Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

This is where cancel culture might start coming in useful if someone can dig up dirt about Adams

And so it begins…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I misremembered that Colour Me Badd thing being no 1 for weeks but no mistaking the horror of week after week what was to come.

The sold out gig Bruno referenced - they really went on a meteoric rise for a few years. Had some great songs to back it up too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,884 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Gave that Gay Byrne Music Show a watch (didn't remember watching it at the time at all). Unbelievably dire - Paddy Cole excepted...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Quick midweek update

Tuesday BBC1 NI 10.35pm Neil Hannon - 30 years of the Divine Comedy (I thought this was excellent, well worth a look)

Wednesday RTE1 9.35pm Phil Lynott - Songs For While I'm Away (feature length proper film)

Charlie Watts RIP :(

:(

’Rolling Stones: Rock And Roll Circus’ on Sky Arts right now, in tribute to Charlie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

RIP Charlie Watts. The glue that kept The Stones together. For a global superstar, he pretty much lived his own life and fame never got in the way. Really sad news. 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

a very stylish and elegant guy, you have to wonder how drunk they got him to agree to do the cover of Get Yer Ya-Yas Out!

How do? That Phil Lynott Doc last night had the bombshell news that part of the audience noise on the Thin Lizzy Live And Dangerous Album was lifted from a David Bowie Gig. No repeat for that but it will probably end up on Sky or BBC before too long

All the old reliables in place this weekend and MTV are digging out some of their old Unplugged gigs as part of their anniversary celebrations (mostly on Sunday). I have listed some of them below but it's hard to keep with all their variant channels. You might be able to find some more here https://www.tvguide.co.uk/search.asp?title=MTV+Unplugged&submit.x=12&submit.y=24

** Late Update - Rolling Stones film 'Crossfire Hurricane' showing on BBC1 on Friday at 10.35pm for Charlie **

Thursday

8pm BBC Proms - Cheneke Orchestra with Jeneba Kanneh-Mason (BBC4)

12.15am Punk (Sky Arts)

Ep 2 A look at the impact of Ramones' visit to London in 1976, where they discovered a vibrant punk scene and launched a second British invasion of America. Iggy Pop narrates

Friday

7pm Johnny Cash Song By Song - Ring Of Fire and I Walk The Line (Sky Arts)

7pm BBC Proms 2021 - Joshua Bell's Seasons (BBC4)

8pm Classic Albums: The Who - The Who Sell Out (Sky Arts)

I think this is new

8.30pm & 1.30am Top Of The Pops 1991 - July 18 (BBC4)

Jackie Brambles presents the edition first aired on July 18 1991, featuring performances by Cathy Dennis, Little Angels, Kim Appleby, Londonbeat, MC Hammer, Heavy D and the Boyz, Natalie Cole and Nat 'King' Cole, Jesus Jones, Bryan Adams and Voice of the Beehive

9pm & 2am Top Of The Pops 1991 - July 25 (BBC4)

Mark Goodier presents the edition first aired on July 25 1991, featuring performances by the Shamen, Dannii Minogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, C&C Music Factory, Extreme, Cher, Frankie Knuckles, Morrissey and Bryan Adams

9pm Concert4Cancer 2021 (Virgin Media 1)

Ronan Keating's Charity Concert featuring Aslan, Ed Sheeran, Gary Barlow, Johnny Logan, The Riptide Movement, Soda Blonde, and Mike Denver.

9pm Jeff Lynne's ELO - Wembley Or Bust (Sky Arts)

This was previously on BBC2. A 2017 concert at Wembley Stadium in which the musician and producer was joined by his ensemble band to deliver a show filled with vintage ELO tunes such as Mr Blue Sky, Livin' Thing, and Evil Woman. Jeff also performs Do Ya from his days with the Move, as well as Handle With Care, which he recorded with the Traveling Wilburys

9.30pm & 2.30am When Bob Marley Came To Britain (BBC4)

Documentary examining the reggae superstar's relationship with the UK, and how his universal message of One Love and unity helped inspire a generation of young black British people. The film also takes a revealing look at how Marley spent his time while he was in Britain - the houses he lived in, football kickabouts in Battersea Park, and visits to the UK's growing Rastafarian community, including secret gigs in the north of England

10pm Abba - 30 Greatest Moments (Channel 5)

Followed at Midnight by Greatest Hits Of The Seventies

10.30pm Reggae At The BBC (BBC4)

A celebration of reggae performances from the BBC archive, featuring footage from programmes including Top of the Pops, Old Grey Whistle Test and Later with Jools Holland. Acts include Bob Marley & the Wailers, Gregory Isaacs, Desmond Dekker, Burning Spear, Althea & Donna, Dennis Brown and Buju Banton

10.35pm Rolling Stones - Crossfire Hurricane (BBC1)

Director Brett Morgen provides a new perspective on the Stones' unparalleled journey from blues-obsessed teenagers in the early '60s to rock royalty - a journey from the Marquee Club to Hyde Park, from Altamont to 'Exile and from club gigs to stadium extravaganzas. Featuring extensive historical footage, much of it widely unseen, with contemporary commentaries by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Ronnie Wood and former Stones Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor

11pm Sruth - Megan Nic Fhionnghaile & Pàdruig Morrison (TG4)

11.30pm Steve Miller Band - Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

Midnight Sounds Of The Seventies (BBC4)

Collection of archive performances by artists including Bob Marley and the Wailers, Susan Cadogan, the Specials, Ken Boothe, Steel Pulse, Dave & Ansell Collins, Althea & Donna and Janet Kay

12.25am Other Voices (RTE2)

featuring performances by Boy Azooga, Lucy Rose, Hayden Thorpe, Kit Philippa and 9bach

12.30am Reggae Fever - David Rodigan (BBC4)

The life of the German-born reggae broadcaster and radio presenter whose love affair with Jamaican music began in the 1950s, celebrating a man whose career is strangely intertwined with not only the evolution of such music in this country, but also the evolution of the culture

12.35am Supertramp Live In Paris 79 (Sky Arts)

Saturday

4.50pm The Beatles: Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years (Sky Documentaries)

5.05pm The Eagles Live From LA Forum (Sky Arts)

7.45pm Classic Albums: The Band - The Band (Sky Arts)

8.10pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)

Featuring The Three Amigos. I hope they do My Little Buttercup

9pm The Kinks - Echoes Of A World (Sky Arts)

The story of 1968 album The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society, which failed to chart upon release but went on to become one of the most influential works in rock

9.30pm The Heart Of Saturday Night (RTE1)

With performances by James Vincent McMorrow, Mick Flannery and Susan O'Neill, and Una Healy, and Louise and Michelle Mulcahy and Donal Lunny pay tribute to Liam O'Flynn.Last in Series

10pm Guitar Heroes At The BBC (Yesterday)

10.15pm Concert4Cancer 2021 (Virgin Media 2)

10.30pm-1.25am Classic Artists - The Moody Blues (Sky Arts)

11pm One Hit Wonders At The BBC (Yesterday)

11pm MTV Unplugged - Alicia Keys (MTV)

11.55pm Stormzy Live At Reading and Leeds 2021 (BBC1)

Midnight TOTP2 - Summertime Special (Yesterday)

Sunday

3pm Judy, Frank and Dean - Once In A Lifetime (Sky Arts)

4pm Frank Sinatra - The Vintage Years (Sky Arts)

5pm Dean Martin - A Legend In Concert (Sky Arts)

6pm Elvis Presley - A Legend In Concert (Sky Arts)

6.55pm Johnny Cash - A Legend In Concert (Sky Arts)

Old TV Show compilations and specials

5.20pm The Assassination Of John Lennon (Sky Documentaries)

5pm MTV Unplugged - Paul McCartney (MTV)

6pm MTV Unplugged - Elton John (MTV)

7pm MTV Unplugged - Alanis Morrissette (MTV)

8pm MTV Unplugged - Pearl Jam

7pm & 1am Imagine - This House Is Full Of Music (BBC4)

Doc about musical family the Kanneh-Masons. Followed at 8pm with them in the Proms

7.40pm Roy Orbison & Friends - A Black And White Night (Sky Arts)

In a programme first broadcast in 1988 - the year of his death - the singer performs his greatest hits, including Oh, Pretty Woman, It's Over and Crying. His backing band is made up of stars including Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, kd lang, Jennifer Warnes and Bonnie Raitt. The TCB Band which backs all featured artists was Elvis Presley's band until his death in 1977 and includes James Burton, Glen D Hardin, Jerry Scheff and Ronnie Tutt with musical drector T-Bone Burnett. Filmed at the Cocoanut Grove nightclub in Los Angeles

