Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A lot of rival clubs probably also want to see Barca suffer and not take any players off there hands and let them lay in the bed they made.

The only players most teams would take off Barca are the kids they won’t sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah yeah, I guess there’s lots of reasons… none of them would trump getting the right player in while the opportunity is there, for me though. I’m not sure how interested Pep is in actively hurting Barcelona either.

I mean, I hope that sort of move doesn’t happen, as I think he’s one of the best suited options out there for Pep with Kane off the table. Maybe one to keep an eye on though!

Real have gone back with a new €180m bid for Mbappe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Either way Mbappe is going to end up at Madrid so PSG maybe aswell take Madrids offer. Like two big egos at play with Perez and Nasser. Reports of Lewandowskis agents were in Paris, wouldn't be a bad replacement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I don't see how Mbappe going to Real for 180m is good business at all.

He's all but said he's going to Madrid regardless so why not wait 12 months and save the money, he's hardly going to go elsewhere when it's well publicised he's a massive Madrid fan.

Even if he goes now, Madrid arent good enough to win a CL in the short term, he's got a much better chance with PSG.

Unless he wants to be the main star in his own right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Strange summer from City if they sign Ronaldo.

As well as all the goals I suppose he counts as home grown anyway?

The 100m for Grealish was out of touch with their normal level of spend on a single player.

Ronaldo would be costing them a good 50 or 60million for one season and is not a player I would link with Peps needs.

Could it be an owners wish since Qatar finally got Messi? Ronaldo had Fly Emirates on his front for a lot of his career promoting Dubai so maybe Abu Dhahi want their chance at one of the two superstars of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

lol at all these United fans indicating a fierce rivalry with City when they've spent the last few years praying City would win the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Liverpool fans themselves are well used to praying for City to win the league and will enjoy the next two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Oh look, some actual transfers.

Jordan Hugill Norwich to West Brom.

Chuba Akpom Middlesboro to PAOK

Isaac Success Watford to Udinese

Lucas Torreira Arsenal to Fiorentina(loan)

Giovanni Simeone Cagliari to Verona (loan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

As well as all the goals I suppose he counts as home grown anyway?

I wouldn't have thought so - he was already 18 when Utd bought him, you need 3 full years in England before your 21st birthday to be homegrown.

I'd say Ronaldo is nailed on to be a an owner signing.

They've missed out Messi and Kane and if Messi goes to Qatar, they need the next best thing who happens to want out of Juventus because they don't match his ambition.

He choose the perfect time to get out of a Madrid a few years back but even then, Juve was a strange call, they've only going backwards since he's joined.

He'll probably fire City to the PL again but I can't see this being a Pep signing at all and the fact Pep is hinting about leaving at the end of his current deal looks to be testament to that.

It'll be good to see how he handles the PL, I'd still be expecting 20+ goals and another 10 or so in the CL because City are so good they'll feed him chances on a plate.

It'll be fun to watch how he or city adapt to his strengths though, he's not the best footballer or link up player, Kane would have been much better but everyone knows how lethal he usually is with any chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Why would Liverpool fan be "WELL USED" to praying for City to win the league ?

If you mean to stop United winning its then its nearly a decade since United last won or even came close to winning it so no need to pray for a long aul time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He scores goals but the current Ronaldo is the antithesis of a Guardiola player. They must be foisting him on Pep.

The whole thing leaves me cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Lucas Torreira, remember him. He looked great in the WC/Copa America a few years back, what happened there?

Kurt Zouma close to West Ham move. Seems like a serious piece of business.

How is he rated by Chelsea fans?

Ya, I'd agree with that.

I think it's the beginning of the end for Pep at City.

Ideally for Pep and City, he wins them the CL before he leaves but I don't think CR7 is someone Pep wants to build around.

His pre match interviews today will be something to watch out for, Pep can be pretty spikey and petty at times so I wouldn't be surprised to see it on display today if the wrong questions are asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I hope he goes. he may as well.

keep stacking the deck Pep. your achievements mean less with each passing bucketload of money you feel the need to drop.

it also means that the achievements of whoever can win the PL and EPL ahead of City and PSG are enhanced even further.

bring it on.

Said it yesterday im not sure how there ego's will work together,

Ronnie will not like Pep's rotations

Peps rotation would keep him unbelievably fit and ready for the latter staged of the season but I don't think it's something Ronaldo has to worry about. 👀

I think it's down to CR7 seeing Messi going to PSG and being in prime position to win another CL and potentially another, maybe 8th Balon d'or.

He's all about the accolades and his brand/image and there's no way he was going to rot in Serie A for another a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I just can't see Pep and Ronaldo working well together. Look how badly is went between Pep and Ibrahimovic at Barca - Ronaldo would be worse. Especially an aging Ronaldo who won't do the defending from the front that the manager wants. I really can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It's odd I know but I have this strange feeling that Pep and Ronaldo will work brilliantly together and actually benefit from one another in a roundabout way. Ronaldo always puts the hard work in, it's how he kept up with the naturally gifted Messi for all those years.

If you work hard for Pep, I don't think it's possible not to get along with him, it's literally the number one principle of his football philosophy.

I obviously don't like the transfer as it makes every competition harder to win for Liverpool, but I have a feeling Ronaldo and Pep will be a better match than many expect. I hope I'm wrong.

Arsenal happened. Think there's a whole generation of players there that will need to be rehabbed to restart their career. He looked so good when he start there, like a little terrier, reminded me of Gattuso at the time, he's the right manager for him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's why I think it's going to be the end of Pep at City.

Khaldoon or Mansour are pushing for Ronaldo I reckon, well, in conjunction with Mendes who seems to be whoring him around Europe to anyone who can afford and offer him the chance at the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ronaldo wont get another CL at City.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

He isn't near good enough and he's an extremely whiney player. His failed loan at Atletico Madrid didn't help his situation either. His mother died too which obviously affected his form as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He has a better chance at City than at Juve though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wouldn't have any concerns about Ronaldo at City. He won't have to do much defending from the front as most of their games are against sides that set up camp in their own half. He will spend all of his time in the box, waiting for crosses from De Bruyne and Mahrez. Not to mention he'll be on pens, which has been a problem for City for years. Will guarantee around 20 league goals, which is around about what Aguero would manage in his prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Are we? It's been so long since United have even contended I must have forgotten

Just thinking about how the madness of this window owes a lot to that Barcelona/Messi fiasco. Messi would have extended had there not been financial issues to scupper it. And as soon as PSG learned Ronaldo was wanting to leave Juve, they would have certainly thrown everything at him to get him as they've always wanted one of the big two. That begs the question, if Ronaldo had gone to PSG, does Mbappe still want to leave, knowing he could spend a year or two with the man he grew up idolising? Maybe he extends as well. Madrid in this scenario probably end up going all out for Haaland, as would City. It's as if the Messi debacle has set into motion a chain of events that have thrown the entire football world upside down: Aguero left high and dry at Barca, Messi and Ramos about to be teammates, Ronaldo working for Guardiola. Imagine being told this would happen back in May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

PSG looking at replacing Mbappe with Haaland. Dortmund will want a world record fee though. Mental end to the window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah would agree with this. Although they are both highly strung much of it is motivated from a burning desire to win silverware so they're on the same page in that regard. Pep has announced his departure from City in 2023 and it sounds like Ronaldo is signing a contract till 2023 which matches that. They both badly want the CL for their own reasons, Peps time at City would be tainted if he never wins it especially given the money spent and Ronaldo wants at least one more CL title to move 6-4 on Messi for CL titles rather than 5-5 if Messi were to win it at PSG.

Id say there will be strops between them in the background but ultimately they both really want the same thing and are highly driven to get it.

This lot aren't very reliable, are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ole has basically said that Man Utd are trying to sign Ronaldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Harry Kane will be crying himself to sleep all season now regretting letting his father and brother handle is contracts while he looks at every other top forward who wanted to move actually get a move.

Ronaldo has decided to join United .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Sure Ronaldo wouldn't suit Pep's strikerless and CL-less system.

Real battle of Manchester stuff now. But whoever doesn't get him will be better off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

City apparently not signing him.

Utd signing him, bar it being the mother of all homecomings, and the fact he'll basically be deified upon his return, it doesn't massively improve Utd if he does join. he doesn't too much more than what Cavani would be doing really.

that might be huge naivety on my part, granted!

It's s bit of a no brainer for him if it's between United and City. He would do damage to his reputation for to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Stuff currently rumbling with Cavani and internationals and there is allegedly a bit of a Mexican standoff between player and club over it. Edi also wouldnt be playing close to every game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Poor Pep. Must be tough when other teams don't roll over when you come calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah I'm not sure about this. I don't think he would have suited Pep's style of play, United on the other hand don't really have a style of play but I'm not sure he's a solution to the problems we do have. Looks very much like it's happening though.

Honestly think that like Sanchez, they'll be proven right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ronaldo working with Pep always seemed like a weird fit. Would have changed a lot of what works at City.

Ronnie's return. Unbelievable. This window has been insane. I'm delighted he won't be going to City!

In all this i feel for Bruno the most , all of sudden his 15 goals form penalties a season are gone ,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement