Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

On both bookings we paid €4.99 for a "standard" seat.

bingo, that will trigger priority

As an Aerclub member you really don't have to pay for seats departing Dublin (provided the lounge was open the day before you travel) long story but its normally handled in the background quietly. You get rows 2-7 for all passengers on the same booking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

thanks goingnowhere. are you saying it's not a glitch, but intentional, but not spelt out? Buying a 4.99 seat seems an easy way to get priority + 10kg bag on board when it costs more to do it properly? And I am the aerclub member, my wife isn't (though I booked for her while logged in)?

If you purchase a seat that seems to get you priority and if you purchase a seat you get the carry on bag

Its a long story but if an AerClub silver or better makes a reservation and is the first named passenger, then assuming the lounge is staffed the day before you will be magically allocated seats together in the front of the aircraft (have faith and select sit me anywhere on check in after 9pm the night before)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SB Morer

I see SuperValu have issued their August money-back vouchers and It looks like there is ZERO bonus on conversions of vouchers to Avios this time. They just get meaner and meaner with their rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're heavily pushing using points as part-payment now. Rate is very poor as far as I can tell

KLM were doing similar - in both cases its got to be an accounting thing to move reserves out of the loyalty scheme in to the operating company.

Actually printed my fasttracks from Aercard, first use of anything at all related to it now.

Don’t even start me on my AerCard redemption. My first booking is a return trip to Rhodes next month. Aer Lingus cancelled the outbound flight and offered me an alternate a day earlier, which I accepted. Paid up for 15 nights accommodation (as opposed to the 14 nights I had originally reserved) and the very next day Aer Lingus cancelled my flight home without any alternative flights, so I had to book and pay for Ryanair to get us home.

Now Aer Lingus say If I take my outbound flights then my return reward is forfeit. However if I don’t take my outbound flight they’ll reinstate my reward.

But I’ve already paid for my accommodation and I have friends travelling on the same outbound flight. So cancelling it and rebooking with Ryanair for a day later isn’t an option.

Aer Lingus are being extremely unhelpful and really couldn’t care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Could you cancel the reward piece and rebook normally as a regular ticket? That way you get to travel with your friends and not lose the (useless in some ways) reward flight?

I actually hadn’t considered that, thanks. I’ll wait to see what they come back with following my latest contact with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

You could be better off doing this and using the reward flights on something later in the year when the schedule is a little more solid.

It’s been an absolute PITA having got the AerCard before the pandemic. Finally getting to use my reward flights for the first time next week. Must try the fast passes too actually. There’s lounge passes too - is the lounge worth using at the moment though?

The lounge is not currently open. Rumour has it that they are reopening it in September but there hasn’t been any announcement about a firm date yet, so don’t cash in your passes just yet!

I didn’t want to cancel and rebook my outbound flight, but after much argument I did manage to get Aer Lingus to reinstate one reward flight as we were only using half of our two reward flights. That means in now have three reward flights on my account for 2021, which I’ll use in early 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Ha - that's very good to know - thanks!

I've found the reward team to be ok to deal with - once you're talking to them and not general flight bookings/customer service. They seem to really want to make the programme work.

Sept 1 was confirmed as lounge opening date in early August but since then its all gone vague again. I guess we find out Wednesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

They just announced the lounge is open again from the 1st Sept. It looks like they have made a few changes, more pod areas and no papers or magazines anymore, all through a reader app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Looks like a mid-life upgrade for the lounge, very much in keeping with the previous style but with some changes to better align with the needs of passengers today.

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/1432317351064711170?s=20

Definitely appears to be more seating, new wireless charging points, order via QR code for food options and better use of the space around the bar area. The grass carpets and computer stations are gone.

As expected it's a nice space to relax before a flight but nothing spectacular.

I’m curious to see the menu options on the App shown in the video. There seems to be main courses and not just snacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Back to work travel from Monday week and dreading it. Anyone taken an early morning flight through T2 recently? What are the queues like. Pre COVID I would breeze through security via fast track.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Friday at ~05:20 there was a small queue beyond the doors for normal security and none outside fast track. One idiot who didn't understand liquid rules and blocked the tray return with his laptop bag did delay fast track a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

I was in the T1 fast track queue around the same time on Saturday. It took about 30 minutes to get through. The normal queue appeared to actually be quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Has anyone used the lounge with status since it opened? I have a trip booked in December but have lost my status over a year at this stage. It says on the website to log on and book/pay via “manage booking” but Aerlingus Cust Service hadn’t a clue - basically told me only AerClub members can access now but to try a different browser etc.

Maybe it’s not worth it at all with the current restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Has the lounge actually opened?

The arrivals/refresh lounge was shut on Tuesday.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

I was told on the phone it was… and it is according to the Aer Lingus Website but maybe there’s a glitch somewhere?

It’s open, seen a few pictures on social media from people using it.

Not sure about the revival lounge though, I’m guessing that will stay shut until transatlantic schedules return to something a little closer normal than what they are at present.

Nevermind, I see the website has update now - at the moment they’re not offering bookable passes - probably limiting the possible numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I was in Lufthansa Lounge in T2 Munich yesterday. They offered me a lounge pass as my flight was overbooked to Luxembourg and put me on a later one.

Really nice Lounge. Beats EI lounge in Heathrow by a long shot. I have never been to the EI lounge in Dublin.

Ive only been to Heathrow one for the last flight home(Pre Covid) so its only ever been cheese and crackers, tho id say it wasn't much more during the day.

That’s good to know, will be flying out of Munich in January, was hoping the lounge would be half decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Used the lounges in Heathrow and Dublin T2 this week, a few minor nice touches, but otherwise very much the same. There's very little of anything decent to eat at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is fast track in T2 open? Says on the Dublin airport website T1 fast track is open and T2 fast track is closed. Have a yucky 7am flight on Friday so would rather avoid any delays.

• Advertisement

I did see elsewhere online the other day that they had a reasonably decent selection of wraps along with the usual offering. It didn’t look too bad and was arguably a slightly improvement but it seems this is a luck of the draw type situation which is all too common with Aer Lingus at the moment.

Advertisement