Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deathloop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Being perfectly honest, it's main mechanic is one that I'd personally find frustrating and as such have no interest in the game.

That being said, because it is coming to game pass, I'll probably give it a try and if I like it that's a bonus in my mind. Pity about the long wait though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There are lots of hands on previews published today. I've only been scanning them as I want to go in knowing as little as possible, but impressions sound very positive.

saw this impression on Era

"So far the only major issue I've faced has to do with how Deathloop handles saves. Colt uses a series of tunnels to get from location to location, and these serve as a kind of safe house where you can check over your gear, plot your next move, and save the game. Once you leave the tunnels, you'll go to a new district and time will move forward. But out in the world, you can't save at all, which can be frustrating when you're following leads that are complex with lots of moving parts that can take a while to finish. It's especially frustrating given that Deathloop is launching on the PS5, which doesn't have a quick resume feature. I've mostly been putting my console in rest mode mid-mission and crossing my fingers that it doesn't decide to turn itself off (which has happened in the past). It's an annoying design decision in a game that otherwise feels very thoughtful, and it's reminiscent of the controversy around another big PS5 game, the sci-fi shooter Returnal."

NOT AGAIN. Shakes fist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭The Phantom Pain

Alanah Pearce did a mini Q&A. Basic takeaways:

• Combat is not too difficult but the difficulty lies in figuring out how to take out the targets in one loop.
    • Gunplay is much improved from Dishonoured (that's a given iMO seeing as it's set in the 60s).
    • Says you will have to kill people; a non lethal playthrough is not possible.
    • Stealth is totally viable and there are times where it's mandatory as being detected will lock you out of vital information that can help with the loop.
    • Says it has great lore and world building.
    • Says the (objective) negatives are performance issues and the occasional bug.

So basically, it's an Arkane Studios game lol. Hoping the bugs will be patched before day 1 but I will watch a few reviews first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Cordell

She was praising Cyberpunk 2077 before launch so I would be very careful making a decision based on what she says.

Good thing Cyberpunk is a good game then! Yes, there are people like myself who enjoy Cyberpunk although recognise its flaws.

Also, the operative phrase being 'before launch'. Being positive and excited for a game from a developer who, at that point, had put out consistently praised games is fair, and seeing as she was in the game she had every right to be hyped about it. Also, just because Cyberpunk did not meet expectations does not mean we should stop being excited for new games. The moment I stop being enthusiastic for games is the moment I stop playing them.

I also wouldn't make my decision on one review, obviously.

It was the bait and switch side of things that really got me angry with Cyberpunk and with the reviewers that went for it, not that it wasn't good, but that's past now :)

I get it because that's always a concern with timeloops. However, this is something that a lot of content creators have assured won't be a problem as they make it clear it's not a rogue lite or like, and the idea is that each run you're more powerful than the last and able to tackle certain boss faster making you feel like a badass. Gamespot describes it as a game that teaches you how to speedrun it because after each death you have more knowledge of how the level works which enables you to take advantage of shortcuts. You also get three lives before the loop resets and there's a mechanic that allows you to keep weapons and powers previously obtained. I also like the idea that you can farm bosses to upgrade your powers as each boss drops an ability and every time you kill them you upgrade that ability.

Gamespot seem to love what they've played so far:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Thanks for taking the time to explain that.

I'll have to admit, I'm a bit more interested now, but I'll wait and see how it plays.

Something about death being both the reward for passing and the punishment for failure is not really how I picture playing a game.

At the same time, I'll fully admit that I might be wrong about this and will try make a better decision from playthroughs as they become available 😊

Nice. Should be a smooth experience. 😎

So, I know I said I wouldn't pre-order this game but hype got the best of me and it's currently installing the disk as I type... 👀

Was delighted when it arrived early in the post this morning. The screensaver look awesome; I wish I could make it permanent. Good score music as well. I suspect I'll be playing the version the journos are playing right now (i.e. pre day 1 patch) so of course I'll be more forgiving of any technical issues.

The pre-order disc came with some cool looking Deathloop badges that you can iron on to your clothes as well. 

Waiting until reviews come out before preordering. Was the preorder dlc an actual download or was it already in the game. Stuck between buying from my main account or US PSN which is bit cheaper

• Advertisement

Very jealous. Want to play on PC but my main rig is currently out of action, so I'll be waiting. 😥

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

@EoinMcLovin I got the disc version so had to redeem the code via the PS store. Once I did, all DLC content automatically appeared in the game when I booted it up. However, you can't access Colt's outfit until after The Longest Day is finished (opening quest line). 

@Sephiroth_dude . Boss Deals on ebay.

First impressions: (no spoilers whatsoever! You're safe)

I am really looking forward to seeing player reactions to Deathloop because the conversations around this game are going to be wild! 🤣 I am willing to bet that some people (like me) will absolutely love it and totally eat up what it's serving, and - I can't believe I'm saying this - some people, even Dishonoured fans, are gonna absolutely hate it. Not "dislike" it, hate it. I’m having a blast and I can’t wait to play more later on today, but I have to caution that this is a true “gamer’s game”. As in, it’s not for casual players looking to turn their brains off after a day of work, and it’s certainly not for the impatient.

It’s very, very, very complex. In fact, the previews undersold just how complex it is. I’ve read some comments from other early players and the general consensus is “difficult but fun”. Personally, it’s too early to comment on ‘difficulty’ per se because I’m still in the "gathering clues/discovering new systems/working out where everything & everyone is" stage… after 6 hours. Now, tbf I tend to take the piss in these types of games; it's a curse of being a completionist. Even so, the game has only just stopped giving me tutorials every 2 minutes but I suspect there's still more to come! That’s not an exaggeration at all - the first few hours is tutorial after tutorial after tutorial because there’s just so much to learn that it literally needs to teach you how to play the game for that long. But trust me, it does eventually click.

In previews the journos said the complexity is in figuring out how to kill the 8 visionaries (main targets) in a single loop and that is correct. However, that’s getting waaaay ahead of ourselves because what they don't mention is that it will take you a long time before you can even get to a point where you’re planning how to kill them all at once. What I mean is, you need to kill them individually first in order to get the best abilities (and trinkets and weapons) as well as finding all the necessary clues before approaching the bigger picture, but you also need to acquire enough information just to get those clues! In other words, the puzzle obviously won’t make sense without all the pieces but acquiring all those individual pieces is a puzzle in itself. So far I haven’t even intentionally reset a loop to try something out - that’s still a long way out. I’m just trying to build my arsenal and gather as much information about my targets as possible. 

Here’s what I’m enjoying so far:

•  Love exploring the world i.e. finding audio logs and journals, eavesdropping on conversations that give you clues about your “lead” (more on “leads” later).      
    •  Love the looter shooter/RPG elements (more on that later).
    • Loving the whole sixties vibe. The music is fire (the theme tune is so catchy). The fashion is fire. The general aesthetic is fire. This tonally makes it feel so different from Dishonoured.
    • Love guessing the mystery behind the loop , why it’s happening and, most importantly, why Colt wants to stop it. 
    • Loving the risk/reward nature when choosing my battles.
    • Loving the open gunplay even more than the stealth, though you have to be smart about when to openly engage (more on that later).
    •  I’m also really enjoying the banter between Julianna and Colt – although I suspect this where even those who enjoy Deathloop will be divided. (I suspect blokes will really hate Julianna lol). Their banter is what keeps the beginning section on the beach – which you will see at the beginning of every loop - fresh. I was worried they were gonna make Colt a cheesy “smooth brotha” but he’s actually more dorky and humorous than the trailers would have you believe. There's some other stuff related to Colt and Julianna that the trailers don't show so I won't spoil.

However, what I love the most is that after the initial tutorial quest (titled 'The Longest Day') is done, it no longer feels like there's a main quest with a bunch of side missions. Rather, it feels like everything you’re doing is part of one ginormous quest line that you have to occasionally isolate and prioritise in parts to learn more. Remember those ridiculous, hyperbolic rumours about RDR2 having main and side missions that are indistinguishable from one another that turned out to be bull because the main and side missions were clearly marked on the map? Well Deathloop actually lives up to those rumours. You technically don’t know what the main mission is because in order to know what the main mission is you have to formulate it yourself by acquiring enough information. You don’t even know if you have all the information! All you have are 'leads'. And ‘arsenal leads’. And ‘discoveries’. And you’ll be flicking back and forth between these tabs in the menu constantly. 'Discoveries' are what inform your 'leads' - they are what will help you accomplish your tasks efficiently and, further down the line, teach you how to take out each visionary before the day resets. In short, what you make the "main mission" is going to change with each discovery you make. 

