Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup 2020 [Official Thread!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

This week could have a significant impact on the Ryder Cup rankings. Ian Poulter will move ahead of Shane Lowry in the World Points list if he can finish 3rd on his own and Shane finishes outside the top 15. If Poulter finishes 2nd on his own, Shane would need to finish no worse than a two way tie for 4th in order to stay ahead of him in the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

|Well Poulter skittled himself, so Shane safe for another week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

When do the automatic picks become the team? Is it early September? In fairness if poulter was to get into automatic ahead of Shane, be hard to pick somebody else ahead of him.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see Rose miss a pick (assuming doesn't shoot lights out into autos in coming weeks).

There are five weeks to go before the team is finalised. The final ranking event is the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth from September 9th to 12th. The final regular PGA tour event is this week, followed by 3 weeks of playoffs. There will be plenty of points up for grabs in the playoffs, but strong fields so not easy pickings.

The BMW PGA Championship is the flagship event for the European Tour with 64 OWGR points for the winner and results in this tournament could well have a strong impact on who makes it into the automatic qualifying spots.

Perez looked like he could be in good shape to make some ground today but in the end he made bugger all. So Shane still comfortably in the top 9 heading into the fedex playoffs where hopefully he gets at least 2 tournaments out of it which would be quite lucrative to his chances if he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Is Kisner in with a chance now after today’s win?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Wouldn't think so

Good matchplay pedigree, but he's still a long way back on the qualification list and a lot of other players ahead of him. He'd want to go deep in the fedex to be in with a shout

I was looking at the rankings just now and I see that the qualifying period for the US team ends two weeks ahead of the European team qualifying period, although the team won’t be announced until after the Tour Championship the following week. This gives the US team an extra week to prepare for the Ryder Cup. Coincidentally, both final qualifying tournaments are sponsored by BMW.

Morikawa officially the first player to have qualified for the ryder cup. He cant mathematically be caught by 7th place on the american points system.

After the Wyndhm Championship, DJ also now qualified as he cant be caught either.

Probably safe to say that Rahm is home and Dry for europe, along with a lot of others but we don't seem to be sporting fancy Q's beside our players names. Even including the BMW PGA championship, there arent enough combined points for him to be overtaken by all 4 players behind him. Especially when the other front runners wont be playing in europe until that tournament if not the Italian Open before it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

Westwood going well there at the moment too.

Shane has moved ahead of tommy Fleetwood on the world points list by virtue of his decent performance in the states.

Grand scheme of things, it doesnt mean much as Fleetwood is already qualifying off european points list Shane has moved himself 40+ points clear of the chasing pack

Post edited by Rikand on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

If the nine automatic picks stay as they are, then are Harrington's picks nailed on to be Rose, Garcia, Poulter? Or is there anyone else being talked about? MacIntyre?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Don't think there's any way he picks a rookie not named Shane.

Shane and Hovland will be the rookies, anyone else has to play there way in I'd say. Bernd, Victor and Bob all have a chance to do so in the closing European Tour events, although Bob is playing the Korn Ferry events I believe, so is effectively giving up on qualification, he'll play the PGA I imagine.

Anyone fancy naming the 6 US picks?

As things stand I'd pick Xander, Spieth (would pick Reed, but he's pretty ill by all accounts), Simpson, Mickelson, Zalatoris and Cink. I've gone down the list a bit as I don't really like a lot of the younger guys. Think Cink would be a great pick but he's 29th in the rankings and not sure if Stricks would go that far down.

Maybe Kisner instead of Will if he's not been playing for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

apart from the PGA mickelson hasn’t been great. I wouldn’t bring him

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

No way they should bring Mickelson. He even said himself it would be madness to bring someone who has had one good weekend all year. He's minus SG in every metric bar Approach.

Xander, Spirth, Cantlay, Berger would be locks for me. Then 2 from Kokrak, English & Scheffler. I'd lean towards the latter two.

Oh, I just picked who I'd like to see. Have no interest in seeing Cantlay or English.

Now Phil spraying it around and getting exasperated with the odd moment of magic thrown in, that's good TV!

For tactical reasons I'd probably pick Simpson, Kisner and Cink though.

Perez, wiesberger, migliozzi and Detry all playing in europe this week.

Wiesberger the only one who could upset the european points list with a win

Perez the only one who can catch shane lowry with a win on the world points list

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Really not sure about Rose, his form is shocking, not even making the Fed Ex, will he do a Lyle and withdraw due to form?

Phil would be great, play once before the singles, pretty amazing a player of his stature and reigning Major champ to be passed on a pick, US can't have too many rookies

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

For the US I assume Spieth, Xander and Cantlay are locks. I imagine English will be picked too.

I wouldn't be as sure about Berger but he probably should get one.

Kokrak is a good fit for the course so would be a good choice I think. Phil would be a good fit too but he's been woeful outside of the PGA.

Na or Horschel would be interesting but I can't see either being picked unless they do well the next couple of weeks.

Simpson and Zalatoris seem to have dropped off in recent months, I reckon they'll miss out too.

There's some serious depth on the US side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Do you know how many Ryder cup points are available for the Italian Open this weekend?

Switzerland this week and there is a pot of 2750 points. This was how the points divided up for a tournament earlier in the season with the same points :: https://www.europeantour.com/european-tour/bmw-international-open-2021/ - The winner this week should get 460 points, which doubled up would be worth 920 to their rydercup total.

Italy has 4250 points and is on next week. This was the Omega Dubai desert classic which had the same points on :: https://www.europeantour.com/european-tour/omega-dubai-desert-classic-2021/ - The winner for that tournament got 710 which when doubled would be worth 1420 for the Ryder Cup Qualification.

Final tournament of the year in wentworth has 8000 points in the pot. The Abu Dhabi had the same points and this was how it broke down :: https://www.europeantour.com/european-tour/abu-dhabi-hsbc-championship-2021/ - The winner for that tournament got 1335 points, so doubled up that would be 2670 rydercup points. So there is still a lot of change that could happen on the ryder cup points list over the last couple of tournaments

Is Rose's form really that bad though, he missed out by a shot and looked like winning the tournament at one point, who knows what he would have done if he qualified?

Judging by his number 1 in the world best he obviously hasn't been playing his best golf but he's had top 10s in 2 of the last 4 majors and a top 10 in his last start. I would say they are signs of him turning things around again. I certainly don't see his form as that much worse than Sergio and Poults who people are seeing as locks. His Ryf=der Cup record is not that much worse than theirs either.

He'd be a definite pick for me and I'd expect him to perform very well in the matches themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Would I be right then in assuming that if Wiesberger has some decent finishes or even picks up a win over the next 3 weekends then Lowry will be back outside the automatic picks by default? Wiesberger overtaking Rory in the European Points and then Rory will take Shane's spot in the world points?

Theoretically, but Rory will be playing the PGA at Wentworth as will Shane and pretty much the whole team I imagine. In practice he would have to win one and finish ahead of Rory at the PGA and if he does that he'll deserve his spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Wiesberger leading coming up the 18th in Switzerland. Not sure if a win would get him into the automatic spots but it might make him a candidate for a pick.

Honestly I think he'd be a weak link. He's never had a top 10 in the US and I wonder if the atmosphere would be a bit too much for him.

Assuming Garcia and Poulter are locks, I'd take Rose or even Stenson over Wiesberger for the third pick.

Edit: He ended up playing the 18th like a 20 handicapper. Double bogey and he's going to lose by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Wiesberger double bogeyed the last and will finish 2nd at best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If Noren can get a decent round going tonight he might sneak in past rose.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement