Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

No it wasn't.

It was determined that that's what MIGHT have happened. There were only two witnesses and one of them was dead by the time the cops came. And as Zimmerman was on trial for murder and Martin was already dead, the benefit of the doubt goes to the accused. So he got away with killing a 17 year old kid.

And even if that WAS what happened, who was at fault? The kid who had been walking home from the candy store minding his own business, or the paranoid blubber butt who had made a "Karen call" to the cops saying that there was somebody behaving suspiciously in his area? ie Wearing a hoodie on his head after dark while being black (it was raining); walking in a meandering seemingly directionless way (he was engrossed in a phone call with his girlfriend) and not being known to the man with the gun (he didn't live in the area normally but he was staying in the area with his father as an invited guest of a local woman)?

Remember that the kid actually ran away from the man with the gun, spooked by the weird older man who was stalking him. It was only after Zimmerman chased him (despite being specifically told NOT to by the police dispatcher) that the fight ensued.

Many people in America rejoiced at the not guilty verdict and then seem bewildered when the "Black Lives Matter" movement explodes a few years later. You don't get away with excusing irresponsible gun toting paranoiacs who provoke unarmed kids into fights and then claim that they have a right to shoot to kill because THEIR lives are threatened by THEIR OWN guns!!! It mystifies me how so many Americans wanted to absolve Zimmerman of wrong doing. In any decent society he'd still be chewing his pillow in prison.

And good thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You don't avoid questions??

For the 9th time of asking, what evidence was supplied to warrent the audits?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The cyber ninjas are not qualified to check for machine and database tampering, they may actually be responsible for tampering with the ballots themselves making the audit worthless.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No it wasn’t. All Zimmerman did was establish he felt threatened and stood his ground. That’s all

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

What evidence is there that the machines or databases may been tampered with?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And that is the fundamental problem with all the "Stand your ground" laws .

The defence is simply "I felt threatened" - As it's a "feeling" it's essentially impossible to refute.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'll go through the basic line of logic (not that I believe it) - Biden won. So, how can that possibly be? It's not as if Biden wasn't polling much higher than Trump in virtually every opinion poll that was out there.

Yeah, but 2016 opinion polls. Hillary. Etc. Look at the early leads for Trump and how it all suddenly turned around. Does that not strike anyone as suspicious???

Frame like that, out of context, and it does sound fishy. Add in the context, however, Trump and Biden's messaging on how to vote was completely different. Trump's was vote in person. Biden's was Covid is real so vote in whatever way you feel safe to do, but postal voting is a perfectly valid option. Add in the further context that many states counted the postal vote second, and now the situation becomes much clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

It's not that I don't like them particularly - I just think they're utter nonsense. Everyone has their opinions.

EDIT: Just noting that you haven't offered an opinion on how a firm with no election auditing experience fits into your "forensic audits" wish to validate the election. You'll be happy enough with the results provided by a company with no proven track record in this field whatsoever? And also one that's refused to cooperate with any congressional oversight? Not a great look, is it?

Post edited by PropJoe10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I get all that. I understand it. But then again I use my brain and I'm not a devoted follower of a cult. Was wondering if Obtuse could provide some evidence 🤣🤣

That poster has made reference to a secret alliance of left-wing activists who have been working to change state voting laws so as to sabotage election integrity. The thing I notice about the allegation of secret alliances and organisations is that because they're secret, they work in a way that is hard to directly perceive, so there's no use in asking for evidence of it because none will be provided. Those making the allegation seem to be working more off a hunch, gut instinct or simply a prejudice. Jon Ronson's book 'Them' covers a few different extremist groups who have little in common apart from a uniting paranoid belief that somewhere in the world there is a shadowy cabal manipulating things to their own evil ends. The idea that Jews were exerting an undue and malicious influence on the world was pretty central to Nazi ideology, and look how that turned out - not well, is the answer. So, the idea must be challenged whenever it arises because those believing in it can become pretty extreme in their quest to defeat these phantoms whose existence is unquestioned because it seems so very, very obvious. The audio-visual hallucinations seem pretty obvious to a schizophrenic as well, but that doesn't mean they objectively exist, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"Siri - show me the definition of utterly pathetic"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

"No reporter follows up"

I guess some reporters still have an idea on what might interest their readers/listeners, and what might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

"Yesterday the conservative transparency group, Judicial Watch, released Secret Service records on dog bites. Dog bites involving the first dog, Major. One email said that Secret Service agents were bitten every single day for eight days, from March 1 to March 8," a reporter said. "At a March 9 briefing," he said, "you only described one biting incident to us, and described the dogs being whisked back to Delaware on a pre-planned trip to family friends."

"Obviously that's not the world's most important story," the reporter said, "but it is significant because we expect honest information even for minor stories. So can you explain to us why there was a kind of misleading account presented to us?"

"And if we can't get information about minor stories, why should we have faith in the administration's account for larger issues like Afghanistan?"

So did the most transparent administration address he crux of the question, " if we can't get information about minor stories, why should we have faith in the administration's account for larger issues like Afghanistan?" Absolutely not.

"I know you do keep the dog in the briefing room," Psaki replied, "so thank you for that."

"As we've stated previously," she went on, "Major has had some challenges adjusting to life in the White House. He has been receiving additional training, as well as spending some time in Delaware where the environment is more familiar to him and he is more comfortable. I don't have any additional specifics, but I think that speaks to where Major is located to be fully transparent in your ongoing interest in the dog."

Psaki did not answer the reporter's actual question about transparency, why the initial White House reports about the dog were incomplete, or what that means as regards the accuracy of other statements made from the Biden administration. Instead, Psaki offered more insight on the condition of the dog.

The follow up if reporters were any good should be about how she can't give a straight answer to a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭blackcard

Good to hear your forecast that the forensic audit will verify that that voting machines and databases have not been tampered with

Sean Spicer can sit the **** down. He was one of the most ridiculous liars ever to gaslight the public and given the others who went after him, that's saying something.

Fox et al being so incensed about a dog has strong "tan suit outrage" vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,995 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yawn.

Every administration promises to be the most transparent ever. No administration has, to date, ever been perfectly transparent. eg. Trump made this same promise but then ceased the reporting apparatus for drone strikes, not to mention keeping classified a lot of the meat in the Mueller report, and other scandals he invoked executive privilege on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

Well this is how we know people are moving on from the evactuation story I guess. Complete and utter nonsense to be worrying about a dog.

Another lawsuit on the way going by that I'd say.

He'll be trying to tap the types of gullible fools that make up trumps base for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Surely this would constitute Ip infringement by Lindell making public a private companies software that he does not own a license for. If the previous case doesn’t finish Lindell this surely will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Good thing Biden reversed the drone strike reporting then.

The behaviour of a completely innocent person....

Hopefully one thing in Trump's future is that he'll go down as the most crass and undignified US president of modern times by a pretty huge margin. I would say all time, but can't say with certainty that certain U.S. presidents of olden times didn't get rough and rowdy. But then again, it wasn't unheard of in the 1800s to challenge someone to a dual with pistols if they slighted you, though that was at least that was in keeping with custom of the time, whereas Trump doesn't even have that excuse.

Anyway, here's an hilarious video directly contrasting Fox News's treatment of claims of electoral fraud in 2016 vs 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

Undignified is not necessarily a bad thing. I think one of the worst developments is the standard, stock politician - who all look and sound the same. That sort of banal politics is repulsive to me; and it's replete throughout Irish politics.

That said, we all know that Sean Hannity is a goon.

Part of me often wonders whether he literally believes the exaggeration of what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Yep. For a man that proclaims himself innocent and whiter-than-white in every single possible situation, he doesn't half try hard to conceal pretty much everything he does.

It is a bad thing. It is a very divisive way to conduct oneself as a politician, and if history has taught us anything, it's that worsening political polarisation is not conducive to a stable society. There are fault lines in any society and the potential outcome is a volatile one if a politician seeks to mess with them. Donald Trump didn't just mess with those lines, he got out a big metaphorical crowbar and set to prising them apart, caring not a jot for the destabilisation he has caused, only seeking to shore up the affection from his own support. This is the definition of political irresponsibility. He has become the all-singing, all dancing leader of a cult of crassness, ignorance and misinformation.

But was that polarisation caused by Trump, or by his political opponents who were the ones who inappropriately responded to it?

You cannot scapegoat Trump and whitewash the reaction to it.

Yeah.

If you are repeatedly provoked over 4 years by someone, you are entirely to blame for your reaction.

He was democratically elected.

That's the point of democracy; loser's consent.

• Advertisement

To answer your question, the polarisation was caused by Trump. He's the one who waded into the political scene and began acting outrageously, making ridiculous populist promises, attempting to abuse his power in office and being nakedly partisan, and not attempting to even pretend to be a unifier. Just a completely reckless and self-centred man. His political opponents can stand up to him, which is not going to lower the temperature, or they can stand-by placidly and let him do as he wishes, which is as bad. Once Trump and Trumpism came on the scene, it was impossible for politics to continue as normal, but there comes a point when anyone must stand up to a bully. Call me old fashioned, but I tend to think the instigator of something is the one to blame, and in this case, that is Trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement