Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

Bizarre episode. I would have made this a loaded show with people tuning in for the first time for Punk and getting them to tune in again. But you get a Gunn club Vs Factory match and a Black Vs Brock Anderson squash match as the main event! They have an amazing roster to choose from and so many of them not used. I don't know what they were thinking tbh.

I know they know that Punk's return to in ring action at All out will sell the PPV but I don't think it's a great card so far. 2 rematches, Paul White Vs QT and I know they thought they had Tanahashi lined up for Moxley so probably scrambled a bit but no excitement really for MOX vs Kojima. Looking forward to Pac Vs Andrade though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭hynesie08

@[Deleted User] Bizarre episode. I would have made this a loaded show with people tuning in for the first time for Punk and getting them to tune in again.

I see your reasoning, but if you give them a loaded show, you know what they expect next week? An even more loaded show....

This show wasn't great, but if you've never watched aew and tuned in for punk, you know who's who, who they're fighting at the ppv and in most cases why.

Omega/Christian, Jericho/mjf, Britt, the tag title match, all the main all out matches got spotlights, while setting up the next few weeks of dynamite.

The execution wasn't perfect, but I'd prefer it to spunking away 6 weeks of main events to try and ride a wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Apparently that was the 100th episode of Dynamite. So you got Punk debuting on Dynamite, the 100th episode of your TV show and a PPV in two weeks and you put on that slop? Why?

Also, the Black Mass is supposed to a be lethal finisher but 62 year old Arn Anderson can stand there and put a forearm up and not budge. Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, that was the worst episode of Dynamite in a long while, and makes it even worse is that you'd have a lot of likely first time people tuning in.

Like, OC - Hardy was grand, tag match was good, Punk's promo was good, Hayter looked good (and Velvet looked sloppy), and then the second half was a drag. Mox, Darby and Kingston are all individually good but The Wingmen are not, and the match was a bit messy. QT/Nightmare Factory stuff vs Gunn Club can just go away, that's a Dark match, not here, and Black vs Anderson squash match as a main event is weird. Should have Dante Martin vs anyone instead of the Marshall stuff (hell if you need to put in the Marshall stuff, have him face Solo and you can still have Marshall and Big Show look at each other) and give him 10 minutes to fly, and 3 better opponents for Mox, Kingston and Darby so that you can put that as the main event, or else just Darby vs one person and have Punk on commentary to help put Darby over even more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Disappointing show in the end, I was full sure there's be more to it. Also think it's quite strange to not have Punk not come out after Darbys match and have some kind of interaction between them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

A very meh episode and it's quite disappointing

I don't understand why they booked these matches as this probably some new fans watching tonight and I wouldnt blame them for not coming back next week

Only upside was CM Punk

Also I **** hate if I loose I retire matches

It automatically for me means Jericho wins but god I hope I'm wrong

I went overboard by saying loaded card as if a PPV level card was needed. I just meant have a few more stars on and not stuff that should be on Dark. That Gunn club Vs Factory match should have been done on Dark Elevation because Wight is on commentary there anyway to further the story. At least have a good main event on the card. Even Darby/Mox/Kingston against anyone other than a Dark jobber team (wingmen) could have main evented and a Darby Punk stare down to close the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I suppose the reason for having QT on Dynamite is due to the match being on All Out. Don't want it staying on Dark. Unless they had it on the preshow

I do see Jericho losing and moving to the commentary booth for a long while and as is was it was specified he would not wrestle in an AEW ring again so he could wrestle in other promotions since that door is open and in a year if they/he wanted back in an AEW ring MJF could get pissed off with his commentary and challenge him again.

Reading here and a lot of places online i think a lot of fans expect a PPV level card every week Dynamite which really is a bit to much to expect that was an ok weeks tv show that was more about the promos this week than the in ring. That FTR promo was brilliant. You think you know me cracked me up from Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,684 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wasn't a great show, but one thing it did have was a recognisable former WWE face in just about every piece of it, bar the Hayter/Velvet fight. Maybe that was part of the goal to ease some new fans in with some stuff they can immediately connect with, even if some of the matches themselves weren't great?

