Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2021-22 Mod Reminder/Note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Missed my chance a few weeks ago to get 3/1 on Arteta :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's a pen for everton if the one is given against Leeds last week.

Norwich goal keeps Arsenal bottom due to goals ... sorry goal... scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

On Arsenal:

Forgive my ignorance but:

How did they end up with 2 players in Holding and Chambers who weren't good enough for years still at the club? And a wing back to make up the back 3.

Why didn't they get rid of Xhaka when they had the chance? And then to play him effectively on his own in the middle away to Man City?

What is the plan for playing Smith Rowe and Odegaard together?

Aubamayang, Xhaka and Lacazette as the captains? That's clearly not right.

Why is Partey always injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Arsenal should have swallowed the pain two years ago and allowed Emery to carry on and completely gut the squad he inherited from Wenger.

He wouldn't have brought back the glory days, but I doubt he'd be sitting bottom of the table right now either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Well Emery has moved to the champs league whereas Arsenal have moved to the bottom of the Premier league....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

That is a fantastic header from Havertz!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Great tempo to this game !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That looks like a horrendous decision by the referee. Chelsea have just been robbed is my take on it.

Reece James couldn't help what happened I don't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

What’s the deal with azpilicueta with his hands all over the ref? He’s done it twice already. Thought you weren’t aloud touch the ref?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Drexel_3

Well that was hilarious. Thought the red was a bit harsh. Hit his knee and bounced up??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Thought that was a penalty and yellow for James since it hit his body first. Looked to me like the referee only looked at a still picture of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He moves his arm to push the ball away from the line. It's stopped the ball crossing the line. If he doesn't move his arm I don't think it's given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Ref barely looked at it. Thought it was a peno and a yellow. There was no way he could get his arm out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If he had not have moved his arm it would have been fine but he swung his arm after the ball hit it so its a pen, hand ball on the line is an automatic red card so nothing harsh about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He flicked the ball away with his arm, it's clear as day. Not sure what the Chelsea players are moaning about.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Drexel_3

The refereeing the first three rounds of games has been all over the place I think. Very inconsistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Prevented a goal scoring opportunity. Think he would have been OK if his hand hadn't moved forward which was so clear on VAR. Otherwise he would have been OK, and on the pitch and on a side leading the match.

Chelsea lucky not to have more bookings - total disrespect shown there to the ref and then the gamesmanship towards Salah. Lucky he was unflappable.

Second half should be fun. Refs card pocket will be like the proverbial toaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Thought the red and peno were fair decisions. Lucky they started with 5 so no subs needed to rearrange a formation.

Tuchel needs to calm Chelsea down or else there'll be another red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ref didn't even see that part of the bounce up action on the VAR screen. Given it's such a big game defining moment I can't believe he didn't take more time to consider his decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

The red glanced at the monitor with a still image for half a second how the hell could he have made an informed decision on that when it bounced off his body, disgraceful decision

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Thought it was a clear red.

He very clearly moved his right arm in a forward motion to move the ball away from the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

That's probably fair but the referee didn't even look at that on the VAR. I don't think he made the decision at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Stonewall red card and peno. Moved his arm towards the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Red and peno were correct decisions imo.

However, I will agree that the ref should not be presented with a still image. Should have to look at the entire passage of play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The look on his face James new himself once VAR looked at it was in trouble, Probably knowing it was a penalty.

He never expected to get sent off though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

His arm movement was similar to an underarm bowl there was so much forward motion, clear red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's two motions. First Reece-James blocks the ball with his hand, then he flicks it away from the goal line.

Definite penalty and by the rules of the game a red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Lampard had actually played Rudiger he could still be Chelsea manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Think James is unlucky but it's prob the correct decision.

I'll say this about Liverpool though, they don't look like they are anywhere near the level they were 2 seasons ago and I don't think they are city's level anymore.

In saying that, they are going to be on 9 points after 3 games so what do I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Chelsea could win this yet, down to ten men but playing pretty well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

He has been great for them in recent times, he loves the competition and battle.

Just always feel he is about to do something mad, not sure why, maybe it is the general level of intensity he carries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good point for Chelsea.

Poor officiating. Looking at a still image to make such a pivotal call

Ref letting home pressure get to him it seems

Chelsea done well overall and looked the more likely to win in the end

How does Azpilcueta get away with that?

He spends the entire time for each corner pulling and dragging Van Dijk. Then he gets a smack in the mouth from Rudiger and wins a free out.

There has to be a rule change for all the skullduggery that goes on before the referee blows his whistle. Apparently until he blows your free to kill all around you, get a lecture from the referee and then win a free out when your team mate assaults you.

Massive point for Chelsea though.

This endears them more to fans of the beautiful game - not!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Super point for Chelsea, given the circumstances. If City don't sign a striker, I think Chelsea edge it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That was almost as good as winning the CL, taking a point against Pool at Anfield after 50mins of 12 vs 10.

The mighty Kop couldn't even drag a winner in down that end.

Wouldn't have any fear against Liverpool this season if that's the best they can manage, City, maybe Utd are Chelsea's title rivals I reckon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

In the end, they looked very good before the red card. They are going to have a big season.

Liverpool looking much more confident for obvious reasons. Are Liverpool signing any more players? It looks like they could do with another forward since others have a lot of firepower, the AFCON coming up and Firminio not the most prolific within his role (can be hard to reset and focus more on finishing).

Given their squad and the lack of a proper striker at City, it's hard not to see them first or second at the very least.

Another signing would be nice but probably wont happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Taylor is unbelievably s**t as a ref and even more so when it's Chelsea.

Read that, or not but my point is valid.

Have a great weekend. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Was a good game I think Chelsea can be proud of that game.

I think Chelsea had pools number even with a man down amazing what a fresh manager with new ideas can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Excellent defensive performance from Chelsea, but how exactly is that having Liverpool's number? Once a player is sent off, the game goes off on a tangent and little can be learned from it.... other than, in this game, Chelsea were very solid at the back and Liverpool struggled against the low block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think the reality is that the VAR lads had already explained to him exactly what happened, which was pretty clear cut, making everything after that purely performative. I don’t think it particularly mattered what was on screen, the decision was made before he ever walked over. But for the aesthetics of it, he really should have been shown proper moving footage. They all know we can see that screen - so even if it’s not going to make any difference under the circumstances, they should just complete the theater of it.

Agreed. VAR had told the ref that it was a penalty and a likely red card. Anthony Taylor isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer - he should've known that his cursory glance at the monitor would be interpreted badly. I just think he's a poor ref. Plenty of comments in the Chelsea thread saying he's always against them and favoured Liverpool. The feeling generally in the Liverpool thread is that he's anti-Liverpool due to being from Manchester. Chances are that he's just a bit crap.

They played 45 minutes with 10 men and aside from Liverpool having possession Chelsea liked far the better team.

All down to opinions that's what we are here to give.

Tuchel comes across as such a likeable guy great listening to his interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thought it was a penalty but felt sorry for James getting a red card. Really shouldn't have come to that though as Mendy and Alonso both went for the same ball and caused the big scramble.

Ok, not sure how Chelsea looked the better team in the 2nd half as all they were doing was defending, but sure, it's all only opinions.

Playing against a low block, albeit a low block with quality, European Cup winning defenders, will always be tough for Liverpool. Chelsea offered the odd counter-attack in the 2nd half but that was it. The 1st half was great, a very even affair and unfortunately the sending off changed the game for the worse. The law says a sending off but it was very harsh. Give a penalty and move on, imo. The sending off spoiled the game and turned it into a game of backs vs forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement