Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year olds able to change gender in Scotland

Options

Comments

And that is the problem with the woke.

They believe there’s so many 4 year olds who don’t have education in this area and it’s not fair.

Again, they weren't assigned a gender at birth. They were either male or female, a boy or a girl.

Unless you admit that gender and sex are the same thing.

I never understand this "assigned at birth"gig. You have a penis, you're a boy. It's as simple as that. There's no choice involved for the parents or the children. The biological sexual organs determine our gender at birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Kids at that age pick their arses, nose and ears, believe in Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy, can't count past 20, have zero idea where babies come from. Oh but they're somehow capable of identifying with a specific gender and should be taken 100% seriously.

So if my nephew (2 1/2 yrs old) says to me "I'm a girl now", I've to bring it to my sister-in-law and begin assisting in his transition? No, I'd be saying "are ya now? so am I!" wrap a big towel over my waist and start dancing like an eejit just to make him piss himself laughing, because I'm the mad uncle who knows how to humour a child. Because he's being ridiculous, because of course he fúcking is, because he's a toddler.

I pissed my trousers at the age of 4 all the time. I carried a blanket around with me everywhere. I drank tea out of a baby bottle and stole my sister's rusks.

Children don't know anything rational at that age. When I went to L'Estartit with my parents on holiday (I was 6) I thought I was gonna see my dead dog from outside the plane window. Every beach I looked at going forward, I thought it was Spain. Oh but gender identification is something I would've definitely been able to comprehend. Away ye go.

As a Scot, this story is embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Noone is suggesting genital surgery for 5 year olds so frankly this post is nonsense .

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Your assessment of children's knowledge is not very nuances. Cherry Pick some things they are not good at from an adult perspective as evidence that they are dumb.

We can do the opposite. For example, children have the ability to learn a language in a very short space of time without even trying. Yet adult learner's desperate to learn a language will never match the ability of a child in this. Does this mean adults are DB and shouldn't be paid attention to? Obviously not.

We should be realistic about what kids know and don't know instead of just portraying them as dummies with no minds.

And they are very aware of gender and can have strong opinions on it. No they're not going to be taking part in internet debates about trans rights but that doesn't mean if a child says it's a girl and you think it's a boy that it.can all be solved with a funny dance. That's spectacularly naive.

Also, it should be pointed out (though I'm sure it will be ignored) that there is nothing to suggest there will be education around these issues. Posters keep claiming 4 year olds will be taught about gender. All the article says is that a child will be referred to by pronouns they ask for and be able.to use the toilets they want. No curriculum changes. But hey why let the truth get in the way of a good nonsensical rant.

So much of this thread has been misinformation. It's so flagrant it's hard to know if it's on purpose or if the anti-trans posters lack simple reading comprehension.

They've assumed surgery forn4 year olds, hormones for 4 year olds, education about trans issues for 4 year olds, 4 year olds being taught niche genders that nobody has ever heard of etc.

They don't seem to have any interest in what the Scottish are ACTUALLY doing. I guess it's not controversial enough for them.

Yep it does.

Im aware though of an all girls school run by the Loreto Nuns that accomodated a young trans male quite well though. So it can be done and many schools are already handling this situation very well.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Noone has suggested hormone treatment for 4 year olds.

Terry Pratchet

Are you suggesting that you should encourage or support a 5 year old to believe they are the opposite sex if they feel that way?

• Advertisement

Its all just jumping to conclusions and not actually discussing what is happening.

We're not talking about surgery

We're not talking about medical treatment

We're not talking about hormones

We're not talking about medical transition

Terry Pratchet

Would you support teachers telling a child that they can be the opposite sex if they feel that way inclined?

Exactly we are not even talking about education/curriculum changes. It's simply about pronoun usage etc.

If a 5 year old identified as the opposite gender then there should in my opinion be non directive support (emphasising emotional support regardless of what happens) which looks at the context - is this a throwaway once off comment or is it continued insistence, are there other behaviours the child is displaying e.g. do they seem suddenly over introverted or overly angry or distressed, is the childs behaviour causing a lot of distress for the whole family and then looks at what professional supports are available for the child e.g. child psychologist

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Nobody sensible is, but people are jumping to conclusions and assuming parents will be starting medical transition for 4 year olds

Young children have the capacity to learn and absorb information. That doesn't mean that we should expose them to the complexities of human society, and the difficulties that comes with being a teen/adult in terms of gender and sexuality. We used to believe in protecting children, giving them the chance to be children, providing them the scope to develop in their own ways.

What you're suggesting is pushing adult considerations on to children... because that is what you are doing. Expecting them to understand and appreciate the complex nature of gender and sex.. when they're 4 or 5 years old. Which they don't currently understand, but you would change that.. simply because they could learn to understand. Maybe.

It's a pity you don't have any concerns about the long-term personality trauma such tampering might have.

For children those ages to be concerned with pronouns, or anything else related to Trans or identity, they would have first been taught and conditioned by an adult. This proposal gives permission for adults to do just that. Introduce adult considerations to very young children.

We''re talking about what would come after should such an idea be allowed to given time to become established.

Ten-fifteen years ago, in most countries, you would have found real opposition to secondary school students declaring their gender, but now it's become somewhat accepted, and even expected that pronouns be decided and expressed. Go back another five years, and raised eyebrows would have been common about university students declaring such. Now.. it's "normal".

Your objection is common on threads like these as if nothing further would be born from such a change.. but further change does come. Once an idea becomes allowed, and then accepted, further ideas (which maybe have been considered more extreme) become less objectionable because we've allowed other things to happen. That's happened repeatedly over the last two-three decades with a variety of social causes.

The danger here is because this is about young children. Adults can decide for themselves, and bear the consequences for their choices. Children, on the other hand, are impressionable from all manner of sources, and frankly, I'd be concerned that any gender question for a young child would not be coming from the child, but from the parent or a teacher who has meddled with the child's perceptions.

I never suggested pushing adult concerns into children. Can you quote something I've said where you believe that to be the case?

Or are you still IMAGINING that the Scottish guidance provides for 4 year olds to be educated about trans issues. It doesn't. Maybe try reading the article?

Exactly. You can't point to where I supported pushing adult.concerns on kids. Because I didn't.

The guidance is all about kids concerns. They want to be referred to in a certain way. The teacher respects their wishes. That's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

But how many 4-year old children approach teachers with the sole aim of self-identifying as the opposite sex and wishing to live as such?

I'd argue very few, if any, at that age.

Surely there must be statistical evidence of this by now?

Doesn't matter if it's a small number or a lot. Now there is guidance in place to make sure the right approach is taken to them at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

In other words, you are happy for a policy such as this to exist, even if there is no statistical evidence or backup that such a policy is actually required?

That goes against the spirit of why guidelines and regulations must be introduced.

I am happy for the policy to be introduced.

I've no idea of the statistical evidence. If you'd like to provide some if be happy to comment on it.

But all I've seen so far from you is an ASSUMPTION that the numbers must be so small to not fit what YOU BELIEVE is the required numbers before guidance is given.

I look forward to you providing the necessary statistics which I'm sure you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Meanwhile the non-woke (and proud of it) are choosing horse medicine over FDA approved vaccines...

For them to be aware of gender to that extent, at that age, they would have needed an adult to introduce the concepts, and encourage a line of thinking.

The belief that young children at 4 or 5 years old are aware of gender enough to care about choosing a gender is simply a projection of adult concerns. I've taught kindergarten classes before. As others have said, the concept of gender for young children is limited, and it would be extremely rare for any child to care enough to be called by particular pronouns. That's an adult consideration. Hence it's an agenda being pushed on to children.

So, everyone who happily accepted the vaccines offered to them was woke? Wow. I didn't realise when I got my vaccines I was also joining that club. 🙄

Children are aware of gender from a very young age. They do not need an adult to tell them these things. I agree their understanding of it is limited but having a PhD level understanding of sex and gender in modern society is not a prerequisite to a child forming their own ideas about gender.

There have been children declaring their gender looong before the vast vast majority of parents would have even known it was a possibility. Do you think parents in the 80s were encouraging their kids to be gender non-conforming?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That's your presumption, I didn't say that.

But in the same way as you guys see anyone advocate for anything that is remotely identifiable as progressive as being 'woke' surely you're ok with generalizations being used.

It's off topic slightly but maybe it isn't either but I've a genuine question, why do conservatives engage passionately mostly in topics where they are decrying something being advocated for; public conversations about the ability for someone to identify themselves in a particular way, conversations about the integration of different groups of society, conversations about calling for people to be treated equally at the hands of police, conversations about generating equal of fair opportunities for both genders in the workplace, conversations about meaningful action to protect the environment or conversations about protecting society from a highly transmissible and dangerous disease are frequently met with arguments attacking the proponents of these ideas and trying to dismiss them as being 'woke' like being understanding and empathetic of the suffering or wellbeing of others is a fundamentally bad thing.

There are of course exceptions to the rule but time and again, the same groupsets of people are on the opposing sides of these arguments. And certainly on Boards anyway it seems, threads are started on these topics by people undermining the idea of doing something to help a particular situation. Why do you think these are the types of threads that are started most frequently rather than threads advocating for help, for anyone? Are there any topics which non-woke conservatives feel should be advocated for? And if so, why don't they do so? Maybe I should start a specific thread to discuss this topic. Every couple of days when the latest thread appears targeting a 'woke' topic, the same thoughts come to mind.

• Advertisement

No. We are talking about normalisation of what isn't normal.

Advertisement