You can come up with something better than a jobber team fighting a jobber team though. Marshall didn't even need to wrestle there, it could have been Solo or Comoroto by themselves and Marshall on the outside. Someone like Dante Martin, Lance Archer, Cage etc Vs Solo/Comoroto and you still have the Marshall/Big Show angle there but you get your higher level guys on the show.

Black Vs Anderson was fine as long as it wasn't a main event (although Arn blocking the black mass was stupid). Should have switched that and done a better match with Mox,Kingston,Darby in the main. Either a trios match with better opponents or just do Darby vs someone better (Darby Vs Dante Martin in particular would be ridiculous) and have Punk on commentary to put over Darby even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Shocking booking for the first dynamite with cm punk.

The gunn club says it all. Lazy booking. Too many jabronis on one episode.

Jericho and mjf should of closed the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jericho and MJF is dead as disco. They've had Stadium Stampede, Blood & Guts and the Labour of Jericho.

Three big blow-off matches and they're still going to the well on this. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

I'm sorry but anyone defending that show as the best way for them to capitalise on the momentum of Punk's debut is ridiculous.

No one is saying this needed to be PPV quality but this was an absolute fumble after spiking the ball last week. I think AEW has an issue with drawing the line with talent, some people belong on Dark for now. I know they want to give everyone an opportunity and not be accused of keeping people down but I think they need to manage that better.

Orange Cassidy vs Matt Hardy is hardly a way to get people invested in the programme to start off with. As much as some of the schtick was good, crossbody was unfortunate. Tag match was decent and Lucha Bros and Jurassic Express should be outstanding. In fact it would have been so good, you probably should have started the tournament a week earlier and had that on this show. I know they want to make Rampage a big deal but still.

Red Velvet/Jamie Hayter. Yikes, just not a great match. Red Velvet nearly creamed herself and was just sloppy aside from that. Hayter looked decent but the match was a mess. Nightmare Factory/Gunn Club is barely Dark worthy, what an absolute snore and in the year of our lord 2021, they had Big Show shouting all the way from commentary be the distraction for a finish. Horrendous.

Didn't like the Malakai black segment for a few reasons. Firstly, this was hardly main event worthy. Secondly, shocked Brock got that much offense. Thirdly, Arn Anderson blocking the Black Mass deosn't sit right with me. Finally, I don't know why a Lee Johnson run-in was given any reverence. Black should have murdered him too.

I think the general running order for the show was off in general, if they had moved things around it would have been less noticeable but the show really fell off a cliff quick this week IMO. The promo segments were okay, Punk's Bryan tease was great but hoping they do something to spice the feud up next week. We've had our moments to revel in his return, now give us a reminder of why we missed him in the first place. I did like the Elite/Christian segments, Callis is amazing and Cutler spraying his suit made me burst out laughing, intentional or not. I really hope the FTR stuff isn't as dire as it looks. Be a shame if they had to step-away. I think the Lambert promos are kinda cringe personally, just a really obvious way of getting heat, I'm not worked by it, I'm just indifferent to it. Also Moxley's opponent being Kojima is really underwhelming, would love if it was a swerve but it kinda feels like the 'Forbidden Door' rarely delivers something spectacular as far as talent showing up in AEW, at least in my opinion. Jericho and MJF needs to end already, as far as the stipulation. I don't think Jericho loses but even if he does, I doubt it would be his last match so that stipulation feels pointless to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Two major errors last night were (1) putting Allin in a six man along with two big names (Mox and Kingston) and (2) the main event, which in my opinion should have been Luchas vs Varsity.

Straight after the CM Punk promo, they needed to establish who Allin was to the new viewers, and why he is so special. Either a quick squash match, or a traditional tag match where he makes the comeback and gets the win. Key idea: all eyes on him, and only him. Instead, he was totally lost in that trios match with two other major personalities, and if I remember correctly, the camera didn't even catch him hitting the finish.

That Black/Anderson segment was fine for the middle of the show, but a baffling segment for the close. As I said above, I would have put the tag-team qualifier on instead, primarily because the winners are main-eventing the next Rampage, so the aftermath staredown would have been a logical cliffhanger to close the show. Also, by keeping the Lucha Bros until last, you allow Allin to be the first person on the show to make impact with high-flying offense, again, helping him stand out to new viewers.

Punk got me back interested after largely giving up on AEW. I really hope his influence back stage will extend to the overall booking and formatting of shows, because clearly they still have a lot to learn in this regard.

They couldn't have kept Lucha Bros Varsity Blondes to the end. Rampage was being taped directly after so Lucha Bros were doubling up. Had to be at the start cos of that. It was the only match there that was an actual main event worthy match but wasnt really possible. That second hour just needed to be a different card. You can still have the same story beats (QT - Big Show, Black, Darby) but Black needed to be earlier and the others just needed to be different with better opponents. You can't have that many low card guys on any show never mind the one that likely has the most casual viewers they've had in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Very much a well below par Dynamite as everyone has said, particularly the second half. The first trio's match felt pointless and a waste of Kingston, Mox & Darby, and the second trio's match had no business being on Dynamite. Just too much lower level talent on the one show, which is madness when you see the roster they have. Black is a killer, but that match and afters had no business being the main event. Hopefully this show was just a rare mis-step and not the start of standards slipping as Rampage is added to the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

??

They could easily have worked the main event of Dynamite and came back half hour later to main event Rampage. Wrestlers have been doing multiple matches across a night forever, often back to back.

Anyway, I thought the episode was ok. I enjoy Dynamite every week because the context and energy feel right, but as others have said, this wasn't much. I have voiced this concern before but there is just too much talent at times. I can barely pick Garcia or Brock Anderson out of a lineup but they are in big spots. It's just too much. Roster is really bloated.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't realise the tag final was on Rampage. Why not save it until next week's Dynamite? Okay, it gives them a week to build the match, but could have the Bucks attack after the match then have any promos on Rampage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I get that Kojima isn't the biggest name to people not familiar with Puroresu but some of the reactions I've seen online to the announcement seem a bit ignorant really, the man held the IWGP Heavyweight championship and the AJPW Triple Crown at the same time. Don't sleep on Bread Club! Loved Sean Waltman's reply in that tweet, I'm looking forward to him and Mox at All Out.

I think it would have been a cool surprise and received better if he hadn't just been in Impact a few weeks ago which included losing to Joe Doering.

I see Wednesday’s live edition of AEW Dynamite reportedly drew 1.172 million viewers on TNT, according to Showbuzz Daily

Makes it worse that they put on a show like that.

AEW isnt perfect, they can have bad show every so often but they knew eyes were going to be on this Dynamite show and they really put out a lackluster show where they should've went all out and show the curious fans just tuning into see Punk that they've got unreal wrestlers to see as well each week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

It was ok but I agree it wasnt the follow up they needed after last weeks buzz.

Tag eliminator match was really good and I enjoyed Matt Hardy v OC way more than I should have. But the structure of the show was off.

I certainly dont wanna see MJF and Jericho again. I hope they at least throw a gimmick stip into it.

Womens match didnt land for me and Brock v Black shouldnt have went on last.

Darby and Punk needed a confrontation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If AEW does sign Adam Cole they need to sign Wyatt so he resurrect him from the dead on BTE after killing him off on it four years ago and bring him in as a member of The Super Elite to begin with.

Cole talking on his Twitch saying it's not going anywhere.

Dave is reporting that changes were made to Dynamite due to two wrestlers testing positive with Covid and those changes were made to the show on shortly before the show went live.

Also Gangrel is saying he was also due to guest appear on Dynamite however that was nixed when Edge came out at Summerslam using the Brood gimmick again.

Dave is reporting that both Dark's maybe moving to Universal Studios in Orlando for taping in front of a studio audience.

TNA was filmed there at one time.

Rampage when taped will continue to be taped after Dynamite

Read that a covid 19 outbreak with talent effected Punks dynamite debut and the card was to me more stacked i guess this is something we will have to get used to going forward for a while till it is fully under control i also guess that won't stop some fans from complaining.

• Advertisement

Advertisement