Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Very true, the dope never change supplier in over 10 years.

When they got solar a lot of bad habits changed and everyone bought into it. So in a way solar helped them change their ways.

He has very little excess as it goes into the car.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

We changed supplier every year but our biggest change was getting an ev and the day night meter.

Had that in about 6 months before getting solar. With the change of meter, and the change attitude with running dishwasher overnight etc - even with doing 300-400km a week the overall bill hadn't changed.

I'm on track to save about €800 (jan -june was about 400)

Being on the best supplier to your usage is the key. Most of us are high use so unit rates is key, gets very complicated when usage is low, between Cashback and lower standing charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Is there any way of seeing what's going to the grid on the goodwe inverter?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

D

Don't think so, will need ct clamp and meter that can detect out going. I have same set up and trying to figure out what to get to measure export. Inverter in attic and would need a wireless ct clamp i think. Was considering getting a diverter almost same price as meter to read export.

I'm of the same opinion.

Can get an iboost fitted for 435. An energy monitor would be 120. I just need to get the immersion wired up.

• Advertisement

Check the price of Solic 200 wireless is about 250STG to buy think it may be easy enough to install as well.

I was looking at that last week but when you add customs etc, there's very little in it.

I'm lucky close to border and friends on other side to send it to as well. Think iBoost can be noisy according to reviews and immersion just outside bedrooms.

I love when the obvious is stated 😂.

I assume it can be put it the hot press out of the way.

Has anyone any sources for cheap eddis?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It is noisy as it has a fan, that's why I went for an EDDI as placed upstairs beside bedrooms and obviously partition walls upstairs. EDDI is fanless as it uses a large heat sink.

Would it not come on at night when "boosting" the hot water e.g. all through Winter when getting hot water for morning showers...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I think they recommend the iboost to be in open air, eg not in the hotpress.

It is fairly noisy, it seems like fan noise, they must have bought the cheapest fan going if it is

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Why does it even need to be beside hot press (and thus possibly bedrooms)? put it down beside your fuse board? I had asked my installer about connecting both the long and short elements to the eddi but he said in practise it made no difference. If the short (sink) element ran first and got up to temperature, then have eddi switch to heat long element their experience was that the thermostat would still read as the tank was hot enough and the second element would turn off!!! with Eddi beside fuse board its CT connection to check for surplus export is literally there (no need for extra cabling for CT or need to use a harvi, and the power is just a case of redirecting the cable that already goes from fuse board to immersion to be attached to eddi instead!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It depends on your existing wiring, if just one cable running to hot water cylinder from fuse board then it would make sense to position the EDDI near hot water cylinder so you have control on both top and bottom element.

Your installer is talking bollox on the EDDI, I have both elements hooked up to it and it 100% works switching between the two, I have priority going to top element and then bottom element once top heated. The reason for two is that I have the EDDI timed to heat the top element at gloomy days and in Winter I will switch it to bottom element as there will be fek all surplus...it's also extremely handy having control via the App

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

And no my installer is not talking bullshit, as the thermostat on standard 2 coil immersions is between the coils once you heat it for sink only you can't just immediately switch it to bath and hope it will heat the whole tank. the temperature at the thermostat will still be high for the water near the top of the tank hence the 2nd coil won't run. We even tested this because I wasn't convinced. Maybe not all dual coils work like this ? Better way to do this is this is two seperate coils with thermometers such as that one is at the top of the tank and other about half way down the heat the bottom of the tank.

In your scenario with the timed setup your running the bottom element in winter your not running sink and then switching to bath. As I have gas i really only use the eddi in summer to use up surplus electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Hi. This is a pretty long thread! So I might just ask a simple question please. We have a bungalow with a large roof that is South-facing. Apologies if these questions seem simplistic: We currently have a gas boiler. How much would it cost (very roughly) to install solar power? Would solar power heat showers and radiator during winter? Many thanks in advance!

Suggest you read the last few pages for anything to make sense to you

Won't heat your rads. This is electricity and potentially hot water.

That sounds like my house. my advice get as many panels as possible. I started with 16 now have 20 the next step is another 6 when I upgrade the Inverter.

From your post I think you are confusing Solar PV (electricity) with Solar Thermal Heating (heat). Apologies if thats not the case -- its just most people i talk to about Solar PV assume it just the Thermal version!

Solar Thermal heating uses the sun to heat gas/liquid (I think) in panels on your roof and then that heat is transferred to your hot water tank. Some countries like Portugal do use the same system for heating rads but not in Ireland.

This thread is primarily about systems generating Solar PV - Electric power from sun. Where we talk about heating water it is usually via a standard immersion to heat water tank when we generate more electricity than the house requires and thus we send surplus to heat tank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Solar PV is for cutting your electricity bills. A system can cost anything from 2.5k to 7.5k (or even more if you get it from an installer charging above the odds). It won't do anything for your radiators and it also won't heat water for showers in the winter. Solar PV has the highest production in summer (my system produces 10x the electricity in May compared to December but it depends on the angle and orientation of your roof). It's good for reducing your electricity bills and currently payback is 8-12 years but depends on what you paid and how much you use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 NorthByNorthWest

Hi there, this thread has been very useful to see some of the rip off prices being charged.

I've received a quote for a 4.4kWp system (12 panels) , 4kw Huawei Inverter, 5kWh Huawei battery all in with BER cert for 9K after grant. How does that sound?

It was 2.2K cheaper than from another well known company but I suspect still above the odds. Can anyone PM recommended installers?

Where are you in Ireland, its handy to know as not all company's cover nation wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NorthByNorthWest

I'm based near Greystones, Wicklow. Have a nice south facing roof which is now badly needing some panels.

Way over the odds. You can get a different inverter and smaller battery and more panels for around 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

I have an install coming with 14 panels, 4.6kw, 5kw Hybrid inverter, 5kw battery, Eddi Water diverter and 3 optimisers. €6,800 all in after grant, but I have to get a BER. I'm in Bray. Its a crowd in Enniskillen, with a persons name in the company title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Can i get a PM please for a recommendation for quotes/installers in Limerick area please?

Great threads here - been reading for days. I have an installer coming today for a quote / survey will post my results after.

Looks pretty good to me. 5kW battery and diverter and optimisers. I wouldn't worry about the BER. You'd probably get one for 200ish. Just make sure the installers gives you all the documentation to pass on to the BER inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 StiofanMac

Hi all,

I got a quote for 8 pv panels, 1 inverter, 2.56kw from a company in greater Dublin area. Plus BER and some optimisers (?) for potential shading in corners.

it came in at €6,400 after grant (€1,800).

is this in line with competition or should I go elsewhere? Advise welcome!

thank you,

Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Just get the Solar as a Service from mys****.ie for €2400 and buy it out if you want. And for about €500, you should be able to add the 8th panel you want

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement