Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

You can also look at http://ecars-stats.com/ to check how busy the chargers have been over the past month.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭greyday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

There are plenty of options on the Dublin Cork route, Ballacolla, Portlaoise as well as the ones already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

Many hotels have one charger, some have more, the best place is probably Clayton Hotel Dublin Airport that has a few chargers, and an ESB 50kW charger next door, so you have multiple options.

If you do this, mid trip charging will be minimised to get you to your hotel or home. At hotel a 64kWh battery will charge at 7kW per hour, so up to 10 hours if flat, newer Kona may be 11kW rate, so maybe 6 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

People were turning on Autopilot during the test. It wasn't because it was an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

Most in Czechia are also like that - on an isle and the car can park on both sides. That's the correct layout not the "Ecars" one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The Gardaí have just added 7 Kona EV's to their fleet

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1427941017437839364?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Do they still have that Ioniq?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

“The project is to test on-street EV charging using a specially designed ‘gully’ or channel installed into the pavement which allows residents to safely connect their EV to their home electricity supply when parked outside their home.”

Haven’t heard of this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Nothing really new here from a technical standpoint, it's just a covered channel the cable sits into

Basically the problems with on-street charging were never technically challenging, they just required either funding for public chargers or councils to change their planning laws

Methinks obtaining blood from a rock would be an easier feat that either of those two 😑

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Meanwhile in countries that can actually do something

1000 fast charging parks, minimum 4 chargers per site, minimum 300kW charging power available (although it doesn't say each charger needs to supply that much, so it could be split). Funded with €2 billion from the German federal government

Price cap of 44c/kWh, so that's Ionity pushed out of the market straight away. Not sure I totally agree with price caps, but it is nice to see some consumer protection built into government grants

Location determined by a combination of AI and lottery draw per area, so there should be a good distribution of sites

And once again, Ireland has been left in the dust

Although I appreciate and agree with your sentiment you just can't compare Ireland to Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

No, but it shows that the gov does something. We get a 5-6 year 20M investment plastered on all press releases when it comes to EVs. In the national picture it's such a minuscule figure. 4M a year. That equates with few hundred of meters of motorway if one would compare some infrastructure costs. Since 2019 when the 20M which is 10M state and 10M ESB nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I know but even if scaled for population (Ireland is about 1/20th the population of Germany) that's give us 50 charging hubs with at least 200 fast chargers, more than double what we currently have

I get that Germany is geographically larger and has a lot of international road traffic as well as domestic road users, but even if we halved that for Ireland it would still be €50 million of funding, more than twice what is currently available

The thing I find most frustrating is the level of thought going into the plans in Germany, how they're taking measures to ensure the chargers are well spread along both autobahns and urban areas. Whereas in Ireland we have the vast majority on HPCs clustered along 2 routes and a veritable wasteland of chargers in the entire northwest of the country

Just a perfect example of Gov oversight incompetence

Just received this email from EasyGo (highlighting is not mine). I thought the eCars overstay fee only applied once per session?

Dear xyz

As you know, we continue to provide access onto all EasyGo, ESB and Ionity / Circle K chargers across Ireland. 

Where EasyGo customers charge at partner sites, we are obliged to apply the fee according to the access rules they apply on their chargers. The rates applicable at each charge-point location are clearly set out on the EasyGo app. 

We have had questions recently in regard to ESB policy of applying an overstay fee (of €5 +VAT) where users continue charging on ANY eCars Charger (AC & DC) for more than 45 minutes and for every 45 minutes thereafter. This charger access rule and associated fee is decided upon and applied by ESB.  

By comparison, where you use an EasyGo charger, no such rule and associated fee is applied.  

Should you have questions or issues in relation to this ESB policy, we suggest you contact ESB eCars directly. 

We hope this information is helpful and should ESB eCars change this policy we will update you.

Kindest Regards,

EasyGo Team

Maybe these rules are set by ecars in their roaming agreement with easygo cause the ecars overstay is 4.60 +VAT is once per charging session and added only at chargers >22kW.

• Advertisement

“the cables are six-metres-long and spring-loaded, so they’re easy to lift and should reach the far corner of your car no matter which way you park – no more awkward U-turns having realised that the cable doesn’t reach! The “dispensers” are very compact, so they can be installed in more locations than some conventional chargers, and the cables’ temperature management negates the need for liquid cooling, reducing maintenance requirements and improving reliability.”

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

^^^^^^

eCars be like;

I think Kempower deserve a prize for the design of the charge points if nothing else. The way the cables are kept high up by springs and don't fall on the ground to end up damaged is pure genius

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Germany have large motoring manufacturing, this in essence is state funding for them. Which the state will get back through taxes on employment, sales and corporation tax

we don’t have any motor manufacturing, so the state isn’t as incentivised

I must admit I never heard this excuse before and it is a good one. In the meantime Dublin charging map looks like this Sunday morning @08:00

The available ones are "power limited" so if you're lucky you get 22kW out of them. I refer here to Honey Park and Templeville. Dublin Port is just to cumbersome unless you're getting of a ferry but it is close to ecars headquarters.

Dublin beside being one of the few capitals in EU without a subway does not have a single HPC. we're still on the same rapids as in 2016. Some people are waking up @3am to charge, it seems here

which kinda shows a bit of desperation if you ask me.

Now that I'm thinking I believe I heard the excuse that we are among the few countries in the EU where we pay VRT up to 36% just because there is no automotive industry here. So maybe not that new at the end.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

That 3am activity is fairly consistent. Shift worker charging perhaps? Far busier than you'd expect though.

Side note, that 0,0,0 etc at 23:00 kinda looks like a bug, or UTC time breaking my balls. I'll check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I would have thought that the government would be incentivised to reduce import of hydrocarbons? Every additional EV would probably reduce HC import by about 10 tons over its lifetime. 20,000 km p.a. @ 5l/100km over 15 odd years. Take away the HC used for electricity generation and you get in that ballpark. 100k EVs per annum will reduce hydrocarbon import by a million tons over their lifetime.

Polluting vehicles mean more tax revenue for the government from VRT, fuel excise and road tax

The only incentive for the government to reduce emissions is to appeal to voters, in that case it's more important to appear to be doing something than actually doing anything

Yes it is odd alright. Still the charger is used at all hours of the day all the days of the week. You'd normally expect no utilization during the night on the fast chargers. That shows a big demand in the area. I used to use this charger a lot.

Here is yesterday @2pm. That is pretty mental.

From your stats. around 1000 sessions per day right now. A session gets max 10 quid but let call it 5. That is 5k a day or 150k a month. And this is only the rapid charging. I know there are operating costs but still is not bleeding money for a business which got 10M to revamp their operations. Anyway all that could have been avoided if the gov really wanted to build an infrastructure to sustain the desired 1M EVs on the road. Because even if we believe the "80% charging at home" and 20k km average driving in a year that still leaves 4 billion km to be "fueled" buy a public network (Monday morning my math could be off 20k*1M*0.2).

• Advertisement

...and the UK putting in just short of a billion to bring all services stations up to date with hub of rapids

In March 2021, Transport Minister Rachel Maclean told Electrifying.com that the British government would be spending nearly £1 billion on improving the electric vehicle chargers on main roads. She said every motorway service area would have at least six rapid chargers by 2023, and that there would be 6,000 chargers across the major road network by 2030. These would be available to all road users with a contactless payment card, and the companies provided them would be contractually bound to provide a service that works at least 99% of the time, and to provide a 24 hour customer support line.

Advertisement