Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Just bought a bottle yesterday, I'm enjoying it actually. It doesn't taste like a particularly old whisky but very sweet and tasty with the port barrels.

Someone else mentioned Glendronach earlier on the thread, I got a present of a Glendronach 15 last month and it's fab. Proper Highland style whiskey, had been looking for a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadal but couldn't find it in stock anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm off down to the FIL's in Sligo the 'mara.

A friend of his was due to visit in a couple of weeks and as a result he'd gotten in a few bottles... the friend has since Covid'd and can't come to Ireland, so I'll have to partake in some unexpected tastings.

And given the the fact that these two play a different socio-economic game, I'm rather trepidatious of what's ahead of me!

Now, not in the sense that @Cazale would be nervous with his FIL's choices, you know, an excited kind of trepidation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

2 for my list, thanks…….the dingle is growing on me, loving it more and more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The missus likes her fancy gins. The Mother in law has some god awful cheap gins in the collection which would make the whiskey on offer seem good in comparison. How did your trip go?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Recently I was at an Indian wedding and there was a lot of Johnny Walker going.

I still like the nose on the JW black a lot, but the rest of it I find so so.

The JW gold however is another story- can definitely recommend it, feels like a step up, very well balanced across the board.

On the way back in (UK airport) I got the Lagavulin 16 at 43 gbp as planned. Excellent value, far and away compared to what else was around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

Was in Donegal last week & looked up the sliabh liag distillery. Was closed for tours but got a few samples of their regular & peated dark silkie. Regular was ok a bit medicinal to me ( new enough to whiskey scene so apologies for lack of detail). Really liked the peated though, only peated I have tried before was teelings blackpitts single malt & not gone on it, find it harsh. From reading this thread before is the teelings one more heavily peated than the dark silkie. Will probably get a full bottle of the dark silkie at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Anyone joins the Middleton Barrel club and was it worth it?

What kind of bottles did you get every qtr?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Iv only received the welcome pack which was a Jameson Distillery Exclusive bottle. Nothing else has arrived yet not even the samples so its a little early to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,976 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I see that Waterford are releasing a cuveé - a blend of malts from 25 different farms - claiming it as Waterford's definitive expression.

Does that not seem like they are dismantling all the work they put into the whole idea of single origin being superior?

Well, a friend of mine did an online tasting with Waterford back in March, and afterwards he sent me a message saying the guy on from Waterford said their plan was to release their first blend (Does that imply others to come?) in 'the Autumn', and it was to be called Cuvee.

I was going to post it here, but it seemed too secondhand and I thought he might have it arseways.

Looks like it's going ahead though, and the RRP is €150.

https://waterfordwhisky.com/element/pilgrimage/

• Advertisement

Gifted a bottle of Redbreast 21yo for my b'day today...so that's my weekend sorted 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

That post is from March 2020? There was already a Cuvee release, is this a new one?

Now that I look I see there may have been one or more. I was actually responding to The Beer Revolution's post, jogged my memory on what my friend told me. But old news, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Ah sorry, I completely missed the context of your post whatever way I read it.

All good, you were right .. this doesn't seem to be a new thing for them anyway.

Anyone tried the cuvee that was available earlier in the year in comparison with the terroir bottles?

I'm imagining there wasn't that much difference, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Here’s one to ruffle the feathers: came across the concept of fat-washing spirits, and as we speak I have some Jim Beam infusing with truffle oil. Will be using in cocktails, but interested to hear if others have tried the technique…

I've had the full-fat Old Fashioned at the Hawksmoor a few times, I guess that's the limit of my experience.

Gifted a Teeling Renaissance 3… Ironically one I recommended recently, although I’m not a big Irish whiskey fan these days. Debating whether to keep or swap for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The finish the really just the evaporation in the back of the mouth. Probably a skill on itself to get it back there without swallowing.

I’d wonder in this tastes towards the end tend to increase in average score.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm thinking of designing and selling whisky glasses online. I have a few ideas but is there anything that anyone would like to see that they haven't seen on the market?

• Advertisement

I have a decent glassware collection.

At the top end what makes the Baccarat and J Hill glasses I have feel premium is their weight, the beauty of the cutting and the thinness of the glass at the lip. The Baccarat are in a league of their own. These are all rocks glasses / tumblers.

I have a rake of low end Glencairn style glasses and although optimised for nosing they are let down by their fragility and lack of heft in the hand, they just feel cheap compared to properly heavy glassware.

Got a few basic Norlan whisky glasses and again very lightweight and oddly thick at the rim, a bit off putting.

I don’t know what the gap in the market is, is there room for a heavyweight mid range rocks glass that is less expensive than the top end, but significantly weightier than the low end?

For me Irish made, Irish distributed would be a big selling point. I would always be prepared to pay extra for that.

What are you thinking of doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Do you have any online already?

Im not really into glasses, mostly use a glass that some chocolate spread came in because its the right size, but i really dont like the stem ones even though they are good for getting a full nose

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I had a bit of a glass collection when I was younger. Mostly cheap promotional crap. In the last few years I’ve picked up a few Riedel type wine glasses and there’s a world of difference.

I’d echo some of the above, that a weighted bottom adds a feeling of quality (same as any product). And a thin wall/rim is better as it should feel almost not there - think of drinking from a chunky plastic beaker. Although I’d add that the Norlan is intentionally the opposite to that. Lightweight, double walled, which makes no sense to me for a drink you have at room temp, or even slight warmed my the hand.

I think the high end is very established, would be hard to challenge that. And there’s lots of cheap crap. So what’s the USP in the mid range.

I have a background in design and had a projects that included custom glassware and bar items. I there’s scope to fit in, but manufacturing cost where high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Thanks for the responses so far. One of the competitors I was looking at was Norlan, (they produce their products in house which is clearly a business model to their advantage but they do seem to produce some defects and the design seems to be all style and no substance in some cases). I was looking at their one star reviews for inspiration.

I'm at the very early stages, I have a meeting set up with an advisor and I am creating a mock up design of a 'flag ship' product. I have an idea of who I would approach for branding but these are all big ifs. I am partially inspired by some historic designs of pottery and glassware that I have seen and I'll be delving further into that research for inspiration. The heavy tumbler glass and the shorter copita seem to be a popular product. Myself I just have glencairns and a tuath. So far this is all a pit pie in the sky but happy to give a design a go and speak with a couple of advisors to determine whether it's a runner or not.

Had some coconut washed Poitin recently in Galway. It was lovely stuff.

Went to a whiskey bar in Belfast earlier. Some really interesting and never to be seen again whiskeys on display. Bottles of Bailey's whiskey, dream casks, rare Cooley etc. Got talking to the barman/owner of the place. Usually that means an interesting chat and maybe even a free sample or two. Not this fella. He refused to even entertain the idea of getting any whiskey for me. The ones on the top shelf are a health and safety issue to get to and he has no place for a ladder. Nobody buys whiskey anymore he said. Tis no wonder. I got an IPA and left defeated.

I don't understand how he could be the owner and have that stock, and yet be uninterested in it... A bit of an about face as I presume at some point he had the opposite view, to get it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Has anyone tried the Bushmills American Oak Bourbon Finish? Spotted it in Tesco today for €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Is it possible they are just there for show, and the liquid has been drank/replaced?

• Advertisement

I would have gladly spent a small fortune on a few whiskeys so its a strange business strategy. I looked up reviews and your man who owns it is a Northern mad lad who thinks he's deadly craic abusing tourists for the amusement of the regulars. In one review a fella asked could his wheelchair bound friend use the toilet and the owner told him there was a sink behind the bar that he normally washes vegetables in that he could use. Had I read that before I wouldn't have darkened the place. I drank Belfast dry for two days so it didn't interrupt me too much!

Advertisement