9pm Robert Plant - Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

9.30pm Sruth- Niall Hanna and Brìghde Chaimbeul (TG4)

10.15pm David Bowie - A Reality Tour (Sky Arts)

11.35pm Liam Gallagher At Reading and Leeds 2021 (BBC1)

BBC are not showing much of this festival on TV, it says here there will be live streams on the IPlayer if you can hack that

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007xt4m

11.35pm Isle Of Wight Festival - Foo Fighters and Jay-Z (Sky Arts)

So that's about that then, sad news about Charlie Watts this weeks. He pops up in a new Netflix Drumming Doc 'Count Me In' which most reviews seem to place in the "decent enough but not unmissable" bracket https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/stuff-to-watch/300392125/count-me-in-netflix-doco-offers-a-breezy-portrait-of-some-of-the-drumming-greats

Here is a quick look at Joe Strummer's Magnificent Tape collection

And here's a throwback to the days when Bord Bainne (The National Dairy Council?) would blow most of their budget on sponsoring the IRMA Milk Music Awards

Your man seems to be enjoying himself and Bono reveals that he made excuses to skip the Brits that year before giving an ode to Bainne

Bryan Adams's TOTP Reign Of Terror continues and he invades BBC1 at 6.20pm on Saturday to compound the misery, so instead here's a nice bit of harmonica action from Blues Traveler as featured at the end of Kingpin (Comedy Central Saturday 11.10pm).

Thanks Skid - The Who Sell Out is a great album and I would rarely listen to them. It is new and I'll be taping that.

There's a little known Stones documentary call Cocksucker Blues which is well worth a watch which I found on a dodgy site about fifteen years ago. It's probably still locatable in some places.

Cocksucker Blues is an unreleased documentary film directed by the still photographer Robert Frank chronicling The Rolling Stones American Tour 1972 in support of their album Exile on Main St.

The film came under a court order which forbade it from being shown unless the director, Robert Frank, was physically present. This ruling stemmed from the conflict that arose when the band, having commissioned the film, decided that its content was embarrassing and potentially incriminating, and did not want it shown. Frank felt otherwise, hence the ruling.

According to Ray Young, "The salty title notwithstanding, its nudity, needles and hedonism was supposedly incriminating and the picture was shelved—this during a liberal climate that saw the likes of Cry Uncle! and Chafed Elbows playing in neighborhood theatres." Deep Throat was released in the same year. A Rolling Stones concert film, Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones, was released instead, and Cocksucker Blues was indefinitely shelved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Thanks Skid. Some great stuff there. I'm away for a few days tomorrow. THe HDD is filling with stuff I haven;t time to watch. Shudda got a civil service job with early retirement and a pension.

Late addition to tonights schedules

10pm-10.30pm Charlie Watts At The BBC (BBC2)

Cerys Matthews looks through the archives to celebrate one of Britain's greatest drummers and his musical projects and passions. The tribute includes a Later… with Jools Holland performance from Charlie Watts' side outfit The ABC & D of Boogie Woogie, a recently recorded jazz session for BBC Four, and a Rolling Stones gem

TOPPERPOPPSCHE!!

Cathy Dennis, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Jackie Brambles FTW! As the kids say.............

Jakki Brambles fat-shaming Heavy D!

Boo-urns!

• Advertisement

Little Angels!

shudder

Hurry up, grunge!

Little Angels look harmless enough, but the bass player went on to be Ronan Keating's manager

Sorry, is all that he should say ...

:)

Do the song that goes ‘Shoo Pow Pow’ or GTFO!

Hard to believe The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld was released a few months before this absolute crap.

Londonbeat always looked like they were enjoying their brief spell in the spotlight

Mostly session musicians who had a few hits, Tony Fenton was always interviewing them.

They made a jingle for him

They later tried to represent Britain at Eurovision, never a sign that the career is flourishing

Props for Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman managing to walk from Dover to Nottingham (via Hadrian’s Wall) in one day.

:)

Never seen TOTP advertising audience tickets before, things are bad

I still use that W12 7RJ anytime I am chancing my arm on an English website and they ask for my postcode :)

• Advertisement

PLAY FRANKIE KNUCKLES!

Advertisement