Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

He didn't have the Tipp job, Willie Maher was still well in the frame when Sheedy entered - and Cahill can have no complaints there, Sheedy won an All Ireland. I don't think Waterford people need to be told how hard those are to come by.

Tipp didn't make a promise, yet again more nonsense, this is a narrative that has been spun in the years since, Willie Maher was very much in the frame still before Sheedy came along.

I'm not 'sticking my oar in' - posters on here are saying that they hope Tipp supporters don't hold it against him or that he should get to fulfill his dream of being Tipp manager some day - well absolutely not. No chance he is taken back. I hope he has a good go of things at Waterford because there won't be too many counties for him to go to after that. Tipperary certainly won't be having him.

Waterford have been very comprehensively beaten both times that they have faced Limerick, Cahill or no Cahill, I don't see how it will be any different next time or the time after. And unlike Tipperary, Waterford don't have any underage AI winning teams coming through to supplement the current crop. This will end up being a huge mistake for him in the long term, but absolutely if I was a Waterford supporter I would be thrilled today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

listen mash those grapes into a bottle and let them sit in a dark room maybe they will be less sour as a wine, liam was the incumbent with the proven record, tipp changed the tune and paid the price, slim sheedy is a legend and will forever be a legend but as babs keating shows, going backwards isnt alway or ever a good idea , i will forever have respect for sheedy for 2010 but times move on, a mid life crisis wasnt the best for the county.

it's better to die a hero than live long enough to become a villian-babs keating

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

A good day for GAA.

As a Waterford man I would have been very disappointed if he took it; but could have understood it.

Jumping ship to a rival is very much unusual for top inter county teams but could have happened here.

Speaks volumes of the character of Cahill and Bevans.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

I absolutely mean no offence but this is a blunder by Cahill of epic proportions. The absolute best of luck to Waterford for the next few years, to my eyes ye are lacking the two maybe three exceptional players needed to get an All Ireland, but if ye do, I'll be thrilled for ye. Few counties bring as much excitement and colour to the championship.

The crazy piece is the round robin next year will be lethal in Munster, talk about skin and hair flying!!!!!!! It'll be such a dogfight right through! Whatever two don't get through will be so disappointed and other than Limerick it could be any two of the other four. The draw and home advantage for the key matches will be huge.

On Liam Cahill, if Waterford fail to get out of Munster next year his decision won't look so rosy, equally if Tipp fail to get out, he'll be a very unpopular man in Tipp. On Liam Sheedy getting the Tipp job in 2019, what else were the Co board going to do? A proven winner, a proven motivator, Liam Cahill's stock is much higher now than it was then. He's done a really good job with ye, and with Tipp, Kilkenny and Galway heading into rebuilds Waterford will be the standard bearers to carry the fight to Limerick for the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well I'm surprised he stayed but great that he did. Did something happen though how it went from looking almost certain that he was going to Tipp to staying put in the space of a day? It seems odd so was there something behind it? Also people in the GAA can have short memories when it suits them so saying that he's burnt his bridges with Tipp mightn't be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

where to start ,cahill has a proven record of bringing younger talent through,so that's bollocks we need 2 or 3 he will find them, minor and u21 performed well lacking in tactics but the skills are there.

based on this years results we are second best in ireland so surely at least second best in munster.

on liam cahill,he showed loyalty because he was shown loyalty ,dress up the tipp cobos decision all you want , they wouldnt trust him waterford would, why would he go to tipp? he would need to retire a heap ,and likely have no success for 2 or 3 years if he lasted, who wants that? look at our own scully ryan ,he picked up the post davy pieces and was villified after liam, i would have him back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

that was bizarre enough. Stapleton really showed his true colours there, sour grapes. Very unprofessional, respect Cahill’s decision at least decision

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

What did he say that was unprofessional? The guy's entitled to be disappointed the same way Waterford are entitled to be happy. He seemed a bit stunned alright but I didn't see any personal attacks on anyone except maybe Tipperary Co Board for allowing it to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Never so happy to be so wrong! Amazing news to get us through the Winter. We are long overdue an injury free run and with a bit of luck we could go anywhere. Fair play to the both of them, that decision took done guts.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,295 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Round robin championship has not been happy hunting ground for us. No doubt Cahill and Beavens are up for the challenge. Touch wood nezt year will be a proper season with no covid restrictions on fixtures etc with Cahill getting a proper pre season with the panel. Hard to see Kevin Moran and Shane Fives staying on but you never know

Looking forward to 2022 already

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Iecrawfc

How is it unbalanced or unfair? every team gets 4 games, 2 away/2 home, you could not get more balanced or fair, come in the top 3 and you get through, if not then youd likely have lost 2 games anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Iecrawfc

What a vote of confidence in Waterford and the players from Cahill and Bevans, disaster for Tipp though(not too worried about them!). Most people from outside would have assumed once the Tipp approach was confirmed that it was a done deal, this confirms Waterford as Limerick's closest challengers for the next few years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Whitenblue93

Few sour tipp heads around by the looks of it 😂😂

I don’t think we can underestimate what a massive shot in the arm this is for hurling in the county in general. Liam clearly has massive belief in this group, and also mentioned in one interview I think after the Galway game how impressed he was with the talent from our u20 and minor teams this year, and no doubt has a vision of bringing some of those fellahs through aswell. One thing is for sure we will never get a better chance over the next few years of bridging the gap and win an all Ireland. And maybe we might not get there because of another outstanding once in a generation team stands in our way, but at least we’ll know it wasn’t for the want of trying and having the best possible guy we could have at the wheel.

Post edited by Mastermcgrath on

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

An awful lot of the Tipp lads anger seems to be based on the fact that "this is their hour of need and Cahill abandoned them " - what an absolute load of rubbish. Tipp are still placed within the top 6 in the country, Limerick are top of the the pile by a stretch, and while we may feel that we are second, it dosen't really matter because in terms of places 2 - 6, they are probably all within the strike of a ball of each other on any given day.

Yes Tipp are likely to loose a few legends to retirement, but they still have the nucleus of a very good team, and yes they are going to need to blood new players, but as has been repeatedly pointed out they have a pool of underage talent to draw from - believe you me they will not be far away next year or the year after, unless they put a complete "dumb ass" in charge.

It it a bit presumptuous to say the least, that they expected Cahill to venture off to another county to prove his worthiness and that he should then return to them when they were ready. The simple fact are that Tipp have numerous realistic candidates at their disposal (unlike us) - as has been mentioned already they can pick from William Maher, Darren Gleeson, Tommy Dunne and Brendan Cummins all viable candidates, while Eamonn O'Shea is a really highly regarded coach - so a bit of realism lads - Liam Cahill did not abandon Tipp in their hour of need, he has merely stayed true to his values. Tipp are not in a desperate situation, they are facing an evolution in their team and are still in a good place and their new manager, whoever they select will surely drive them on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I prefer this picture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

How did Ballyduff lower get such a hammering in the intermediate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

A shot in the arm for Waterford with cahill returning but unless ye find two new corner backs I can't see ye challenging Limerick.

Say fixings go on in all counties

Reckon the next Waterford vs Tipp game will be tense both on and off the field. We're in the same group for the League

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Amongst all the joy with the news of Cahill & Bevans staying on, the return to the round robin format is about to raise another issue which seems to have stalled once again..

The redevelopment of Walsh Park.

Has any work begun? I think it had been pencilled in for early 2022 so doubt it has. So if work does begin are we out of Walsh Park for the Round Robin series? We can’t keep stalling the development of it forever. But what becomes of our home games if we don’t have Walsh Park available?

Yep all gone very quite on that front, it should almost be done if it stayed to original plans/schedule but covid hit. Funding may be another issue

Looking like we will be back to end April/May for the championship round robin games next year. Unless Walsh Park is done in stages starting this October/November it's going to be interesting what happens. Fraher Field could maybe host our League games but no way could it host a Senior Hurling intercounty Championship game. Thurles and PUC to host our 'home' games, hope to god it won't be in Limerick

Would not surprise me if the Walsh Park redevelopment is put off til after summer 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Any word that SOK will make himself available next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭decies

Is this round Robin Munster championship here to stay in the future or just more experimenting ? I presume we will be back to getting Waterford season tickets next December ?

• Advertisement

I hope Cahill and Bevans got some guarantees from the county board that development work in Walsh Park will be delayed until after the round robin series in 2022 and completed before 2023.

he won’t be long regretting his decision if we find ourselves being forced to play home games in Gaelic Grounds again like the **** farce that was allowed to happen in 2018

Advertisement