Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advanced time switch

Options
  • 25-08-2021 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi,

I work from home and want to limit internet usage as I get no work done!

I'm looking to create a circuit that will turn on the router for 15 mins and then shut it off for at least an hour.

I can use a simple timer for the 15 mins on time but keeping it off for an hour has me stumped!

Any ideas?

I want to do this with off the shelf hardware rather than some internet-based system so I physically have to get up to turn it on!

Is there a format of time switch that has a reactivation delay built in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

I used those DIN rail mountable multi function timers to do a similar task years ago. Modified a DOL start/stop station to start flashing an indicator after 1 minute of pressing the pump start button, if the reset button was not pressed during that minute, the pump would shut down. It was intended to stop operators leaving it running unattended.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Great, those Multi-Function timers seem like the job, one I'm viewing has a cycle delay, looks like it will do the trick.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Some of the Sonoff switches have "inching" not sure if it would suit as I haven't used that function. Perhaps @2011 here might know.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, Sonoff have an inching setting. However the end user can opt to disable this feature.

Inching can be set at any time from 1 second to 1 hour. When activated this means that once the Sonoff is switched on it will switch itself off when the time has elapsed.

Advertisement