Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for houses in Roscommon - any thoughts on Boyle or Castlerea?

Options
  • 21-07-2021 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

My wife and I are currently househunting after moving back to Ireland from the UK. Neither of us can drive so this really limits our options. We want to be within range of Athlone on a trainline so Boyle and Castlerea are two places we are currently looking at.

We don't have kids so don't need schools or children's activities. We are mid 40s-50 so don't need excitement either. What we want is something nice and quiet. A bit of space. Good broadband access and access to some shops and other amenities (we need to be able to eat!)

Anyone got any thoughts on these towns to share? We are looking at Roscommon Town as well but nothing available at the moment in our price range (sub 200k)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rosco444

If i had to choose between Castlerea and Boyle I'd probably go with Castlerea for the simple reason - it is just a short hop on the train to Roscommon. Roscommon, if you don't drive, is by far the best option as you have everything you need there, shopping wise and nice cafe's/places to eat, a nice park etc and it's near Athlone. Both Castlerea and Boyle are poor in terms of shops but both have nice amenities such as Boyle Abbey/King house in Boyle and The demense and Clonalis house in Castlerea. There is a very good sense of community in Castlerea and it is a quiet town and possibly easier to access Athone from there than from Boyle. But Boyle is also a nice quiet country town. Good luck with your house hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

just to note - Boyle is on a different line - goes to Sligo though in about the same time as Castlerea to Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'd second Boyle also. Sligo Dublin train will also get you into Carrick on Shannon. Buy some bikes and you've Blueway to Lough Key and off into the lovely villages of Keaue, Cootehall, Ballyfarnan. Buy a small boat or canoe and you've Boyle Canal, River Shannon, Lakes etc!!

Boyle town currently being rejuvenated and People's Park and town centre getting a lot money invested in it.

Good luck with your move.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

There is often houses in Roscommon town for sub 200k.

I don't know what you need but there's a house that's in a nice area of the town,10mins walk to main street, about 5 minutes to a few good shops.It probably needs work but it's listed for a while at 180k and it certainly doesn't look like dump.Just dated.

Could be worth checking out.

I'd pick Roscommon town over the other 2 if it's at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

We actually agreed the purchase of a house in Carrick-on-Shannon. Unfortunately two days ago our solicitor contacted us to say it had fallen through and the vendor was taking the house off the market.

Thanks for the input above guys, I'll give it all a mull over.

If the house at 180,000 is the on Celtic Avenue, we viewed it yesterday. It is gone over the asking price already and we don't think it is worth what it would take to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

That's the one,pity it's already gone over asking.

That's a very nice area/estate and close to everything .

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

If you don’t drive, your lifestyle in Roscommon will be very limited, Barring Medical limitations, you should consider learning to drive an automatic car. Roads down there are very quiet so it should not pose an insurmountable problem.

The Mammy only learned to drive in her 60s after the family had all moved on. Gave her an entire new lease of life.

Advertisement