Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year olds able to change gender in Scotland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

I have. Some have very clear ideas about sex/gender (obviously they don't talk about the concepts themselves), others don't seem to give a ****.

a 4 year old barely knows that it is human. And there’s plenty of young kids who have expressed a preference for being the other sex because they perceive their parents as being closer to a new child - if that child is the opposite sex - because they see that as the reason. Or a girl may want the freedom of her male siblings. This is a world away from adult gender dysphoria.

you don’t have to defend everything, you know.

I assume you campaigned against the "girls are full of sugar and spice and all things nice" nursery rhyme so.

What a pointless comment. I'm not defending everything, I'm defending specific things. Could equally say after all of your posts: "you don't have to argue against everything you know".

A four year old may not have deep analytical thoughts in humanity but in my experience a 4 year old extremely clearly knows the difference between a person and an animal and that they are like other people and not like animals. Just because they can't take part in an internet debate on the issue doesn't mean they have barely any conception of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Except that trans people have to be at least 18 before they can have sex change surgery

I know you didn't. I did. The argument you are making is the same used against gay people for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

Funny the only person posting anything that could be considered bullying is yourself. Scumbag bastards? Sick perverted freak? all things you've called people in this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am not making an argument. I was asking a question from a position of ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭francois

It isn't law. Some of the more excitable posters seem to think this is some legal requirement. It pays to read beyond the clickbait headlines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Thread has been reviewed and quite a few posts have been deleted, either for being completely off topic or for containing abuse aimed at other posters. If you wish to discuss this topic do so in good faith and without abusive or insulting posts

@eskimohunt several posts about astralgender has been deleted. This seems to be a recurring go-to topic in any gender related threads you post in and you have referenced it extensively in many other threads. It is not relevant in this thread - do not bring it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@km991148 "This isn't about brainwashing kids, it's about providing support for those struggling"

Do you understand the struggles 4 year old children have ,

Counting 1-10

All 27 letters of the alphabet

What treat will be in my lunch box.

Where's my teddy.

Am I going to big school now ......

Gender reassignment isn't definitely not one of them ......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

It would be lovely if life could be simplified like this, but really this is not reality.

It really is.

It's nonsense to claim otherwise.

Thread done, QED then?

Your opinion is at odds with what is happening in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Or your wishful thinking. Kids of 4 barely recognise that it is an outlet for urine, let alone anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

I'm all for neutering these folks. Let them do what they want.

Yes, that's one opinion, but the science shows otherwise on this* (I find the irony quite amusing really as often the name of 'science and biology' is used to deny the rights of trans people).

*i.e. that gender may be determined far earlier than thought and that 4 year olds could know exactly what it is to them.

EDIT: I just reread, are you talking about genitals in relation to gender? I think we are getting off topic to the thread but that's not really the determining factor these days. But I think that's out with the scope of the thread.

Well I guess the physical harm is different to the psychological harm?

Or is this a threat against the policy makers?

Do you often want to physically harm those that you disagree with or don't understand?

• Advertisement

It's not.

Boys and girls are absolutely not interchangeable in real life. They are very different and absolutely should not be left to believe otherwise, especially by people who are supposed to educate them.

What you described (boys and girls being interchangeable) is at best an over simplification or just plain not happening.

Neither is the "leading them to believe otherwise" / encouragement.

People who are trans exist. Evidence is beginning to show that this happens from a young age, possibly before birth or even genetics (biology, for those fans of using that line).

i.e. it's not encouraging boys to 'become' girls or vice versa, but supporting those that do have an issue with their gender.

What would your propose in these cases? The usual? Get them to suppress this and cause other firms of psychological harm? Because this is the reality. I firmly believe you are completely wrong with this "encouragement" line and it's seems to be policy makers think the same (or have these people been played as well? Seems a bit unlikely tbh?).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

According to who exactly.....

I think you have no real idea of what kids are actually like ,

To think you believe that 2-4 year olds are worrying about gender identity ,

Nonsense

Cool. I respect your right to have an opinion, but there is a growing body of research, and it's really not that hard to find (hint tho: it won't be in the daily mail, unfortunately).

It's basic biology really that trans people exist and yes, children are aware of it. I don't see why people get so upset by this? Why does this bother you exactly?

A growing body of theories, and research.. but research in itself rarely proves anything. For decades, even up until fairly recently, research on the various Trans issues was considered to be a mental illness, and while they recognised the incredibly small numbers who were genuinely trans, for anyone who fell outside those categories or accepted views, they would be considered mentally ill.

It's not that long ago either that research from the social sciences (with it's links to psychology) was deemed as being progressive and helpful, until it was shown the biases that exist regarding peer related approval, and many of the BS ideas that were "accepted" as being true, but based on dodgy methodologies.

The simple truth is that it's far too early to prove anything when it comes to trans, although TBH I suspect it would make things better if Trans wasn't used as an umbrella term to include just about everything under the sun, and didn't shift in terminology and meaning every few weeks.

It's basic biology that some Trans people exist naturally. However, it's also simple logic that many who claim a kind of trans status are not trans (per the original meaning), or have been led to believe they are by external influences. This is especially true when it comes to minors.

Question for you. Having seen the variety of Trans related media, and advertising to promote Trans beliefs/rights, do you honestly believe that children aren't being convinced of being <insert> due to the interests and wishes of the adults around them? And if that's possible... in terms of numbers do you think that there would be more naturally born trans people than those who have been convinced or made to feel unsure about their gender due to external influence, ie. teachers, parents, influencers, peer pressure, etc.

I take your points about evolving research (paraphrasing a bit as I'm short on time) but that is the nature of research.

Re the question, you don't specify <insert> but generally, I don't believe that kids are being encouraged to be something they are not.

And specifically in this case, I don't think there is an agenda, simply an option to provide support to people who do feel their gender is not one of the binary (mainly) options aligned to their sex (which if I understand correctly, you accept that there are people who fall under this category).

I'd like to go into that in more detail, but sun shining (and I didn't want to ignore your genuine question)! For later perhaps.

That;s cool. I understand completely. 😁

Yeah like.. it's boards.ie lol, there is stuff outside 😆

But what exactly do you mean by gender? Is it conflated with sex?

An issue with gender? Well isn't it a social construct? How can you have an issue with something that is indefinable?

If it isnt related to biological sex, then why are there no visible cases of people needing to transition from pangender to trigender? If there are infinite genders and gender is fluid, then would schools have to accept a 4 year olds new pronouns as and when they demand? If a 5 year old creates a new gender, should teachers accept it as reality?

A human male child is a boy. Biologically. That cannot be changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

4 year olds are not anywhere near puberty. Why would they be given hormone treatment?

i have 2 girls and a boy aged 8 10 and 12. They have never expressed even the slightest interest in changing gender, but if they were obviously distressed and came to me or confided in someone else that they were deeply unhappy being the gender they were assigned at birth, I would listen to them and take their feelings seriously and get expert advice on the matter

at aged 4 there are no long term decisions to be made other than to let your child express them self. Trying to force them to be something they’re not comfortable with is more likely to do harm than good in the short and long term. There are a lot of suicides attributed to sexual preferences and gender identities not being accepted by parents leading to feelings of hopelessness and self loathing

Advertisement