Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

The pup would be much less than that for people that were only in part time work previously. The wage subsidy scheme also helped employers along the way to pay for staff.

I do of course get your point about pubs/restaurants struggling to fill staff roles but the PUP will be over fairly soon and contractors at festivals are well paid jobs. Even regular hospitality work at festivals would generally pay better than a regular pub/hotel/restaurant.

I still think EP wouldn't have much of an issue to get site workers at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Yeah, I suppose that is a possibility.

It would help them reset and start again as they would then be able to sell a full compliment of tickets for 2022 as soon as the festival is over as in previous years.

For the people who simply decide not to attend, that is fair enough. But the people who are now excluded from attending because of their vaccine status, it will be a hard pill to swallow (yes, the taking of medication idiom is funny in this case :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

I'm afraid that I wouldn't know bodhrandude. I have no insight into this at all 🙂

If they wanted to sell more tickets, at the moment they would only be able to sell the ones that are refunded. To sell tickets for space left by people not attending, they will have to know who is not attending and have the refund completed before the new tickets are sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It isn't. Presumably, FR/MCD stood down their team after the license was rejected so all the gear is likely still in the UK. You cannot mobilise to a large isolated site at the click of a finger.

I guess it could be done, if it were a case of run it at any costs but I believe the promoters are in the business of turning a profit. So no, it wasn't possible. A very much scaled back one might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

When you see the headline, it really does bring home how farcical it all is now..

Couldn't agree more with your first two sentences! Tony is coming all out now with his "Moi?". And Leo, doing what he can for the folks... Both of them knowing that they are safe since the timelines are too short. The only one missing form the triumvirate is Micheal. Radio silence as ever, he thinks he has enough followers to get him through, what with the sports opening. He's getting himself ready to tell us we are at the edge of the promised land, we should be proud, he's proud, we've come a long long way together, blah, blah f ck ng blah. But the reality is they've left a cohort of people out in the wilderness, and will do for some time yet.

And to lighten the mood and bring the conversation back to the festival.....

A picture of a goat on top of a load of washing machines! (2011, I think)😀

It does and as I said earlier, the most recent AG intervention didn't end well. The only thing missing from the photo caption is Leo wearing a Halo.

I'm not seeing anything the AG can do to reverse a decision by a local authority, open to correction of course. This has all the hallmarks of more trouble than it's worth at this stage, I suspect the AG will stay clear of this farcical mess. Leo will have to find somewhere other than Laois to fly his Kite 😉

• Advertisement

Excellent! 😃

I hope they took out the drums out of them, they make fantastic fire pits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭rubick

Was that the year there was a maze of washing machines?

(I think) I remember that. I can't remember what year it was. I will have to dig out an old hard drive to look back on some photos at some stage.

It is funny really. The first time I went, I brought a big digital camera and took loads of photos. As time went on, I downsized to a pocket camera and then to only having the phone in my pocket. The number of pictures taken each year has decreased as I would be thinking "Why would I need a photo of that, I will remember it all"

And now, I really see the benefit in having these photos to reminisce over.

I think I might be wearing a body-cam for the weekend if we ever get back to Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yeah I think it was around the same area the Algorhythm light boxes were sitting in previous years near the entrance to main stage arena along with the Cubeatron in 2008.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what the hell are you on about "PUP bashing" ?? sounds like youve gone on a solo run with some kind of an agenda there.

im a business owner in a midlands town (not too far from stradbally) and i know plenty of premises (hotels, pubs and restaurants) that have found it very very difficult to staff since the reopening. I know of 2 pubs in the last month who literally had to close their doors for 2 weeks because a staff member tested positive and the others that were working with him had to quarantine until they had the required negative tests. there was no cover staff, none. impossible to get. I know the large 4 star hotel close to me have had to have staff on 12 hr plus shifts to be able to cover the demand since the reopening. The staff are knackered at this stage, but relief staff is impossible to get.

I was on holiday in the west during the second week of august. i stooped into a very well known rural hotel with my family one day for food to be told they are only serving food to guest as they cannot get the staff to open fully. i contacted plenty of restaurants IN galway who were only doing takeout as they couldnt get the staff to open fully, no matter how much they wanted to.

i was on Achill for a weekend 2 weeks prior to that and it was the same situation. plenty of popular well know pub and dining spots were still closed because they couldnt get the the staff to reopen as fully at the wanted.

now there may be a lot of staff that jumped at other jobs prior to the reopening of pubs in order to earn a wage higher than the PUP, but the anecdotal evidence that im hearing straight from the mouths of these business owners is that staff is very hard to get and the main reason they are saying this is because of the ability of previous staff to get PUP while doing a few hours for cash in other jobs as a top up. Plenty doing package deliveries, food deliveries etc.

if you are reading that as "PUP bashing" then all i can do is tell you that its not what im saying. im just making the point that if EP were to go ahead in 4 weeks time those myriad of vendors on site would have a lot of trouble staffing their stalls unless they are paying cash (which i expect a lot do regardless of PUP anyway)

also, lets not forget either that this year has been teh best year ever for 6th year students to find summer work! a lot of these students will be unavailable to work to likes of EP as well, due to the time of year and college etc starting back.

anyway, its all moot, EP isnt happening in 4 weeks time.

Back stage to the main stage 2018.

The Haunt under construction 2018

A walk though the hole in the wall Staff entrance. 2018

Scarlxrd 2018

Death Grips 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Some random politician on the news there saying they are all trying to get EP go ahead. Suggested they could do it in a sports ground and conceded that camping would be out in that case.

Yeah fcuk that for a game of soldiers, camping is the main part of the EP experience, especially after main arena acts, what does the twilight otherworld have to offer up to 4 AM in the morning.

Ah Scarlxrd, mental, mental. I can see myself in your video, albeit "back 'n' sides" 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

I guess this is all part of the game being played back and over. It'll probably come to nothing. Or it might put a bit of required pressure back on Laois County Council if they fear it'll move away from Stradbally.

My ears were ringing after that gig then I went down the staff cross roads to Rankin Woods for Death Grips and onto the Prodigy closing set, a very rock n roll night.

i would have been about the same distance back on the opposite side of the tent.. mental gig !!! i had a huge smile across my face for the whole of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Move where?

Laois CC have little to worry about and have prob pleased there voters.

From reading random bits seem EP made no exceptions on entry or reduction on numbers in its application (please feel free to correct if I am wrong).

So Laois CC were left in a tough spot. No point proposing new criteria if you don't include it in the application.

Now if Laois CC indicate a version could have happened with certain rules then it's EP's fault for not playing safe.

Heard on the radio that Laois CC literally cannot make it happen now. Assume the same approval process and timelines apply to all authorities so likely next year it is.

a newspaper notice has to be submitted into both a local and a national paper within 2 weeks of making the application.

the only 2 local papers are the express and the nationalist.

both are published on a tuesday so right now the earliest an application can be submitted is tuesday of next week (i dont recall seeing an event application in this weeks editions) which is the 31st

so even if LCC cabinet met the following day, which is highly highly unlikely .. EP would have at best, less than 26 days to prepare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Loads of politicians must have got tickets !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

They could probably designate it as a trial event or some sh1t and skip local planning permission. The law has a way of working when the political will is there.

I apologise if you feel I was reading your initial post as PUP bashing, on reading it back, it was exactly that. I understand now perhaps why your of the opinion PUP is the only cause of staff shortages in hospitality, its the same Mantra spun by industry lobby groups who blame everyone but themselves.

If as you say, your experienced, then my explanation re staff shortages is all the more clearer to you.

I'll leave it at that apart from saying pubs closing re covid outbreaks has Zero to do with the initial post you made, staff can hardly be blamed for a premises closing because of a Covid outbreak or perhaps you feel they can 🤔

Let's get back to the Topic at hand, you brought PUP into the discussion, I've no desire to discuss further.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Typical example of politician trying to cash in on public pressure but completely misreading the room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I know. Some women not lifting a finger at home. ffs!

Advertisement