Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Nobody had any evidence of any of this happening pre 2019. But it happened. Now that we have had almost 2 years of experience of trends, government wording, etc we can all make a guess.

It is comforting to a lot of people if they tie every occurance down to presence of evidence. Others prefer to be aware when they see smoke. IMO there is a lot of smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why wouldn't they fall? Nolan has indicated modelling shows we are near peak in the next week or so. People may have had issues with some of their more ludicrous projections for July-September but it doesn't mean they are useless to us. We are now moving to living with COVID, which means normal life with some possible measures remaining, masks for example.

Severe symptoms mean hospital, anything less is effectively a cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Well the reality is, this is a pandemic like no other in previous decades.

I read people comparing it to the Spanish flu but the Spanish flu’s high mortality rate was, in part, due to the virulence of the virus. Social differences also played a role. In 1918, people tended to live in close quarters and perhaps did not value hygiene as much. These factors can influence how quickly a virus spreads and how lethal it can be. It was also lethal for people in their 20’s when covid is not.

Infection rates with covid will continue to rise as will hospital cases but the truth is in the data. People aren’t dying and through extent of these “hospital admissions” requires further clarity and analysis.

How many of these cases were admitted to hospital becuase of the virus? You will find it to be very little.

The frustrating part of this thread is the negative slant people like to take, in the next breathe they refuse to actually try understand the situation.

Covid will be considered an endemic by mid next year. There won’t anymore lockdowns but restrictions will likely remain in the place for a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Smoke? Such as NPHET being disbanded. Such as all other countries continuing to open up, regardless of cases?

I won't, as I'll be out enjoying myself whilst a few on here will still be worrying about numbers and convincing each other of another lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Who are you talking to? The imaginary anti vax boogy man? We have one of the highest updates in the world.

I'm not putting my head in the sand, I'm looking at things objectively. If anything, I'd accuse others on here of looking at alarming headlines, screaming "lockdown, lockdown" before they retreat to putting their collective heads in the sand. I don't know if it's borne out of a fear of actual normality returning, an anti-vax agenda, or just plain trolling, but it has been clear for a long time that there is a cohort on here (not specifically you OP) who would only love for more restrictions, lockdowns, etc. Maybe so they could claim "I told you so" or "I won that argument".

As for the numbers, yes, I agree they don't look good. But we are approaching/at the peak. So a fall off would be expected from here on, where we will always have some infections, hospital admissions and, unfortunately, even deaths from covid. Look at the UK, they have accepted it. I would suggest others on here would do so as well and stop living in fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Oh my God really?

Absolutely terrifying

Better close every school in the country and lock down for 6 months just in case

Hold firm

My god, the horror of that scenario. So some children who, in general, are not susceptible to the disease may contract it! And worse, they may pass it onto some vaccinated people, who have a very small chance of developing a cold. And what's that, they may pass it on further to more vaccinated people who also get the cold. Jesus, we better lockdown again so.

Once we begin to accept that Covid is endemic and will always be around, only then can we move on. Until then there will always be people scared and frightened of "cases", "de numbers", "outbreaks", which will be by-and-large meaningless when the whole country is vaccinated. And yes, some very few, unfortunate vaccinated people will still die, as the vaccines are not perfect, but that is life. Life isn't perfect, isn't without risk. Vaccines have significantly decreased the risk posed by Covid to the extent that we can move on. If we choose to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

LOL! Of course they did, they’re a teacher! They want another 6 month paid holiday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Yes, I have. In fact I think my very first post in this thread was about some stupid fcuking bitch making an elderly woman cry simply because she was out for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

We don't know the numbers in hospital cos of covid and not with covid though. We get the number that has both together. If the hospital is full of people coming in cos they broke a hand or whatever and they test positive but have little symptoms, we don't know that. Even when they say a percentage are being treated, that could be as little as panadol. Unless we got a proper breakdown, you can't trust their numbers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

To be fair to that teacher, most parents are actually expecting the same thing.We all know it will happen.Currently mainly concerned about it due to the absolute hassle of having to stay home with 3 kids bouncing off the walls for 2 weeks. They and I may go slowly insane. We already suffered through 3 consecutive cases of chicken pox here in late 2019, and the worst bit was having to keep them at home for so long, unable to go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

You have a religious zeal some fundamentalist Christians would be jealous of.

I’ve seen this strange phenomenon amongst other people… they are not happy just to take the vaccine, worry about their own health and move one with their life, but actively want to hunt unvaccinated people down. It’s bizarre and slightly frightening if I’m honest. Like the witchfinder generals who hunted down “witches” in the Middle Ages. The same sort of archetype who in a different place and a different time might be in favour of rounding up kulaks or people with yellow stars on their chest.

If you got the vaccine, and it’s so great like you fervently claim, then what difference does it make if joe/Jane bloggs didn’t get it? You’re protected, great for you!

You can’t deny people rights based on what medical procedures they elect to take or not to take. That’s not how a free society works.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I can see where people looking at the figures can come to the conclusion there is no smoke without fire, but smoke may not always be an indication of how fierce the fire is.

Earlier at different stages in this pandemic the smoke of new numbers infected was similar to now, but the fire of those in ICU`s and deaths was much greater. We knew that with the lowering of restrictions new case numbers would rise, but the real test of the efficacy of vaccine was, would those numbers lead to similar levels of serious illness requiring ICU treatment and deaths and they have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Thats true

But you’d have to assume that was always the case and no different than last August

347 in hospital 28th August 2021 vs 30 in hospital on 28th August 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You keep posting these comparison numbers like they mean something; this is apples and coconuts.

It’s comparing to this time last year

It’s apple to apple as far as I’m concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Masks should be gone by November if I’m understanding Eamon Ryan correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

August 2020 0 vaccines in arms

August 2021 6 million vaccines in arms

Much good they’ve done as well compared to last August

12 times more in hospital, 20 times more daily cases

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

There are groups, not just isolated individuals, against the use and normalisation of these internal passports.

Precedents for internal passports: the Soviet Union; present-day China.

And if we'd had as many cases last August as we've had this year what do you think would've happened?

It's really not difficult to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Nutcases. I’m all for vaccination and everything, but there’s a sizeable amount of the population who are obsessed with being jabbed like collecting Pokemon cards or something. It’s bizarre. Everyone should be able to make their own decisions regarding what they take/don’t take into their body.

Good point

Not too different actually

On 28th August 2020

7 day case average was 118 cases per day

On 28th August 2021

7 day case average is 1805

On 28th August 2020 30 in hospital

On 28th August 2021 347 in hospital

So 1805 cases a day in August 28th 2020 would have

1805/118 = 15.2

30 x 15.2 = 456

So 456 in hospital vs 347 in hospital

A 23% reduction after 6 million injections give out

Good result?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Liberty - the oldest human rights group in Britain, founded in 1934, write on their web site (libertyhumanrights.org.uk):

“We all want to get out of this pandemic as soon as possible but this must not be at the expense of our rights or freedoms."

"This has wider implications too because any form of immunity passport could pave the way for a full ID system – an idea which has repeatedly been rejected as incompatible with building a rights-respecting society."

"As there is no clear evidence vaccines prevent the spread of the virus, this move feels like an opportunistic detour rather than a serious route out of the pandemic. [..] We have always supported proportionate action to protect lives, but that must not come at the expense of our rights and freedoms.”

Seriously you haven't a clue.

Last reply you're getting from me as it's clear what your intentions are here.

G'luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Ah right so you won't be on boards again. Good luck pal

Advertisement