Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And whose fault is that? NPHET or the government that hides behind 'the public health advice' except for GAA games?

Tony giving Electric Picnic the go ahead for vaccinated people (like organisers wanted) has badly exposed what the government are at. They wanted to blame NPHET and are now scrambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

1.2 million test results actually, and no need to plough through those 100`s of pages. New Scientist magazine did a nice little synopsis of that study. They even provided data from the study that make your claim of "efficacy drops of sharply after 6 months" look rather foolish. Efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine was 88% after one month. After 6 months it was 74%. A 14% drop after 5 months isn`t the sharp drop you were attempting to portray it as now is it ?

Your "after 12 months it is like you never had the shots" is just another of those things that nobody ever said that are a recurring theme on this thread, (or horse manure if you prefer) as there has been no study of efficacy after 12 months for the simple reason nobody has yet had the vaccine for 12 months.

Booster shots have been on order before this study was published, so rather than like hearing hoofbeats in the northern hemisphere and automatically thinking zebras, perhaps thinking booster shots and a virus that has shown it is very capable of mutating would be a better idea than spouting some baseless theory. Especially when there are yearly booster shots for influenza, so it`s not exactly some kind of new fangled idea on mutations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Ah c'mon. You were caught out. Just put your hands up and admit it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

A good summary. Expectations soared following the initial trials. 12 months ago an 80% effective vaccine against infection would have been considered an amazing achievement. Now it’s somehow a problem

Case in point: In announcing the decision to offer third shots, Walensky cited a study from New York state that showed the mRNA vaccines’ efficacy against any infection had declined to 79.8%. But that same study showed protection against serious illness was still above 90%. For many experts, it was evidence not of a problem, but of a success.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/08/25/covid-19-vaccines-flirted-with-perfection-reality-more-complicated/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Who would have thought that covid and boards were interconnected. Since the 'revamp' I've by and large switched off from covid news. The latest notification dumps just another nail in the coffin making the site unusable.

Yes there are still annoying and conflicting restrictions but every day life is almost back to normal. Switching off news notifications and not checking or following threads in here do wonders for the head space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Taking this thing off my head would do wonders for my headspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Well if they can end this with the stroke of a pen, why don’t they? Given everything we know now? For example, we could eat indoors last summer with no vaccines or masks, this summer, with both of those things we paperwork to show we are vaccinated. Please tell me where the “logic” is in that.

Having 20 cases per day vs 2000 makes a difference

That'd be the presence of the more transmissible variant.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I love the way you two still think that there is some big plan in place with this government. There isn’t, they have not one single notion of what they are doing. They contradict themselves all over the place. They do what Tony tells them and nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

No government in the world has had a clue, this has been pretty much unprecedented, certainly for many generations and they've all been flying blind and learning as they go. They've almost all deferred to their versions of CMO/NPHET etc. And why wouldn't they ? You wouldn't ask a mechanic how to handle a public health emergency would you ? That's not to say they haven't made mistakes with the benefit of hindsight, of course they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Hindsight my arse, a lot of the mistakes made were really obvious at the time.

Nursing homes for example, it was said by all and sundry that they needed particular attention due to the nature of this virus but instead they were criminally underprotected.

That is just one example, there are many more and plenty of people were pointing them out in advance.

I don't think government have some big plan in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I see the mayor of Derry has offered to host Electric Picnic... The DUP are really trying to push the party atmosphere lately, it wasn't so long ago they had locked up playgrounds on Sundays, next they'll be having their national conference in a gay bar in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Tony said it should go ahead but the local council refused to grant the event licence counter to public health advice. I don’t the government had much to do with it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Government laws have large gatherings capped at 500. That was LCCs excuse.

Government, knowing they couldn’t blame NPHET, are now scrambling despite Catherine Martin bringing proposals weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

The first details to come out for how Sinopharm and Sputnik have been doing in Bahrain's population. Looks like the Sputnik is doing better than most would of thought.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You can use liberal, conservative, right wing or left wing as a way to describe things you don't like. We all embrace some form of propaganda or dogmatic beliefs and promote them consciously or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Very interesting stats but it doesn't have much to do with relaxation of restrictions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I just drop into this thread from time to time, but every time I do, I notice your agenda against the vaccine.

You are obsessed with this drop in efficacy. Which was to be expected. Antibodies wane, so what. The "efficacy" in the report refers to infection. Whilst admittedly, the reduction is unfortunate and not ideal, it's also not unexpected. The report (and many others) clearly show that efficacy against severe illness/hospitalisation/death is still extremely high. That is "good news" in anyone's language. And until that starts to change, you have very little (if anything) to gloat about on here.

Ah here...it's not an agenda...it's the 'truth'.

So now citing actual data from a study is propaganda, whereas a scaremongering statements of efficacy dropping of sharply after 6 months and after 12 months it is like you never had the shots, without a single figure to back up that statement is not propaganda. This thread just continues to get stranger by the day.

Wading through hundreds of pages is not going to change the facts. The drop of in efficacy of Pfizer`s vaccine in 5 months was 14%. Not the cliff face you were attempting to portray it as, and the "after 12 months it is like you never had the shots" is horse manure as there has been no study carried out on those who have been vaccinated for 12 months as they simply do not exist.

It seems that after all this time and all the discussion on these threads there are still some posters that do not understand what a mutating virus is and the need for booster shots. While they are doing so very effectively, the present vaccines were not even developed to counter the present mutation. I would have thought the need for an annual flu booster shot would have at least given them a hint, but they somehow appear to have picked up the belief that these vaccination were promised as some type of magic bullet virus sterilization shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

A sign that the government now thinks nphet are talking shite?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0827/1243088-covid-restrictions/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Not so much talking shite I don't think, more so that putting a figure on it seems fairly pointless because as pointed out by a few posters here yesterday, 90% should be hit within about 2 weeks then allow say another 7-14 days after 2nd dose so as the minister says we'll hit 90% anyway.

I don't see the point in setting a target that you know is going to be hit shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Be it that it may, they should be putting an official timeline of the removal of distancing and masks.

Only then can we consider the restrictions removed

The report said worst case scenario not reasonable case. Nowhere does it say it will go to zero at 12 months or any stage.

Furiously spinning to avoid admitting you were wrong.

The more that you read about respiratory viruses and the immune system the more it makes sense. Antibodies are created following exposure to the virus/ vaccine, and in the short term these are readily available to react to exposure to the virus. The immune system however does not maintain a large store of every single antibody produced in perpetuity. Instead they are kind of held in reserve ready to react when next exposed to the pathogen. This is where the respiratory viruses method of infection comes in. They initially infect the nasal passage and upper airways. Immune response in this area is slower. Why? Because if a full immune response was mounted every time a foreign substance was detected in the airway it would inhibit our ability to live a normal life (hay fever is one such example of over active immune response). Respiratory viruses exploit this by replicating initially in the upper airway before the immune system can react. When antibodies, either natural or vaccine derived, wane over time, this allow the virus to get a foothold and infection to occur prior to the body mounting a response. The immune system eventually catches up and significantly reduces severity, for the vast majority at least, however breakthroughs are to be expected. The current variant is so transmissible that it will likely keep infecting us over and over, topping up immunity and resulting in mild illness at worst for most. The vulnerable with weaker immune system will need boosters, just like with the flu

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You need to stop browsing the american sites, the vaccines are approved in Europe.

But that won't matter, you'll want super duper approval and then it would be another excuse.

But I would say, get off the Facebook and twitter sites for your vaccine information, read the studies, some have good results for vaccines, some have worrying results for long term efficacy, but at least it would be based off real data and stop coming out with naïve statements like "Heading below 50% toward zero over time", if something drops from 99 to 98, it's "heading below 50%".

• Advertisement

Unless my memory is shot to hell or there is some form of public transport out there I have not yet used, I wouldn`t see wearing a face mask, as the man said as good manners, as some great impingement to the freedoms I had on public transport prior to this. If it is a help to those unable to avail of a vaccine I imagine it would also lower the number of influenza cases so all the better. Not just for the benefit of the health system, when you consider the pandemonium with hospital yearly due to influenza, but also for the economy by cutting back on working hours lost. Something I would have thought would be a consideration for all those that have questioned how we are going to pay for the hit to our economy because of this pandemic.

Advertisement