Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Existing fossil car runaround (04 petrol VW touran) crapped itself again, so I have just put a deposit on an Ioniq 28 for herself. Looking forward to being back in the best non Tesla Ev I've driven so far!

(Intention in future is to be a 2 EV family, so I'll still be aiming to buy a Tesla whenever we move and this doesnt change that)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Get the dealer to replace 12v dude!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I'll be down to halfrauds if they dont. Good spec 12v is less than a hundred quid anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

What's the going rate for an Ioniq 28 these days? Considering options as current car is having issues. 😑

I wanted 15k as a buy price but turns out I was ~2k off

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Private sale you're bang on. Dealers will ask silly money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

For any existing 28kw owners out there, I've just picked up a frunk from an Irish supplier based in Galway. Took less than 5 minutes to install and comfortably holds the type 2 cable and granny charger (minus the case). Finally frees up the boot and makes accessing cables easier. Might put gas struts in the bonnet for ease of access too.

Highly recommend this to any Ioniq owners. Cost €152.

https://www.evaccessoriesireland.com/product-page/hyundai-ioniq-28kw-front-storagr-box

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes. On the right steering controls there is a menu option for adaptive cruise control as slow, normal and fast, I have mine set to quickly return to set speed. You can also knock off cruise control with O button on steering wheel or press down on right steering wheel button to set cruise to actual speed now travelling. Hitting break pedal for a fraction of a second turns off cruise control too. Pressing up brings up old set speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

23 to 24 k should get a 2019.

Be prepared to potentially travel - some dealers will try to start at 26 k.

What's the budget????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Zg, thanks for posting this

"On the right steering controls there is a menu option for adaptive cruise control as slow, normal and fast,"

Which button is this please

• Advertisement

At €152 i'd be pretty happy with that. Cables in the boot, no matter what the car, is always a pain.

Ordered. Cheers for the recommendation.

You won't regret it! I've got gas struts for the bonnet arriving from Amazon today, £28. Will post back when I've had the chance to install with feedback and a link if they're worth a buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭zg3409

See the manual for the car. You go into entries on the speedo screen, and follow your nose. There is a lot of options there not on main infotainment screen

Is that a 10m granny cable that fits alongside the T2->T2?

Am still looking to get a granny cable for it (have been borrowing when required) and trying to figure out whether the screwfix 5m or 10m is a better option (€30 in a difference I think) and whether it will fit!

How often do you think you'll use it, and where. I only used mine at my parents or in-laws houses, and both had fairly accessible sockets near to parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

+1

The handful of times I have needed the granny cable in almost 5 years of owning EVs and I just brought a 20M cable reel with me (rented holiday home / hotel)

Almost never - but the fact that I'll almost never need it / take it out of the frunk means maybe the hassle of having 'too much cable' will only impact 2/3 times before I get to the point of requiring the longer cable!

It's the standard one that came with the car, not 100% on the length but it wouldn't even be 5m I'd say. I have a 10m heavy duty waterproof extension cable under the tray in the boot should I ever need it in an emergency.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Those who have had the actuator on the charge port fail, the granny charger won't work when this happens either will it? (It seems obvious to me that it wouldnt but just want to make sure). Having trouble getting a charge started at the mo and trying to figure out if it's the car or the zappi at fault. Seems like it's the zappi since the granny cable looks to be working.

Zappi just shows EV disconnected, no faults or anything, like I haven't even plugged in. I think a cable inside it might have come loose.

• Advertisement

Granny charger won't work when the actuator fails either so something else is the issue there. If the granny charger is working it means the car itself is fine, so I'd be looking at the Zappi. Have you tried resetting the Zappi, or powering it off completely and back on? No dirt or moisture or anything in the head of the cable where it connects to the car?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's powered off at the mo, but am working so haven't had a proper go at trouble shooting yet. I suspect, since there's no on screen faults, that there's a comms cable in the charger lead that has come loose and it's not doing the handshake with the car as a result.

When you plug in, do you hear the charge port try to lock the cable in place? This should happen regardless of whether the other end of the cable is plugged into anything.

If you don't, then chances are you have a faulty charge port actuator. Get onto Hyundai and let them know. The charge port actuator was a recall part on at least the early Ioniqs, and though mine was replaced, the replacement failed and Hyundai replaced that replacement with a "modified charge port actuator" under warranty. Pulling the emergency cable release in your lower boot well (there's a flap on the right side of the floor) should "reset" the charge port actuator and allow it to lock in place again when you put your cable in next time. You'll have to repeat this process any time you want to plug the car in though, and if I remember correctly you might need to lock and unlock the car after yanking on the emergency release (and I mean yank it!). Hope that helps.

The car locked the cable in place for the zappi when I locked the car alright but I didn't hear the "clunk" like I would usually when a charge starts. It worked instantly with the granny charger which is why I was thinking the issue was more likely the zappi than the actuator.

I hadn't thought about the emergency release so will give that a go, thanks!

If it works with the granny cable but not the zappi it's nothing to do with the car. The emergency release doesn't care if it's a granny cable or your zappi. It won't have any affect pulling it.

The "clunk" you're referring to is the relay flipping in the zappi I imagine. To me it sounds like your Zappi is at fault rather than the car.

Happy camper here too. Heading on a big journey shortly enough where every bit of space will be required!

Pilot holes are very slightly off perfect but very easy to install other than having to do a little bit of nudging.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I've noticed my car is only charging at 5.2 kw at home, when using my zappi. My leaf used to charge at 6.6 or thereabouts. It's not a huge issue for me, as I'd generally charge over night, but I'd like to figure out why it's happening, and fix if possible. My zappi is tethered, so I had to have the cable swapped from the type 1 I had before to a new type 2. I'm wondering if maybe the cable is the problem, or the installation of the cable (which I had an electrician do). Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭this.lad

Os the charging current in settings set to max?

This also happened to me for another reason, if the ECO button, or whatever its called, is pressed it can change the charge rate. I think it has three settings. You cycle through by pressing repeatedly.

Yeah one or two holes were 1-2mm off for me too. If anyone else gets one, the best bet is to loosely screw in 2 screws on one side, then use a bit of force to push the other screws in line. The frunk is slightly flexible so it's simple enough to do. Once all four screws are loosely in, tighten them all up and you're good to go. I spent about half an hour with the seller as I collected mine and they helped install there and then so they could get some photos of the installation process, as this is their first batch of Ioniq frunks.

• Advertisement

I've fed back to the guy that he's "almost spot on" and will send him a photo or two, think he's heading on holidays this week but hopefully he'll be able to make a tiny adjustment to the pilot holes for others. Regardless of exactitude, it absolutely fits the bill as is anyway.

Advertisement