Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You've managed to change this - "...after 12 months it is like you never had the shots," to stating that you'll be correct if boosters are required. They're not the same thing.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Once the high level of antibodies are generated, what difference does the mRNA make? I mean, the advantage to them is they can be updated very quickly and generate high levels of immunity without an adjuvant, but once that is done, the vaccine is gone and its down to the body to manage its immunity, there's no magic there.

People also forget that people with conditions or immuno compromised are on other medicines anyway, taking a vaccine every 6 months (if the interval even ends up that short) is nothing compared to other medicines they're on, the world is also gearing up to manufacture massive amounts of vaccines in the future under the expectation they will be needed.

This is scary for anti vaxxers and even the vaccine hesitant, but they probably won't be targeted with this anyway so can live in ignorance (as long as they aren't travelling to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The US is now talking about boosters after 5 months. So it's gone from 8 months, to 6 and now to 5 in a matter of weeks. It will be 3 months next, god knows what they will settle on.. 2 weeks? Vaccine drip at all times? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You're trying to change the narrative from "...after 12 months it is like you never had the shots." Work away lad.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

Nphet to disband in October as employees expected to return to office from September

No more NPHET

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

I didn’t expect the massive sense of relief this news has given me. To be honest, didn’t expect this news. Today is very good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The US a basket case, it was looking so promising but my god the number of deaths, new cases in the past two months staggering, wether its hesitation or stupidy, hard to tell but its just astonishing.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A little unhoped for and surprised it is that soon but it is a reminder that it always had a limited lifespan. A mixed track record from the largely very excellent steering of the pandemic management in 2020 to the sense that they saw themselves as the only game in town for most of 2021. Still would thank them for their services overall. One would hope that there are lessons learnt for when we might need such a body again.

So NPHET to be disbanded, whilst inevitable, I'm surprised ( I'm not going to get into its merits or otherwise) , suffice to say I supported what they did throughout the Pandemic. My surprise is why October or indeed this year, I can't see why it can't see out the year, makes little sense and even less that the HSE assuming responsibility 🙄

My greatest concern is the HSE taking over, that's not a prospect, I or many would have much confidence in.

Like or loathe NPHET, they did a valuable service, the shocking and personal abuse levelled at some of its members quite disgraceful and yet, how strange, little or no praise when THESE very members over the past two months have supported easing of restrictions and have been generally positive.

We're certainly over the worst of the Pandemic, but by no means free of Covid and its potentially long term affects on society. Of course my humble opinion will drive some into a frenzy of hyperbolic nonsense, but it is is humble opinions I hold, others free to disagree, to use that oft used Cliché, the next few months are critical and they certainly are.

• Advertisement

They were never designed to be permanent, as the name says. I'd be less concerned about the HSE on the disease side of things and they have generally done a very good job on this. Most of the expertise we have developed this year is from the HSE, not NPHET. It's the end of the road for them, as was always anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Haha 😂

The return of NPHET in November will be priceless

Tony’s book will be a best seller

I see today they are looking at getting rid of all restrictions before Halloween lol, 8-10 weeks is an entirety in COVID world. In May Israel beat Covid and in July they got boosters out

The people that eat this up and believe it are seriously naive

Its going to be the same as last year, restrictions will ease while cases are high and will turn to **** shortly

We tried lads, sorry

I do agree and know NPHET was never intended to be permanent, just feel a little premature disbanding now, perhaps wait the year out, particularly with winter months ahead etc. I do however doubt very much any expertise developed by the HSE.

I think it makes sense as there is very little for them to do anymore, with over 90% vaccinated. The CMO, of late, has just been pushing vaccinations, something the HSE is better equipped to do. Looks like they've started on that too.

I'll certainly grant you the Vacinne roll out an amazing success, beyond that I've little confidence in Senior HSE executives but have enormous respect and confidence in front line staff despite the poor management or direction from HQ which as in essence turned into a PR spin machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's been clear for a while now that we have a public health care emergency here as COVID is well under control since around May.

There should be a very clear direction given HSE senior management to start increasing ICU capacity and improving the hospital system.

What this pandemic has shown is we have incredible staff in our hospitals who are being let down on a consistent basis by management.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There should be some key take aways from our response. ICU capacity needs to be greatly increased over the coming years. Step down facilities need to be invested in. Children's needs have to be taken into account in future as they appear to have been completely abandoned over the last 2 years. Classroom sizes needs to be addressed.

These will take time to implement but can be done if government starts looking beyond it's own nose and puts some long term strategic planning in place.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Well management plans are what allowed us to deal with 2,000 hospital cases and over 200 in ICU back in January, without the entire system collapsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I agree however we’ve known this for decades and nothing ever changes. Too many useless gobshites making way too much money in there for that to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

It’s a shame NPHET didn’t tackle the real emergency - the waiting lists they helped create.

How would a body quite heavy on epidemiologists do that?

I agree fully albeit I'd not say everything Fully under control, I only say this based on recent case numbers and sadly death's, I of course accept the delta variant alot more transmissible.

A little silly suggesting NPHET created any waiting lists, the Pandemic did and let's not forget the waiting lists existed long before the pandemic and dare I say long before NPHET existed.

The pandemic isn’t an entity that made decisions - of course the waiting lists existed, but the reckless and life changing decision to shutdown screening for so long is on NPHET. We all know that the hospitals were empty for most of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

In Majorca this week. Resort full of Germans and brits enjoying themselves like normal times. Arrive at the Ryanair departure gate for Dublin - a bunch of double masked zombies on their way back to Covid Island. Depressing really.

I'm not quite sure your aware of what happened to the hospital system during the height of the Pandemic, it actually did pretty much collapse, added to that the cyber attack pretty much showed not only how vulnerable the IT systems were, but how inept the HSE was in dealing with it (I know, I got caught up in the middle of it as a patient), it was dark ages, medieval stuff, I'm just thankful the front staff stuck with it, how they coped is amazing, I'll also point out Paul Reid was warned in early 2019 (yes 2019) urgent attention needed re the HSE"S entire IT infrastructure, of course nothing was done. Months on and the cyber attack still being used as an excuse to deflect appalling ineptitude at very high levels within the HSE.

Perhaps I'm missing something but NPHET never, ever said empty hospital's, these were Hospital management /HSE/Clinical decisions.

I broke my leg in the middle of this, brought by ambulance to an empty and I'm not exaggerating, empty Midlands hospital, patched up, practically thrown out onto an empty car park whilst on crutches to get a taxi home (none actually available), then had to wait two days and make my way up to an empty Private hospital in Dublin for the consultant (based at the Midlands hospital) to operate), whilst thankfull for the care, it was the HSE that made these decisions, not NPHET.

My point is the system survived through the various surge plans initiated. As for IT, well two years is no time in implementations, especially in a place like the HSE with enormous numbers of devices. I'd cut Paul Reid some slack as he only started on April 2 2019 and nine months later we were catapulted into this. What he does from now on though deserves a lot more scrutiny. IIRC he has been pushing for a lot more money but the means addressing the waste that is there first.

• Advertisement

I’m aware, I was in hospital. It was empty, staff just hanging around, no masks or much care for social distancing back in 2020 either. Keeping services and screening up and running should have been a priority.

The cyberattack was later, no excuse.

Advertisement