Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Based on what Bill Fuller said in his statement.

The Gards should be put on trial for their disgraceful and bias prejudice during the initial investigation. The amount of genuine leads not followed up, ignored, or not acted upon is borderline criminal in itself.

The fixation on Bailey was unwarranted. The manipulation of witnesses pressed to place Bailey in the vicinity is corruption at the highest level.

This thread summed up perfectly. The gardai were 'on trial' for the way the investigation was conducted, IB brought them to court himself and it's been discussed at length. He lost, the judge said the gardai would have been derelict in their duty if they had not arrested him as the suspicion was so strong. You can draw people's attention to the facts over and over again but you still see this kind of illogical nonsense. It's like a collective case of goldfish memory.

Wait, what? I've read the book I think you must be referring to, I've already said I don't find the 'missing link' claimed to have been found near the end of the book very convincing at all. Sorry to disappoint you.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Can someone tell us what the "missing link" is so I can keep my €15?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CowgirlBoots

• Advertisement

Only a very rare and select group of people had ever heard of Kali in 1996. There was Sophie, a few Hindus, oh and anyone who may have watched an obscure arthouse movie named Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

So Bailey mentioning Kali is absolute proof that he knew Sophie. How else could he have heard about it?

I can't believe that Nick Foster is making money on such shite. What an arse.

Has anyone read any of the other books? Death in December and A Dream of Death. Are they worth a read and without bias?

Death in December is rubbish. Anti Bailey one sided with fictional account of the murder implying it was someone like Bailey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

I read A Dream of Death and thought it was good.

I would say yes. He is very sympathetic to Sophie's parents as they get older and want to see justice but I also think he feels sorry for Bailey and Jules having this hanging over them for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Do you really believe the murder investigation was handled correctly & professionally..??

Do you?

Seriously?

I can only assume you are a fervent fan of the series Kestone Cops - But I can assure you, that is not how real investigations are conducted.

Nope, even worse I'm afraid. Much misinformation and basically fiction.

Interesting.....French President Emmanuel Macron has said a new trial could be arranged for Ian Bailey if he travelled to France.

https://twitter.com/IrishMirror/status/1430938095411728384?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

President Macron was asked about the case today in Dublin he said a new trial could be arranged if the suspect (Bailey) would give himself up and travel to France.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Yep, typical of the French & our spineless Taoiseach to even consider this. Is this whats really pressing at their talks? ffs. A new trial, he hasnt even been charged for gods sake in the country this crime happened in.

The sooner that little weasel Macron & his grandma go back to France the better. Also, the sooner Fianna Fail realise MM is going to finish their party for good the better, he needs to be gotten rid of immediately. I can only imagine Haughey for all his faults back in the day would have told Macron where to go.

It must be at least a little bit tempting for Bailey to negotiate a fresh trial in France. We all know that he likes the attention and a chance to clear his name and perhaps go on to sue for damages, especially in the situation he now finds himself in - homeless, ageing and alcoholic, must be something he would dream about.

It would be a massive gamble however since the French justice system seems to be ridiculously biased against him.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭solasGael

In Foster's book, Bailey floats the possibility with the cameraman of confessing to a crime of passion.

Post edited by solasGael on

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

After all this time I’m beginning to feel very sorry for Mr. Bailey, I downloaded the DPPs report and would advise anyone remotely interested in this case to do likewise.

However.

the latest episode of west cork broadcast, episode 14, reveals that male DNA was found on Sophie’s body, on her boots to be specific… Not Ian Baileys !!!!

Surely this info should Change Everything.

As far as I can make out, the DNA was not identifiable ie. there was not a complete profile but there was enough there to specify it was male. It doesn't really change anything since it was on her boot and there's no reason to think the killer ever needed to touch her boots. It makes no sense. It's probably from when her boots were pulled off during the autopsy.

The DPP report is mostly nonsense. They got the location of the studio wrong, either incompetently or deliberately, to make it sound like IB's original 'alibi' might be considered truthful when it wasn't. It doesn't mention that five people saw IB up close in a well lit bar over the course of the night of the murder and none saw the obvious scratches that many witnesses saw after the murder. It regards many witness as unreliable when their testimonies were vindicated by Judge Moran in court. It falsely claims Jules Thomas was arrested illegally and therefore any incriminating statements they made would be inadmissible, this was not the case. It says IB agreeing to give hair and DNA samples indicated innocence when a man had been justly convicted for rape and murder after volunteering his DNA sample to gardai before the DPP report was written.

It's also very condescending about the people of West Cork, it says they seems to be especially 'suggestible' and eager to please the gardai, yet this hardly prevents prosecution of notorious gangsters and other high profile killers.

I think the bare faced diplomatic cheek of Macrons comments is being completely overlooked because of the Bailey media circus.

Macron is basically saying that the Irish justice system is a failure so the French system should take over. And we just accept that. It's a slur on our legal system and a very direct doplomatic insult. If it was the other way around Martin would be very publically rebuked by Macron for suggesting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 prefab_stout

Jeez this thread has turned into a bit of an Ian Bailey love in! I'm guessing Ian himself is at least one of the posters on this thread right?

Join away the Ian Bailey appreciation facebook page all you like. There are two reasons I won't be joining and by the way I have no idea who committed the crime so I will go along with innocent until proven guilty.

He has repeatedly beat his partner to a pulp.

He has brought most of the attention on himself. Sarcastically telling people he did it on multiple occasions. Come on, this is an unsolved crime where the victim was brutally murdered, you are suspected of said crime (rightly or wrongly). What do you do? Have a bit of humility, keep the head down, aid the investigation as best you can? Or... how about, for the laugh, going round the place telling people you did it, courting all publicity possible. Keeping yourself in the spotlight for all these years. How about coming up with a few theories on the murder... French hitman anyone? Sophisticated drug ring involving Alfie and Leo (this one made me laugh). Local detective in the speeding Fiesta...etc.

I think it's time for Bailey to take a step back. An innocent man like him has no reason to be throwing allegations towards other people. I hope the murderer is found and convicted in her parents lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CowgirlBoots

Why? It doesn't really change anything. DNA on a boot doesn't mean it's from the killer. A Guarda could have left it there, one of the people who loaded the body into the hearse, someone at the hospital/morgue - get the drift?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

He's living in an area where the gards have continually tried to frame him for murder for 25 YEARS!!! where locals have turned against him because of lies spread by the gards and also promises made to them by said local gards. He had a problem with alcohol before this happened, its fair to say over the last 25 years that he became a full blown alcoholic considering whats been happening to him. He probably lost his mind a little bit too, it would be completely understandable if he did. He was also an investigative journalist and one of the first on the scene so he's well positioned to come up with his own theories as everyone else is.

Just because you would keep the head down and aid the investigation doesnt mean its the right thing to do. I think in fact, Bailey speaking to the media helped his cause, people saw his point of view. As for aiding the investigation, I dont know about you but I certainly wouldnt be aiding an investigation that was deliberately trying to frame me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think I read the sample was a blood sample, not DNA cells - could be wrong on that.

So contamination that way should not be happening.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Surely any DNA collected was collected at the scene rather than in the hospital?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement