Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

First thing I thought off is how many people will get rid of Bruno in fantasy with Ronaldo cannibalising pens and free kicks away from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The last week of this window summed up I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will City now just go and give BVB £150m for Haaland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Did City basically just drive his wage demands up by pulling out, almost forcing him on United?

That sounds like I’m writing him off as poor business if he goes to United, but I’m not. He’ll be terrific for them and potentially have them involved in the title race towards the end of the season. He won’t be as good as he was in 2009 of course but he’s still in top shape.

Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo is a stunning transfer window from United, if they can’t challenge for the title on the back of that then there has to be serious failings in management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

City are now screwed, having spent all summer trying to get Kane and getting told no.

Messi ends up in PSG after about 2hrs of negotiating.

Now CR7 is off to Utd but I always felt it wasn't a deal Pep wanted.

Great for the PL as it balanced the sides up a bit now without City getting a star #9 it means Pool, Utd Cheslea are closer to City's level as it stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

And dont you just love it.

The flat track bullies wont be winning anything with Jesus as their striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Absolutely right on the last point. If he does rejoin then we simply have to be involved at the sharp end of the season. OGS has been backed to the hilt this summer so he has nowhere to hide, this is very much his team now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hard to see what City can do now. Go all out for Haaland? Try for Lewandowski? Go for a less proven striker while they wait until next summer?

• This thread is an incredibly entertaining read over the last 10 or so pages. Good job Ronaldo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Griezmann still feels like a big potential problem solver there - if they can stomach his wages.

Otherwise, as you say, just a decent stopgap non-superstar.

Or, as we all hope, no-one at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd say that definitely kicked United into gear.

They were happy enough with Cavani the main striker with Greenwood and Rashford as backup and Martial as 4th choice.

Then Rashford needs surgery and Cavani say's he's going to play international games which rules him out of loads of games with quarantine.

Definitely need one more in. Then Ronaldo is linked to City so you know he's available and willing to go back to the PL so it makes it obvious to at least try a bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Dont worry about Bruno, he will be fine winning games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If it happens, has any PL manager ever had the attacking talent, on paper, that Ole has.

Maybe Utd's Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov team.

Ronaldo, Bruno, Rashford, Pogba, Sancho, Cavani, Martial.

Mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Don't Pep & Riaola despise each other? Might be a sticking block.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

You left out Greenwood too.

Oddly enough, I don't fancy United to be top scorers in the league this season even if they get Ronaldo. Time will tell of course.

I knew I forgot someone. and he's in my FPL team too.

even more mental a lineup so.

Poor auld Kane - this week might well go down as the major example of the benefits of proper representation. Where can he go from here? With Pep only having a year left next summer, and Kane a year older it's harder to see them going back for him. Utd also almost rule themselves out of him now with Ronaldo for 2 years and a developing Greenwood surely in pole position to take over the lead striking role there. Chelsea have Lukaku... so where could he go, while keeping alive his dream of becoming top PL scorer? Especially with Haaland available cheap next year too (along with Mbappe if PSG don't bite on Real's bid), so even a big move abroad looks unlikely. Could well see himself seeing out the prime of his career at Spurs.

At this stage he's pretty much dependent on someone being a flop somewhere, or Greenwood's development totally stalling.

Sky Italy: Manchester United offering Cristiano Ronaldo two-year deal worth £480,000 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I haven’t done the maths, but I reckon that’s only around half of what Sanchez was being paid.

Before bonuses, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Sky are watching his private jet on the runway in Lisbon, waiting for him to exit the plane.

Theyre speculating on whether he'll be carrying his own luggage.

Genuinely.

He’ll be carrying more than that once he signs for United.

Thought he was getting more than that off juve?

was on ~900k a year at Juve. I'd imagine he's getting some tasty image rights stuff and bonuses on top of his Utd wage though. And I guess it's fair enough to argue it down a wee bit given that he's 3 years older than when he signed his Juve deal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Have to be honest, earlier I was not sure how Ronaldo fitted in at city and that the owners must have wanted him.

Well even as a United fan I am not sure how Ronaldo fits in as a real need for United right now so must be an owners signing.

I do think he suits United more than City though. He does not need to be involved in the play at all and can wait for his moments. United are much more based on having players of quality doing things than a coach led system

I was not expecting it at all but I think Pep's earlier words that Ronaldo is one of the few players who dictates where he plays makes even more sense now with how quickly things appear to have come together on this.

Di Marzio saying it's £25m net so that would be more in line with his Juve salary.

If United move on Cavani, Martial and Lingard it probably goes a long way to covering his wages.

What I'd be looking at is will Ronaldo add more to the team over Cavani than Neves/Saul/Bissouma/Camavingha would over Fred or McTomany?

If yes then it's a good move. If no it could still work out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its about the story, not the glory.

Viva Ronaldo

• Advertisement

surely cavani stays after only just extending his contract this summer? But sure they're fairly loaded anyway, with big income, so wages won't be too much of a concern, especially on a short term deal where you know exactly what you're getting.

Apparently he's saying he's playing in all the international games which would mean 10 days quarantine after each international break. Then add in time to get back up to fitness and he's basically ruling himself out of a large chunk of games before Christmas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Personally I don't think any of those midfield players improve United today as I think United's midfield problems centre on the way the teams is set up. They are not a side that are intrinsically linked to the coaching of their coach/manager in the way City, Liverpool or we now see with Chelsea.

Ole operates more in ideals than a massively influencing his side through coaching.

If United were to get improvements in that area the players would have to be of such a level that their qualities shine right through and leave the manager with no choice but to respond to and utilise those qualities.

he's not needed. but he's not going to Utd because he's needed.

it's a swansong. it's romance. it's a lovely story for the fans.

and it's a brilliant story for the Premier League. and, as if it wasn't fascinating already, it's made things even more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's a great nostalgia return. Will it work out as well as his last stint? I'd be very surprised tbh, but I'm still pleased he's back. It would have been tough to watch him in a City kit, and it would have tarnished his legacy at United to some extent.

saw that alright... might be hard to shift him at this stage though, under the circumstances. high wages, missing games, and fresh contract.

Would nearly need to be a Sanchez-esque loan him out and pay half his wages type deal or something..

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

anyone trying to poke holes in this signing is clutching at straws tbh.

I'm absolutely **** gutted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Mad 24 hours and mental transfer window

It's great drama.

It's good to have panto villians in the PL and the ins and outs of the deal with City will make the first derby very interesting.

Sky will go into overdrive with the coverage and Utds social media will get mental interactions.

I don't know will it end in glory for Ronaldo, personally, City are, or were well ahead of Utd in terms of their squad but CR7 definitely is a huge weight in balancing things up.

Even when he's doing absolutely f**k all and not being involved in the build up and being on the peripherals of the game, he's still likely to poach a goal or get on the end of a cross after playing poorly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Ronaldo at 36 looks like he still has a lot to offer tbf. Will probably still score a load of goals and give a great boost around the place. No brainer but they still need a midfielder to challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Ronaldo to United

Varane to United

Sancho to united

Grealish to City

Messi and Ramos to PSG

Mbappe maybe to Real

White to Arsenal

Kane stays at Spurs

Mendy to prison

What a mental transfer window so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No excuses for Ole now he has to win the league or the champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

Youd imagine he’ll do well enough, he’s some athlete, but he’s 36, so I’m intrigued to see how Ole tries to manage him.

I don’t see him as some missing piece of the puzzle, though. Still would have Chelsea and city ahead of them for the league.

What's a good return for him? I initially thought 30 goals in all competitions but will that be enough to push for a title?

FPL managers with Bruno will be annoyed by the signing because it most likely means he's off pens and frees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Whatever about penos, Bruno should not let Ronaldo take over frees. He is a much better free taker.

Not sure he will have a choice though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats very true.

Ronaldo is rubbish at free kicks to say the least.

Will Ronaldo demand to start most games, it could be hard for Ole to refuse.

Up until about 12 months ago Ronaldo had more FK goals than Messi but that was from earlier in his career.

I was watching his best PL goals the other night and a fair few of the FKs, that Gks were brutal on and Given got beaten by about 4 of them. 😂

I'd say Bruno on FKs, Ronnie on PKs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Didnt realise there was a 4-season overlap where ronaldo and solskjaer played together for united - 2003-2007

amazing backing by the Utd board. incredible.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement