Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Because it's much easier to think of the failures than the successes. Yugoslavia. Zimbabwe. Lebanon. Sudan. Germany (according to Mrs. Merkel herself). Increasingly, France, the UK and Sweden.

By contrast, I can't think of a single multicultural country that's free from ethnic, racial tension. The closest we came to it was America in the 90's and 2000's, but it seems to regressing backwards from that high point.

The only success stories are where the dominant cultures are similar to each other. E.g. Europeans living in other European countries bring basically zero problems, and mostly positives with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Say what? I didn’t bring up any “white man” nonsense, nor did I suggest it was multiculturalism had failed. Like I suggested earlier - you’re choosing to engage in bad faith argument and desperate to frame the argument in your own terms rather than recognise that other people do not share your perspective, and it has nothing to do with the colour of my skin, nor would I suggest you’re wacist for trying to make out as though I give a shìt for the colour of your skin either.

You talk about millennia of tribalism for survival, yet it’s clear even from your use of the term you’ve never had to survive, nor had your survival threatened. As it happens I was watching a documentary last night on mass immigration in the UK in the ‘70’s which culminated in the whole Race Relations Act 1968, and of course Enoch Powell’s infamous speech -

Of course it’s not the least bit strange that with your sloganeering and your willingness to overlook what you characterise as “our own native spongers”, you’ll continue to argue that it’s foreigners are the problem and “we must protect our own”, as if anyone actually believes you wouldn’t throw your own under a bus and all, because that’s all you’re doing with a strategy that promotes division and mistrust. It certainly has never helped anyone, has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Yeah because Europeans never went to war against each other, not a single instance of that. Not one single thing I can remember form history that might fit as conflict between European countries.

Now were did I put my poppy lapel pin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

Robbie, you're actually making the point that multiculturalism can fail even when the cultures are almost identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You blamed "ill conceived social policies", who created these if not the white man, in majority white countries, where multiculturalism is failing??

You are correct in your second paragraph, I am not millennia old. You got at least one thing right. Bravo.

On your third paragraph, I've stated in this thread today, yesterday, and multiple times prior to that, that skilled, educated, legal migration is 100% right, proper and positive for Ireland. Others on here have backed up and reiterated this point today. I have no problem with foreigners. There is nothing we can do about our own native spongers. I do, however, have great issue with international spongers, coming here and pilfering from the tax take while not contributing a single positive to our small country. Unfortunately, we have a political elite who have either no backbone, or perhaps more nefarious reasons, who knows, that refuses to deal with these spongers.

We need a robust, fast-track, no appeals, ICE unit in Ireland and secure holding units in Dublin and Cork airports. Anyone caught here illegally should be locked up and repatriated on the next available flight. No appeal, do not pass GO!, do not collect $200. Meanwhile, those with qualifications we need, and who are willing to move to Ireland should be welcomed. Its that simple.

The key part is that there was a strong dominant culture, and there was no expectation that their customs would be replaced, or need to accommodate other cultural/national groups. Foreigner were outsiders, and while they could be partially accepted, they would continue to be considered foreign.

Times have changed. It's really that simple. There is now the expectation that Western nations should provide for other groups, even to the point of diluting its own culture. There is shame and guilt applied when talking about nationalism, or cultural pride.. . You don't see the same anywhere else in non-western nations though.

The problem is that there are no multicultural societies that are successes in the long term. Oh, over one or two decades, things can be muted, but invariably, those different identities seek rights and recognition of their differences, ultimately driving society towards division. Not unity.. because diversity is our strength. Which is why university professors are afraid of university student diversity groups (mobs), which attack any suggestion of an equal society, where their particular difference (race, gender, etc) doesn't receive attention and sympathy... It's utterly bizarre why people push multiculturalism, and fail to recognize just how fragmented and weak it makes our societies, while reinforcing cultural/racial divisions, and encouraging racism to manifest. Yup..

Indeed Cordell do you think we should all hide under our beds in fear lest our neighbour kill us or the sky fall in?

My post was referring to migration in the 21st Century by Europeans to other European countries. I don't understand your post. If you disagree with my point that it's almost entirely peaceful and positive?

• Advertisement

I would say if you and I walked outside holding hands and looked at the sky together you would disagree with my opinion of what colour it was Wojtek!

PS: right now its blue!

I'm lost. So do you agree or disagree with my point that modern European migration to other European countries is almost entirely positive with very little in the way of social unrest?

I think if we looked at the same sky I'd say "it's blue" and you'd say something like "so you think the sky is only ever blue? That it can never be anything else? Ever heard of clouds? And don't you know the blue colour is only an illusion due to gases in the atmosphere?"

All the usual talking points, or rather the sloganeering you know as well as I do doesn’t change anything, it doesn’t even stem immigration, it certainly doesn’t do anything to address failed social policies, the kind of policies which lead to people being condemned to live in poverty, who you call our native spongers, which you say you can do nothing about. The colour of their skin has nothing to do with point when the vast majority of people affected by these failed social policies are the same colour as the people who engineered them and promote them. That’s the natives btw, as opposed to immigrants. You can’t do anything about immigration policies either.

I don’t think there’s any point in entertaining your daft narratives when nobody, nobody has ever argued any such thing as supporting immigrants to commit fraud. What we actually have is a bureaucratic mess as a result of generations of failed social policies which have led to our current circumstances in Ireland at least where we’re simply unable to cope with the numbers of immigrants coming into the country.

That’s not a consequence of multiculturalism, it’s a consequence of failed social policies which govern a society and direct a society. What we have here is nothing more than simply history repeating itself and people looking for a scapegoat.

Well you would be wrong there I might point out it is due to an effect called Rayleigh scattering though.

Yes I think we can all agree that most of the European open borders and movement of people of the 21st century has been relatively peaceful. Has this got more to do with European governments cooperation and willingness to work together to achieve common goals and less to do with those individual peoples religion and the colour of their skin yes I would think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bewareofthedog

I seen some posters still trotting the line about what are the negatives. Here's a couple of examples from some major EU countries.

mi5 believe there's 43000 potential jihadi attackers now living in the UK.

In Denmark integration has failed so badly the Government now force these parallel communities into integration classes, refusing to do so results in their benefits being cut.

Sweden has many problems like being forced to have women only attendees for its largest music festival due to sexual assaults, but the rise in gang violence over there is there all for to see. A few years back they didn't track grenade attacks because it was a non issue, now there's hundreds every year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50339977

"It's very new in Sweden, and we are looking for knowledge around the world," says Mats Lovning, head of the National Operations Department.

For criminologist Amir Rostami, who has researched the use of hand grenades in Sweden, the only relevant comparison is Mexico, plagued by gang violence.

"This is unique in countries that pretty much don't have a war or don't have a long history of terrorism," he says."

France had to ban any public showings of their world cup games in 2018 due to the fear of terrorism.

""I call the attention of elected representatives to the fact that fan zones with large screens cannot be organised in open public space,” said Gerard Collomb, France’s interior minister.

"In the context of the current terrorist threat, the requirements that prevailed during the European football championships [in 2016] will again have to be applied.”

We can talk about Molenbeek in Belgium or the New year's eves rapes in Germany that were tried to be covered up but the biggest problem of all is the tension all these problems bring.

Far right groups and more and more right wing or populist governments have been rising in power over the last decade or so and imo that is a pure symptom of a bigger problem, which is an absolute failure across the board of integration and assimilation of migrants who came from places with incompatible values. The man on the street can see it even here in Ireland, so not sure why certain posters can't.

I'd say if you posted this on Facebook you would be flagged by a fact checker and have your account locked.

For each point I posted a link from the times, time.com, bbc and euronews backing up the claim. I think it's you, or perhaps your worldview unwilling to accept valid counter arguments, that has the problem, not me.

backing up the claim. 😋

Just from the bbc link alone

"If you're anti-immigration it's so easy to angle everything as just 'oh it's the immigrants' fault', but the problem goes way beyond that."

Malin Bradshaw

"But Ms Straaf says it is "not correct" to suggest new arrivals are typically involved in gang networks."

"Police say the criminals involved are part of the same gangs behind an increase in gun crime, often connected to the drugs trade."

"Amir Rostami says ethnicity rarely plays a big role in gang membership in Sweden. "When I interview gang members... the gang is their new country. The gang is their new identity."

"The problem is that Sweden is used symbolically as proof of problems with immigration, proof of problems with leftist policies - unfairly in many cases," he argues.

"I am not afraid for where I live. I am more concerned when it comes to developments in Sweden nationally."

Now if only Sweden would release crime statistics based on ethnicity so there wouldn't be any ambiguity. I wonder why they changed that a few years back.

If I have to spell it out for you

https://www.ft.com/content/8cfa6212-4270-4962-a200-949a868c7cbe

Sweden’s democracy could be threatened if the country fails to get a grip on gang violence and allows parallel societies to develop in its inner-city areas, the head of Sweden’s police force has warned. Anders Thornberg told the Financial Times that Sweden faced a growing threat as incidents of shootings and bombings between rival gangs rise and family-based clans tighten their grip over some areas.

“If we don’t talk about this, then it could be a big problem. It’s not a threat to our democracy yet. But if you have certain groups standing outside of society, we will have a huge problem,” he said. Sweden has suffered a wave of shootings, hand grenade attacks and bombings in recent years, particularly in the immigrant-dominated suburbs of Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmo, its largest cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

AH FFS don't you know you have to use the Guardian, Irish Times, RTE or the likes of the Journal to back up your facts.

In other words anything not populated by those following the narrative that native = bad, christian = pedo, conservative = nazi, white = pro slavery, male = anti woman, single white male = rapist, straight = transphobic.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

Do you reckon there’s any room for negotiation between those extreme characterisations? 😁

There is nobody in Ireland “condemned to poverty” for a start. I gave up reading after that. I presume the rest was more of the same nonsense, that’s it’s actually our fault that certain cultures don’t integrate. Our fault that young black guys see themselves as “road men” and “yung thugs” etc. Give up the oul self flagellation. I presume you’re Irish, not British or American, we’ve no hangover of colonial times to have “white guilt” for. We’ve no need to give reparations.

There are people condemned to live in poverty, the spongers who you say you can do nothing about, and yet here you are coming up with ideas as to how immigration policies should function according to you, but don’t, because there’s ne’er a native politician supports your ideas.

I didn’t suggest it was anyone’s fault that anyone from other cultures don’t integrate into what, the society that you imagine exists? It’s not self-flagellation to point out that immigrants aren’t responsible for social policies engineered by the natives before immigrants were even a thing in Ireland, and I don’t see anyone demanding reparations. I’m only suggesting we don’t have to be cnuts about it either is all, as that doesn’t help or support anyone or foster good relations between different groups in Irish society.

By your own standards, I’m guessing you’re also not British or American so you don’t have to portray yourself as though you’re a victim of their failed social policies either.

immigration should be held to the same standards as any other policy. Does this benefit (existing) society, does it have destabilising influences, is there a security threat, does it benefit the country economically, and if it does are all benefits shared equally.

It doesn’t make any sense to hold all policies to the same standard, no more than it’s realistic to expect that immigration policies should be determined by your standards, and the standards you list above are albeit granted a shortlist of your own standards.

I’m willing to give you the benefit of the doubt at least that you’re trying to give a broader context to the criteria for determining social policies, but you don’t appear to include recognition of our international human rights obligations, or our aspirations for future generations of Irish society.

I think the first obstacle you’ll face is that all opportunities must be equal before all responsibility can be shared equally, before all benefits can be shared equally. You’ll have no end of people complaining that policies are unfair to them or are discriminatory, etc - Dog in a manger type politics.

Irish Spongers choose to be spongers, same as welfare tourists. It’s not some “trap” as you put it. I’m from a rough council estate where staying in school past the Junior Cert wasn’t the norm. I wasn’t “trapped”. I could have, and sometimes in a fit of pique wonder if I should have, decided to be a wastrel for the rest of my life. I could be sitting in my council house right now, joint in hand, on a different thread talking about how the government abandoned me.

Instead, I got a good Leaving, got a grant for college from our government, and have had decent jobs since. And I’m no special case, hundreds of thousands of others have also done it.

Now my junkie, scumbag brother, he’d love your tall tales about poverty traps etc. so that he could have someone other than himself to blame for the **** choices he made. People like him lap that sh*t up. The professional victims, always someone else’s fault.

We should 100% not be importing or supporting people arriving here with that same attitude, and we have plenty because our “poverty trap” is so fcuking generous!!

Your personal anecdote means the sweet sum of fcukall when determining social policies, you must surely be aware of that? It also means nothing in a discussion about social policies which affect approx 7m people (and growing).

You’re also no doubt aware of the fact that it’s the same narrative-pushing “pulled themselves up by their bootstraps, you should try it some time” types who are elected to represent the national interest, and not just the interests of the natives, are the same natives who are pretty much dumping on you from a height, never mind the fact they don’t care about your vision for society.

You’re exactly where they want you, unable to see past your own brother being a drain on society while the respectable native politicians are engineering policies which are successful for themselves, absolute failures in terms of the nation’s interests.

Yeah if only there was some mechanism where by the majority could show their dissatisfaction with governments policies.

Like I don't know some sort of election held maybe every five years at a maximum. So if the public where unhappy with government policy they could choose others who represent their views.

Which political party do you think your views most closely align with?

Well I would have thought that my views align with all parties. The opposite view would be that immigration should not benefit (existing) society, should have a destabilising influence, should be a security threat, should not benefit the country economically, and the benefits if any should be shared unequally across society.

Is that your considered view? Is that, do you think, the views of most parties.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

So would you say your views align with sinn féin, labour, Fianna Fáil or Fianna gael policy on immigration?

Advertisement