Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

What the story with NZ? Still pushing for Zero Covid utopia? Australia looks to be have given up

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes they are, they can't just switch horses now but it will take them a good while to get numbers down.

Post edited by is_that_so on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

You cant look at Australia as a whole, internal border restrictions have been a hugely successful. Like individual countries. There's plenty of boardsies on here not located in sydney or melbourne whose lives have been and still are comparatively unaffected by covid. There are some states where covid has been pretty much non-existant the entire time.

Anyone living here can clearly see that that the current lockdowns are for containment and control while they go full out on the vaccinations.

Are they really going full out on vaccinations? Last data I saw had them at something like 34/38 OECD countries for vaccinations.

Yes they are. It was always made clear that the Pfizer supply wouldn't increase until august/september. It has taken off massively since. They are currently on target for 70% vaccination by end of the year, with a population 5 times that of ireland. Within the space of the past few weeks its has gone from me knowing hardly anyone vaccinated (just a few nurse and doc friends), to everyone in my social/work/hobby circles either having one or both shots, or being offered a booking for one.

So yes, the rollout has improved significantly. They might be 34/38 now but as stated above, the ramp up was only ever possible from August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Increased supply in August/September is all well and good but how do you get around the vaccine hesitancy from the people living in the "states where covid has been pretty much non-existant the entire time." ?

If everything is normal why get a vaccine that, as vaccines go, there is a lot of skepticism about.

The population size is irrelevant, it's how the programme is managed. The US too took off at a very impressive rate yet now finds itself with many states at barely 50%. 50% is easy, it's that last 10-15% that is the real challenge. We haven't run into that problem at all but quite a few countries have.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

You wait until the disease gets in and they can’t contain it unfortunately.

NSW has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world and will continue to do so. The virus being out there scares people into getting vaccinated. WA could be lagging behind for a long time.

id give it a max 4 weeks before QLD is in trouble too. Sheer luck they’ve not had the mass outbreak of Victoria or NSW yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭blackcard

New South Wales has 32.2% of its 16+ population fully vaccinated which is nowhere near the highest vaccination rates in the world. They will obviously be vaccinating faster than other developed countries who already have a large percentage of their population vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

A few months in lockdown will solve that problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Thats basically WA and QLD and they can f**k right off if they want to keep their borders closed. The tourism operators in those states will be on their knees when the federal money stops, its like a microcosm of the Australian response with the world, at some stage you have to have a plan to open up using vaccinations as a defense, otherwise you are just kicking the can down the road. I saw the WA premier saying he wanted zero covid even after vaccines are rolled out, good luck to people there, if you dont have your family within the state you're not getting out for a long time, you get to go for coffee and a bite to eat though!

Nowhere in Australia has anywhere near the highest vaccination rates in the world. Pretty much bottom of any developed country at the moment,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm in WA and have fully supported Mark McGowan's performance for the past 18 months. The latest State election was a landslide and his approval rating is sky high because of the quality of life we've maintained through the pandemic.

However, there needs to be an end game and there's only so many long weekends you can have in Margaret River. WA is full of ex-pats with family in other parts of the world so if the rest of the country starts to open up then McGowan will be under serious pressure to follow suit and I think he will have no choice but to cave eventually.

The issue in WA at the moment is vaccine hesitancy. As mentioned already, there is a mentality that if we don't have COVID then we don't need a vaccine. We had a scare last month with a returned traveller which tbh was a great thing as it woke up a few people to the fact that we aren't invincible and they need to get vaccinated. It may take another one or two similar situations (or a lockdown) to get to the 70/80% mark.

its a double edged sword alright, people get complacent without any push factors to get the vaccine, then when they see others reaping the rewards of vaccination rates getting up they demand the same opening be done not realising vaccinations are a slow process to roll out.

I dont think Mcgowan is helping by pushing the hardline border closures as the solution going forward, he should be preparing the people for a time when things do open up and vaccination as the defense, unless a majority of WA are content to go their own way in maintaining 0 covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Poor choice of words by me. I meant the number of people getting vaccinated daily per 100 people. Not people who are fully vaccinated.

Hopefully it doesn’t get mired in vaccine hesitancy.

What would worry me is the growing similarity of an aspect of Australian media to the conspiracy theory end of American media. There’s a lot of scope for serious anti vaxxer stuff and they’ll undoubtedly be targeted internationally with the same guff that was attempted everywhere else.

The issue with uptake in the US, or Germany for example isn’t anything to do with supply. Things motored ahead until they hit a wall of conspiracy theories and hesitancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sco Mo often gets blamed for the poor vaccination rates in Australia, but can he also be held responsible for the poor vaccination uptake across the Tasman?

Is it simply a co-incidence that Australia and NZ have successfully implemented Zero Covid strategies over the past year AND have low vaccine uptakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Probably not a coincidence. They’re both isolated countries that as far as I can tell don’t produce any vaccines domestically and aren’t part of a bloc like the EU which made it a lot easier for us. So they struggled with supply and then the general public aren’t fussed because they hadn’t endured long lockdowns or lots of people dying. A lot people have to be burned before they’ll accept the fact that fire is hot. It’s a point of view I can’t understand. Maybe in Aus they just need to feel the heat for a while, they aren’t alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

God help Australia, they will never be out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Biosecure bubbles??? Are they out of their mind in that country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

They're ahead of a number of EU countries already, and have a better trajectory than most.

Trajectory is not vaccinated and two EU countries there have just given up on vaccinating people. The unanswered question is the level of vaccine hesitancy and whether that will scupper all those plans they have. They could yet end up in booster territory like Israel or the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Why are people going on like Israel have no one vaccinated and lumping them in with the basket cases like USA?

They've more doses given out than we have and nearly everyone above 50 have gotten vaccianted there, 80% of eligible Israelis over 12 years old are vaccinated.

They are as protected as one could hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why are people going on like boosters aren't a thing that will be needed everywhere? They will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

This should be used as an example in college about how cherry picked data in a nice graph can be used to present a distorted view of reality.

Is that where Australia sees itself in the world, comparing itself with Romania and Bulgaria?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Speaking of cherry picking, you've left out quite a number of countries in your analysis of my post. I can sleep easy having also compared them to 6 other developed countries, which you completely fail to mention.

Other than blatantly doing what you're accusing me of in your reply, this was a great post.

Keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭blackcard

Australia is not in the top 40 of countries with the highest vaccination rates, it has less than half the vaccination rate of the EU. 25% of the total population of the world has been vaccinated, Australia is barely above this average. I am not saying that Australia has done a bad job in relation to Covid-19 but to claim that it has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world is incorrect

In this instance, the poster meant rate as in speed, i.e. X amount of jabs per X amount of population per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The Guardian has a decent vaccine tracker for Australia. They're doing fine, belatedly. Coverage should be ok in a couple of months.

Compared to we were at the start of this year, with schools closed and over six months to go, they're in a much better position.

• Advertisement

The US and Israel have fairly similar overall vaccination rates and a similar issue with vaccine hesitancy or refusal. The US is not entirely a basket case but it is very patchy and has locations of very low vaccination rates. Israel started exceptionally well but have made very little dents in rates since March. That is very likely a factor in what is going on there now. For both countries the decision to use boosters looks identical - get those who will take the vaccine protected.

Advertisement