Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

nasty crash.

halo definetly helped the first driver. the whole front of the car came down on the top of the halo. definetly could have been lethal there without it

the slow mo is very frightening with the followoing cars plowing in on top

• Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

On the red bull driver situation, does anyone else think its a bit wild that a complete journeyman like Kvyat got 2 stints in the RB, but they're not considering Gasley for the red bull seat?

I don't object to Perez as he's been ok as a no.2 driver and even sneaked a lucky win for the team one of the days he was third fastest driver on track. But I'd certainly rate Gasley at least equal to Perez* and Gasley is a RB driver and surely has far more potential than Perez.

I wonder if they'll consider Gasley for 2023. If he keeps up his current form then someone will surely be offering him a decent drive.

*I'd rate Gasley ahead of Perez

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think Gasley dirtied his bib with the way he reacted to his Red Bull struggles — by all accounts he put a lot of blame on engineers, the car rather than take accountability.

No question he’s a fast driver and is flying in Alpha Tauri, but for Red Bull, he also needs to deal with adversity and pressure.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Considering Albon and, for the most part, Perez haven’t exactly set the world alight in the same car, Red Bull could do with perhaps trying to listen to him.

The AT isn’t that far removed from the RB, yet Gasly consistently gets close to the 2nd RB.

Watching Horner’s attitude towards any questions around Gasly on DTS said to me that they want to be proven right that Gasly was the problem even though everything since then suggests otherwise.

Hopefully he continues to shine in the AT next year and someone gets him out of that RB nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Kvyat only got 1 go in the Red Bull, unless you mean 2 seasons and he got dropped what 5/6 races in for Max

Perez is now doing better than Gasly did, it mightn't be good enough but they're taking the simpler solution, I can see why they're not changing it up

You're right though Gasly is on a stormer last year or so, someone will nab him for sure in 2023

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It also frees up loads of money for paying tossers to spam social media with PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Perez is doing better than Gasly did...

Is he though? When comparing Gasly/Albon/Perez people seem to forget that this is the first year that the Red Bull car is the joint fastest on the grid, compared to a distant second in previous years, so naturally Perez has finished in higher positions. I'd be interested to see the stats comparing each team mate's qualy times and race finish times vs Max.

Perez quali times would be similarly terrible. Race pace would probably be a bit better. The fact that he has the joint best car means he can make up for his terrible qualifying. They have a good engine this year too which makes overtaking much more achievable. The likes of Albon were stuck down the grid and couldn't advance. I don't think Perez is doing miles better if you levelled the cars, but that's not how it works. Perez won a race. Mostly due to luck, and people like him. He's rated much higher than his driving deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

One caveat to this is that Verstappen is still only 23 years old and he's improved massively as a driver in recent years - he's not a static benchmark against which each of his teammates can be compared. Obviously Gasly is young and will still be improving too while Perez at 31 years old will already be at his peak. But to me it just seems obvious that Verstappen is such a complete driver at this point that nobody Red Bull hire would get close to him, short of getting hold of Alonso and a time machine. Perez was well established as one of the fastest drivers on the grid before Red Bull hired him and he's doing about as well as anyone would, while showing maturity and also being particularly strong on tyre management which opens up more tactical possibilities for the team. Chopping and changing the driver line up again would just hurt stability without having any real likelihood of improving anything.

I don't think Perez was ever "well established as one of the fastest drivers on the grid". When people ranked drivers into clusters they would usually have had ham and max in thr top tier, then the likes of leclerc, Ricciardo, Noris. Nobody was including perez in that second tier. He was well established as probably towards the top of the cluster of drivers who are average or above average.

His popularity makes people rate him better than his performance deserve and the win last year drive his rankings even higher but he's not a top driver. For example, Bottas is having a very poor season by his standards and is about as fast as Perez, but few in these threads would rate them as being about the same precisely because Bottas isn't a popular driver on these threads.

I've seen Bottas ranked as the 3rd slowest driver on the grid, in these threads. That's bonkers. He's probably faster than perez when he's not having a poor season. They're certainly about the same overall and nobody is claiming that Bottas was well established as one of the top drivers.

Perez is a grand no.2. And he's (as a seasoned pro) getting more out of the RB than Gasley did (as a rookie). So he's worth another year in the RB. But I'd bet on Gasley becoming a much better driver than Perez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Back to the popularity shtick again :D

Its a part of the race weekend at this point these utter rubbish hot takes. Same as when Crofty gets drivers wrong mid race.

You never fail to tune in. Never manage to find an argument against what I've said though. If it was wrong, then surely it would be easy to refute. But you don't, because it's pretty true. Drivers who are similar in terms of speed are ranked very differently because of their popularity.

Perez is a big beneficiary of that dynamic and Bottas is the opposite. Even though they're about the same in terms of speed ( and points this year)

"Never fail to tune in" this is the only thread about the 2021 season so hard to avoid it each race weekend.

Its amusing dedication to being wrong time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

As a long time fan of Perez, I'm scratching my head at the description of Perez as popular. I haven't seen much evidence of that on here over the years. Many here considered him just a pay driver who was only on the grid because of Carlos Slim's money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

A couple of years ago he's the one who saved the Silverstone outfit once known as Jordan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

And before that he was the guy who 'tried to kill' Ocon after their incident at Spa or the guy who got a chance in a big team (Mclaren) and blew it.

He did blow his chance at mclaren, is that even disputed? And he is a pay driver. But he's not only on the grid because of his money in the way Latifi and Mazepin are. The money he brings can't hurt his chances of getting a drive though. And even with all his money he was either going to red bull or he was out of the sport this year. That's not a sign of a "top driver".

He's grand and he's a no.2 because he's an ok driver. Nobody would seriously call him a top driver though. He's a likeable guy. Comes across as a sound man.

Perez joined McLaren at the worst possible time, they had a big reputation and big expectations but the car was utterly terrible that year.

As a near rookie, he actually wasn’t too far off Button who was a well established team leader at that point having seen off Hamilton who he outscored over the previous three seasons together.

Perez lost the qualifying head to head with Jenson by just 10-9. His biggest issue was fighting Jenson too hard in the races leading to a couple of collisions, something he repeated with Ocon but seems to have matured out of in more recent years.

• Advertisement

I don't know whether I should be relieved or dismayed at the total impossibility of the Daesh Gold Grand Prix lasting 2 laps.

Anyway, I'm wondering how many here have shunted an F1 race weekend way down their list of holiday ideas.

The sad fact is that if F1 faced any sort of backlash from the Belgian public for this, Spa will get its slot filled by Sochi, and we'll get another race at somewhere built by sla-I mean, migrant workers.

Yeah I used to attend at least one race per year, haven’t been since 2016 as the cars are far less spectacular in person than they used to be but I would want to go back at some stage.

After this race though it’s definitely something that would play on my mind that in the event of a bit of rain they won’t make an honest fist of trying to put a race on like they used to in the old days.

Hopefully it’s something Liberty Media put pressure on the FIA to sort out. Get rid of parc ferme rules, jack up ride heights, whatever it is they need to do to allow the cars to race in the sort of conditions they routinely raced in for most of the sport’s history.

In a world with a changing climate, thanks in no small part to some of F1’s biggest sponsors, they need to be able to race in difficult conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Maybe before the full new rules are introduced, someone will ask "what if it rains?".

Any chance they can ask that of Pirelli too?

Jack up the ride height and put more reliance on ground effect to take from the aero effect and difficulty overtaking.

F1 is a confused sport. It's lost its place as the forefront of motorsport innovation. That's just the natural evolution of things, I suppose.

Bit I'd agree the fact that the cars can't race in some rain is ridiculous. They should be able to raise the ride height of the cars for rain.

How so? I'm happy to criticise Pirelli but the Wets and Inters seem fine. Considering the excuse today was visibility maybe they're too good?

Yeah the FIA never actually allow them to race in conditions that are wet enough for the wet tyres so hard to see what Pirelli can do there.

Good point, I guess I was just lazy by jumping to blaming Pirelli.

Now that I've had some time to think on it, I imagine Norris's crash was a massive factor in the FIA's decision. All it would take is a repeat of that crash and rebound on the first racing lap, and we have ourselves a repeat of Hubert's and Correa's collision.

I still feel sorry for the fans who stood in the downpour for upwards of 12 hours just to get a literal procession, a George Russell podium and (if they drove to the circuit) their wheel arches caked in mud.

• Advertisement

Motorsport.com: F1 set for talks over rule changes after Belgian GP "farce".

Suggestion here is that they're going to review it to ensure they don't award points without proper racing in the future. I suppose they'll just include a clause on your ticket that there aren't refunds if the race can't go ahead.

They're also suggesting looking at the possibility of holding the race on another day. I'd doubt that's likely to happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement