of SF. A party of angry hacks, with power populist policies, with little or no talent between them, where outrage over everything in opposition doesn't cut the mustard when you are on the pitch and having to play senior hurling.

I bet is on the latter, as per their record in Northern Ireland.

If they dont deliver or make serious attempts to deliver and turn over decades of misrule....i suggest just push people further left into pbp/socialiat territory and those committed to change

One thing sure as fcuk ffg policies have failed and landed us in this mess and left too many people behind,they wont take us out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Excellent synopsis there Mark.

Of course SF really don’t want power, they are really hoping it doesn’t come any time soon as they fully realise that they lack talent to run the country.

At best four or five ‘politicians’ who could hold junior posts, the rest could t run a bath.

I would predict collapse of confidence from the business sector, lack of confidence from international sources.

I would predict a lot of their ‘energies’ would be wasted on symbolism, commemorations, and God help the average person who works hard saves a bit of dosh as with tax rises will leave them no better off than the lad who sits back on the sofa and waddles down to the PO of a Tuesday..

Harsh reading …yes

But that’s how I and a lot of other informed folk see the future under a potential SF govt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

First 24% was a majority, now 30%

If this is the product of the education system of Rep of Ireland it really is failing

FF roots hate SF and it’s not getting any better when you see the carry on of the SF online mob

The thing the mob haven’t worked out yet, 24 or 30% isn’t a majority, so they need another party and the current carry on is pushing every party away. Abusing people online, trying to change history etc etc, everyone is watching and come 2025 every supporter in the country will be the same, ABSF :-)

I haven't seen anyone propose this 'Utopia' mark. Can you point to them doing it?

And please, it is almost as if you think people are stupid. FG and FF did the same things in 'opposition' the only exception being the quality of their holding the sitting government to account.

The government arrogance and anger at the opposition holding them to account is a testimony to how the function of that role has changed for the better here.

I think it is the power swap fans who sell these magic beans that FF and FG are some sort of unique pure thing that would never engage in politics like every other single party in the history of the democratic world do.

It's not hard to work out dudley:

I'll keep it simple and stick with the three main parties and round up the percentages.

SF 24%

FF 22%

FG 20%

Who has the majority of the vote there?

Disagree totally. FF grassroots hate FG most of all. You can see this in any local authority in the land. Ideologically and on the question of northern Ireland FF would always have been closer to SF. They may see them as rivals but they would have no problem in a coalition.

I don't really care what people have made them selves believe, but it was Martin taking FF out on a limb coalescing with FG. and if constant reports of inner wrangling are correct he may pay a price for that yet. The recriminations if they get decimated will not be pretty and may even terminally split the party.

Well my father (originally a Fermanagh man) was a member for a time and I grew up with my eyes open dudley.

Of course, always a little story to try make it real :-)

It doesn't really matter what you think, I will again applaud the SF supporters online for driving other parties away from them :-) excellent job

?? The next leader (bookie favourite) of FF Jim O'Callaghan has already indicated he doesn't have an issue with a SF coalition as have other FF members. A long term coalition with FG spells the slow end of FF.

I know many here are in denial about what the media and many others saw here on the election thread, but Micheál also opened the door to them when he thought he was going to achieve around 50 seats.

The 'driving away' sensationalism seems to be just that, an invention.

Hardly exactly ground breaking info to say ff would tradionally lean republican (isnt there tagline,the republican party?)

But long term,they havnt a future politically as the age profile of membership is too.old

• Advertisement

It's good spin Francie but the same as majority of what you post it is spin. Jim just came out and said he isn't ruling anything in or out. This is what he said

Asked if Fianna Fáil was still ruling out Sinn Féin, Mr O'Callaghan told RTÉ: "We said before the last election that we wouldn't go in with Sinn Féin, maybe we were too definitive about that, but we said it. We said the same about Fine Gael. However, I think we all need to get together to try to establish a government. Fianna Fáil is doing that."

Mr O'Callaghan later told the Irish Independent: "Our position in respect of Sinn Féin has not changed. However, if there was a national government to be proposed involving all parties, I would have no difficulty with Fianna Fáil playing its part in forming such a government."

Now you can spin that whatever way you want but that says nothing to me that he has no issue with SF coalition. If a national government with all parties has to be created then yes he will be in government with SF. That a long way from what you are saying.

Francie you are alone are doing a very successful job with a few others on here at turning people against SF. On other media, look at the FF facebook website, look at FF TD's twitter accounts etc and everything is full of hate from SF fans. Same on FG.

Another post on the demise of FF, hilarious at this stage. Is the plan for SF to keep telling everyone they have the young vote and everyone will believe them?

So yu think FF will auto join SF because they are a republican party?

When you learn to read between the lines of political speak, maybe take another look at what is being said.

Politicians give signals all the time, that is why media immediately recognised Martin opening the door on the night of the election.

You are free to hold your opinion, I have mine.

I dont really care about ff,they are gone beyond saving and are in terminal decline

They are double the FF under 35

and double it in the 35 to 54 age group

with best will in the world,i dont see what ff have a USP as regards ganering votes,their decline is terminal and beyond saving.....its a bit like watching ulster unionism circle the drain and deny reality,that their voter profile is skewed massively towards elderly and harsh reality is,its beinging to die off

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

None of them do, it is actually simple in percentage terms to call out who/what has a majority.

Ireland has so many parties and has a split in preferences meaning to get an overall majority the main party nearly always has to go in with a smaller party.

In parliamentary procedure, the term "majority" simply means "more than half." As it relates to a vote, a majority vote is more than half of the votes cast.

Sinn Fein will be in government in the short/medium term and what will make or break them is who they go in to power with.

If they go in with FF or FG they will lose a lot of the anti FF/FG voters and if they go in with PBP etc... they are going to lose others.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

And if you look at it another way it's SF in decline at - 8 and - 4 percent

To look it another way,ff only picked up a third of the votes dropped

Multiple polls over an extended period have shown at best a stagnation for ff in the younger age groups,

It can only be described as extravangence having both ff and fg as they are one and the same,the notion their members/policies are different/incompatible simply isnt true and fg have killed them off by having a younger,more high profile membership....there is no way back for ff,lisa chambers aside,id struggle to name a high profile younger member,with talent (there is that woman from dublin,who got in troble over tweets etc,but is v.talented,but sidelined for reasons beyond me)

I understand what it means in terms of forming a government, that's a different thing.

Another ramble, nothing coherent expect SF are brill. Hilarious. Looking at that poll do you honestly think 7% are going to vote for PBP? 🤣

Of course the standard cry for F and FG to join. Then the FF have no talent. Seriously you need to come up with a new one.

• Advertisement

In other words, you are making stuff up as usual and nothing to back it up. I read the statement and nothing saying FF will join SF to form a government. Plus I actually know FF people and they ain't going to approve a FF/SF government.

Maybe if SF changed tack online and some of the rest of the carry on that might lighten but at present not a hope.

You of course are welcome to continue to make stuff up to suit yourself. That's your choice but don't go around telling people they are wrong when you haven't a breeze.

Advertisement