I think those expecting this to be like Dishonoured are gonna be quite surprised to start with. It does the classic Arkane thing of pausing your game to tell you to “play your way” but you can’t play your way; it’s not possible. Yet. Emily and Corvo were badass magical ninjas from the word go. Colt is ill equipped, outnumbered and outmatched. You will eventually get to "play your way" but you have to put the work in first. You have to earn the right to play it like Dishonoured.

There isn't a difficulty option which I’m glad for because the difficulty in this is perfect. I hope Arkane don’t buckle to the inevitable complaints to add options because while the enemy A.I. is dumb as rocks ( no peripheral vision, lose you within seconds of going around corner, never venture far enough in their search etc etc) you cannot go in guns blazing. If you find yourself surrounded and spotted you don't stand a chance unless you run and hide. You lose a lot of health very quickly and the enemy accuracy is on point. Oh, and your weapons can jam mid fight in which you have to unjam them. Also, while the stealth A.I. is beyond stupid at first it’s adaptive, i.e. it’s supposed to get more aggressive with every loop so it’s highly likely you’ll have to get more creative with takedowns as you go. I can already feel that enemies are more alert and lethal than they were during the tutorial opening.

A little death here and there isn’t necessarily the end of the world though. Through the reprise “slab” you’re allowed to die twice but if you die a third time the loop resets and all non-infused gear is lost. At first I thought, "hmm, this reprise ability makes it too easy" but that was before the game gave me something to lose – more specifically, residuum to lose. Each time you die you drop all your residuum and have to go back to the place of your death to grab it (which, thankfully, will be marked on screen). Upon your third death you will lose all residuum and cannot retrieve it. Residuum is the most invaluable resource in the game because you need it to infuse. Infusing abilities, trinkets and weapons allows you to keep them forever, even beyond loops. Also, residuum doesn’t carry between loops so you won’t be able to hoard. In fact, that’s another thing I love about Deathloop: You learn not to get attached to anything you pick up. Your weapon capacity is limited so you have to make choices, might as well experiment when you can. You can even sacrifice weapons, abilities and trinkets for residuum and use it to infuse something else.

I’ve only had two loop reset deaths and both times I lost reprise lives over something silly like drowning or fall damage because I was trying to play it like a Dishonoured no magic run. (Again, this is not Dishonoured to begin with so don't try to play it that way.) However, both times that I died it took me mere minutes before I was back to where I needed to be - I knew exactly what to do, where to go and I was sharper and faster having studied the route and enemy placements. I also never ended a loop without acquiring useful information to help me next time. So I would say for those worried about the rogue-lite element you need not be.

Death isn’t the only thing that resets the loop, time does. For instance, when A.I. Julianna invaded my game I killed her and got the shift ability (Dishonoured's blink)… and then lost it immediately because it was midnight and that’s when the loop resets. To be clear, missions are not time limited. Once you’re in a district you can spend as much time as you like there but you can only visit districts up to four times a day, each corresponding with the four time periods (morning, afternoon, evening, night). It can be the same district or a different one but once you leave an area time advances to the next period and you can’t go back to an earlier time period. If you want to visit a district even later in the day you can do so by manually advancing time. If you advance to the next morning the loop resets. All discoveries and leads have a nice visual QOL feature that tells you what time period you can exploit them in so you won’t have to remember.

I mentioned that I liked the looter shooter/RPG elements. Firstly, Bethesda really wants to get Arkane into the multiplayer biz. Like, desperately so. Each time you exit a district you go into a “safehouse screen” which logs you into Bethesda’s servers and shows you a summary of weapons, trinkets and abilities you found. In the background Colt can be seen celebrating his survival (or taking the L about his failure) of the district. It’s also where you can customise your outfits (which you win by completing a successful Julianna invasion) If during your run you’ve beaten or been defeated by Julianna, you’ll see both Colt and Julianna in the background roasting each other. Think of the Call of Duty or SW: Battlefront player emotes after a match is won, for instance. I do get a kick out of the summary screen each time, especially because it’s aided by an uptempo version of the awesome score music. (Btw you can’t play as Julianna until you’ve broken the loop which means if I set invasion to ‘online’ it’s highly likely at this early stage that I will be invaded by a developer. The director has already mentioned that he’s been invading players’ games so I’m looking forward to that.)

Also, every weapon (and trinket and ability) has a common, rare, epic colour scheme version of it. The higher the grade of the weapon the more trinkets you can equip on them, and the best weapons need to be found in hidden places or looted off visionaries so far. I have to admit I really dig this looter shooter approach to the weapon system because it’s a pleasant surprise when you find a truly powerful one (which is rare). It also raises the stakes, as you need enough residuum before the loop resets (the better the item the more needed) and you need to make it back to your safe house unscathed in order to infuse the weapon.

Early game tips:

• Do not try to explore every nook and cranny to begin with, as that’s a waste of time. Prioritise your leads first and let them take you down the rabbit hole. You’re gonna see notes and clues about little things in the area which you will be tempted to seek out right away but there’s no point. You’ll end up naturally uncovering the island’s secrets anyway once you gain more abilities.
    • As soon as you’re able to infuse, stock up on that residuum and do so. Gather as many abilities (and weapons and trinkets) as you can and infuse the hell out of them so you can keep them for future loops.
    • Prioritise infusing abilities and trinkets over weapons. Weapons drop all over the place; your favourite ones are likely one neck snap around the corner. Plus so far it’s only the visionaries that have the best ones. I suspect that the adaptive difficulty will result in enemies carrying more powerful weapons down the line but we’ll see. You can scan enemies from a distance to find out what type of weapon they’re carrying and their playstyle.
    • Even to get to the point where you can infuse a weapon you need to kill a visionary first and that visionary is not a cakewalk by any means. If you die when doing this, as I did the first time I approached her (them?), the game is going to suggest getting abilities first, specifically ‘shift’. Don't do this. It's a waste of time because you need to go through another visionary to get it and he’s not a cakewalk either.
    • Julianna drops a random ability so if you’re skilled enough (and lucky enough) it could potentially save you having to find the visionary with the one you need.

Finally, it’s running incredibly well so far. I’ve only had one crash and that was very early on at a safehouse screen, but because it saves every time you exit a district) no progress was lost. There’s so much I haven’t mentioned, particularly something in the story that the plethora of trailers has not shown but I won’t spoil. Some of you are in for a real treat. 

TL;DR: If you think this post is information overload just wait until you play the game lol.

Post edited by The Phantom Pain on

Damnit Phantom Pain, that was a great read. Sold me on it even more, tbf.

• Advertisement

I might even have to break my rule of getting first person games on PC, and get this on PS5 instead. 🤔

Reviews should be going out at 1pm today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Eurogamer Essential.

The Sixth Axis 10/10

IGN 10/10

Gamestop 10/10

Push Square 8/10

Playstation Universe 10/10

Destructoid 9/10

GameInformer 9/10

Currently a 90 on Metacritic based on 40 reviews.

Wow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Guess I’m getting embroiled in a loop of death this week going by those ecstatic reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭recyclops

thats thrown a spanner in the buy now or wait for it for free on gamepass decision

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Visually it looks very underwhelming or is that just me?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eurogamer review has me more than sold. Thank god it's on pc or I might even consider a ps5.

Unsurprisingly, the critic reviews are glowing. I'm hoping that this is finally the game that places Arkane as a serious contender. They've been hidden away too long.

btw there's an unnecessary spoiler at the end of the Eurogamer review so fair warning before reading.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don’t think Arkane have been hidden away at all - they’ve been making critically acclaimed, cult favourite games for a decade now. They’ve sold alright too. But really they’re just making an unfashionable type of game - deep, complex emergent sims when the mainstream games market has shifted towards simplicity. Hell, the emergent shooter has always been something of a niche well before Arkane blinked onto the scene.

Like Double Fine, though, you’d hope Microsoft money lets them do their thing without quite so much focus on traditional sales metrics.

• Advertisement

"blinked onto the scene" I see what you did there. 😉

Of course, I'm aware Arkane has always had a cult following but what I meant by "hidden away" is that I want them to go "bigger" with general audiences. I've seen so many people this year saying they've only just discovered the gems that are Dishonoured 2 and Prey due to gamepass. Sales wise,  Dishonoured 2 and Prey performed "below expectations" hence why they were put on ice. Arkane games are very difficult to market (although in the case of Prey Bethesda deliberately mislead people) and I can see why. 

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The game seems to be tracking an insane amount of variables. I'd trade visual niceties for a game that's doing something actually interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭KilOit

Love the art style and whole look of it. you stop seeing Doom level of graphics after 20 mins so what you are left with is good gameplay and story

The music when Julianna invades.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea I get that, I guess I am just surprised at how average it looks visually.

Arkane games have always prioritised distinctive art design over graphical horsepower, and thank god they have as far as I’m concerned. Makes for much more striking and unique looking games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think (and hope) that regardless of art design/direction, the beauty of the game will shine through in the little details and population of the world. Stuff that makes you stop and appreciate the little touches.

Wasn't that interested in the game and barely paid attention to most of the many, many trailers. Never even played either of the Dishonoured games. But the reviews for this has made me decide to go for it. Looking forward to really cracking in over the weekend.

Beat the game and broke the loop. Absolutely phenomenal. The final loop was nerve wracking because I had taken for granted that it didn't matter if I died so long as I found a piece of the puzzle. Putting the finalised plan in action was a different matter and Julianna invaded me in the hardest level too lol. Looking forward to getting the platinum trophy. There are so many ways to kill a visionary and having studied each map thoroughly it's gonna be really fun.

Now tied with Subnautica and True Colours for my GOTY. What a great time to be a gamer. 😊

• Advertisement

I can't wait to see this game speedrun.

I'd be very interested to see a speedrun because it's going to be very difficult, if not, impossible.

btw Bethesda made this cool little Fallout 76 perk card to celebrate the release of Deathloop:

Digital Foundry early analysis here, and they highly recommend Performance mode over the two others on PS5: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-deathloop-ps5-graphics-modes-compared-which-is-the-best-way-to-play

Apparently quite a heavy game so some reports of performance struggles on PC. But would it truly be an Arkane game without performance struggles? :)

I'm sure the presence of Denuvo isn't helping.

I really don't get why the industry is still using this kind of invasive DRM when it was proven times and times again (and a few times embarrassingly so) that it doesn't stop piracy and it only makes things worse for the honest gamer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I played about an hour so far on PS5, and in a menu to add trinkets to my gun, the menu overlay wouldn't go away when I exited out of it, even back to the main menu. Had to close the game (luckily was finishing up anyway). So not the best of starts in that sense.

Enjoyed the gameplay so far though. Simplistic so far, but obviously no real abilities or anything yet. Story and world seems interesting.

• Advertisement

You never say something is impossible to a speedrunner.

Enjoying it so far, but too early to have much more of an opinion than ‘a more action-orientated Dishonoured’.

The turrets seem delightfully overpowered? Just pop one up quietly behind a group of enemies and let the machine do the hard work for you.

Runs well on PS5 but had one nasty temporary lock up after leaving the apartment for the first time. Thought it was going to crash but it didn’t in the end. Thankfully survived the firefight it happened in the middle of!

Tip: If you don't want to end a loop but feel like you're about to die you can cheese it by quitting to the main menu and it will restart you from the district. Also, if you do die on your final life don't go into the menu. Just close the app and boot into the game again and it will restart you from that district. 👀

The way Arkane has handled saving in this is really well done. I only ever crashed once in a run but because most areas now take about 2 minutes for me to clear that was nothing. Housemarque could learn a thing or two. Not allowing regular saves isn't worth it if your game is so poorly optimised that it crashes causing the player to lose hours of progress.

Where's the cheapest place to get this on Ps5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Same I've seen a few small glitches and things. I'd say they'll have them patched quick enough.

I had one where I couldn't move, could just rotate on the spot, was a bit weird.

Enjoying it so far too but haven't really uncovered much of the plot, have just been messing around and exploring

• Advertisement
Advertisement