Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

We play more than Portugal though and that's the main issue. You could throw the donkeys Hourihane and Hendrick out against Portugal and pick the one midfielder that would actually be good for Azerbaijan in Kilkenny.

I'd go the 3-5-2 formation because Hourihane is gonna make Cullen's life a nightmare in a 3-4-3. I'd even have Molumby in there because none of our midfielders are playing but he would still offer more off the play and won't be frightened to put a tackle in to announce himself on the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Kerry_2008

You could make a case for a decent back 3 / 5 out of the squad named but from there up the quality drops off a cliff. I presume Bazunu is the man in possession for the No. 1 shirt? Himself and Travers at least have some game time this season under their belt.

Midfield is very ordinary and that's being kind. Arter, Hourihane and Hendrick have all been poor in the last 2 - 3 years.The likes of Cullen etc instea of having a bedding in period are having to carry the midfield from day 1.

Horgan, Parrott and Curtis are operating at league one level. While 2 out of our 3 premier league strikers have seen little or no game time. Connolly has played but didn't exactly inspire confidence.

I was very hopeful when SK got the job but, he has been dealt a terrible hand by covid. On top of that our squad is at it's lowest ebb quality wise in a long long time. The optimist in me says we a bit of luck we could take six points where as the realist says 3 points would be an OK haul.

The pessimist tells me we may struggle to get a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Conor Coventry has been excellent pre season. Been compared to Declan Rice. Strange omission for some of the washed up CMs included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Josh Cullen's Anderlecht beaten 5-4 on agg by the Vitesse team that beat Dundalk 4-3 on agg in previous round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

People going mad about Arter should probably realise that there is no proven alterative for a number 6 if McCarthy is crocked. Sure, Kilkenny is playing that position for Bournemouth, but it's something he's only been shoe-horned into starting this season. Asking him to play a position he is still only learning against Portugal and Serbia is asking far too much considering he hasn't kicked a ball at senior level until last month.

Just one final point on Arter playing for the Forest reserves. The reason he's doing so isn't because he is no good, it's apparently because he told Dan Gosling not to join Forest in the January transfer window. When Hughton apparently learned of this, Arter was dropped and told he'd never play for the club again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have real fear for the Portugal game. I hope I am wrong but we may be torn to shreds

Is Randolph injured or just out of the picture now?

Graham Carey continued his fine start to the season to help CSKA Sofia into the Conference League group stages. Scored the first goal last night, around the 1 min mark here:

https://youtu.be/yI2fQYjv4Hs

Liam's Scales transfer to Celtic should be sorted today and he's signed a four year contract with them. Think they just need to sort out international clearance.

Also Joe Hodge has left Man City to sign with Wolves on a three year contract. Will link up with their U23s, and wouldn't be surprised to see him over at Grasshopper sometime in the future.

While he's still technically registered as an Ireland player, even though it looks like he couldn't be bothered and the rumours are coming from shite news sites. But Mipo Odubeko might be turning down a new contract to leave West Ham next summer on a free.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Wolves, it looks like Conor Ronan is going out on loan again, likely to be remaining in England.

https://twitter.com/TimSpiers/status/1430907453642743810

Finn is also apparently training with the team.

Luca Connell being dropped isn't too surprising, hard to justify his inclusion when we've the likes of Coventry, Devoy and Kilkenny all showing more than him.

I am a bit disappointed there's no Okoflex there, he's looked decent for West Ham reserves and it's not like our options up front are great. I wonder has he refused a call-up.

Also disappointed Lawal isn't there either. He looks a beast for Celtic B so far this season.

Moran at just 17 getting a call up is great to see. Competition in the midfield looks quite intense so not sure he'll be a starter.

Hopefully it works out for Ronan this time if he stays in England on loan. Grasshopper were playing him as a deep lying playmaker mostly, similar to Kilkenny, so might have better luck than before when he was playing as a more attacking midfielder.

And speaking of Kilkenny, if Crawford actually sticks him out on the wing after starting the season as a ball playing six then hopefully they leave Crawford behind in Bosnia when flying home.

Other than that the squad looks decent. Not a fan of McEntee and probably would have preferred Lawal in there given he can cover defence and midfield. McEntee might start as he's more experienced with the U21s but wouldn't be surprised to see Jake O'Brien take his place as he's doing well since joining Palace.

Midfield looks decent and it's good to see Moran and Ferguson being brought straight up to the U21s and bypassing the U19s. Hopefully he plays three at the back because this squad is more suited than the seniors for three at the back.

Molumby to West Brom could be on, couldn't really have ask for a better move. It's just a shame it isn't permanent.

Going by transfermarkt they've only got two central midfielders in Jake Livermore and Alex Mowatt. Would suit the high intensity style of Ismaël.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jayson Molumby going to West Brom would be perfect, presuming he gets a chance in the team. They look like they will do well this year, the new managers style seems to be all about energy and squeezing the play, the fans seem happy about it on twitter. Could be a great move if it happens! Really want to see him succeed and I think he could, he has just been very unlucky the past 12 months.

Connor Ronan a bit of a forgotton man, wonder where he will get a loan to. If it is a Championship club then he could find himself in the senior team soon, but I would say L1 is more likely.

That U.21 squad is decent, backline and midfield look fairly strong and a few guys even left out who could be decent options such as Ebosele, Lawal and Cashin. It is quite weak up top unfortunately. Odubeko is a gonner at this point but you'd have to be highly concerned about Okoflex and even Obafemi at this point. If they were interested surely they would be involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Anyone know are we likely to see new season tickets available?

Molumby has been unlucky the last four years really. That one season at Millwall has really only been the positive in his career. Only for a double knee injury and missing 18 months he'd have broke into the team under Hughton. Featured in two league cup games and was on the bench for a few league games at the start of the 17/18 season before doing his knee.

Ronan I'd hope would maybe look towards League One, it's probably gonna be a half season loan and go there to play games and then revaluate his options then for a full season loan next summer. As Sugarman said it's a shame he's missed out with Grasshopper playing in the Swiss top flight this season.

Ronan broke his metatarsal, hopefully he can return in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

Luca Connell seems to be picking up a few injuries since he went to Celtic. Wonder if the bulking up he did has effected his body maybe and has resulted in being suspect to injuries. He was never the biggest physically while at Bolton, but since he went to Celtic he's bulked up but seems to be mostly lower body. Looks a bit bottom heavy to me.

At Bolton he played LWB in one game and was up and down all game, but now often looks awkward when moving and less mobile.

Jayson Molumby to West Brom is a done deal. West Brom play Peterborough tomorrow night at 8pm.

What might need a massive pinch of salt, but a Republic of Ireland player tracker page is talking about how Conor Coventry could be on his way out of West Ham and joining Wolves. Permanent transfer apparently and not a loan. Like I said massive pinch of salt but these pages have often broken stuff with Èire Guide more or less being the first page to say Bagan is declaring.

A loan with the option to make it permanent too.

Won't believe it until we hear a bit more but hard to know what to make of Coventry to Wolves if that's true. He seems to be close to the West Ham team now, a homegrown lad with a British manager and liked by the fans. Going to Wolves surely he would be even lower down the pecking order with Moutinho and Neves ahead of him. Didn't West Ham turn down an offer from Peterborough?

I wonder is there any chance he's getting mixed up with Joe Hodge, who today signed for Wolves from Man City apparently.

Looks like Harry Arter is joining Charlton in L1.

Other players that could do with a move before the window closes: Obafemi, Long, Hourihane.. Forgetting anyone?

Let's leave Hourihane where he is please, and don't think Obafemi will move this season. Honestly think he'll walk next summer when his contract is up.

• Advertisement

Mark Travers out of today's game with an illness, and Kilkenny drops to the bench for this game.

Jesus that's the worst move an Irish players made in a long time. Even worse than Duffy's tbh

Does this now take the title of best name for an Irish player, possibly beating out Anselmo Garcia McNulty, or John Joe Patrick Finn even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And maybe most annoying of all is just how predictable it was. When the move was taking shape there were tonnes of posts on here suggesting a reasonably high risk of everything that's happened, happening.

Sure look, as far as places to be marooned for a year go, there's worse ones out there. But hopefully he can get out of there soon enough to a less erratic team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Possibly just bad wording in the news story but the manager had been there since McCarthy was sacked. One game of the new season maybe?

• Advertisement

The next manager might like Jack 🤣

Another sh1te day for our strikers, with the exception of Parrott who got an assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Does anyone know if vaccination/Covid certificate is required for entry for the upcoming home games in the Aviva? Can’t see any mention of it in articles when the capacity figures were announced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Looking likely Conor Hourihane will join Sheffield United on loan. Will be a good move for him, should be playing regularly there. They have been very poor so far this season so there will be a lot of responsibility on him to be the creative link for the team.

Hourihane to Sheffield United on season loan - https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1432285639966343173

Not sure this is such a good move for him, Sheffield United are a mess this season and I can see their manager getting sacked at some point.

Norwich signing another centre back is disappointing news, it would put Omobamidele down to either 4th/5th choice and not likely to see much game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

We're probably the finest international team around that's comprised of English League 1 players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bright bit of news Zeqiri is leaving Brighton on loan so thats one less person for Connolly to be behind.

Turns out they are signing Sima from Slavia Prague so competition hasn't decreased at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ramasun

Paul McShane is back at Man Utd on a playing contract.

Things are looking up.

• Advertisement

James Talbot called up to the squad as a replacement for Mark Travers, you'd imagine that is the end of Darren Randolph so. Seems a strange call on the face of it, is Darren carrying an injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Tottenham in for Emerson Royal, likely to push Doherty further down the pecking order.

Brighton sign Marc Cucurella which is competition for Duffy.

Not even selected as a 4th choice, seems harsh, especially considering his excellent record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Seems he's fit, but looks like Kenny isn't interested now that he's dropped back to 3rd choice at his club, behind Areola and Fabianski. Wonder if its a bit of a poke to try to get him to take a loan to the championship or something

Randolph popped this up on his instagram a few days ago;

"A lot of people asking if I've retired from international football. I haven't, I'm fit and training I just wasn't selected. Long time to go before I choose to retire."

<edit> hadn't refreshed and see that's already posted above... buuut, i can't delete this post, sooo...

Not sure it's a good move for Sheffield United rather than him. Even Swansea fans caught on after a handle of good games that he flatters to deceive.

Unless they're just planing on letting him play as a ten and have others put in extra work off to ball to compensate for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Was sure I'd seen him playing as a cb in a three before. Could have been mistaken though.

As has been said, Randolph has an ongoing hip issue. Why select a keeper whose never 100% and could end up getting hurt mid way through a game. Wasn't there a game or two where a West Ham defender had to take goal kicks for Randolph. Think it was before Marches games.

Unless he ended up moving there mid way through a game, as transfermarkt don't have him down as having played CB.

Duffys biggest threat will be Joel Veltman. But looks like Potter has rejigged his defence to accommodate Duffy. With Webster and Dunk playing either side of him he's got easy option to play it either side, and I've notice Lallana seems to drop deep for Duffy.

Think I've noticed him at times even pointing out to Duffy passes that are on with other players. Which isn't all that surprising as both lads have apparently become close since Duffy moved back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I know the mens team are struggling but what kind of nonsense is this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement