Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It’s not an anecdote, it’s fact.

Ireland has an extremely generous welfare system. Ireland has free education. Ireland has grants to pay for poorer/disadvantaged people through college. Ireland has free mature student courses and grants for mature students.

Any Irish person not taking advantage of the above privileges is doing so of their own free will. There is no “poverty trap” stopping them from availing of them. The “poverty trap” is in your head. It’s racism/hinderence of low expectations. Made up by the alleged “betters”, generally woke, members of society to paint everyone who doesn’t have everything they want as victims of society. Black and didn’t get the job? must be racism, couldn’t possibly have been a better candidate. From a council estate and on the dole, smoking dope every day? That’ll be the “poverty trap”, nothing to do with the fact you threw away a free education and couldn’t be arsed signing up for one now.

Its quite pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

There's no poverty trap in Ireland, there's only bad choices and politicians enabling them for short term gains. It's easier to pay welfare now rather than push people into education to be able to provide a better life for themselves after some years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Seems to be something you’ve rehearsed rather than getting the point that your anecdote just doesn’t carry any weight in a discussion on social policies. Nobody is disputing the fact that we do indeed have a fairly generous welfare system, that we have free education and so on and all that good stuff that your brother chose not to avail of and all the rest of it.

What I am saying, and what you don’t appear to be getting, is that you’re making all these claims about immigrants committing fraud and how they must be kept out and whatever else, and the Irish Government spends millions of euro on doing just that already. They spend even more on Direct Provision, even more millions again on ensuring that migrants are not permitted to participate in Irish society and have the same opportunities as your pot-smoking bro. Chances are your pot-smoking bro and immigrants have a lot more in common culturally speaking at least than you or I do with each other! 🤔

I don’t mean that to be a scary thought, but it’s far less likely either immigrants or your brother are any great threat to Irish society, as opposed to to sharp-suited sorts who like I said earlier - couldn’t care less about your ideas for Irish society. I wouldn’t say you were pathetic for thinking only for you Irish society would fall apart at the seams though, but I might well be wondering what are you smoking? 🤔

With respect, there are quite a few people in Ireland "condemned" to poverty. Ireland is an expensive country to live and grows more expensive each year. There are all manner of people who can't, for one reason or another, gain access to full welfare supports, or regain any kind of decent position on the employment ladder. That would include both Irish natives, or immigrants (nope, not using this "new Irish" term. Either you're Irish or you're not). Nor are they spongers but people that the system has failed to provide for.

When I was young, I was told that we pay tax so that the lowest or the most needy people in our society would be provided for. Our society. Our people first. Then, look to being generous to other groups.

TBH one of my sticking points about Ireland's immigration policy with regards to refugees is that they take away resources, and attention, from the areas that affect the lowest socio-economic groups in this country.. with which there has been a remarkable lack of progress in eliminating the problem.

Ahh... There are bad choices, and there is bad luck. I know a few people who had a run of bad luck, lost their businesses, owe others money, and couldn't get much from welfare or government aid to help. Ireland can be a difficult place if you're considered to be "middle class", irrespective of the problems you're facing right now. I know others who have been judged by the means of their parents, even when they have no contact nor are receiving any help from them.

It's not as clear cut as there being only bad choices. That becomes more true as a country becomes advanced, and wealthier. At least on paper anyway.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t class a dope smoker as a junkie. You seem to be moulding everything I saw into one singular story haha.

The Irish govt spends millions on DP every year. The Irish government spends millions on FREE legal aid for these chancers every year. The Irish government is now granting these chancers amnesty, and a chance to legally suckle on the teat of Irish welfare, rather than dealing with the problem. The Irish government spend millions on feeding and clothing these people, millions educating their children, on top of the almost 1bn we spend on Foreign Aid out of the country each year.

Were immigrants not a threat in Nice? Manchester? Paris? Koln? Malmö? Belgium? Were they not a threat in the Bataclan? Or on the London Buses? Or towards Lee Rigby? Did Ireland not have the highest amount of arrests per capita for Muslim extremism last year, or were the Gardai lying? Not a threat, until they are. Then, after the fact, we get the handwringing from people like you that ‘we’ aren’t doing enough to help them integrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Once again you are looking to narrow the bandwidth as to what constitutes multiculturalism so as to be able to say it doesn't exist in a meaningful way.

30 years ago the same conversations were happening about concerns about Poles and others coming to Ireland.

The integration of people from different backgrounds does not have to be immediate or seamless for it to be considered a success. Looking at the world today versus 100 years ago and the continued progression towards multicultural societies is evident of just how things are changing over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Poles were'nt coming here 30 years ago, nor was anyone else so straight off the bat you're spoofing

Meh, potayto potahto 😂

Look, we’re agreed the Irish Government spends millions on efforts to limit immigrants participation in Irish society, not talking about the immigrants now who you’re perfectly fine with who immigrate into this country and pay their taxes and all the rest of it (and share my love of whiskey 😏), we’re talking about the immigrants who are kept in DP accommodation paid for by Government to the tune of millions.

That’s why I’m saying your anecdotes and your complaining about people you see as robbing Irish society - you’re simply eyeballing the wrong people! The people who are robbing you blind are your own people, the natives, the people who like you pulled themselves up by their bootstraps and availed of every scheme going (hell they even came up with a few themselves).

And wasn’t it you who said that I don’t live in the UK or the US as much as to say I shouldn’t be concerned about what goes on there? Surely the same applies too then to your fearmongering about what goes on in other European countries and African nations and so on? Seeing as we’re both Irish and living in Ireland, according to you we should be of the same culture, yet it doesn’t appear we are? It appears you have an entirely different perspective of culture than other natives, let alone worrying about immigrants perspectives of culture which you claim is incompatible with “our” culture.

What’s with the “people like you” crap? Can you not address an actual argument without referring to your notes that you’d rehearsed? Immigrants integrate just fine in this country and have done for years now in spite of some people’s best efforts to portray them as some sort of a threat to “Irish culture”, however when pressed on what they mean by “Irish culture” or “Irish society” as if there actually exists a homogeneous group… you’ll find they come up with all sorts of different answers based upon their own ideas of what Irish culture and society is to them.

You're right of course, no conversations at all about the expansion of the EU and how that would lead to more and more people coming to Ireland. Yeah, none of that happened.

And if you still think it didn't happen, just look at how conservatives talk about every topic which involves tany change which might be argued by some as being progressive. That gets an automatic no and resistance from those who are petrified at the thought of change.

You guys have an uncanny ability to close your eyes to the reality of what is happening now and has happened in the past. Exact same with the BLM conversation in 2020 and rigidly ignoring the fact that the same accusations that were aimed at those protestors were aimed at the civil rights marchers of the 60's.

• Advertisement

Ah you are one of those who reads a sentence, and change it to whatever you want it to mean. It was your buddy Robbie who said we shouldn’t compare to other countries because this thread is about Ireland. I stated, quite clearly, that as we are not from US/U.K. that we should have no residual “white guilt” for past indiscretions. It’s literally a few posts up in black and white.

As for “people like you”, if the cap fits.

You seem to think that all illegal immigrants are in DP? There are thousands all over the country working in the black market, such as Brazilian visa overstayers.

Pointless talking to someone with such a blinkered view. The govt is robbing us, so it’s grand that illegal immigrants are too.

I’m not changing anything to whatever I want it to mean at all. You said “you people” and when I asked you what you meant by that, all you could say was “if the cap fits”, which doesn’t tell me anything?

You’re trying to make a cap fit, but it doesn’t, and you’re certainly not going to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes either with your fearmongering nonsense and your faux concern for the Irish taxpayer and all the rest of it. You also brought up that whole “white guilt” nonsense when I never mentioned anything about the colour of anyone’s skin or anything else, which is what made me think your whole shtick is rehearsed. The “you people” bit confirms it while you’re trying to convince anyone your only interests are in preserving Irish culture and protecting the natives (and some shìte about tribalism).

You don’t preserve a culture by keeping it to yourself, that is in fact the quickest way a culture dies out.

If I lost everything tomorrow and no way of paying for anything, the first thing I would do would be trying to get the first paid employment that I possibly could. There are always jobs out there if you are willing to lower your expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

If you are going to quote me quote me Fandymo. But you won't because I haven't said anything like your are trying to imply.

Don't make up something and ascribe it to me.

I have said consistently that this thread is about multiculturalism in Ireland. Because eh lol look at the title and read it to yourself. What do you think the title means?

If you really want to compare Ireland to Belgium france or any other country that has a colonial past in Africa, Asia and the americas then we would need to begin the comparison there.

Because historically ireland is different to those countries isn't it?

You can't just cherry pick the bits you want to compare and ignore the rest.

Well actually that's not true as this thread shows many will try but it would be very stupid to do so.

But then if you want to do that is a thread on multiculturalism in Ireland the right place. Would it not be of topic and actually a discussion on colonial history and the implications for today?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The integration of people from different backgrounds does not have to be immediate or seamless for it to be considered a success. Looking at the world today versus 100 years ago and the continued progression towards multicultural societies is evident of just how things are changing over time.

You guys have an uncanny ability to close your eyes to the reality of what is happening now and has happened in the past. Exact same with the BLM conversation in 2020 and rigidly ignoring the fact that the same accusations that were aimed at those protestors were aimed at the civil rights marchers of the 60's.

Look at the progress indeed. If anyone is blind to the realities of what is happening. That you note BLM is still required after 50 years of apparent progress since the 1960's... This "continued progression"of the last 100 years seems to be a terribly slow one. In any European nation, or indeed any Western "multicultural" nation who is more likely to be in receipt of social welfare, in prison, unemployed, less educated? Those of European, African or Asian background. Please point to one where this is not the case. Ireland which has been multicultural for not much more than 20 years the exact same trends are already in play.

You're right of course, no conversations at all about the expansion of the EU and how that would lead to more and more people coming to Ireland. Yeah, none of that happened.

30 years ago this country was crawling out of a deep recession where more people left than came into the country so any conversations about people coming in were very much on the fringes.

And if you still think it didn't happen, just look at how conservatives talk about every topic which involves tany change which might be argued by some as being progressive. That gets an automatic no and resistance from those who are petrified at the thought of change.

Well I for one like and embrace change and the Ireland of today while always needing improvement of course is in general better on a fair few fronts than the Ireland of the past. The very first referendum I could vote in was the first divorce one and I voted yes and it didn't pass. The second one where I also voted yes did pass and by the skin of its teeth. I voted yes for SSM and repeal of the 8th. I'm for social medicine, education and supports. Indeed I would expand those, while making it more efficient. To the more right leaning posters around here I'm damned near a communist. I was thinking and voting "correctly" before it was a throwaway line in a twitter bio and I love change. However with the caveat when and if that change is not repeating the mistakes of the past or the mistakes of others.

I was even gung ho enough for "multiculturalism" until the more I looked at it the more it seemed like a very naive set of empty promises, not least for those groups least like the native populations coming in. A politic based on hoping human nature would change rather than acknowledging how human nature actually works in day to day realities.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

So wibbs what is it in human nature do you think that is causing this disparity in integrating that you see with those of african heritage. Is it genetic to you?

Or are you trying to say that all humans are inherently racist?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope, not genetic, or "race". Even a brief trawl through history will show this and show the genetic argument to be bogus. If there were Nobel prizes a couple of thousand years ago those of Greek extraction would be hoovering up the awards with embarrassing ease, whereas those of Jewish extraction wouldn't get in the door. Today that would be completely reversed. If the same prizes were on the go in the early medieval there would have been a load of Arabic and indeed even a few Irish names on the list. By the late medieval they'd be pretty much nowhere. China has gone from periods of incredible innovations to long periods of stasis. All the same "genetics" and "races", but different cultures and circumstances, wider and local. We can see that today. EG in the UK those of Indian extraction are more successful as a group than those of Pakistani extraction. Same "race".

Humans being inherently racist is a bit simplistic. However I would say that humans are inherently tribal and local and have a stong sense of Them Vs Us. That's very clear indeed throughout history and cultures. We were of course tribal when we well, lived in tribes. It seems less so than previous human subspecies as we formed larger tribes and larger trade networks quite early on. Of course violence between such groups flared up on the regular. Then with the agricultural revolution we grew bigger and bigger "tribes" as we moved into urban living which caused all sorts of extra stressors and we most certainly retained that Them Vs Us and doubled down on it in many ways. Things like differences in culture religion and skin colour just make it easier to point out the Us and the Them. On all sides. Though it can be extremely subtle too. To an Asian or European going to Rwanda picking out the difference between a Tutsi or a Hutu would be a headscratcher, but clearly and tragically the locals thought they could. The same Rwandans in 1970's Ulster would be scratching their heads over the difference between Catholics and Protestants.

If we look at past societies that are seen as multicultural, a consistent trait is that the overarching culture is very strong and equally very defensive of its own culture. Other cultures may be tolerated, even welcomed if they're bringing in a few quid, but they are down the pecking order to varying degrees. We see that in Rome, the Caliphate and China. Hell we see that in America. America was founded by White European Protestant Christians and it was a White European Protestant Christian, where "all men are created equal" if they belonged to that group. Thet this was signed by slave owners is one of the biggest ironies in history. It has largely remained White European Protestant Christian too and only the demogrpahic shifts have slanted it much beyond that. It was and in many ways still is a monoculture with multicultural parts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

So its not genetic and its not inherent in humans so its a learned trait then?

Nope I most certainly did not say that. Though I am not surprised you might take this tack. In general terms a way to differentiate the "left" from the "right" is where they stand on the nature/nurture debate. The right are all about nature, the left nurture. The former see human nature as fixed and that's just the way it is(hence them not liking change itself), the latter see human nature as a blank slate and entirely formed by learned behaviour and if we just changed the learning people would magically change. The nurture is the more hopeful view, but both positions are woefully simplistic and don't fit human nature nearly so easily.

You asked if the outcomes of different populations was based on genetics. I explained why this isn't the case. You then asked if humans are inherently racist and I said this was the simplistic view, but that humans are inherently tribal and race is just another way to point out the different. The tribe may be cultural, but the inherent tribalism isn't. If this was a learned behaviour we could easily point out cultures and nations who don't follow these patterns and even with the vast span of human history we can't. For all the talk of people seeing the commonalities between groups when mixing history ancient and present quite clearly demonstrates we're more likely to point to the differences.

You called yourself a communist so I assume you fall on the nurture side then. Or are you special and you alone don't fall into these left right ways of thinking?

• Advertisement

Robbie - I have a question for you. Do you concede there are any negatives from multiculturalism? If so, what are they?

Complains about subtle digs then throws overt insults 🙄. Grow up man.

Questioning reading comprehension gets posters banned but it is ok for wibbsy the communist not left leaning nor right leaning he is just hanging out there in his own political spectrum throwing insults. Everyone else has to be one or the other but not you. So you are deeming yourself special wibbarooney.

So yet again the posters of the multiculturalism in Ireland thread cannot find a single thing positive about Irish society or culture but we must defend it at all costs from those foreigners coming here to blow us up and decapitate us.

I was even gung ho enough for "multiculturalism" until the more I looked at it the more it seemed like a very naive set of empty promises, not least for those groups least like the native populations coming in. A politic based on hoping human nature would change rather than acknowledging how human nature actually works in day to day realities.

Maybe looking at it where you see promises of any sort whether that be in the media, in political announcements or even commentary from public bodies or groups advocating for multiculturalism will invariably lead to believe that they are false. The same could be said about a lot of other topics.

But look at the continued integration of people and cultural practices at an individual level and when you see just how it is happening seamlessly in the vast majority of cases. Both in practice, and in views towards it, there are extremists, at both sides, but (like any Bell curve), the majority of cases or views in the middle are not representative of these.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threadbanned again - this one will not be lifted

The ‘negatives’ so far which have been ascribed to multiculturalism are more to do with groups of humans having to share a confined space and wanting everything their own way.

It’s taking a very narrow view of culture to suggest that culture is only based upon one single criteria such as ethnicity or heritage when the concept is so much broader than that. Different cultures exist within Irish society without immigrants ever being part of Irish society, and what’s happening is much of what’s been argued here is about self-preservation, not multiculturalism.

By way of example, posters have argued that increased immigration increases tensions between different groups of people in Irish society. That’s not as a consequence of multiculturalism, it’s as a consequence of one group or groups trying to impose their values on another group or groups. That’s not multiculturalism, it’s an attempt at assimilation. That doesn’t tend to work out well for anyone with groups resisting assimilation and wanting to maintain their own separate culture and heritage and traditions and so on.

Multiculturalism itself isn’t the problem, people trying to impose their will upon others in order to eradicate their culture, are A problem, for people who wish to maintain their culture and heritage and traditions.

I assume you are educated? No physical or mental disabilities? Nothing just a little off-putting that might affect how others respond to you? You don't have a dependent that needs you nearby, perhaps a child with a IED? I could go on with heaps of other examples.

In any case, you've shifted goalposts. The previous post wasn't primarily about employment. It was about welfare, or state supports, which can be gained for reasons other than unemployment.

Children shouldn’t have improvised explosive devices. Especially if they are going to use them to stop you going to work.

I’ve no kids, can’t afford one at the moment, amazingly can get the ride, but take responsibility so that I don’t get someone pregnant. So they wouldn’t effect my ability to work.

I suffer occasionally from depression and panic attacks, they’ve never stopped me from having a job, I’ve my Leaving and never been on the dole, I’ve always found something, I’ve worked in supermarkets, building sites, planting flowers, selling scratch cards for Rehab, restaurants, fast food outlets, and various office jobs. There was a point when I was about 19/20 that I considered going on the dole, but I thought it would make me too comfortable and I’d end up on it long term.

I feel like an idiot sometimes, for not just milking the system.

"Intermittent explosive disorder is a lesser-known mental disorder marked by episodes of unwarranted anger. It is commonly described as “flying into a rage for no reason.” In an individual with intermittent explosive disorder, the behavioral outbursts are out of proportion to the situation". A disorder that is apparently on the rise.

I don't milk the system either, although I could. I have a shaking disorder that interferes in any kind of physical work, and since it's noticeable, many employers feel uncomfortable putting me in front of others. Oh, sure, there's anti-discrimination laws, but, in reality and for the long-term, they do little to help, unless you're looking for a pay-out. However, I'm lucky since I have supportive family, and that's allowed me to gain an education (in spite of many failures), which opened up a range of employment where my shakes are of less a concern... all the same I've lost count of the times where I've been excluded from positions, due to (fairly reasonable) fears about my shakes impacting my work. Because I know, from experience, that they do impact my work, and mindset.

The point though is that there are many people who are not as lucky as I was. I'm part of a support group for people with "Essential Tremor" but also those with Parkinson's, or Alzheimer's, although our group is more about the shakes side of things.. and many people are not lucky with who their parents are, where they live, or the conditions of their ailment, and subsequent effect it has on their lifestyles.

Think back to what I said originally. Many people are simply unlucky, or have a series of bad experiences. Yes, choice is definitely a factor, and personal responsibility should always be a given, but there is more to life than those. Bad things happen to good people. Sometimes for an extended period of time.

I have little patience with lifers on the dole. I agree that there are usually options, especially now, with the advancement of online work/business. However, in any society there are going to be people who fall outside the social norms, due to their own individual circumstances. For me, a civilized nation is one that recognizes this and provides for them.. although that doesn't mean looking for foreigners to bring/allow in, so they can join those in need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

This is the key test that all advocates of mass migration desperately dodge. Open border and mass migration is a government policy. Does this policy help or hinder indigenous Irish people? Consider basic economics, supply and demand. Does it help or hinder low skilled indigenous Irish people that the supply of cheap labour is expanded to the entire world population? Does it help or hinder high skilled indigenous Irish people that the supply of highly paid labour is expanded to the entire world population? Does it help or hinder indigenous Irish people that the demand for housing is expanded to be enough to house the world? Does it help or hinder Irish people that increasing environmental damage is done to build enough apartment blocks, roads and services? Does it help or hinder indigenous Irish people that existing transport networks suffer greater and greater congestion with more and more cars? Does it help or hinder indigenous Irish people that economically dependent groups on non-indigenous people are formed? Does it help or hinder indigenous Irish people that they must live in a society under increasingly restrictive laws regarding freedom of expression to avoid conflict with newly formed non-Irish groups? Does it help or hinder indigenous Irish people that they are increasingly disenfranchised and diminished within their own homeland?

I can quite clearly see the benefits of mass migration to the super wealthy, rent seekers and the migrants themselves. But still, even now with 1 in 5 Irish residents having been born abroad, the majority of Irish voters the government claims fealty to are not served by this policy of mass migration. Any reasonable person would agree it should be ended.

It is an awful policy, against the interests of the Irish people. A foreign, hostile power might be reasonably expected to carry it out. Not an Irish government with the best interests of the Irish people as their primary concern.

Advertisement