Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Just read that both Austria and Croatia have put an "Expiry Date" on the use of the EU DCC - 270 days (approx 9 months) from when someone is considered fully vaccinated. After that, negative tests are required.

Official Source :- Reopen EU App

Its inevitable I think. We will all be back to needing tests before too long, if vaccine efficacy drops like the latest reports suggest. Needing a test won’t stop me and my partner from travelling, but travel will always have the risk that you get stuck in a place having contacted Covid there. Which is tough if you’re travelling with a family. I am starting to think that we won’t be back to ‘normal’ travel for years

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spalpeen

Hoping to go to Scotland in October. Do I need a covid digital cert or negative test? Unsure as it's not EU

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@Bumpstop wrote

I flew to the South of France the first day of the DCC from Dublin....There are no Yellow stickers or arrows anywhere and the people are relaxed, no one is jumping out of your way. French people don't really do personal space anyway. So all very relaxed and great to get away from the gloom of Ireland.

That was a few weeks ago though. The situation in France has changed, with new restrictions imposed in early August (a couple of days into my 2 week holiday).

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Which-areas-of-France-are-reinstating-mandatory-masks-outdoors

My experience was that masks were used (and enforced gently but insistently by the Gendarmerie) in high traffic outdoor areas, and that the pass sanitaire was checked when dining in restaurants indoors or outdoors, but not cross-checked with ID.

On arriving back in Ireland, and living near a similarly sized town, I found the transition fairly unnoticeable. I don't see any doom and gloom in Ireland except on this forum (and in the media, which you don't have to seek out).

So from my experience the rules in France are mostly stricter (masks required in some outdoor areas, pass required for outdoor dining but that includes negative test) but in practice easier to defraud (e.g. by copying someone else's pass). I haven't eaten indoors yet in Ireland so haven't experienced whether proof of vaccination is cross-checked with id.

In September pass sanitaire will be required for 12+ in France, because like us they are vaccinating that age group. I haven't seen mention of similarly extending the vaccination requirement in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

• Registered Users Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Scotland, like the rest of the UK require no authorisation to enter from the Republic of Ireland, technically you don't even need a passport - although you do need one for getting onto a Ryanair flight

On the way back you will need the below documents

1. Digital COVID Certificate or privately issued negative/not detected PCR test certificate
    2. Passport for passport control at the Irish airport - although I have heard that your boarding pass suffices this
    3. Passenger locator form
    4. A face covering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Quags

Nearly sure it was 100% and I flew to Croatia on Aer Lingus and returned on Ryanair. Be more concerned with the dirt of the Ryanair planes than what I would with Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just back in Ireland. Yesterday we crossed England/UK and it instantly hits you when you go into a motorway service area and most people aren't wearing masks.It's completely different to every (10) other European country we were in over the summer and included in that are some fairly laid back Balkan countries. A supermarket in Wales had higher mask usage, but still way less than Europe.

I'm undecided what is better, given the high vaccination rates in the UK and time of year I can understand the UK's approach. Regardless of what they say, it's definitely a case of 'let it rip'.

We followed the UK gov's online requirements and paid for day 2 tests (€150, you're welcome Randox) in addition to the pre-travel tests even though we were fully vaccinated and transitting on the same day. The Border Force person told us that we still needed them. But we know of another Irish family who didn't have them and were still allowed to transit. Of the €500 we had to spend on PCR/antigen tests in Europe this summer, €300 were for an 8 hour UK transit.

If you were flying and just connecting in LHR,you are exempt from those UK testing rules,unless of course you're connecting to NI

• Advertisement

We were driving. Surprised the other family got in without the Day 2 Tests. UK Gov are fairly clear about it on their website that even if you're only going to be there for a day, you still have to purchase a Day 2 Test. My personal experience of Border Force is that they are polite, but there's not much leeway for blagging your way around the rules.

I actually stand corrected

I've been told by BA that if you transit Heathrow, from the EU to Dublin,you need an antigen test for the UK,even if the transit is only an hour

You also need the UK plf filled in

None of that if you transit inside the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

Irish, living in Thailand. I'd like to head back to Ireland in Nov for a visit.

Not vaccinated.

Do I need a negative test to enter?

Do I get on on arrival?

Do I need to quarantine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Baybay

Have a look at the Re-open EU app. There’s a lot of information about what’s expected coming into Ireland, depending on where people are travelling from.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Whats the story with the UK ?

I see 7 countries were added to their "green" list, but still need a test and vaccine cert to travel from there ?

What does their green list mean ?

I am Irish living in Spain with an EU covid cert - can I go to England to see a match or need to wait longer ?

The UK have ended up like what Tony wanted us to be, if we hadn't been saved by the EU.

They're making it as difficult (expensive) as possible for anyone to leave/enter the country at the moment.

Within the country, it's laissez faire, with very little masking or social distancing in evidence.

Reintroduction of the ban on travel from the USA being discussed by the EU today, after being proposed by Slovenia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Just get an auld STI test when you're back and you're golden

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Sure it should be re-introduced. I was not able to go to the USA for over a year now with no valid reason. Feck them too

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Keep an eye on Hotel Quarantine list in Ireland as the UK just added THailand and we tend to copy a lot of their list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

But the word is that they are going to lift that restriction on September 6. They’re likely to not if we do the opposite

edit: anyway it seems like it’ll just be restrictions for unvaccinated people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Any significance to us having a greater than 500 per 100,000 14 day rate now and being dark red? Am I correct in saying that for EU to EU travel there is no question of country specific rules being imposed on us and we are fine to travel anywhere in the EU once you have vaccine cert and fill out locator stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I flew to UK recently via Ryanair and they never checked the vaccine cert, or the passenger locator form on way back. They just asked had I the passenger locator form filled that was all.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Just back from Spain. After all the nonsense that went on all year here with MHQ etc., there was not 1 single check of my covid documents coming into Ireland from Spain. On the way out, the Spanish checked everything.

I do find the Spanish approach to Covid a bit odd. There is no social distancing, rules or anything. It seemed a totally normal 2 week holiday with everywhere busy. Yet they mask kids over 6. Seems strange.

Here's as good a question as any to ask here I suppose,how early would you need to be at a check in counter with your bags for a 555am flight ? On a weekday morning

Secondly if you go hand luggage only,check in online,where is your covid cert checked, at the boarding gate ?

Thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yep same here - just back yesterday after the best 2 week holiday Ive had in years.

Going out nothing was checked either in Dublin or Girona except the spainish locator form, coming back the Ryanair check in staff checked every single person at the bag drop off - I mean everything -- covid certs, pcr tests, locator forms for all 5 of us - it was quick though as long as you had everything in order.

Nothing checked in Dublin coming back only passports....I t was like flying pre - pandemic overall.

I suspect that once you upload them when you are checking in online that thats enough for them - on the Ryanair site you upload any relevant docs in the boarding pass section and when you print the boarding pass it says down the bottom "covid documents submitted" - I think this is why it felt so easy - I had everything uploaded but I did notice some people were scrutinised more than us - either they didnt have the docs uploaded or were just spot checked.

As for actually being in Spain - It was like there was no covid (well except for the pubs shutting at 12.30 due to a curfew but that was manageable)

But everything else was almost like normal- what I did notice was a lot more common sense way of doing things - For example the rules in most places was to wear a mask IF you couldnt keep 1.5m apart - so in an empty bar you could leave it off (all staff had masks on) - if there was a large queue everyone had one on - common sense and every person was sensible and followed the rule and it just worked.

Overall - if you have a chance to travel- just do it - its not a big scary monster thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The airlines are the ones inbound to Dublin who are to check all the documents.

Checks in the airport when you land are only spot checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yep. Got back from Italy. Everything checked in Naples and nothing on arrival. She asked if everything had been checked in Italy and said they were only doing spot checks then.

• Advertisement

Yes but if you OLCI,where are your covid docs checked? Is my question

Does anyone know ?

Advertisement