Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if you cant understand how staff shortages cause a premises to close down due to, eh, staff shortages, then im glad youre out of that discussion. ive no interest in educating you.

but as i said anyway, its all moot, its not happening in 4 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

You've clearly been educated and perhaps it's the reason for your angst

I suggest if you can tear away from your business, read your OP back, slowly might help, to better understand your offensive slant on the reasons on staff shortages. As I've explained, I know of no "Quality" business who retained their staff, having any difficulty retaining said staff.

Bye

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

LOL

i have no angst :D and obviously youre one of these who "take" offense... so from that...

bye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

What is the best route to get into the red car park? Coming from the Carlow side.

And while I'm at it... can I sleep in my car?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just messaged my volunteer coordinator for the craic asking her when are the Crew Showers are going to be up and running. 😜

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

A perfect example of saying nothing being the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Pabloandroy reckon traffic will be light this year so take whatever route suits you best😉

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

That's a fair point actually and if it was too go ahead it would technically be a test event.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I really need to stop posting here so much and get back to Cabinet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

From Gaven Reilly on Twitter

Even designating Electric Picnic as a 'pilot event', so as to allow it have over 500 attendees, doesn't seem to get around problem that you need 13 weeks' notice (at least) to apply afresh to the local authority for an outdoor event licence. So… (1/2)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

It's crazy that there seems to be will from all sides to put the festival on but it in all likelihood won't happen. Depressing.

You'd wonder was the kilmainham gig with Gavin James known 3 months before it went ahead to get the planning app in etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The government have happily rewritten rules, legislation, guidelines and constitutionally enshrined rights since the first days of the pandemic.

They sure as siht can allow EP go ahead if they want, but its pretty clear that they are happy just to be seen to be “trying really really hard” to get it to go ahead.

Time for some more happy photographs, the year is 2013.

The new expanded Trenchtown.

Wu Tang Clan opening I think on Friday.

Bjork - Nattura

Eels - Oh Well

David Byrne & St Vincent.

The Knife - Silent Shout.

And as always Mothers on Sunday night at the Earthship.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Nphet are saying 90% vaccinated before fully uplifting indoor events, such as bowling, pubs and clubs.

That'll be done, according to that reporter, when a further 110,000 are vaccinated. That can happen well before the EP. So again, what more do they want before saying an outdoor event is safe?

Can hear Christy Moore sound checking from my house, its great. 😃

Is everyone having dinner or something, this thread was a hive of activity today and its suddenly stopped. Silly me, yer probably out appreciating the weather like I should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

Well events under 5000 people don't need a license so it didn't matter.

Ah yes I forgot about that oul chestnut 😂, makes sense now

• Advertisement

Sat outside the stadium enjoying a tin of beer and Christy playing the old classics, I even hear he has included the Moving On Song again. It was exciting hearing the build up and in between songs, missed it so much, that sound of excited chatter you hear at gigs which is quite different from sporting events. Junior Brother's set was incredibly quiet though from my house, you could hardly hear him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Well, I guess if you believe the headline, and not immediately recognise what a pile of horseshit it and the whole article is....

But there's a lot of gullible (or willfully ignorant) people in this thread over the last few days who clearly don't have a clue about laws, regulations, and general logistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ah man your words are beautiful. I miss the sounds you described (the sound checking which you hear the guitars/basses been tuned/checked etc)

Please god ill be in the UK next month for a gig and then we have full blown back in Ireland after that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Clearly having a moan on the Internet should be restricted to people who do have a clue about such things. Maybe there could be a law for that. Can we do that? I don't know 'cos I don't have a clue about laws and things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Electric Picnic organisers make final plea to Government to let event go ahead

Catherine Martin is said to be exploring all options to allow for holding of festival

about 6 hours ago

Cormac McQuinn

The crowd at the Main Stage at Electric Picnic on the Sunday night of the 2018 festival. Photograph: Dave Meehan/The Irish Times

The organisers of Electric Picnic have made a final plea to the Government for the music festival to be allowed to proceed this year.

Festival Republic wrote to senior Government figures on Thursday asking for the festival to go ahead as a Government pilot event for people who are fully vaccinated against Covid-19.

It comes as Minister for Culture Catherine Martin was said to be exploring all options to allow for the holding of Electric Picnic this year, including the possibility it could be designated as a pilot. However, planning regulations that require large outdoor concerts to have licences from local authorities could prove to be a major hurdle.

Organisers had hoped the Stradbally festival could proceed for up to 70,000 attendees on the weekend of September 24th to 26th. However, Laois County Council refused the application for a licence earlier this month, citing HSE advice and the public health measures in place due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The council said on Wednesday there is no provision in law for it to revisit the rejected application. It also said that even if a new application is made “statutory timelines” do not allow for the processing of a new application in time for the dates originally proposed for the festival.

Planning regulations include a requirement that the licence application must be submitted 13 weeks before the concert is due to go ahead.

While Minister for Housing and Local Government Darragh O’Brien has the power to amend such regulations without Oireachtas approval, his department cast doubt on whether this would happen.

A statement said the current regulations were the outcome of detailed consultations with stakeholder groups. “It would arguably be difficult to justify amending the regulations and to vary the current timeline provisions for the purpose of one specific event,” it said.

Learn more

Committee meeting

Ms Martin is to raise the issue of Electric Picnic at Friday’s Cabinet Covid sub-committee meeting on the roadmap for easing the remaining pandemic restrictions. She is expected to have support from Tánaiste Leo Varadkar, who is also pushing for the music festival to be allowed to proceed alongside the reopening of other businesses to people who are fully vaccinated.

Ultimately, Attorney General Paul Gallagher’s input could be sought on proposals for how the event could go ahead.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin, Mr Varadkar and Ms Martin were among those contacted by Festival Republic as part of its renewed appeal for Electric Picnic to go ahead as a pilot event.

It is understood the organisers had proposed as far back as July 22nd that it would be held as a pilot event for vaccinated people.

Previous Government pilot events for music and sport did not fall under the event licensing regime.

The live music events in this regard were for much smaller crowds and fell under the 5,000-attendee threshold above which a licence must be secured from a council.

Events like the All-Ireland hurling final in Croke Park – where there were 40,000 fans in attendance – did not need a local authority licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Rfrip

No need for that!I have no clue in the laws or the regulations never mind the general logistics to throw on a 70k capacity festival …it’s just having a bit of hope and discussing on this thread any possible outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The same couple of people on this thread are still clearly very scared of getting back to normality and are fighting tooth and nail to explain to all of us idiots why it shouldn't go ahead

This is very common these days and we should do our best to encourage these people and coax them back from under their beds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

This is true to a point, I know myself I was a little bit apprehensive about going to the pubs again this year after the disaster at Christmas. It wouldn't bother me as much now, but I guess people will need time. Social anxiety will be an issue for people for a while yet.

Advertisement