Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year olds able to change gender in Scotland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

The issue is that is not something a school or education setting should even be entertaining - it should be ignored unless the parents give specific direction to do so. All this guideline encourages is confusion of the child when they are referred to as he/her in school but don't get that option at home.

Not at all. I think I made myself pretty clear and never once mentioned a trans army.

Encouragement as in not correcting a child when they say something wrong. A boy who wants to be a girl should be told that it isn't possible and given an age appropriate lesson in biology.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This guideline doesn’t force anyone to do anything.

Like, literally crack on as you normally would unless something arises.

You’re acting like this guideline means every child needs to be assessed.

Once again, people letting their ignorance and hatred get in the way of basic common f*cking sense.

Lol. I can't imagine you had a straight face when you typed that.

Basic common sense?

Really?

"Common **** sense" would be not even entertaining this nonsense in the first place.

"Children as young as four will be able to change their gender at school without their parents’ consent under guidance introduced in Scotland.

Any pupil who decides they want to switch gender must be supported and listened to in school following the Scottish Government advice"

So child comes home from school and says that he is now she. Parent says no you are not, and child says yes I am and the school said it is OK. Mentally damaging a child is not part of school and under no circumstances should the school be encouraging or promoting something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭archfi

Common sense dictates you do not issue guidance that may exclude the parent(s) of a child from knowing everything regarding their child's behaviour and development when in the supposed care of a state or private institution.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That sounds like some made up bullsh1t mate.

For that kid, it might mean that school is a refuge from an oppressive home life. It means they have somewhere to go that they feel respected. Imagine if a child who says they're gay needed to get permission from home before their school will respect it. It's insane.

Showing respect for someone's identity is one of the most fundamental forms of respect there is; refusing to do so is about the most personal attack you can get. It's why bullying is so devastating. And it's also about the easiest form of respect to show. It takes absolutely zero effort, it has absolutely no impact on you, but to them it's everything.

Projecting adult emotions and feelings on to a 4 year old child is exactly why this idea is complete bollix. You talk about identity and how refusing to acknowledge it is devastating - have you been around 4 year olds before?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Show me a 4yr old child that claims to be trans and I'll show you a neurotic 'munchausen by proxy' parent (typically the mother) that will mutilate their own child for clout and attention. The whole basis of 'rapid onset gender dysphoria' has been shown to be 'trans-trending' based on social contagen.

Mark my words, 20yrs from now there will be Magdeline Laundry style tribunals conducted to investigate how the state, once again, sent children into the arms of ideological institutions that abused them.

• Advertisement

Children as young as four years old should not be introduced to anything sexual or identity related, full stop.

Many, many times. Identity is practically all they talk about. Who they are, who their friends are, who their family is, what they like to do.

Have YOU ever dealt with 4 year olds before?

When a four-year-old comes running up to you and says they're Spiderman, you don't go, "No you're not, you can't be Spiderman, stop talking bollox". Or maybe you do.

Any road, the thread title and the Daily Mail is just part of the same sensationalist bollox. It's a guideline issued to primary schools, therefore applies to kids anywhere between 4 and 13.

I supposed you think the guidelines should be, "Always tell them that they can't change gender and to stop being ridiculous. Until they turn 10, then you can change the message completely"

That won't be confusing at all.

I have a 4 year old actually, and if you capitulated to every whimsical fancy and idea a 4 year old has you'd end up with a very confused child. The guidelines should be "mind your own fvcking business, stick to teaching and leave the life stuff to the parents". And it should 100% be reinforced if needed that a boy is a boy and a girl is a girl, that's biological fact and is that not what education is supposed to provide?

Right, so you are that parent who tells their kid they can't be a fairy princess, or batman or whatever, and that unicorns and wizards aren't real?

No, I don't think that's the case. When they say they're going to marry their best friend of the same gender, do you go, "No! You can't say that! You don't know if you're gay or not!". I suspect you don't. Yet, when it comes to gender identity, it's somehow a special case. Children have to be set right, they have to be corrected. For reasons.

If your daughter comes up to you today and says, "I am a boy and my name is Tom", then she's not going to be at all confused by you calling her Tom, because that what she chose.

If she wakes up the next day and decides that she's not a boy anymore and she wants her old name back, again she won't be confused by you switching back, because that's what she picked.

The cost to you is zero. Literally no skin off your nose.

If my child wanted to pretend to be spiderman, I'd go along with it while we were playing. I wouldn't encourage him to genuinely believe that though

Do you think gender identity is the same as playing make believe?

Hold on, you are really muddying the waters here. Pretending a child is spiderman or a princess or whatever is normal - the difference is the child is not going to turn 18 and think they are fvckin spiderman. It's temporary fantasy fulfillment and it's totally natural.

My daughter turning around to me at 4 years old and saying her name is Tom and she's a boy? No darling you are not a boy, you are a girl. Simple correction, end of the story. There is a huge difference.

For some kids it may be. For others it may not. Either way, it doesn't matter. You don't turn around and go "Now son, I'll pretend you're spiderman while we're playing, but it's really important that you understand that you're not actually spiderman".

It's a child. You let him be spiderman and let him just do his thing.

Yet a boy asking to be called a girl's name, needs to stamped out. Can't be having that. For reasons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread is being reviewed

If it stays civil then it can stay open for the review, if you continue to make personal digs at each other it will be closed for the duration

Some posters really need to wind their necks in with personal remarks

I wouldn't have to explain to my son he wasn't really Spiderman as he would know the difference between fantasy and reality, even at a young age.

Changing your sex isn't the same thing. People actually advocate for children to be able to do this outside of the "playing" realm. I wouldn't teach my daughter or son that being a boy or girl is an interchangeable thing outside of playing. Schools shouldn't either. Schools are a place to learn facts and teachers are held as authority figures by children. If they are told by a teacher that little Amy can be Tom if he/she wants and become a boy, then that's confusing as **** to a child. A person they trust is telling them a falsehood.

If that works for you, have at it. To me, that is an incredibly bad way to parent.

Spiderman is "imaginary", so you are entertaining the child by letting them use their "imagination". You'd be surprised at how much time a child can get lost in pretending to be a princess etc.

The fact they are a boy or a girl is not imaginary - it's a biological fact. A child confusing themselves by claiming to be the opposite has zero value in "imagination play" - there is literally nothing to be gained by playing along with that. We can play an hour of princess in the castle or we can play an hour of me calling you Tom and pretending you are a fella - which one do you think is going to hold the childs interest longer?

• Advertisement

There's no point in quoting both of your posts, because the essence of them is the same.

"I won't accept any notion of gender identity even entertained near children lest they become corrupted by it".

The same tired old gatekeeping that people used to do about sexuality.

Thats absolutely not what I am saying.

You conflated playing and using your imagination with gender identity on numerous occasions. If it's play and the child is aware that they aren't actually the opposite sex, then that ok.

If you tell a child that the CAN change sex, then thats wrong.

Changing from a boy to a girl is couldn't be further from anything to do with sexuality so the gatekeeping malarkey doesn't hold up.

There's no "gatekeeping" about it - it's called parenting. If I don't want my child exposed to horror movies for example, I won't allow them anywhere near them. If I don't want my child growing up believing makey uppey nonsense that a boy can become a girl and vice versa, they won't. The same way my child will be told about "sexuality" when I feel they are at an appropriate age to do so - 4 years old is not that time.

I am the parent and it's my rules, and I certainly won't bend or change them for some new age woke nonsense that spits in the face of biological fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's a very delicate and complicated area. This is a fascinating article which really helped with my understanding. Yes its the Guardian, but it is well worth a read (a long one at that)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/aug/24/shaky-acceptance-transgender-kids-families-fight-for-inclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://www.gov.scot/publications/supporting-transgender-young-people-schools-guidance-scottish-schools/pages/3/...

Addressing young people: good practice If you are supporting a transgender young person, be led by them, checking with them what pronoun and/or name you should use and in which circumstances. This may be different depending on whether it's in public or private, and may change over time. This is part of the process of their transition.Staff and young people should avoid 'deadnaming'. This is when someone intentionally calls a transgender young person by their previous name. Depending on the situation, it could be distressing for the young person, or be viewed as bullying.If someone accidentally calls a person by their previous name, they should simply apologise and try not do this in the future.

So in Scotland - the teacher/staff should be led by the child.

Pronouns

Typical pronouns are 'he' or 'she'. Some transgender young people, especially those with a non- binary[42] gender identity, are unhappy about people referring to them as 'he' or 'she', and use the gender-neutral pronoun 'they'. Other, rarer, non-binary pronouns include 'zie' or 'ey' or 'per'

So child says to teacher my pronoun is 'per'. Teacher is led by child and refers to child as per. Later the child may change their pronoun to zie and henceforth teacher will refer to child as zie, and may changer again over time as child develops. Is teacher going to explain this to the rest of the class?

It is good practice to engage with parents in decision making, working closely with the young people.

Good practice? Parents would agree with that I'd say.

There is no law in Scotland which states that only people assigned male at birth can use men's toilets and changing rooms, or that only people assigned female can use women's toilets and changing rooms. This is instead done by social convention.

Good to know. Next time I see a queue for the gents and none for the ladies I'll just use the ladies instead. Why now.

Anyway there is something odd about that whole piece. It's the tone of it. It's like it's written for a trans adult in mind and not a child. It doesn't read like it's actually motivated to make things better for a trans children despite on the face of it that's what it's about. It just seems more political than it should be. It's also a bit aggressive, a bit militant-y. That's the vibes I'm getting off it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Just as well we don't make policy based on internet science and psychology then.

This level of general ignorance plays well into the publishers of the original article that started this thread.

Must be easy to make money from "news" sources these days.

What are you talking about tho? This is guidance to support children who know their gender. I'm not even sure what "sexual related" means in this context.

Seriously it's not hard to comprehend. There is no one forcing this on children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

What are you gibbering about? Our government has literally formed policy around trans issues based on internet science and pop psychology, with a dash of pathological altruism, that has proved to be a downright danger to children's wellbeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Do.you have any kind of experience or insight into how a child who wants to be referred to in a certain way, and the school complies but the parents don't, then it's the school that are causing confusion to the child?

Advertisement