Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The problem isn’t leaving the problem is leaving American civilians and allied civilians behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

From 4k to 2.5k troops doesn't seem like much. I don't think anyone would have batted an eye lid if he had slowly filtered a 1k or more soldiers back in to secure Kabul at least until they had everyone out.

An omnishambles with a wide scope of blame to dish out but nothing in that small article would make me think Biden can be absolved of his share of that blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry it seems you want someone to confirm some bias for you ?In 2018 there was 14,000 trump reduced that over those years. Dramatically especially in 2020 down to 2500.

It's your assertion that Biden should have increased the troop count? By how many ? And why ? And how would he have got that by Congress , especially the republicans who had put in gates related to the negotiations trump initiated.

Can you give some detail as to what you think should have been done and how and why, rather than asking to be given information. Then being given it and throwing it away out of hand.

It read to me that a smooth withdrawal with everyone being evacuated while the military still had control would have been preferable. But let's argue about Trump instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You seem a bit agitated. I've zero skin in the game here. Could care less what geriatric is in the white House. So calm your knickers.

The article said in November there was 4k troops and that was reduced to 2.5k as Biden took office. So in my admittedly, completely uninformed opinion that doesn't seem like the type of no turning back scenario.

If redeplowing that 1.5k troops meant the difference between an easy taliban march to Kabul or not then yes I think Biden should have tried to do that.

So his portion of blame lies around that side of this $hitshow imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

????

Every US president and indeed British PM has sold arms and equipment to Saudi Arabia.

Oh and they sell the expertise as well.

The Saudis probably couldn't scratch themselves without foreigners.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What military?

Genuine question.

The Afghan was the military in control. But picture a world where their leadership and command were not invited to negotiation talks in 2018 for their country. Are they still the people in power ? Are they not ?

How does military maintain control with that spectre over their head?

So when you say military do you mean reinforcing US troops back up to 10,000? To maintain control as you say whilst orderly retreat. How does this play on Congress? To the public ?

Over simplification of the issues at hand seems to be common.

Why do you not want to discuss the deals made and with whom they were made?

Because it gives far too much legitimacy to the Taliban to say that Biden's hands were tied by a previous administration's deal. That's putting the Taliban up with the likes of Russia and nuclear pacts in terms of not reneging.

It's a complete mess and Biden deserves a bad rap for it. To argue that this calamity of a withdrawal was written in stone, and Biden had no part to play, is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Quite a few of these people are Afghans who actually live in Ireland but who haven't yet acquired Irish citizenship. Simon Coveney was explaining yesterday that such people had returned home to Afghanistan to visit relatives because it's August and then been unable to get back out again when things kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"So when you say military do you mean reinforcing US troops back up to 10,000? To maintain control as you say whilst orderly retreat. How does this play on Congress? To the public ?"

I would say it plays a lot better than dead American soldiers thanks to suicide bombs and Afghan civilians clinging to and falling off planes.

It's fair to say that this withdrawal would have been a clusterf**k no matter what happened. But it's also fair to say that it could absolutely have been handled much much better. Now, which parties share the blame for that is up for debate (how much input did Biden really have in determining the withdrawal process and timeline, for example) but as he said, the buck stops with him, and it looks absolutely terrible for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's not about reneging on a deal with Taliban, it's about the practicalities of pressing reset on the entire process and getting Afghanistan to the point where America could withdraw under Biden's preferred conditions within the constraints of a four-year presidential term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It probably plays out with alot more coffins, it's been handled terribly but going back in is not a solution, try to get out with minimal loss of life.

A cousin of an ‘Irish citizen’ was on RTE news last night, trying to get out. You can’t take half the country. How do you know they aren’t extremist sympathisers? Just look at the number of terror attacks in mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I imagine anyone who is an actual Irish resident would have little difficulty in proving they live in Ireland.....they would have (or have access to) lots of documentation, a PPS number etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

there was a lot of talk of ;not knowing the Taliban would advance so fast/that Afghan defence would collapse so fast' but if 31 August was the deadline , what difference did the advance/collapse matter. (Were the western nations hoping to call their citizens to the airport and the Afghans with papers may not have rushed to the airport too?

