Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Can you provide proof of those similar vaccination rates?

Doesn’t seem correct from my research

Israel has 80% of adults fully vaccinated last I checked

Whats going on there from m research is vaccine efficacy has went downhill

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Our World In Data will give it to you. I am talking about % of the total population, not over 16s. Israel has a very large number of under 14s, which balances things out. Even in adults it's very mixed.

Just rechecked US, it's only about 52% fully vaccinated.

Thanks

That graph goes up to Feb, it’s not accurate

They've had problems in some ethnic groups anyway and their high rate in adults, which we have well surpassed, equates to only 62% of total population.

Vaccinating kids as you well know has little benefits to hospitals and know one has approved u12’s , don’t know why your using that stick to beat them

They’ve 80% adults fully vaccinated and many have got boosters, they are very well protected to prevent hospitalisations which is all that matters

• Advertisement

There is no stick, it is called a caveat on what their data is showing, especially important if that data is supposed to show the way for the rest of us. They have only hit 62% of total population. Other countries have achieved a much higher rate and were not wide open when Delta hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Eh, you're clearly not familiar with what's going on there. Their hospitals are in very bad shape.

How if 80% adults are fully vaccinated and many have boosters now

Whats going on there?

Vaccine might have wained but still offers 95-100% protection of hospitalisation even if you do get infected?

Bad news for the world if they are in trouble

Strawman stuff now

27% of there population is under 14

What do you want them to do?

Vaccinate babies?

They’ve vaccinated 89% over 14’s, that’s as good as it gets

https://www.statista.com/statistics/526596/age-structure-in-israel/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This isn't the Israel thread.

• Advertisement

You seem intent on shadow boxing now. Anyway as posted above we're way off topic so my last contribution to you on this.

Cause in every thread you keep talking about Israel like they are unvaccinated and saying we are different in Ireland, way more vaccinated than them which isn’t true and you compare them to countries like USA as well

When as you can see

28% ( rounding up) are under 14 in Israel ( no vaccines for under 12s approved )

62% population are vaccinated

Which leaves about 10-15% that can be vaccinated left, this they are at about 85% vaccinated in adults, just like ourselves

Israel are highly vaccinated, why you continue to say they are not is strange

The disaster there is not because of eligible people not being vaccinated, it’s vaccines being ineffective and needing boosters, massive obesity and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

This is the scary thing, they are protected as one could hope for yet restrictions are getting worse there.

This is not a good sign.

It is Hector and I hate the way people act like it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Lads, all this stuff is googleable.

If you just search for the data you need, you won't have to spend so much time formulating terrible opinions.

https://datadashboard.health.gov.il/COVID-19/general?utm_source=go.gov.il&utm_medium=referral

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

You think that despite high rates of vaccination - and beginning to flatten out it's a GOOD thing that restrictions continue or get worse ?

Can't you see if it goes down this road of needing a booster - there will always be portions of the population that will be unprotected , and so restrictions will just go on - forever ?

I mean maybe that;s what you want ...

Hi Hector

Are you talking about here or Israel?, I have no idea what's going on there, only what I see on the news and it doesn't look good for them, hospitals full, booster rushed out, record cases, highly vaccinated from the news I see.

For us here in Ireland I personally think the pandemic is far from over and restrictions will come back or be openly talked out by November, as hospitals are filling up very quickly, from 40 in early July to 326 today, that kind of growth is not sustainable. The freedom we get at the end of September will be shortlived imo, by November it will be nearly 1000 in hospital unless a miracle happens and vaccine's suddenly stop transmission.

Yes the boosters are a waste of time, chasing your tail as they say and gonna be a hard sell. I am double dosed, but will be anti-vax now as no way am I getting another injection for Covid this year or next, I've already ready had covid and double dosed, that should be enough.

Anyway we wasted the last 20 months hiding from the virus, when flatten the curve was always the correct approach, we should have left the non vulnerable young get infected and shielded the vulnerable to not let them all get sick at the same time, but eventually they would have face the virus vaccinated or not.

Natural immunity is far superior than any health in a bottle for covid, many papers are proving it's up to 27 times less likely to be re-infected than to be infected after vaccination

We picked the strategy of pharmacology only, ignored natural immunity and now we have to watch pharmacology fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"no way am I getting another injection for Covid this year or next, I've already ready had covid and double dosed, that should be enough."

Fair play to you, that's the most asinine thing I've read on this forum which is quite an achievement.

How do you see this playing out? That when you get exposed to Covid again, the virus will just say "ah this lad has done enough, let's move on to someone else"?

Surely even as you were typing that, you could see how ridiculous it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

It looks like Australia is even in deeper shite hole that it looked before.

''West Australian Premier Mark McGowan, who enforced some of the toughest entry rules in the country, has indicated he was not willing to open the state if it was Covid-free when the PM’s vaccination targets were met.

The idea that somehow we just bring down the border, we just allow for open travel from NSW or Victoria and infected people come in and we just let the infection run at 70 per cent two-dose vaccination would just be a catastrophe,” Mr McGowan said.

“So I’m just not going to do it.''

I wonder, may be it is time to declare West Australia as an independent new state and close its borders with the rest of Australia indefinitely?

• Advertisement

Nothing in his post suggested that he thought the vaccine was sentient and making decisions about who to infect. Why do you have to be so snide all the time?

His point was probably more that, since natural infection is much, much more protective against reinfection than vaccines are against infection, and he has also effectively had two "boosters" to that far superior natural immunity, he doesn't want to take another shot.

Which is not an irrational position at all.

Unless we get a good, whole-virus vaccine, or a vaccine that targets more than just the one highly mutable protein, the "way out" seems like it is going to be natural infection coupled with transiently protective vaccinations and boosters for the vulnerable.

Australia are actively shooting themselves in the foot with continued harsh lockdowns for tiny infection numbers, leaving themselves with a wholly vulnerable population.

If I’m not protected at 31 years old after having covid and 2 doses, then god help us

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think you are the one being a loon. He has the right attitude. If he hasn't got sufficient antibodies with that lot, further measures would be pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Iecrawfc

in fairness each state has to make up their own mind on it, dont't know how many in WA never have to leave the state and therefore will be happy with this. If people will be happy to spend the next next x number of years cut off from the rest of Australia and the world, i'm sure anyone whos not happy would be making plans to get out(or will he ban that too) so there will be a brain drain effect also. I just hope the other labour premiers don't start taking the same course.

I am from there. The topic of WA secession crops up at least once per decade, usually when the mining industry is going gangbusters and taxation of WA economic activity is being used to prop up NSW and Vic..

Ireland is the shite hole. Currently 10,002 active covid cases per million of population in Ireland vs Australia with 670 per million.

Some people have a very weird perspective on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

It makes me sad to see that the advantaged position Australia had maintained (at great cost to separated families) is slipping away, and that the country, and NSW in particular is now in a massive race to vaccinate people. The health service in Sydney is already in a high pressure situation, with ambulances ramped outside major hospitals and people dying at home. I really hope the situation improves soon as coverage of the population builds.

Unfortunately for Australia, the worst is ahead of them, while the worst is behind us in Ireland. Neither country are **** holes! The current resilience ranking is interesting. Ireland has climbed to 4th, Australia down in the 30's and falling. Scott Morrison should be held accountable for squandering Australia's chance to be looking at the pandemic in the rear view mirror by now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-resilience-ranking/

Honestly the sniping at countries on this thread is abysmal.

Australia and Ireland are in two very different positions geographically, one being a huge, rather easy to isolate island continent that can be quite self contained if it needs to be, the other being a hyper-connected island, about 20% physically bigger than Tasmania, that is deeply integrated into the EU, extremely connected to the U.K., without a physical border and deeply connected into North America too, having cheap, frequent flights in normal times.

They're both handling this pretty well in their own contexts.

Ireland can’t self isolate in the way Australia does, either practically or legally, due to where it sits and how it works.

One has the most widespread vaccine uptake on the planet, the other is using border control measures. Neither of them, despite their respective online hysterical commentators, were overwhelmed nor are they likely to be.

Also both populations handled things relatively pragmatically and got on with stuff in trying circumstance.

No one gives a shite about Covid here anymore. Yesterday I have flown to Amsterdam, in 2 weeks I'm flying to Lisbon. Good luck with your Zero Covid utopia.

• Advertisement

Plenty of Covid here in Dublin either. People are not dropping dead like flies for some reason

Advertisement