Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

He's staying. Examiner journalist tweeting it now too

• Registered Users Posts: 38,295 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very good news but I won't believe it till an official announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Brilliant news. What a vote of confidence in this Waterford team. Let's push it on next year now. Delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

If its in the Nenagh Guardian too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

WLR Article

Waterford boss Liam Cahill has committed himself to a further year with the county.

The announcement was made this afternoon by Waterford County Board, ensuring that the Ballingarry native will be at the helm of the senior hurlers until the end of 2022 at least.

Speaking to Waterford GAA, Cahill said he wanted to end the speculation that he might return to his home county and leave the ongoing work at the Deise behind, "Since accepting the Waterford invitation to manage their senior hurling team two years ago the support we have received has been remarkable. The Waterford County Board has been unstinting in its backing for everything we did. The reaction of the players, even when difficult decisions had to be made, was exemplary. Their dedication and loyalty left a deep impression on both of us for whom loyalty is paramount."

"In the circumstances we feel that to step aside now from the Waterford journey would be the wrong decision and for that reason we will be staying with the Waterford Senior hurling team for the coming year."

"For now, my commitment is to the Waterford senior hurling team where Mikey Bevans and I feel we have a sense of unfinished business. We made significant progress in the past two years but we feel that there is still more to come from this incredible bunch of players."

In Cahill's first year in charge of the Deise, he guided the team to a Munster Final and an All-Ireland Final; their first Munster decider since 2016 and a first All-Ireland since 2017.

The team who had not won a Championship game in over three years faced Cork in Thurles, dispatching the Rebels 1-28 to 1-24 bringing a close to the 1,175 day wait for a win in the provincial championship.

The team were back in Thurles two weeks later to face the defending champions Limerick, losing the game by four points. With green shoots aplenty, the deficit to the Treaty had been reduced from 20 points the previous year when Limerick ran out as 2-24 to 0-10 winners in Walsh Park; a game that would be the Deise's last loss in Walsh Park. They have remained unbeaten at their home venue until the present day.

The Tipperary native had spoken at length about the need for Waterford to attack more and put behind the defensive mindset they had become known for.

He would bring the team to Croke Park following wins over Clare and Kilkenny in the All-Ireland series, with the second half come back against Kilkenny proving to be one of the greatest in living memory.

The year came to an end for Waterford in Croke Park on December 13th, with Limerick claiming Liam McCarthy 0-30 to 0-19.

This year's Championship began with an unfortunate loss to Clare. The Banner were pushed to the pin of their collar by a Waterford side who needed five minutes more to claim their spot in a Munster semi-final. The full-time score of 1-22 to 0-21 failing to flatter the effort that was shown by Cahill's team in the dying minutes.

With a longer route to Croke Park now needed, Cahill's team entered the All-Ireland qualifiers, beating Laois and Galway on their way to an All-Ireland quarter final meeting with Tipperary.

Facing his home county in Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Cahill's charges claimed their place in the semi-final beating Tipp with a dominant display of attacking hurling; 4-28 to 2-27.

Once again, Limerick were lying in wait for the Deise in Croke Park in the last four, bringing an end to Waterfords year in the senior championship.

The man from Ballingarry will once again man the sideline for the 2022 Championship, with Mickey Bevans at his side. With several key players set to make a return (Mahony, De Burca et al) and the possibility of Stephen O' Keefe once again in the goal mouth it looks to be a hugely positive year for the Waterford hurlers.

https://www.wlrfm.com/sport/liam-cahill-stays-with-waterford-hurlers-205453

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Brilliant, brilliant news. My natural reaction was to give a fist pump when I heard the news.

Wonderful to have it confirmed. The OurGame show was streaming live when the news broke and the reaction of tipps Shane Stapleton was priceless. Blood drained from his face

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Relieved, excited and rearing to go - Cahill has a big job ahead of him, but once again has shown unbelievable faith and confidence in this bunch of players.

Not something i would say too often , but fair play to our County Board for getting their work done and done quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Great news. Up the Déise!

Would like the county board now to be pushing hard for no return to an unbalanced unfair round robin set up for the provincial championships next year

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

Come on the Deise! This is great news.

He still has a mountain to Climb, but hopefully the players see his commitment to them as an invitation to find a way to go that bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

absolutely delighted with that news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Emmeb

What a decision by Mikey and Liam . Two huge men who have made a massive decision which tells us all we need to know about character and loyalty.

A huge fillip to Waterford hurling to continue the journey and the search for that elusive All Ireland win .

It speaks volumes of the character of the men involved .They are Tipp men through and through and yet beyond that they have proven themselves to be hurling men to the core by the call they have made. They also ,by this action ,send a huge message of a "job not done-yet" and their belief in more to come for this talented and gifted Waterford panel .

It really has to be applauded and in truth i jumped when I heard as I had been dreading the alternative .

We have got incredible men here with a sole purpose ,vision and belief that we can win an All Ireland. The panel now knows not just that belief but the expectation that its there and within their grasp. The panel will give it . Now its up to every Waterford hurling supporter to ask what they can do to help in whatever way they can .

Lastly congratulations to the county board for their role in this too .

A great morning for Waterford hurling . Followed PG by a great year in 2022 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yea great news, really didn’t think he’d stay. Wonder what went on behind the scenes for him to come to that decision.

Would love to hear from the players themselves on what they think, I’m sure they’re well pleased also and as another person said above that’ll hopefully give them them incentive and confidence to go that extra mile next year.

Cahill will have a full proper pre season to work with to hopefully bridge some sort of gap to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Whitenblue93

Ah lads what a buzz that’s after making me day. Up Liam Cahill up the Deise!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Will Stephen O'Keeffe come back I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Come back and let us know how those talks are going between "some players" and County Board !

Don't want to gloat too much but I'm very happy with the status quo. Onwards and upwards for Waterford hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Seriously lads, this decision by Cahill speaks volumes for his honour and belief. If you asked people outside Waterford i would say 99 out of 100 would have said he would take the Tipp job. I do not see this as a snub to Tipp - it is more a mark of Cahill's integrity (something that is seriously lacking in some managers out there). I do not believe it could be for money or for any package we could offer, i think he is merely repaying the faith and honesty shown to him by the Waterford panel over the last 12 months.

I hope that the Tipp people can understand, appreciate and respect Cahill's honesty and for his sake I genuinely hope at some future stage they are wise enough to put him in charge of his native county, so that he can fulfill his dream.

But in the meantime i am buzzing - Up the Deise

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Jesus That was great news to get today as it looked like he was on his way back to Tipp. (The Tipp forum had it last night that he could be announced today as new Tipp manager!!)I was on a downer with the last week at the taught of him leaving and where it would leave us going forward. As I said a few weeks ago the one thing that gave me a little bit of hope that he might stay was he seemed an Honourable person and the fact the lads had given him everything in the last two years that he might feel he owed it to them and reading his statement confirms this. It must be a great boost to the players to see the belief Liam and Mickey have in them and hopefully to god we can drive on next year. I think it’s also a great boost to the county aswell everybody I have met is buzzing with the news. I did a bit of a fist pump meself when I heard. Hopefully he won’t get a hard time from the Tipp public and fingers crossed when he has delivered us to the promised land he can go back to Tipp and take over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Rustyman101

Brilliant news ,hon the Deise ! A man of integrity and courage

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Two men of honor. Respect!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Can you be certain it’s down to Cahills ‘honour/loyalty etc. Underneath it all it’s probably down to the ‘dosh’ / financial package he was offered…? Tom Murphy supplying top of range merc….Fitzgerald’s mensware supplying the best of three piece suits, after training ‘Kobe stake’ dinners etc etc….😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

to my knowledge he is light enough on the expenses ,compared to say davy

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I don't expect the Tipperary job to ever be offered to him again. The question marks over him and the Tipp job have died today for good. A lot of anger there today from many people I have spoken to - mostly supporters but also one or two closer to the process.

Obviously from a Waterford perspective it's great and he's shown loyalty and whatnot - but he's turned down the opportunity to manage his county at a time when his county needed him more than they have needed somebody in a very long time. Without Cahill we are in a very bad way without any even passable candidate to take over the job.

He had a lot of goodwill from Tipperary people because the expectation always was that he'd do his 2 years in Waterford and then take over once he had the senior experience under his belt and he would bring though all his underage players. Now he has walked away from all that.

Again, great news if you're a Waterford supporter but it's comical for lads in here to say that you hope Tipperary don't hold it against him. We're in a terrible situation now. It's a disaster, and I can't see it being forgotten - not by the supporters and certainly not by the county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Brilliant news for Waterford. Cahill and Beavans are two straight guys. Poor Derek shot his load early, assuming Cahill would take the Tipp job and split the players with his canvassing while also giving up or not having the balls do the Wexford job. There was a decision by the majority of players to plead with Liam Cahill to stay on after Derek's testing of the waters. The Wexford lads have been around the block and weren't going to listen to his inane platitudes like the group of teenagers he had with Waterford. Derek likes his comfort zone - he's never been out of it - he's back with his adopted club this year, De La Salle "assisting Brian Phelan". Lets see if he ever takes on another senior inter county team. Doubt it, far easier to grab on to the coat tails of John Kiely and Liam Cahill on The Examiner and suggest that he is somehow akin to those lads as an innovative thinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

Oh my god, that post is pathetic. We get the good news that Liam cahill is staying on and you think great, that's a perfect opportunity to have a pop at the guy who we got closest to our first all Ireland with since 1959.

Get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

you forget he had the tipp job,and then tipp rejected him because liam wanted it, he mentioned loyalty in a statement, waterford have shown him loyalty in a way tipp never did.and again here you are sticking your oar in claiming he doesnt deserve another chance?why does tipp deserve another chance? he put his hand up and he got it slapped down before ! tipp cobo fucked him over and are getting fucked over in return

he has proven loyalty is important to him,loyalty works both ways ,tipp made a promise and tipp broke it, take your medicine now, it broke his heart to take them out but he did it, we.are.waterford. his loyalty are to the men who will die for him,run through a brick wall for him, not to a tipp cobo who is forced by media pressure to try and woo him .

To turn down your own county like that means he knows something we don't , you would never do that unless you had an absolute belief that your team has an AI in them, unfinished business as it were .I expect that loyalty to be paid back in kind, we have only one target limerick, 4 trophies one team let's take at least 2 off them

Advertisement