Did people think the Afghan admin were going to be able to negotiate a government with the Taliban (as they have now, with a few token ministers from previous admin)

Why are RTE interviewing cousins of Irish citizens? What right have they to come to Ireland? Are RTE pushing for hundreds of family members of Irish citizens to be allowed to come to Ireland? If someone has 20 or 30 cousins do RTE think we need to do take them?

Probably just talking to anyone they can get on the phone out there but I’m guessing he’s hoping we’d take him.

Possibly the only person they could get but I wouldn't trust them an inch. They are always pushing the mass immigration and open borders lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Sure, going back in would be nightmarish, but I was talking about doing it properly in the first place.

A substantial number of soldiers overseeing an orderly withdrawal of US staff, Afghan staff, and then themselves, would be a lot better than what we did see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Interesting letter in the Irish Times today (Friday Aug 27) From a Lee Casey from Derry.

Wonder is he anything to the traveler/immigrant baiter Peter Casey, also from Derry? 😛

I think we should be told.

Sir, – Like many people I am greatly disturbed by the distressing scenes at Kabul airport.

The UK has agreed to accept 20,000 refugees. The Irish Government has said it will accept 200 people. A derisory offer that can hardly be described as showing generosity of spirit. – Yours, etc,

LEE CASEY,

Derry.

• Advertisement

Sir, As I’m sure you are aware our Scottish protestant immigrants didn’t integrate very well. Once we have that situation resolved we will investigate the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Well they gave us Republicanism so we should be grateful for that, shouldn't we?

It also gave us Sinn Fein so swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

reminds me of the documentaries from Rory Stewart, the part where he sat together talking with old Mujaheddins and one said: Allah and the UN supplies us with the things we need...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

That's what RTE call news... they have no heavy-weight reporters...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Things don't work that way in the real world. You cannot just tear up a previously signed deal negotiated over many months with a second party and alter it as you wish. If Biden had tried to alter any part of Trump's deal with the Taliban, it's likely that the Taliban wouldn't have cooperated at all with the Americans, or would have insisted on a renegotiation phase to make sure they weren't getting screwed. And aside from a few incidents, they actually have been cooperating because they are only interested in getting the Yanks (and their friends) out.

Biden has to own his part of the blame for this and that's what "the buck stops here" means. But, yes, his hands were very much tied to the deal that was put in place by the previous administration. This is a deal negotiated between two parties. It's not something he can simply alter willy nilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That was the plan put in place. When Trump signed this deal with the Taliban, the Afghan government weren't even at the table. They were simply told to sort things out between the Taliban and themselves later. That's how haphazard this thing was.

I suppose the idea was that the US pull out and leave the Afghan Army to duke it out with the Taliban. The US didn't reckon on the Taliban sweeping through 90% of the country because A. they think that Kabul is Afghanistan (it isn't), B. didn't reckon on possible Taliban support in the rural areas of the country and C. never contemplated an Afghan Army collapse.

There's also now a D. they completely ignored the problem of ISIS-K. Which as we've seen is proving to be a loss of life scenario, and it's more than likely that ISIS-K are behind the suicide bomb attack yesterday. I doubt that that will be the only one planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭thomil

That sounds nice on paper but wouldn't fly in real life if you pardon the pun. When you're dealing with a situation when you're evacuating civilians in the face of an advancing hostile force, there will always be more people trying to get on an evacuation flight than you'll have space to carry. This happened during Operation Frequent Wind in Saigon back in '75 and is now happening in Kabul.

That's why the area surrounding the airport is so packed in the first place. And no matter how many soldiers you deploy to secure the area, you'll get to a point when the outer perimeter of the airport will have to be abandoned because you simply don't have enough men to defend it anymore. Once the crowd realises that, once they see that the only flights still going out are the soldiers that were sent in to guard the evacuation, panic will inevitably set in. There will be a rush out onto the airfield and towards the runways, and I'm afraid over the next few days, we will see a repeat of the scenes we had earlier, with people clinging to the outside of C-17s and the like. That has nothing to do with proper or improper planning but is simply a result of the human psyche.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

had the West they recalled their own citizens earlier there would atleast be a few less thousand people coming to the airport in the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I still can't get my head around the guys hanging on to the outside of the plane. Did they seriously think they'd be able to come safely through that?🤐

Advertisement