Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Be very careful. When panels point in different directions, each section should be on it's own string, or else shading of one section will kybosh the output of any other panels on the same string.

The only real way to have three strings is with one being run off micro-inverters, or find a triple input inverter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Would you not tell him and be a good neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Ok if thats the after grant price then, the inverter is too small and its over priced by 3 to 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭deravarra

In all fairness, most people looking at systems will NOT do the required research and see how good a system they can get for far less than what some of these cowboys are quoting.

In that case, they're fair game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I told him he's being absolutely robbed gave him the details of what he should be paying and the numbers for our friends in Enniskillen. Hopefully he's not committed to the other shower.....

Seen a quote for 14 panels for €9900 after grant the battery 2.5kw was €6600.

Thats ACTIVE gouging. Gave him my supplier's name (not in Enniskillen).

He went with my lad and saved a bloody fortune. I was proud I stopped one person getting robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

Great thread and cheers to the regular contributors. I’m about half way through reading it, learning so much.

I got two similar quotes recently - looking to oversize my system and put in 6Kw system, might introduce heat pump and EV car in the future so planning ahead.

The quotes both came in about 10,500 after grant for 6.2kw (ish) without battery but with huawei hybrid inverter. From reading the thread these quotes look way over priced (my eyes Glazed over when I saw quote, and I Swiftly thought about looking elsewhere)

Im reaching out to the team in Enniskillen which came recommended- would be great to get any other leads to check quotes

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

3.1kW 9 x 345 JA panels. 6 South / 3 West.

3.6kW Solis hybrid inverter.

2.4kWh battery.

€4,950 net. Add Zappi +€400 net.

Enniskillen based company. Sincerely* hope the good Dr.Phil is getting some commission or good price for more panels in future :)

* tongue in cheek fail. Not suggesting any impropriety.

Post edited by Busman Paddy Lasty on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

It's really not about looking for anything in return and I'm sure DrPhilG would feel the same, but when you see some of the absolute tossers who are robbing people blind you just have to try and show that it's not all about the cowboys.

I needed a sparks a few weeks ago to swap out a trip switch and knew I could call someone I could trust to not try to rip me off and also to turn up when he said he would. It's really all about your reputation nowadays, but unfortunately some operators have no shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Hi, Could you please pm me the name of that Enniskillen based company? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

I see very little here about people's consumption prior to install. I use nearly 11,000 kW during the year with summer peaks as we have 3 guest rooms.

One recent supplier gave me verbal quote for 8/10 panels. I wanted to max out at 20 panels but he said he would not quote for 20. The maths offered a 50% saving for the extra 10 panels but he would not quote for them.

I also queried the use for a battery. I thought it I was only generating 4kW per day, that there was enough background usage rather than divert it to the battery.

I am new to this technology so I am sure there are many holes in my reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

+1 for preventing people paying over the odds. This thread is a massive help for that so thanks to all contributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is it a B&B you have?

Other peoples consumption figures wont matter much to you. You really need to understand where your own consumption is (hot water, electric showers, electric car, heating etc) and then figure out how you can consume as much of what you generate as you can.

For example, if it is a B&B you have then you cant tell the guests to hold off on their shower while you are waiting for the Solar panels to heat your water. If its electric showers you have then they will consume alot more than your panels will generate so your panels might be producing 6kW right now and a shower fires up that uses 10kW. The extra 4kW has to come from the grid and then once the shower is off that 6kW is now being "wasted".

Self-consumption is the key element of Solar PV install. The battery helps you self-consume for later use but the batteries have a cost so not always worth it.

Bottomline, you need a full understanding of your consumption(devices and time of use) and then decide the best way forward. Other people's consumption figures wont help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Hi Folks

Looking into getting some quotes for a Solar PV installation if someone could send me a PM on the guys from Enniskillen please. Have an existing Zappi for EV charging so want to tie this in if possible.

Thank you for the detailed response.

We have a three bedroomed B&B.

Guests seem to take dramatically long showers.

Two off the tank and one off the mains.

Screenshot shows my maximum usage was 41 units and lowest 21. The average is 30 units over the entire year.

We are closed for a week so I will try and calculate our background usage. Fridges, TV’s, routers, mesh system and loads of network stuff on standby.

Reckon that I would use up anything that I would produce ?

For some reason I cant send you a PM. send me a pm

A good sized Solar system will help you out, is the place single phase or 3 phase?

Single phase. Told you could get 20 panels on single phase but guys here will know way more than the salespeople ,

• Advertisement

My guy has fitted 20 so far on my setup. I hope to upgrade the Inverter and then go to 24/26. The newer Solis (other inverters are available) can handle 26 easy.

Listen you have some phone numbers now, give them a call and get some quotes and on site advice..

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

You can also use optimisers to handle two orientations but at 50 euro a panel it starts to add up.

I know I have 20 of them with optimizers. works well in the winter and late evening during the summer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You can get dual panel optimisers, this will depend on panel voltage and shading to see if it's suitable for your setup

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

One thing I notice on the providers websites is that no one seems to speak about the safe financial return on your investment. If you have 10k sitting in a bank account, you’re effectively losing value with inflation, and it’s impossible today to find a safe, reliable place to invest which will return 3-4% after tax - which the panels offer even before FIT comes into play. Am I missing something?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Your not, but it's very hard to quantify that. But your still losing out if you pay 10k where others have paid less.

As for max number of panels, it depends on the open circuit voltage of the panels. Taking into account freezing winter conditions , as the panels get colder they have more voltage

Agree that it’s hard to quantify but not even an example use case is discussed. It could possibly open up PV to others who look at conservative investing - think reliable dividend payments.

My figure of 10k is only an example - the same applies for an initial lower outlay, but totally agree you don’t want to be overpaying relative to others

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Roughly, if you stick to €1k per kWp then you should be on a 10yr payback.

Rule of thumb amount based upon my own SW/NE setup (currently tracking to 9yrs payback).

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

A friend of mine got solar fitted, about 8k install after grant. Before solar his bill was 3k a year, heat pump and and not changing supplier. After the install his bill is now €1500 per year. his pay back is about 5 years. he now has an EV and charges it on excess production so his savings have gone up as he is not buying diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No way is all that €1500 down to the panels unless he has a massive array. What size is his system? He'd need to be generating 10MWh per year and using ALL of it to save €1500 so there is some creative accounting in his figures.

I bet a decent chunk of his savings is a change of behavior and a change of provider.

Comparing bills is also a bad comparison. Ultimately he should look at the figures his inverter is giving him.... what did they produce and how much of that did he export for free. Then he can calculate what it actually saved him and the excess going to the EV is saving him 6c/kWh, not the day rate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement