Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

I think solicitors would prevent that happening as in the worst case scenario if the soon to be owner burns it to the ground, the current owner remains liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Sorry I might have worded that wrong, I don't mean the vendors/buyer exchanging keys before final closing, I mean has it ever happened that the final closing (down to the keys being made available) be completed before the agreed closing date. Ie. banks etc get everything done earlier than thought?

Again, probably wishful thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Yeah I'd say it can happen. There was talk of my sale earlier in the year closing a few days earlier than anticipated as it suited all parties but ultimately there were a few last minute delays which pushed it to the original closing date.

I think more often than not though the sale closes after the original closing date specified in the contract unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Thanks. Hopefully not much later, I've agreed with my landlord to be out of here on the day of closing! (end of the month, and he has a tenant due to move in who has already been more than accommodating with all the delays so far).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

When I was in with my solicitor yesterday to sign my contract she asked was I in a position to close earlier and I said yes. The original date I had been told would be three weeks from the time she received contracts back from the vendor's solicitor, so I don't know does that mean they will agree an earlier closing date or just set a date and then do the actual closing before that date, assuming everything is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 popeyed2

How are you getting on with PTSB? Just heard from our broker that they are requesting confirmation of funds, which was sent to them already. Seems to be standard play for PTSB. Kicking the can down the road for another week.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

Best of luck! We finally got an offer after 5 weeks at 65k under asking 🤔 Not sure what we’re doing wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11 crashbang1

Struggling... Been told on three different occasions now since the 23rd July that the property is approved and that the loan offer should issue shortly. No timelines available for them actually sending out the loan offer and end of the month getting very close to have some kind of forward momentum to keep vendors happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 popeyed2

Keep chasing! Show no mercy!!

To update where we are: we got our loan offer on the 10th/11th as I had hoped we would in an earlier post. We signed it on the 13th with our solicitor. She had everything ready to go in terms of the legal documents and sent in the requisition form at that stage. PTSB only opened that package and checked off all the documents on their portal yesterday. Our broker is very on it and could see this happen from his side on his intermediary portal. He also noticed at this point they had not crossed off the balance of funds check box so he emailed me this morning to follow up. My solicitor confirmed it had been sent and so he chased it with the bank and they have signed off on it now. At this stage, he tells me it can all happen very fast for transfer of funds to our solicitor (48hours, not including the weekend). This is of course, if they don't find any issues when they do a final sweep of our documents etc.

We had already provided insurances, mandates, new payslips and statements and a covid waiver after we received the letter of offer and before we signed the loan pack with the solicitor. And so the broker was able to make sure that each document was registered as they were provided. I think this is one of the main benefits of a broker, the process is a bit more transparent to him than to a bank customer. Particularly when it comes to spotting potential blockages. That and not having to spend hours on the phone trying to get through to someone to ask a question. Obviously the broker needs to be very reliable also.

But eitherway, someone needs to be checking in with the bank every day making sure they are not sitting on an issue for days before you even hear about it and can start sorting it out and they press the 10 day wait button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

We're about to put our 2 bed apt in Dublin 7 on the market- we've worked hard to get the place looking well, just need to give it a proper deep clean.

We've been watching similar properties in our area fly off the market, so hoping we'll get a decent and quick sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

don't mind the 5 weeks, these 3 in august many ppl are on hols, and last week in July was too hot ... but look for some feedback from the EA, was there anything odd discussed with the buyer to made them think this is a reasonable offer (rather than offensive) (could it be that you got a wrong EA ? )

• cause for example, some think EAs should share following with the buyers - "Most sellers ‘round-up’ their asking price to allow for some negotiation, but if you go in too low, you could risk offending them. Your estate agent should be able to give you some indication of what they think the seller would accept and advise you of any other bids made on the property. You can then go in with your own offer for an amount you can genuinely afford." - from https://www.topmortgages.ie/mortgage-advice/making-an-offer-on-a-house-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jood22

if by that you mean bringing external objects to improve the interior design then the answer is no. we decluttered lots of stuff (indoor/outdoor), lots of time was spent by himself improving the outdoor (things got refreshed/painted, garden seems bigger and really neat). - I am by myself in the house atm, it is easier to keep things tidy - no hassle before viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

We got in one day earlier if that's any use!

Funds requested for the Friday, final checks went ahead on a Monday and funds issued on the Tuesday. They must have hit our solicitors account faster than anticipated as he emailed on the Thursday to say he could get us the keys that day if we wanted them - we very much did want them after 10weeks waiting on probate to be granted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm 3 months to the day sale agreed and nearly at the finish line, it's just insurance that's holding me up, which I wasn't expecting because I thought I was a fairly "easy" candidate in that regard (healthy, non-smoker, etc).

Insurance company has requested that I get blood tests done due to family history. Which would have been good to know a few weeks back rather than the last few days of closing. Was hoping to get keys next week but now it will be a case of however long these final checks take. Fingers crossed for everyone else trying to close sales, it's a slog.

in my case, I was saled agreed very soon in july, then the buyer pulled out after passing the inspection/bank evaluation (personal reasons, whatever that means); now viewings are starting to pick up after the holiday - but my thinking is that whoever is meant to take this house will.

I have an offer in since the viewing on Monday - it’s under the valuation I got but over the asking price ( I don’t know why agents do that ) another viewing on Saturday but I hope to wrap this up quickly

• Advertisement

anyone can share how long is to get mortgage approval from AIB these days ? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

After looking for well over a year we've just gone sale agreed on a real fixer-upper in an area we love.

Now for the really stressful parts! The house needs work (wiring, new plumbing, new boiler, new windows etc) but hoping the bank won't have a problem with that.

Engaged solicitor, surveyor, etc so fingers crossed this all goes through. With such a high % of sales falling through I'm trying not to get too excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Navy blue

Does anyone have any insight on how the exemptions to the 20% deposit are granted?

Our situation is that we have gone sale agreed on a property that is less than our AIP amount but needs a bit of work to suit our needs (needs an attic conversion to give us an extra bedroom and bathroom) We can comfortably afford the mortgage regardless of whether we get 80% or 90% but I have applied for an exemption to the 20% deposit as the 10% we save would be a big help towards getting the attic conversion done. We are getting our mortgage through BOI and the advisor I am dealing with didn't dismiss it out of hand but said it had to go through a different section of the mortgage team which it is currently doing.

I am just wondering how they decide the exemptions, do they give it to people who otherwise couldn't afford a house and thus maximise the amount of mortgages they give out? Or is it more on a risk assessment on how likely the borrower can repay the 90%?

I figure if it's the former, we haven't a hope but if it's the latter we may have some chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

We had the exact same query as you, same situation, with BOI. We could afford the purchase whether we put down the 20% or the 10%.

Our advisor was able to offer us an exemption (I think originally we said we wanted to put down 15% instead and so we could keep the rest of the deposit for the needs of the house). This was about 3-4 months ago. My impression was that they hadn't got through their exemption quota for 2021 yet and so they actually approached us to offer us one. In your case, it may be that at this time of year, an exemption may be harder to get as they may be gone. The advisor won't be able to answer whether an exemption is guaranteed right now, which is why they have referred it to another part of the team (I actually think it was the underwriters for us, but I could be wrong).

We didn't take the exemption in the end, so that's all the information I can offer you. Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭deise121

tired of being gazumpted by investor cash buyers. do homeowners really not give a **** about people with young families? i've offered more than 15k on three properties than cash buyers but they went with them instead

Thanks so much for your reply! That's really helpful. It's not the end of the day if we don't get it, but it would be nice to have a bit extra to put towards the renovations. So fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

It is very frustrating alright. Are you a cash buyer or on a chain?... we are currently selling and our preferred buyer is an FTB or cash buyer (anyone not in a chain really). All the bidders so far are either FTB, cash buyer, or have completed sale of their property and have mortgage approval for the remainder of the amount... I asked the EA to make a note who are the investors and who are families. I prefer to sell to families out of respect to our nice neighbours as I wouldn’t know what kind of tenants the investor will put in once sold to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

Another reason the investors are preferred as buyer is because they are usually not in a rush to close. This suits sellers who are on a chain it gives them that valuable convenience to close the sale when their purchased property is ready to close.

• Advertisement

We are the same, we are putting our house on the market next week and would prefer FTB or cash buyer. I am determined not to sell to an investor, but it's very hard if they are willing to go more money and you need every penny to purchase your next house. Morals could go out the window if we get an attractive offer!

Advertisement