Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Just been advised today that our planned return to the office has been put back from September 7th to at least October 5th.

Public sector and pro work from office CEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

About 2 years ago I was looking into IT contracting.

At the time no companies were interested in hearing from anyone who wanted to work some of the week remotely.

I'm looking again now and this time remote is the default position.

Remote is absolutely fine for contractors and even encouraged.

Looks like the return to office is happening next month, I imagine most of us will get formal communications about it over the next week. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit sad to see it end but c'est la vie.

(sorry if the formatting of the image isn't great, I'm not the most boards savvy)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Hopefully they make it fully optional for the first few weeks, in clear language that businesses can't misinterpret (i.e. everyone doesn't just become designated as an essential worker).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Irish Times have reported ( https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/office-working-and-confirmations-set-to-resume-within-weeks-1.4657671 ):

• Return to Office is "not going to happen straight away" but will happen "within weeks" in "September".
    • Eamon Ryan said "return to offices needs to start in September". (Why?)
    • Date to be confirmed next Tuesday.

Looks like office returns will be allowed from mid to end of September. No covid criteria to be applied after all.

I think this is totally unnecessary. The work can be done from home in most cases. Why rush this when Delta is rampant. Why not wait and see where we are at, at the end of September? With unvaccinated primary schools reopening, part vaccinated secondary schools reopening and in-person colleges resuming in September and the weather getting worse ... why add putting people in enclosed indoor offices often without masks to this risk pile?

Seems to me like we are adding unnecessary fuel to a fire when we don't need too right now.

• Advertisement

Think of all those poor coffee shop owners who want you back on the old slog so you can part with some of your cash while stuck away from home!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

And where’s Leo’s famous right to ask to WFH in the midst of all of this?

Agree with your sentiment on "Needs to start in September" Why is right especially coming from someone who comes from a party with environmentalism at the forefront of their agenda.

I was a bit tame in my earlier sentiment but I think going back in September/October is the opposite of what we should be doing and wouldn't be surprised if within 3 weeks we're told to stay at home again - someone mentioned this before but a staggered return after schools/colleges have opened would at least reduce the likelihood of having to lockdown in mid-late October.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Unless they are planning a full lockdown, once we're at the 90% vaccinated level, what other things are we waiting for? It's either open up or stay with restrictions forever, there will always be a reason not to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Think of all those people who have serious difficulties working from home and want to get back to having their employer provide their place of work, as set out in their contracts!

• Advertisement

For employees who can and prefer to wfh, the option should remain to wfh, those who want to work in the office should be also allowed to do so.

The past 18 months have proven that wfh is viable for most, but forcing people back to the office just "because" is really not the right approach!

Is that not the standard though in most companies. I’m only back 2 days a week permanently. Most large companies have already committed same to their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

My office are on about a phased return end of sept, maybe once a week or once every second week to get ppl used to coming back in again. TBF they sent anyone the could home around March 10 last year and have always taken a wait and see approach to office return but it looks like ill be going in maybe 3 per month oct - dec.

Its a big company that would be worried about reputational damage a lot so id say if they are starting a phased return late sept, many others are doing similar.

once a week in the office would be my preference going forward anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I'm forced back next week. Not looking forward to it. Will be on job hunt soon i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

Nphet to disband in October as employees expected to return to office from September

Offices back from 13th Sept. March 2022 was wishful thinking unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Any thoughts on how the public sector might manage this. In a body that will probably just follow what the parent department does. Will all departments approach this the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,502 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Heading back to the office next week....got mixed feelings about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

Hybrid working should be seen as a standard, but it is clear from some posters here that their employers don't see it that way as they try to enforce some form of presenteeism on their staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd broadly agree. The option to return to office working for those who need or want it seems to be missed in many plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The Sunday Times are reporting ( https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wear-masks-until-spring-urges-nphet-djmlbql0t ) that it is now thought likely that the date for allowing offices to return will be the last week in September. I guess that means 27 September. Sunday Independent still reporting 13 September. Irish Times implied that it would be 20 September. So it is anyone's guess if it will be 13 September or 20 September or 27 September. Guidance will also be issued. Hopefully around ventilation standards.

There is also the chance that cases will soar next month, as schools return, and the WFH guidance will be left in place as Israel and others have done.

All hope is not lost for a Spring 2022 return ... Regardless of when the restrictions are lifted, the reality is that many companies have already made their own decision, based on staff safety, and pushed back return dates. There is both a government date and a company date at play here, and it is difficult to see how companies can deem it safe to put their staff in enclosed shared-airspace offices until after Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

My wife is being forced to return to office from 1st September!!! It’s an aircraft leasing company which is very well known and they are not entertaining anyone to wfh even though all have done so from March 2020 with high productivity. The double kicker is that they are not making masks in the office mandatory!!!! This has to be unsafe especially as all staff returning same day. The c suite managers must have no cop on at all. She’s only on a 12 month contract and so far has wfh for 99% it’s totally not logical to just let contract finish out remotely. HSA should be involved for the safety issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

That's ridiculous considering it's approaching two years since most started WFH. I really don't get some of these management decisions. Their finger isn't on the pulse if they think some staff won't be looking elsewhere. I see it in my own industry and some jobs are now specifically stating the WFH policy.

I don't have a problem going back to the office but I still want the flexibility to WFH. And if some people in the team want to WFH full time and are still as productive, why wouldn't you let them?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Work on legislation will be in the next Dail session apparently and before you go nuclear on that, parties agree on what can be done in a Dail session beforehand. They have to because of all stages a bill needs to become law and any other work that is going on in committee or in the chamber itself.

Newstalk link on it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,677 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I totally agree it is nonsense.

I know myself I am far more productive working from home, I don't waste 1 hour 30 on public transport as well.

Are they so keen just so they can keep crappy Sandwich shops going or what?! One of the small upsides of covid has been small business popping up near me, a little drive through and sit in coffee place that is absolutely booming, I would far rather go there once or twice a week than some crappy spar or similar in town

We are due to be sent a survey on Monday where we can outline out opinions. It is likely to be two or three days on the office a week at least to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Crappy sandwich shops employ people and customer feedback makes them less crappy! Not everyone is so efficient at home and long term it's hard to maintain if you have nothing else to compare it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Their finger is likely well on the pulse: easy way to cut numbers, and no one is irreplaceable.

You may think that that you've been working just fine at home, but likely your company has cut procedures to the bare minimum, and that's what you've been achieving against. Companies are understandably keen to get back to full procedures and remove the risk around GDPR and also health and safety issues of having people lone-working.

Personally I think it's still too soon, but, hey, that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

No Gdpr issues in this section, it’s micromanaging on a stupid level. They have been taking this line with no regard to employees safety or wants. They are ignoring current government guidelines to remain working from home until later in month and additionally bringing all staff in same day and same day as all primary schools go back says a lot for the companies culture.

• Advertisement

GDPR and health and safety are not an issue for hybrid working. I’ve been doing it for a decade for a couple of large firms, in which I deal with customer data, have access to employee data, and work with data that is sensitive for the global markets were it to get out. And working from my laptop at home had never been an issue. They are just convenient excuses for the micromanager who wants people back 100% of the time

you are correct re. health and safety for full time home workers, but not insurmountable with even a half decent HR policy

Advertisement