Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't buy in a new estate

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

The discussion is about social housing not social welfare. You do know people who work are entitled to apply for housing right, it's not just for those unfortunate enough to fall through the cracks of the employment for whatever reason

Same point, no problem paying for social housing for those who deserve it.

I would prefer to end the free ride for those who aren't bothered and see our social welfare system as something to take advantage of.

I don't think this is unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Totally agree with that.

Social housing is important, just feel its been misused in this country (by the people in charge).

The some are the problem, and can do what they want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Access to social welfare and housing should be made as difficult as possible. It should not be a lifestyle choice. It should be short term, with enough threat to give initiative to make self improvements.

In new Zealand you get garage style housing. Its a right wing country alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well - it depends what you want social for ?

Are you using social housing to calm a runaway speculative hosing market ?

Or is it to house people who need houses ?

I've no problem with the state providing basic decent homes for people - (but I don't think the state should give them away either )

It might be a case though that a 3 bed semi near the city might be unobtainably expensive - but that a 3 bed apartment mightn't be -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I have a problem with county councils competing against people buying on the open market.

Where is all this money coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Is this a FFG spinning thread? Don't buy in an estate, rent off of us instead and you won't be tied down with unruly neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

No. Its a SF/PBP spinning thread. Dont work hard, save hard and tie yourself to a 30 year financial commitment, the taxpaying fairy can supply you with a trophy home for free.

Please keep politics out of it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, councils should build instead of buy.

Add to supply, not demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Houses for social accommodation should be built cheaper and to a lower spec

Of course the media and much of the dail would be up in arms shrieking about " housing apartheid "

So instead the councils rent 500 k Houses for people who have never worked

Mad country

• Advertisement

And most of the taxpayers who fund this struggle to buy a place of their own, or straight up can't afford one as they are outbid by the state.

And there are people in this thread that defend this.

Clown 🤡 world

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Houses built to a lower spec would still be a higher spec than hundreds of thousands of houses around the country.

I'm not suggesting housing people in shacks

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niniboots

I've been reading this, just out if amusement at this point. The troupes, racist and cultural bias is probably the worst I've read on the treads. You do realise there is a threshold for income and social housing is not 'free gaffs', there are thousands falling under the threshold on the gousing lists who work & work bloody hard. I chose to work for lot's more reasons than a home. I've rented, I've lived with parents, I'm a ftb and I've recently reserved a new build. My parents would have been under income threshold for social housing but got lucky and inherited a house, so never had to avail of that social support. One parent worked in the home and second a hard hard job their whole lives. We never begudged those less fortunate. Unless you're living under a rock every society has social housing strategy and systems. Lest you believe those with disabilities, those on low incomes, who are living in a capitalism systems should live in cardboard boxes under bridges. The actual hack of you decrying a system you fuelled. Of course a percentage of the population will always take advantage, that is human nature, I don't condone anto social behaviour and it stinks to live next to individuals who may take advantage. It is not the norm, I know because I work in social services and people are desperate to escape poverty, social stigma and bias. Of course the key board warriors here will state the usual bit of speil, 'single parents', 'travellers', 'unemployed' etc etc etc, the 'housing' list is made up of a great deal more categories but when you actually break it down maybe the social systems, lack of educational access and our culture is at the root. I've yet to meet anyone in my profession, that did not strive for better in their families when they knew better. I'm embarrassed at some of the shite on this thread. Blame government policy and conservative capitalism first. Not the people trying to escape it. Ugh ugly thread mostly breathing fear.

Ah yes, capitalism is to blame for the state outbidding it's citizens in the housing market for the purposes of social housing.

Yes, an Adam Smith inspired policy if there ever was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Live where you can afford not where you aspire to live. That's the problem, if you work you shouldn't be in subsidized housing end of story. Do what our parents and grandparents did, walk 20 miles to work/ drive 60 mins. etc. Better yourself through life and improve your situation not sit there with your hand out waiting for your next pop up. And yes social housing should have stigma attached to it and make people strive to better themselves just like our past generations. Yes they should be all housed in same area together.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niniboots

Maybe the 'state' outbidding is key here. If you read my comment properly maybe you would have replied more intelligent response than a veiled insult.

What insult? Maybe stop making things up, like much of your posts do.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,773 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thread has not become any less appalling.

Do not attempt to create a similar thread on such weak grounds. General discussion on whether social housing should exist is more suited to Politics or Humanities anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement